Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

evilalien posted:

That is proper downsampling as it is retaining the dynamic range found in the original audio. You are looking for dynamic range compression. The AudioEngine wiki indicates that it isn't currently yet implemented though it is planned, while the OSD page mentions a Volume Amplification setting that does apply DRC. AudioEngine may have obsoleted this, but give it a try and see if it works I guess.

I use the Volume Amplification setting, but it only works on some files and I don't think it does a good enough job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

To the talk on the previous page about the point of MySQL: One of my favorite things about using a MySQL backend is pausing/stopping a show in one room and resuming it from the correct spot in another room.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

savesthedayrocks posted:

I'm sure I'm just missing it somewhere, but how do you make subtitles appear only when a different language appears? So say 90% of the movie is English and I don't want subs on, but then one scene is in a different language. Obviously I would want subs there.

The only settings I found makes it 100% on or off.

That's called forced subs. You need a subtitle file that specifies that. Doesn't really have anything to do with your XBMC settings.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I was tired of being a remote hawk to not wake the baby.

Yes, this is getting quite frustrating. Whatever DRC XBMC is capable of (via that stupid Volume Amplification slider) sucks rear end.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

How would I make it so when my roomates just randomly download a show that XBMC will still take the download, make a folder (if needed) in my TV directory and place it in XBMC? I'm guessing SickBeard has nothing to do with it as its done without the programs help, and I know I can just use SickBeard after, but automation is awesome.

You can set SickBeard to monitor a folder, so just have them download shows to that folder.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

YouTuber posted:

The Youtube plugin has been abandoned by the developers last time I checked and is in stasis.

And this is why XBMC plugins are so irritating and why if you use many of them you'll have to fiddle with XBMC all the time. I really hope that official plugins start to make an appearance after XBMC devs roll out binary plugin support. I have my doubts about that, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Is binary support coming in xbmc 13?

To tell you the truth, I have no idea. I just remember someone talking about it somewhere. XBMC's roadmap is a trainwreck so I can't tell for sure.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

This thread will give you some insight into why things are the way they are with XBMC development.

Basically, it's the same old open-source story. Devs work on what they want, and it's hard for new devs to get in to helping because there's no good transparent plan or good outreach to new developers. By "good outreach" I mean, that despite the dev teams intentions, new developers get little feedback about whether their feature additions or bug fixes will be considered, have been considered, or are already being worked on by someone else. This means the motivation to work on the code isn't as high as it could be.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Fancy_Lad posted:

I've been toying with the idea of setting up a shared XBMC db in the house and was wondering if something like this would work to host it: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/mysql

It would be running as a VM in any case (only system on 24/7 at the house is an ESXi host), so I'm curious what kind of downside there might be just using a mysql virtual appliance instead of setting up essentially the same thing on my own.

That would work fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm finally getting around to upgrading to Frodo.

How long is the (MySQL) database upgrade going to take? I've been waiting 10 minutes or so and the log file shows its still upgrading the videos db. There's like 9k tv episodes and 800 movies...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mthrboard posted:

Yeah, mine took about 35 minutes with similar quantities...just be patient, it's worth it.

Yeah, that's around what mine took as well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So, I decided to download some music videos off of youtube to try out music video support in XBMC.

I add the directory with the videos, set the source as music videos, and then what? Metropolis has a main menu option for Music Videos, but that just shows that source in Files view (aka it just lists the filenames, extension and all with no metadata).

Is this a skin thing?

How do I do something useful with music videos?

edit: So, it turns out the music video scraper is really picky about file names. They have to be artist - title.mp4. You can't have stuff like "feat. someArtist" in the filename anywhere unless you want to create a .nfo for the music video.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 12, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I have the Next Aired addon configured to refresh listings daily at 2:30AM, but whenever I open it, I quite often have to wait for it to download listings for all my shows.

Does anyone else experience this?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

monkeybounce posted:

Stupid question, but is your machine actually on and awake at 2:30 am? I used to have this issue and it drove me nuts until I realized my machine wasn't awake when it was supposed to update... It doesn't wake to update.

Not a stupid question, but yeah it's on.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Of users who like watching movie trailers in XBMC with something like The Trailers, would you be interested in paying $1/month for a better plugin?

Well, really you wouldn't be paying for the plugin, you'd be paying for a backend service/API that the plugin used to display and fetch information about the latest trailers. It would have the latest trailers from Apple/Yahoo/others within like 10 minutes of them ever being posted along with stuff like genre filtering, source filtering, trailer type filtering (clips, trailers, teasers).

All the trailer plugins suck, so I've been writing something better which is backed by the web service I just described. Initially it was just going to be for me, but if I could get some cash out of it, I would...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Le0 posted:

How do you guys manage fanarts? I leave it to sickbeard but I have absolutely no control on it so sometimes it download weird formats.

Have XBMC do it instead of sickbeard. Seems to work pretty great.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

jonathan posted:

No. But I only use it during social gatherings. Not if I'm just downstairs alone re watching Terminator 2.

Alternative smug response: If you had the setup I did, perhaps you'd think it was impressive!

I have a friend with the whole theater room thing with high end equipment and movie theater seats.

He's got that cinema experience thing going and it's irritating as hell to have to watch that bumper poo poo.

I'm telling you this not to criticize your set up, because obviously some people enjoy it, but if you're using it in social situations you might not be aware that you're probably irritating some of your guests.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Richard M Nixon posted:

In short, handle the media management externally from xbmc and you should not have any worries unless you're doing something incredibly exotic.

You only have to make sure stuff is named correctly and XBMC does a fine job of getting metadata.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That's pretty great looking, but I'm so used to the multiple on-deck and recent items via widgets in Aeon Nox and, from the screenshots, it looks like Eminence only has the one in-progress on the movie page.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yeah I just always liked being able to cut and paste files from Explorer like I was sitting in front of the actual computer. :kiddo:

You don't have to map shares to drives to do this. Explorer browses network shares just fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Does Gotham change the database schema or can I have Frodo and Gotham clients using the same MySQL database?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

i3 is fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sagacity posted:

I've also been running RaspBMC without issue. It stutters a bit on pretty high bitrate 1080p content, but I don't think there's any tiny box (below, say, a NUC) that would play those flawlessly.

My Revo from 5 years ago (or something ) can flawlessly play any 1080p content. I guess it depends on exactly what you mean by tiny.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sagacity posted:

Oh, really? I was trying a 17gb file, about 25mbit. Even playing from a local USB drive it was too much. Could be the encode was flaky, though.
e: And indeed, my PC also doesn't want to play it smoothly. Sorry. :downs:

Yeah, I think the Revo 1800/3600 can play such a file without a problem. Sounds like something is funky with the file encoding or something...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

YouTuber posted:

I do all of my actions from Yatse so menu panning isn't an issue.

I'll ask again since I think the last time got buried. Does anyone have experience running Bluetooth audio to XBMC? Like from a phone and having XBMC play it? Is this possible at all? I see posts talking about sending audio to speakers via BT but never receiving audio.

BubbleUPNP will do this but doesn't use Bluetooth. Not sure if BT is a necessary requirement for you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I haven't really looked at skins since Frodo came out in January 2013.

I just now updated to Gotham and it looks like the new version of Aeon Nox takes out two features that are important to me.

So, I'm looking for a skin that has recently added and recommended widgets visible at the same time for both Tv Shows and Movies as well as support for next aired information on TV shows.

It looks like I can get the old version of Nox that's been modded for Gotham, but it's not in the repo and probably won't be updated very much. I'll use it if I need to, but it'd be nice to change things up.

Anyone know of any skins matching my requirements?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Eminence is pretty nice.

I would prefer recent and in-progress widgets on the homescreen, but I can put one on the home screen and one on the hub.

I would also prefer a view on the Next Aired addon that showed more shows instead of the two posters max is shows now, but as far as I can tell there's no way to change the view.

I also wish it exposed the next aired date when you're browsing shows like Nox does, but as far as I can tell you can't. There's an option to show in in the RSS feed, but I can't seem to get that to work.

Amber is also nice.

It has nice homescreen widgets. It doesn't have Next Aired skinned, so it looks like Confluence, and of course doesn't have the next aired date when browsing shows.

Actually, the Confluence skin for Next Aired is the best organized one I've seen, it just doesn't match the rest of the skin when you open it.

I guess I'm just too used to the features of Aeon Nox 4. However, I think I'm going to try and give Eminence a go for a while.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Keito posted:

Why exactly are you guys so obstinant about allowing closed source addons? It would only result in less third party developer cooperation and likely poor multiplatform support. Accommodating DRM'd components would be giving up a lot for minimal returns, and could easily make XBMC's add-on side into something like the cesspits called "app stores" on mobile. Just buy a Roku/FireTV/Android TV or make a launcher shortcut to your service's site/app if proprietary streaming technologies are what you want, but don't bring any of that mess into XBMC if it comes caring a truckload of poo poo-soaked baggage.

Opinions presented as fact in this post.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Bobx66 posted:

Hey are there any widgets that interface with sickbeard? I am specifically looking for something that will display my history and upcoming episodes.

I don't know if this helps, but TV Next Aired addon will show you upcoming episodes for all your shows, and lots of skins have a widget that shows recently added shows.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

jonathan posted:

Cool thanks for the info. Maybe I will just ship an sdcard back and forth.

If I was doing this, I'd just set up Plex for them and run Plex Media Server at your place.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

jonathan posted:

Actually what are some decent boxes that have a plex client ? Maybe that is the solution. I can do 15mbit upwards, will plex server know to downgrade bitrate for an internet connection ?

In the meantime you can use the plex Web server to check out streaming on a computer to see if there's a problem with plex media server or if it's your TV.

It should handle figuring out your connection speed, but there's also options in the server and the client to fool around with.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

If anyone cares, I whipped up this script to help change paths in a MySQL database if you change the name of your server or the path to your files for all or some of your media.

It might blow up your library, so don't get mad if I messed up. I don't see anything obvious I did wrong, and I did test it a bit. Backup your database.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

XenJ posted:

Hope It's not a dubble post... feel free to take a lock to this little open source program if you have to fix some tags for XBMC in your MP3 database... I love it, easy use and a good documentation.
Works with linux, MacOS and windows.

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard/Documentation/Options

Dwonload's https://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard

This post Is dubble good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ixian posted:

I didn't know about the Nordic workaround - looked it up, VPN, pre-paid Visa card, don't know how that would work any experiences? Probably can't post publically here, I'm sure.

And yes, getting HBO shows for free is quite easy, and in some cases a lot easier, but call me a romantic, I like knowing I'm paying them for the value I get. Just wish the cable monopolies didn't have them so locked down in the US that I have to pay more than them.

Pay them, and then get them the easier way.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sagacity posted:

I ran a Pivos Xios DS for a while but it doesn't handle 24p content so playback of movies is fairly jerky. Also their XBMC support was basically alpha/beta quality all the time with random crashes and bugs that disappeared in one version and reappeared in the next. I then tried a Raspberry Pi for a while running OpenELEC and that was pretty decent but the Pi itself is so slow it takes ages to update and scroll through the library. In the end I ordered a fanless dual-core 1.8GHz Celeron C1037U from Aliexpress and that has been working pretty well with OpenELEC. It still has a few small annoyances: it plays 23.976fps content as 24fps so you get a jerky frame every few minutes and the Wake-On-LAN / Sleep doesn't work properly so I need to turn it on by pushing a physical button. Still, it's completely hassle-free in all other aspects.

This reminds me...

What do I need to do to get movies to play smoothly in panning shots where it kind of skips?

I've got a decent enough Core 2 Duo machine with an AMD 5xxx card.

Is it the fact that the TV I watch movies on a set that only does 60Hz?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Is there any reason to put quality information in filenames any more? Like "720p" or "x264"...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I decided to disable putting any of that stuff in there. I mean, I get the point about keeping BluRay in there, but for usenet reasons I always get duplicate entries when I get a new copy of an episode and have to clean the library.

Unless, there's a way to get around that problem while keeping the source info in the filename...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uthor posted:

I was asked to explain nfo files in the HTPC thread.

Note: it may be easier and more appropriate to update the scraper databases instead of creating custom files. Be default, XBMC uses TheTVDB for TV shows and The Movie Database for movies. I use this only for things that don't belong in the databases, but that I want to still see in XBMC (eg, custom movie for DVD special features, custom TV Show for shorts from a longer episode). The initial question came up for adding YouTube clips to XBMC and things like Bee and Puppycat, Mighty Car Mods, AVGN, etc already have entries in the database; it is appropriate to add YouTube shows to TheTVDB.

I'll start with movie files as they're easier:
1) Create a file with the exact same name as your movie file, but ending in .nfo (eg, "Pulp Fiction 1994.nfo"). Save the .nfo file in the same location as the video.
2) Copy the code out of this page: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/movies from <movie> to </movie>.
3) Fill out the info! You can delete rows that you don't need. I usually just keep the name, run time, plot, and director/actor information.
4) Pull up XBMC, update the library, and the info should show up. If the video was added before creating the .nfo file, you'll have to refresh the data. It will pop up a box saying that local information was found (the .nfo file) and if you want to ignore it and use a scraper. Say "no".

TV Shows are very similar, but a little more involved. You will need a file for the TV Show, then one for every episode.
1) Create a file named "tvshow.nfo" exactly (not the name of the show). Save this file in the root directory of the TV show.
2) Copy the code from this page: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/tvshows and fill out what you need. This is info for the TV show as a whole.
3) Create an .nfo file for every episode. These will be named exactly the same as the episode video files (eg, "Superjail! - S01e00 - Bunny Love.nfo"). Each file needs to be saved in the same location as the video file.
4) Copy the code from this page: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/tvepisodes and fill out what you need. This is info for the individual episode.
5) Update your library same as with custom movies.

The only thing left is adding images.
For movies, poster images should have an aspect ratio of 1:1.5.
For TV shows, I follow the guidelines at TheTVDB
-posters at 680x1000
-banners at 758x140
-episode images at 400x300 (4:3 aspect ratio) or 400x225 (16:9 aspect ratio)).
Fan art for both is either 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

Save those files somewhere you can find them, then edit the information of the movie/TV show/TV episode in XBMC, and browse for the local art on your computer.

This is very useful information that should definitely go in the OP.

However, I actually meant how are you getting youtube shows into XBMC as TV Shows!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uthor posted:

Oh! I download the files from YouTube. I'm not actually linking the YouTube videos themselves.

(does this fall under :filez: ?)

Nah, it's fine. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

You can talk about breaking DRM on your own files for your own use all you want.