Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

My parents' house shed a whopping 1.6% of its value. Mortgage paid off as of 2009. Wut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Every single co-op I've ever heard of has always fell into horrible drama, the more hippie-ish the more likely. All this cooperation and democracy and communal labour sounds nice but all it takes is a single disagreement and suddenly the entire building is a hostile environment and nothing gets done and poo poo is falling apart. A dude I knew bought into one somewhere in central BC that was a group of "like minded" arty hippie types and within a few months it was basically survivor with factions and plots and people forming alliances to kick other people out or make life miserable for them. And these aren't idiot 20-somethings these are fully grown adults. Then again co-ops tend to attract a few "types".

In a more urban setting a co-op near me for more rich people ended with a legal clusterfuck when some of the owners decided to just do renos and additions without approval from the co-op. Last I heard they've spent more on legal fees than the renos were worth, mostly fighting each other in a couple blocs of residents. One side is demanding the people who did the renos to pay to restore things to how they were, mostly out of spite, while the people who did the renos to their unit are demanding compensation or something to reflect the "increased value" they added. It's apparently a deadlock so the co-op can't resolve it so off to court.

Condo strats are bad enough and those at least have legal ownership, co-ops are just a recipe for cliques and politics and getting absolutely hosed because you didn't make the right political alliances. I'm sure it's a bit like e/n where you only hear about the hosed up situations, I'm sure there's successful drama-free co-ops.

This is absolutely not my family's experience with co-ops at all. They're pretty swell imo.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Sounds legit.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Property is theft, Comrade.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

I don't want to bail your stupid rear end out while you live high on the loving hog like a motherfucker baller leasing out beemers and poo poo, like every loving vancouverite does.

And you really shouldn't. Vancouver is a nice place but the people are absolute scum. I say this as someone who grew up in Vancouver and is now living in Seattle. God, the Americans might subscribe to some loving dumb rear end politics but at least they're nice people.

I have to explain to friends and family that just because you rent, doesn't mean you're homeless. I can't seem to convince the majority of my social circle of this fact.

I think your problem is that you just have awful friends. Have you tried getting better friends? :shobon:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I just paid off my student loan which brings me to a staggering zero percent :smugbert:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Who the gently caress designed this?

A prism with some other prisms randomly sticking out of it? It looks like a retarded toddler's Lego project.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Can't wait to trust a strata council 20 years from now to keep the system and security up to date. Who are we kidding, poo poo like this is installed to quick sell a condo and then be abandoned by the strata a year later for probably quite valid cost and security issues.
Don't worry, Samsung will cut off updates after 1-2 years like they do with all of their products :shobon:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

etalian posted:

also lol:

Low vacancy and high rent. Why am I not feeling the urge to move to Alberta

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I feel like I'm having a schizophrenic breakthrough, because I suddenly see all the connections between lovely 3hr commutes, inflated suburban property values, miserable Torontonians/905ers and the election of Rob Ford.

It's.... beautiful.
I've seen time lapse videos of a Toronto car commute and like, god drat how do these people go on living?

Shifty Pony posted:

Wait you can rent a goddamn furnace? This is a business model that exists?
Direct Energy is a scam where they offer you a fixed rate on your hydro or gas that just happens to be a few points above the mean of the rates you'll get if you just pay the power or gas company directly. They claim that those regular rates are very fluctuant, and that's a real problem when you're on a pension or other fixed income and barely break even each month because of whatever you spend all your money on. So why not pay a fixed rate to a middle man at a small premium which is commonly pitched by slimy door-to-door sales dicks and cold callers.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 26, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

"And cut into my $200 a week booze budget? Nah, stuff like this is what my line of credit is for" --a shocking number of people I know

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Link? As a cyclist, I enjoy car-commute schadenfreude.
This is at noon on a Saturday. It's no surprise to me that Ontarian suburbanites are so angry and lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miErXMuzxAA

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

"To be honest with you, it's fairly small, but for the price, it's worth it," said Ramadan Eshref, who visited the sales centre and was considering buying a suite in the building for his son, a recent university graduate.

"For a single man like my son, for example, it's reasonable. Hopefully it will be a start for him."

What a great dad! :haw:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

James Cheng just got his poo poo pushed in by some nimbys. A loss for this gently caress face is a victory for all.

Where were these guys when the equally disgusting Telus Garden was being proposed?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

Jesus, gently caress. That's exactly what McCain said just before the American economy took a nosedive in 2008.
It's also exactly what Harper said just before Canada went into recession in 2008.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Baudin posted:

I love the "turning pristine wilderness into mordor" line

Have you fuckers ever driven around Fort Mac and seen your "pristine wilderness?" It's hardly some shining wilderness which is being converted to a smoke and tar filled landscape. Really wish I had taken some pictures of the landscape while I was up there.

e: I'm not saying that they're doing a swell job at environmental reclamation, but saying they're destroying pristine wilderness is a bit :ironicat: based on what I would term favourably as a bog.
What was there used to turn carbon dioxide into oxygen. Now, well, :smith:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

etalian posted:

-Can you remember any premier made in Canada products similar to BMW, Iphone or Google?
Top engineers from all over the world come to Burnaby to churn out the finest officially licensed annual video game football jersey recolour your earth money can buy

I'm pretty sure blackberries weren't called "smartphones" until iphones came out and consumers actually wanted to own smartphones.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 31, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Reminder that Hal used to fly off the handle with incredibly unintelligible and bizarre arguments whenever he stopped taking his medication (not that I'm upset to see him back- hey bud! :)).

Speaking of unintelligible and bizarre arguments, I had one with my girlfriend last night re: Direct Energy (I sat my rear end down and caught up with the thread last night). I thought that DE sounded familiar and asked her about it, it turns out that a few months ago she'd told me that her sister was using them and that she thought that we should too. When I told her about what I'd read she became upset and told me that they aren't a scam and that not everything on the Internet is true.

So e/n, can you tell me more about Direct Energy I guess?

Years ago I was invited to a "job interview" with Direct Energy which was more like 10 people in a room with 50 chairs facing the front of a conference room, in a largely empty office that looked like it had very recently been moved into (I noticed the "receptionist's" phone wasn't plugged in).

A guy with a slick haircut and a flashy but cheap suit began to tell us about this "direct sales opportunity" (e.g. door to door sales) where everything is on commission and nobody makes a salary of a wage. He explained how how we could be making up to 100k in just a couple years time by signing up enough of our friends to do the same. He spent a lot of time talking about how "job jobs" where you are paid hourly or a salary are obsolete and the future belongs to those smart, dynamic individuals who can basically hustle and make sales. This culminated in him telling us to buy gold and Google Ron Paul (he circled the name on a whiteboard).

It was a complete waste of time and the other 10 or so "candidates" all left with disappointed looks because I guess we all expected to find "job jobs" and not, you know, real jobs where you work for potentially nothing and the only way to get ahead is to participate in a pyramid scheme.

Some months later that same guy came to my door, sans flashy suit, with a nervous looking zitty teen in tow, and attempted to sell me Direct Energy.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

etalian posted:

more like abbots can't afford Vancouver

:vince:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lol @ criticizing Vancouver's economic diversity and quality of life when you live in Calgary

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

They'd still do it, because plugging a few numbers into a web form is far too much hassle for the busy suburban commuter.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

Coffee places seem to attract pretentious, self-important wastes of flesh like nothing else. It probably stems from the same mental defect that makes paying $5-6 for a beverage you can make at home for peanuts seem like a good idea.
Caffeine is a hell of a drug.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Rime posted:

The day after drinking two or three cups of Deathwish I finally realized the hypocrisy in banning amphetamines but not caffeine.

Amphetamines aren't banned. Just ask your doc for some Adderall. :science:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Rime posted:

You know it's been Schedule 1 for years and they largely refuse to prescribe it now due to the hassle involved, right?

You just haven't been asking the right doctor.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lexicon posted:

No wonder [especially Western] Canadians think renting is for losers. This is some bullshit boarding school dormitory poo poo, and shouldn't be tolerated.

It is a fire inspection. For safety and insurance purposes. The fire inspector guy came and checked the smoke alarm and left. The building manager wasn't even with him. It's fine. They did give a full weeks notice though.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yeah Vancouver is literally China. Exactly the same except for a lack of air pollution, majority white Anglo population, one hour drive to the states, not a communist dictatorship, etc etc. how anyone can tell the difference is beyond me.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 27, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

My parents who are pretty left wing and unracist are completely convinced that it's all because of the Chinese, it never entered into their minds that cheap credit had anything to do with it.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Literally don't give a gently caress about ever owning a house. I'm going to move into a $500,000 condo and live in it for as long or as little as I want, and its not gonna be 20 years.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 27, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Too bad for all the people in this thread who seem to do desperately want to see others suffer, I guess.
Tar sand workers having to find new jobs is certainly no worse than the suffering they have inflicted upon others in their irresponsibility and their greed, digging up what is basically unburnable oil and deregulating everything that stands in their way. gently caress them.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 27, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'd be okay with them just having to find new jobs, new things to invest in, maybe go to school or something

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Okay, but it is a dictatorship. And don't fuckin say Canada is one, I'll cut you.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yes, clearly the guy welding oil pipeline pieces together is a shameful human being because
Im sure he is very nice but forgive me if I don't cry bitter tears when his industry collapses to the benefit of all of humanity. Surely he can find something else to weld instead. :qq:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 28, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Since we're on the subject

You'd think they'd use a photo of them actually putting out a fire instead of "Welp there's no saving this one, stand back boys!"

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Whiteycar posted:

Just another signpost on all signs point to duh for Calgary City Council being in the back pocket of developers.

Does there even exist a city anymore where this does not ring true?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

BC can't legalize weed, even if it wanted to. It can't "defend prohibition" because the prohibition is entirely up to the federal government. There is a big movement in BC, the Marijuana Party is headquartered here and there was a big petition to decriminalize a couple years back, but it didn't garner enough signatures and anyway BC does not have the ability to rewrite federal law. We do however have dozens of "dispensaries" for "medicinal cannabis" which are probably illegal, but the police (Vancouver Police anyway) don't seem to care. They even take credit cards.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 17, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Well most of our communities are policed by the RCMP which is a federal police force. The City of Vancouver can pretend to have legal "medicinal" weed by neglecting to enforce the laws. But BC does not have a "state police" as it were and it does not have the authority to tell the cops what they should or should not be enforcing.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 17, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Brannock posted:

Why would we want a NDP government when Mulcair is actively trying as hard as he can to suck up to business interests?
Because it's clearly the best alternative available to us at this time. You think Trudeau or Harper would be better? How about Liz May? Lol

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Some of the brightest, most promising people I know ended up in social media marketing. Such a waste :negative:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

~Energy superpower~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I missed the part about them spending all their money on their wedding. Amazing.