Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Is an equidistant maritime boundary that crazy? With the Canadian proposal if you follow the land border out to sea you stay on the border, but with the American proposal, if you head out to sea perpendicular to the coast you stay in whatever country you were in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
If GGS were just the claim that "geography influences civilization" then no one would have a problem with it. The controversy comes from claims like Europe advanced past China because Europe has mountains and China is a big flat plain, or that Eurasians became more advanced than Africans because Eurasia runs East-West and Africa runs North-South.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
That map is basically what everyone in D&D wants with regard to gerrymandering: a computer generated map equalizing population.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

Unless I am misreading the map, they are labelled "Tribal and Christian".

An United Britain?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
If Americans were going to concern ourselves with correcting flukes of history we'd conquer Canada first :black101:

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Indiana: "At Home"

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Ardennes posted:

Oh god sorry, Sears tower.

So whats a good way to tell, use of concrete versus glass and steel?

If it's made out of concrete and looks like a soviet apartment building, it's probably brutalist.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I wish there were more American irredentists longing for a 54°40 border.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Baloogan posted:

Worst yet is if you let someone know that you are from Vancouver and they are like "OH ! Do you know BOB?"

I don't get why people get offended by this. They obviously don't actually think you know the person they're asking about, but on the off chance you do, it's a great small-world moment.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Also we define the Northern and Southern hemisphere based on the equator, which is defined based on its rotation, not necessarily on its North-South center of mass.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
What kind of popularity is that measuring, anyways? I'd find it hard to believe that the NBA finals or the World Series draws more viewers than the Superbowl in any of those non-football states.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Interesting that Iran moved away from Facebook.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Mercator still has the very useful property that it's conformal, and is the only rectangular projection that's both conformal and maps lines of latitude and longitude to horizontal and vertical lines.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Funny thing about Gall-Peters is it has the least amount of distortion at 45 degrees of latitude.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

Here is a House Map for last night's vote to reopen the US government and avoid a default.

Wow Arkansas is all green.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Peruser posted:

Well the French are weird.

People often forget how far south the US is compared to Europe. New York City is south of Rome, and Miami is well south of Cairo. It's all Canada's fault because their stupid cold air makes the US way colder than it should be.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Some of it's per capita. Unless we are to believe that Qatar has the highest GDP in the world.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Teams drop in and out of the top 25 every week and that map's at least 4 weeks out of date.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Lycus posted:

They actually just used a mercator projection map and a ruler.

That's equirectangular, not mercator

:goonsay:

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Rumda posted:

Can't the relative population sizes between the continents, basically be boiled down to; the same amount of people live in the Americas and Europe, the same amount aas in both in both both live in Africa and the same as the other three combined in Asia.

Though in a program I watched a month or so ago said that by the time the population levels out Africa will hold as many people as Asia, but the rest of the population levels will be more or less the same .

Africa has a billion people, which is the same as North and South America combined, and about 40% more than Europe. It's geographically huge, but it's pretty underpopulated.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
China's got plenty of crazy nationalists.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

duckmaster posted:

Ships may be about as efficient as trains ("twice as efficient" would have been true circa 1985) but in this case it's the route itself which is far more efficient. Far more.

Is it because it's pretty much a Great Circle route?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

What is that little slice of France there

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Whenever Europeans complain that Americans don't know anything about the rest of the world what they really mean is that Americans don't know anything about Europe.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

I just realized Baidu is kind of a joke on googol

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

I can't tell: is San Francisco destroyed on that map or not

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

adhuin posted:

Soft Drink Concentrates? That's one highly specialized economy.

When New Coke was introduced it crashed the economy of Madagascar because Coca-Cola was the largest consumer of natural vanilla in the world and New Coke didn't use it.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

I like that they couldn't find something measurable for Oklahoma so they just went with "Best License Plate"

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
American consumers have no reason to care about chip and pin because we're not held liable for fraudulent transactions for either debit or credit. The worst that will happen in the very rare case of credit card fraud is the mild inconvenience of waiting for the bank to mail you a new card.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
If you make a map of the world where lines of longitude and lines of latitude are straight lines, then you have a rectangular projection. Now presumably you're going to space your lines of longitude evenly because what kind of maniac makes a rectangular projection and makes longitude uneven. That leaves how you distribute your lines of latitude, and the different rectangular map projections all scale the vertical direction differently.

The simplest one is the Equirectangular projection, and there you just space lines of latitude evenly too. In other words, if a north-south distance is 1km on Earth at the equation, and it's 1mm on your map, then a north-south distance of 1km at 60º will be 1mm on your map as well. This projection is nice and simple, but it doesn't preserve areas or shapes. If you drew a big square on the ground in Norway, and then drew it on your map, it would come out rectangular, and if you drew a big square of the same size at the equator, it would be smaller on your map than the square in Norway. This is because lines of longitude on Earth get shorter the further you go from the equator, and at the poles they become zero. But since your map is rectangular, it makes them all the same length, so the further north or south you go, the more the east-west direction gets stretched.

One way to deal with this is to stretch the vertical direction exactly as much as the horizontal direction gets stretched, so that a square (or any other shape) looks the same on Earth as it does on the map, no matter how far north or south you are. This is the Mercator projection, and it's the only rectangular map that preserves shapes and angles. This makes it handy for things like Google maps because it means if you zoom in at the level of a city or a street nothing is stretched or squeezed weirdly. The problem with the Mercator is that it distorts the size of things. An Equirectangular projection already makes things near the poles appear larger than they are since it stretches the east-west, and Mercator makes it worse by also stretching the north-south. In fact it distorts things so badly at the poles that a Mercator has infinite vertical size.

If you don't care about shape, and want to preserve size instead, then you can squeeze the vertical direction to counteract the horizontal stretching. Unlike Mercator, there's a whole family of rectangular projections that preserve area, since the relative size of horizontal and vertical lines don't matter. Equal area projections will make squares look like rectangles, and squeeze the shape of things. However, you can choose a pair of lines a specific distance from the equator where squares still look the squares. These are the standard parallels, and regions near them have the least amount of shape distortion, and of course, no area distortion. There's a bunch of equal area projections with different standard parallels, and the most infamous is the Peters projection. The Peters projection has its standard parallel at 45º, and it's the most eurocentric projection ever made. Africa, SE Asia, Central America etc get distorted beyond recognition, but Europe looks nice and pristine on the Peters projection. Unless you live in Norway in which case, gently caress you.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

Of course GDP/capita isn't an exact science. I don't know if Americans are really 25% richer than the Dutch. Even if they are, are average Americans so much richer than average Dutch persons?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/upshot/the-american-middle-class-is-no-longer-the-worlds-richest.html?abt=0002&abg=0

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Lycus posted:

I had no idea Wisconsites like to drink so much, though I've never been to Wisconsin.

For awhile it was the only state where a dui was just a ticket, not a felony. I think they still allow kids to drink in bars if their parents are with them.

Wisconsin has alot of German heritage

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

Crossposting: Mean and Median centers of population:

http://www.ams.org/samplings/feature-column/fcarc-population-center

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

American states are basically completely arbitrary and I'm surprised some people identify with them as much as they do.

so are sports team allegiances, so...

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Here in Denmark, shops aren't allowed to impose transaction fees on customers using debit cards for any transaction involving the customer buying stuff through an actual human being. Self-service checkout machines count as non-physical transactions though, as do internet shops obviously, where they are allowed to impose a fee, though I'm not aware of any shops actually "taking advantage" of this. That probably helps make debit card usage far more ubiquitous than it might otherwise be.

The fees they're talking about are charged to the merchant by the banks/credit companies. It's on the order of 2% of the transaction, often with a flat fee of 10 or 15 cents per transaction. Very few places (except some gas stations) will actually raise prices on you if you pay with credit, but sometimes they have a credit minimum.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Didn't the Outer Space Treaty already establish that celestial bodies are essentially international? And unlike the Moon Treaty, that one was ratified by just about everyone.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Wait I thought Luxembourg was one of those stupid rich microstates. Why is its education so low?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I wonder, at what point do we include the sea? I wouldnt be surprised if there were more people per square mile in some of the more heavily trafficked trade lanes than the deepest parts of the Sahara or Amazon.

Is the deep deep Amazon really as devoid of people as a desert? Seems like a rich diverse rainforest would at least be able to support a foraging lifestyle.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

What were people on Facebook the most thankful for this Thanksgiving?

That's kind of weird, Illinois.

I like how, aside from the websites, it's all abstract or natural stuff like rainbows or God or freedom, and then Michigan is thankful for electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
It's lower than Libya :stare: