Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Oh yeah ninja steel had the parents episode where the two girl rangers parents meet and are obviously gonna gently caress so the rangers do everything in their power to sabotage their dates because 'it would be weird'

Go-Busters, by contrast, had an episode where they finally found their parents only to discover they’d been dead the whole time, and Red Buster had to destroy the computers holding their digital memories, which he did while crying. Pretty similar theme but it’s really interesting how the two shows approached it differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Carlos are in trouble

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

For me, a good final mech is measured by whether it includes every other machine on the show.

Good examples:

Ultimate DaiBouken - everything included, looks good
G12 - everything included, probably can’t actually move but who cares when it’s built like a brick shithouse
Go-Buster King - Includes everything but Ace, which is actually a positive because Ace works better as an individual robot. Has a lion on its chest, which is Optimal Lion Positioning.
Samurai Ha-Oh - loses points for using half the mecha as a display stand. Gains all of them back for looking like an absolute unit.

Special mention to the early Ultrazords from the MMPR era, which got around adding an additional mech by having the existing robot stand inside it - an aesthetic that Ninninger would later demonstrate can absolutely be ruined.

Bad examples:

Kanzen GokaiOh - loving bullshit mech, leaves GokaiOh’s limbs and GoXyuJin’s entire body behind as spare parts.
Gigant Kyoryuzin - Pathetic excuse for a final mech. You’re just sticking poo poo onto the original robot, which could only use three mechs from a starting lineup of five anyway. Omits fully four mechs from a lineup of ten, including the 6th ranger’s ride. Just a loving waste of space.
Kyutamajin - hey lets give each ranger their own cool space vehicle then use most of the design budget on these dumb loving balls that make literally all of them look ridiculous. And then we can have them all combine by getting rid of the cool vehicles and just stacking balls on top of one another. Oh wait that’s not actually the final combination - we’re doing a dumb brick that barely even works around the stupid ball gimmick, and won’t combine with poo poo - in the final combination, other robots stand near it and pretend its a gun.
Good Cool Kaiser VSX - couldn’t possibly use every trigger machine on the show because they produced so many of the pointless loving things it clearly started draining the budget for scripting and acting. So loving ridiculous that it could only be used in CGI shots, presumably because the weight of the suit would have crushed the spine of the poor bastard they stuck inside it. Manages to make a six limbed robot made of cars, trains and planes look boring, which is quite the achievement.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I can't agree with this metric since Gaoranger started this thing of Pokemon-style collect em all robots that are just accessories to the main robot. Hurricanger goes as far as randomly slapping every handheld weapon used by the mechs on Revolver Mammoth, which takes it to an extreme level since those weren't even defined as standalone robots but simply as weapons the mechs spit out of their chests like a gumball machine.

Counterpoint: every robot and accessory in both of these shows looks like a piece of poo poo. I’d say it’s the worst design slump in Sentai history but the current slump puts it to shame.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Zedd posted:

It didn't last long though.
Samurai/Shinkenger, sorta Go-Busters/beast Morphers and the cube one use all main units. Kyuuranger, LuPat , goseiger and gokaiger had a ton of leftovers.

Go Busters is great because the Ultrazord is just all the auxiliary machines combined, giving Ace maximum time to shine. Kind of like the Mega Tigerzord, now I think about it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today on Power Rangers, I let a man I love very much edit the episode but it took a while due to RL bullshit.

I can’t tell whether you or your boyfriend are the most talented. Five stars.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

This is Power Rangers. If it does happen it’ll be Tommy’s son, which they’ll use to explain why he gets a mid-series Power-up that turns him into the new White Ranger.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Not strictly PR-related, but Sailor Moon is close enough and Lizard Wizard needs more praise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2ccrpJHpX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AXFLp1Z0aE

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

There's some blog (whose name escapes me) that basically posts whenever a former Ranger is on something.

I can't remember much aside from being depressed after one too many "Remember this ranger? He/she is a background character on {show basically one notch above or below Power Rangers} in episode {X}!"

RIP Sky from SPD, killed at the Battle of the Binary Stars.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

On the topic of recommendations, once again I'll be the one to suggest looking up the Super Sentai originals, especially since Shout Factory has them up for free streaming

Strong agree. In particular:

Mahou Sentai Magiranger - Power Rangers, but they are also wizards and all brothers and sisters. I’m not sure if it was trying to build on the popularity of Harry Potter or what. Strong cast, a couple of good overarching plots through the series, good mech design. Adapted as Power Rangers Mystic Force.

Samurai Sentai Shinkenger - One of the rare Sentai series to just take a serious premise and play it mostly straight. A great cast, especially Red, who gives a really deep performance. A really solid series. Adapted as Power Rangers Samurai, and they apparently tried to use the plot points almost beat for beat, leading to a white dude with a Japanese last name being mentored by a Maori guy.

Tokemei Sentai Go Busters - Another mostly serious Sentai. Set in the far-flung future year of 2012, humanity has harnessed a clean energy source, but computer terrorists led by a sentient program want to steal it. Notable for Enter, who is hands down the best acted antagonist in any Sentai show - (over)acted brilliantly by Syo Jinnai. The plot goes to some really interesting places, and the ending is spectacular. You can see that Toei were experimenting with a bunch of stylistic changes for this season, and apparently they all failed domestically, but they work together to make a really watchable show. Adapted to Power Rangers Beast Morphers, which is currently airing but doesn’t quite hit the same high points.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

I know some people here said Kyuranger wasn’t good, but I really like those designs.

The suit designs are the only good part of the series. The mechs, monsters and plot were all quite bad.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Fezz posted:

Think they'll use any of the Super Sentai Strongest Battle footage?

The team from that includes two characters from skipped shows, and the least charismatic red ranger ever to appear on TV.

So yeah, probably.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's an extremely simple system;
5 - Thunderbird 4
4 - Thunderbird 5
3 - Thunderbird 2
2 - Thunderbird 1
1 - Thunderbird 3

What could be an easier system than that

Imaging ranking the Thunderbird vehicles and not making Thunderbird 2 number 1. This loving post.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

I remember reading a comment frim the White Ninja Steel Ranger's actress that she only got to do her own fight stuff once or twice because I'm guessing the production schedule is so fast they didn't have time otherwise.

Also related, Trini was my favorite character in the Go Go Power Rangers run. Making her a military brat was a nice touch.

She didn’t have a lot to work with in the recent movie but the character worked well there as well.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Sky from SPD got Klingon jihaded in the first episodes of Star Trek Discovery.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Chris_Violette

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Junpei posted:

wait poo poo are they going to have Javi get his arm cut off??????????????????

It’s tourniquin’ time!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I'm aware of this, but I was also a believer post-Megaforce that I no longer wanted to see JDF in the costume with the helmet off because it just looked so drat goofy to see those costumes on someone of an advanced age. I suspect I'm in for a lot of that sort of thing. Voiceover atop stuntmen in full costume is fine, of course.

I have good news and bad news for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

AJ's also responded to people who assume they didn't pay her enough to do the special. She pointed, not unfairly, that maybe she can't fly to New Zealand for however long or just didn't want to wear spandex in her fifties. (I'm sure the pay scale wasn't great, mind.)

Counterpoint: New Zealand is lovely and she missed an opportunity for a nice working holiday.