Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nah, that looks mostly like surface rust. You're fine as long as there no major pitting on machined surfaces, I bet. Try electrolytic rust removal (all you nee is a car battery charger, a bucket, some sodium carbonate (NOT bicarbonate) and some sacrificial steel. Google it - it's amazing!) or one of the rust dissolver solutions. either can be done at home and are fairly cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

Anybody ever seen a CNG-powered Crown Vic, or do they only exist to waste another five seconds of my life at the parts store when the guy asks what engine I have? On the other hand, you don't have to know the stock tire size, just tell the guy at the tire shop "I need cop car tires, [model year]" and he knows the numbers to look up.

I've seen a number of CNG-badged public service Crown Vics here in the DFW area. DART, county inspectors, that sort of thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Uhaul gave me poo poo about towing the EXP with the Lightning.

"Your truck doesn't have 4WD, what if you got stuck???"

What? I... That... What?
I'm not even sure how I would respond to that. There's words there, bit they don't make any sense.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

My wife's grandmom can no longer drive, so we are going to sell or donate her '94 Grand Marquis. As the family car guy, I've been tasked with making sure it's OK. It's been sitting for almost a year, and had a few minor issues before then.

Once we replaced the long dead battery, it started right up. Drove and stopped fine, so no major work, at least.
I'm driving int to work a few day to make sure nothings bonkers, and get some fresh gas in it, etc. Will change the oil.

Both driver's power windows are reluctant to go down, and won;t go up - I think I know what that issue is, and have ordered the little clutch rollers for the gear assembly. Hopefully it's not the gear itself. I'll know when I get in there.

Power mirror on the driver's side doesn't work at all, and the passenger side only goes left and right, no up an down. Is the mirror switch a common problem? I intend to look at it and the wiring when I pull the door panel for the PW, but any info beforehand would be appreciated.

The only other issue is that the ABS light comes on when driving. I'm assuming that one or more of the sensors is pooched. How do I tell? It stops fine, but you know how people are about warning lights.

Headliner is trying to come loose in the back. I'll try to get some glue in there before it gets worse.

Beyond that, the car is nice. Power everything, leather, aluminum wheels. Shifts fine, engine is strong (only 59K miles!)The suspension is floaty, but it's a Grand Marquis. Dunno if it's got the air ride in the rear, but if it does, it's working fine. Stored outside but under a carport, and serviced regularly by one mechanic she trusted. A true grandma car.

I can definitely see the appeal of these things. With a bit stiffer suspension, I'd drive it everywhere.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

This seems to have followed me home over the weekend:

No, not because I got in trouble. It's mine!

Here's what it looked like later in the day after a couple hours quality time with 3M Adhesive remover:

Bought it from my cousin, who bought it from the security company he worked for, who bought it from a DFW-area PD. Looks to have never been a patrol car - there's only one hole in the roof, it never had a cage, the rear vinyl seat is in good shape, and the wiring isn't butchered. It's scungy inside because no one ever cared to clean it, but it's intact.

2005. 143K miles. $1500
Rubber floor mats, cop buckets. Factory AM/FM sounds surprisingly good. No major dents, not even much parking lot rash. Scratches in the paint, particularly form where my ham-fisted cousin removed the stickers with a razor blade, and some flaking paint here and there. Fortunately touch-up paint is available at the local O'Reilly's.
May need an alignment. The spare in the trunk:

and the fronts are a little more worn on the edges. New-ish tires on the back, so I'll rotate those up there to give me some time to get it sorted.
No major leaks that I could find. Rearend is weeping a bit. I know he replaced an axle, so I'll take a look at that. Appears to have a LSD, given the striped I laid down in front of the house (with the traction control on!), but I need to check the option codes to be sure.
AC is awesome, nice window tint. runs great, but the alternator seems to have a bad bearing . Charges fine, but noisy in a bad way.
Cousin said it was throwing code P0401. He pulled the battery, so nothing was set when I had it checked at Autozone, but nothing was ready, either. It hasn't been inspected or tagged since September due to the check engine code, so that's first to fix.
Need to paint the wheels - the factory coating is wearing off and there's a little surface rust.
Power windows, locks, mirrors all work. Cruise works. Lots of HP compared to the stuff I have been driving (4-banger Cherokee, well-worn '90 RX-7, 2008 Kia Spectra5).

I like it!
Selling my XJ Cherokee to a friend for the cash and space.
Best part is that it will get me better gas mileage than the 2.5L Cherokee.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

T1g4h posted:

Nice! Looks pretty clean, congrats on the purchase!

Thanks! I look forward to driving the hell out of it.

djhaloeight posted:

White panthers always have problems with the paint peeling, flaking, etc. There's something wrong with the paint or how they applied it IIRC. Maybe someone who knows a bit more about it than I do will chime in. Otherwise, nice Vic for a good price!

Yeah, I gathered, from the nature of some of the spots. primer, rather than bare metal showing. Chevy had a similar problem back in the '80s, as I recall, then again in the '90s with the switch to water-based paints.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

98 plain Jane crown vic, can anyone tell me Where the coolant temp sensor harness comes From?

Customer did their own work and "lost it." :eng99:

That white plug? Wish I could help. I just looked, and my 05 CVPI doesn't have one there. The boss is on the crossover, but unmachined. Sorry!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

The end guess as far as I could tell was that it was a Dorman manifold. I took it off because whoever did their work butchered it and it was hemmoraging coolant. On removal I found no loose or unused plugs, most of the lower intake bolts finger tight, and a standard lower gasketset along with O ring seals in the manifold itself. Reassembled it after getting the correct Dorman replacement O ring kit and eliminated the double gasket OEM ones and all of a sudden no leaks. Gauge works and scan tool data shows coolant temp so I just said gently caress it and left it in there.

Yeah, mine gets it from the one on the left side of the coolant passage with the black plug. I bet that one on the left is to accommodate earlier model 4.6s, and should just have a pipe plug.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Got one of the rear doors in my P71 working from the inside last night. Used threaded inserts and M6 bolts to replace what rivets I had to drill out. Man, I am so glad I bit that rivnut tool. Probably do the other door tonight.
Need to go back to the yard and fine some half-decent carpet, among other things. There was a fresh Town car with leather buckets there. Black, but I can make that work with the grey interior, I think. And what the hell is it with the ash-tray/cupholders on these things? Mine has one cupholder broken, and the face of it that matches the dash is missing. Every one I saw in the yard was either broken, missing the face, or the earlier style. Design flaw?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wolrah posted:

The engine itself fits but there are clearance issues with other things in the engine bay, IIRC it was something mounted on the firewall that caused the biggest issue. I think it was one of those things where you could move things around and/or not hook up certain "optional" accessories like A/C and it would fit.

I'm pretty sure any of the roots-style superchargers require additional hood clearance with a cowl style setup or a hole.

Wasn't the Marauder a 32-valve?

edit: yep.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 16, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Huggable Bear King posted:

Hey I just came in here to bitch about the exact same problem!

I want to say that ford has issued some kind of recall on the LCM and you can get this replaced for free but with my ford dealings in the past that might be wishful thinking. One solution I've found to work quite well is to give the dash a good kick right where the LCM is (18" up from the pedals), I've been doing this for weeks now and the lights kick on every single time. Seriously though the LCM is a huge problem with these cars, why it doesn't just bypass into manual headlight mode when it fails is beyond me. So first step is to kick it, if the headlights come on it's the LCM and you should bitch at your local dealer and see if you can get a free replacement out of them. If not try ebay and amazon, there are rebuilt LCMs (it's a loving $10 relay that causes the problem) for way less than the $600 that the part actually costs from Ford. There is also a bypass kit I've seen, it's $75.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-599-200-Lighting-Control-Solution/dp/B0049DSVGY

For now I just turn the key and kick the dash and it seems to work OK, it's a lovely solution but I just paid a bunch of money to rebuild the front suspension on my Grand Marquis, I'm too broke after that to go chasing down this problem.

Finally as a pro-tip, you can hold your high beams if you NEED to get home and it's dark, just pull back on the left stalk and keep pressure on it so you're not driving blind.

It is literally just an under-specced relay in the module. There are folks who have desoldered the relay, soldered in leads, and just used a standard Bosch-style socket relay external to the LCM.
The Dorman part is interesting. It's pretty obviously a pass-through that breaks out the headlight relay into their module, accomplishing the same thing with a plug and play solution. Hadn't seen that one before.

My LCM is fine (the later models seem to be a bit more reliable), but I need to intercept the turn signal leads to add an external LED-compatible flasher, since that's built in to the LCM as well. Fortunately, it's as easy as snipping two wires and just running them to the aftermarket flasher instead.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Maksimus54 posted:

I just traded my poor beater miata for a 96 Towncar. The driver side air spring is dead. Should I be looking at trying to revive the air suspension or just get a non-air conversion setup? Is it absolutely moronic to be shopping for limited slip diffs for this thing?

The air suspension components aren't too expensive, IIRC from looking to convert my P71 (so I can bag the front and go low, of course). Given that it's just the one side, I imaging that it's not the compressor or controller, which are the expensive bits. What's left is the bag and the valve, I think.
See if you can tell if air is getting to the bag, and work from there.

Rearend should be the same as the same generation Crown Vic, so find you a cop car with limited slip. I've not researched it thoroughly, but a lot of years should fit, up to 2002. 2003 has the wider suspension requiring more positive offset, so the rearend is wider. May physically fit, but would require the later wheels in the back, or they stick out. May not fit due to other suspension changes.
Crownvic.net has been a useful resource for me.

edit:
This may be helpful on the air suspension.
http://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/RAS.htm

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Springs and shocks moved as well IIRC.

Yep.
From this post:
"Year for year, the Town Car uses the same rear axle as the CV, GM and MM.

The rear axle housing was unchanged for 92-97, then updated w/ watts and parallel control arms and a little more width in 98, and for 03+ the shock mounts were moved over and the axle was made wider.

If the Town Car axle was a different width, how could it use the same axle service kit/axle shafts for the bearing wear TSB as the cv/gm/mm? ;\) ;\)

The Town Car limos used a 31 spline axle, however they were also the same width. (The Marauder does not use a 31 spline limo axle)

In 2005 all panthers went to the 31 spline axle, the 28 spline was dropped from most, if not all Ford 8.8" models."

That said, you may be able to interchange just the LSD unit, since they're all 8.8s. Not sure if any of the innards changed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Marksimus, you may find this useful:
http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2974193

They're talking about a 2011, but a lot of the info is good for across the range. Looks like 8.8 LSDs are cheap and common.

Delivery McGee posted:

Just got another letter on the LCM issue: it's gone from "customer satisfaction program" to no-bullshit NHTSA Recall 15V-861. If it hasn't crapped out yet, they'll be contacting you shortly (when they get more of the modules in stock), if it has, hie thyself to a dealer immediately. If you've already had it done and paid for it, they might reimburse you (though I'm not sure of my chances of getting reimbursed for the third-party one I got off Amazon.)

I got the letter for my 2005 CVPI last week. They're going to hate getting mine out - some of the alarm wiring is kind of tight around there. I hope they don't get weird about the flasher module bypass (LED tails and front signals.) Mine's still working fine - I was just going to do the external relay mod if it failed. Wonder if they will let me keep the "bad" one as a spare...
According to the letter, they will reimburse you if you've already had it fixed, if you saved the receipt. No mention of whether it had to be at a dealer or whatever. Worth a try.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 3, 2016

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they refused to do free work on ex-cop cars with butchered wiring. Or if you replaced it yourself vs. having a shop do it. Guess I'll have to call Ford on my next day off and ask.

If you know a guy at the dealership, they'd probably let you do the swap yourself, it's literally one bolt and two plugs. Sadly my Ford-dealership-owning family friend retired 15 years ago and has probably been dead for ten.

Those of you who haven't hosed with the wiring, let the dealership do it, it's a pain in the rear end to actually get the thing out and especially back in -- I just kinda wedged the replacement up in there instead of sliding it back onto its rail.

Edit: gently caress it, it's Ford, they're 24 hours. Apparently they'll pay me, they just need the bit of paper that has the price on it. Also, the guy asked for the VIN, so apparently they're not automatically disqualifying cop cars.

The wiring on mine isn't butchered - it still has all the factory connectors on the extra cop wiring as far as I can tell. I have spliced in a flasher for the LED signals, but I can put it back to factory in minutes if necessary. I would do it myself if they'd just give me the module, but I doubt that will happen.

Maksimus54 posted:

I went the lame route and converted to coil over. The air spring had been dead for a while and the other side seemed lower than it should have been. I also don't have a garage large enough to accommodate it so I had to take it to a friends shop this time. The entire suspension and steering system is original and showing extreme signs of wear. This will be the first time in 5 years I've paid for shop labor but I just don't have the space or time(Or skill) to do it myself.

I will be doing a full tuneup on it plus brakes. For the cost of parts it seems silly not to refresh as many wear items as possible.

Can't wait to get it back in tip top shape and do some serious roadtrips in it.

e. If it really bothers me down the road and I have the space I can always add air parts again.

The air bags are the cheap part. It's only expensive when the compressor or controller goes.
I'm sort of wanting to add the air ride to my CVPI, then get some of the RideTech front air coilovers. Those bastards are expensive, though.

evilnissan posted:

The call of the V8 barge is becoming to much to resist.

The dealer where my wife just traded her 08 Mazda 3 in for a 13 Ford Taurus SEL has a 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 53K miles "ultimate edition".

Its drat near tempting to go for the couch on wheels, I know I can easily find a hitch to fit a panther car, its listed as air suspension equipped, no BT or aux jack in sight...

Whats the odds of having a factory LSD in a GM?

roof rails available?

Hitch is pretty cheap, too. I went with a Curt from Amazon, on Prime, even. Tucks up nicely. Wiring is a bit more tricky, because of the LCM, you need to use an isolating adapter. I just used relays, since the cop cars have the old-style turn/brake lights rather than the separate turn signals on the standard model. Tapped in to the wiring up near the left trunk hinge just so it all went to one place, other than the battery wire.
Head unit is easy to replace, and a double DIN will reportedly fit in your year. It's an issue in earlier than 2003 or 4, because, while the face is double-DIN, the actual radio necks down quickly to single DIN at the rear of it. I went with a single DIN Pioneer mechless unit in a dash kit. Sonic Electronix has good prices and includes dash and harness adapters.

Delivery McGee handled the LSD part. You could always see if it'll lay a patch on the test drive...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, blinking is bad. Pull codes and see what's dying. Probably coil packs, at a guess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Could rear camber cause the rubber to wear out prematurely?

Rear camber on a solid axle?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Anyone else have paint issues? The paint on my roof, rear deck and c pillars is starting to chip and peel. The car is a 2003 with 122k on it, runs great and I've maintained it but I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking it to a professional to fix the paint or if I should sand the bad areas and rattle can it with touch up paint.

Also what else would any of you drive if you're panther went kaput? I feel like an old man because I hate every new car I see, I honestly don't know what I'd replace my Grand Marquis with when the time came. Nothing drives like it.

My '05 has relatively small paint peel issues on the roof and a few other small spots here and there. Not the wholesale swaths of missing paint I've seen on others, but very noticeable still. Going to get after it with the Duplicolor touch up spray when it's warm again.

edit: This is the biggest spot:

(spot towards the center near the antenna hole is bird poop.)

edit2: right click and open. My hosting is stupid with HTTPS.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 31, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh cool, that's something to consider. I really want a G body El Camino for some stupid reason but people want too much for them and I'm not sure about dally driving a 30 year old GM product. Nothing new has any character and there's too much computer poo poo in the dashboards.

Ah yes, this is exactly what is happening to mine. Same color paint too. Must be a factory defect, I guess I'll go the same route you're going in the spring. As long as it looks OK from 10 feet away and keeps the rust at bay I'm happy.

It is a defect, especially in the white. Other carmakers had similar problems with low-VOC paint and primer, then water-bourne stuff, as I recall, though I'm pretty sure most other manufacturers fixed it back in the '90s.
I've seen P71s with great swaths of paint just missing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

Or, if I could afford the gas, some early-'70s Ford wagon or Ranchero with a 460, or equivalent El Camino (the one that looked like a Chevelle, '70-'72-ish?).

Not to be too pedantic, but all El Caminos after '64 looked like Chevelles (or Malibus, when the Chevelle name disappeared.) '59-'63 just looked like a Chevy full-size of the time.

quote:

Preferably a '65 convertible with black paint and black chrome and black leather and every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it
Nice Hitchhiker's Guide reference, there.

quote:

I've replaced the compressor to have the pulley, but can't afford the charging, and my dad is only licensed for residential systems so doesn't have the hoses for 134a

The MHVAC technician license is like $30, and the test is online and open book. Also, you can buy 134a and the hoses without a license. No one checks at the auto parts store/Harbor Freight.

fake edit: $20: http://www.macsw.org/WEB/MACS/Secti...dd-27fd9b9153f6

quote:

Chevy with the 2-speed OG auto, whatever it was called

Powerglide. Had a '68 El Camino with one, and a 327. I should have kept that car, but young and stupid.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

An El Camino might be light enough to be fun with that combo, but my Impala had that drivetrain combo originally and I'm glad it's a 350/350 now. That extra stroke and extra gear really help it un-rear end.

Oh, if it still had it, there's no way it would still be a PG. Poor thing was spinning pretty good on the highway. It had some body issue, but still should have kept it.
My grandad's brother had a '66 Impala 4-door with a 283/Powerglide. It was mint. I drove it back from a swap meet where we were selling it after my great uncle passed. Did the country roads nicely. Rode great, cornered like a boat. Not too quick, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

What's the service interval on the timing chains and/or tensioners on a 4.6? Mine rattles a little bit at cold startup, and the idle seems to lope a bit. I actually like the idle, because lopey V8, but I don't think they're supposed to do that, and I'm concerned that the cams are wandering around a bit. Random VVT, as it were.

edit: gently caress.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/115

quote:

Symptoms of a broken timing chain guide can range from a rattle noise on startup (not always) to rough idle to a check engine light.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 8, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yeah, no cupholder. I'll look for that now, didn't know what it was supposed to be.

Gonna repaint the pushbar when I do the hood. Black for it, obv.

E: I see a ton of "92-02" cupholders, and then "03-11" ones. Of course the "03-11" ones are like $80.

Yeah, I had that same problem. The 03-11 ones are a little fragile - the pop-out arms love to break.
I found a functional one in the right color (found a yard littered with P71s) for mine. I think I have another. What color is the innards of yours? Should be either black or "flint" grey, I think. Possibly tan.

Also, go to Walmart. For $30, they have this console: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Drive-Minivan-Center-Console-Gray/36259986
It's cheap, but works. If you want sturdier, a lot of the Jeep aftermarket consoles work.
Thread here for what some other folks are doing for consoles, but requires registration: http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1741010

Crownvic.net is decent for technical info.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Interior is stained but not particularly worn down. Real backseats; I was under the impression they would swap the real seats back in when they auctioned the car off. No signs of a removed barricade between front and rear, either.

I'm noticing the car doesn't seem to get as hot in the sun as the Mazda did; maybe just a lower ratio of exterior glass to cabin volume and/or exposed dash area. Either way, my window shades are out for delivery, so step 1 of heat rejection is almost complete.

Also did my first full tank, got about 19 mpg on ethanol-free gas. Incidentally, I can finally use ethanol-free (read: non-93-octane) gas; bye-bye turbo babying.

Standard rear seat on P71s is black vinyl. Matching fabric was optional. Here's another tell: do the rear doors open from the inside, and is there a lock knob? Do the power windows work from the rear door switches?
I had to go get door actuator and lock rods from another Panther, and plug the window switch harness connector back in.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Cloth seats all around, split bench front, rear inner door handles work, only the standard child lock, rear windows work from rear switches.

Guess that settles it, not a cruiser. Weird about the paint though, but at least it matches the new vent shades; phone was dead when I put em on so no pics til later.

Yeah, sounds like a detective car. Probably just happened to be a white one that someone decided would be better not-white.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So my '88 Town Car has AM radio, and tape, but not FM radio (it just seeks forever and plays static). Does anyone know which of the two antennas is the one that works for FM?

The power stick antenna deploys itself when I turn the car on, and retracts when I turn the car off, but doesn't respond to the "ANTENNA" toggle switch on the dashboard (is it supposed to?)

I have no idea what the boomerang antenna on the trunk is supposed to be for.

Haynes manual doesn't have a wiring diagram for my year.

FM usually doesn't take much of an antenna. Check the connection at the back of the radio.
The boomerang antennas were usually TV. No idea how the antenna toggle is supposed to work.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Mine is doing that too, I'm a couple trips away from just yanking the ABS fuse.

There's a way to get the fault code from the ABS, I think. O'Reilly's Auto had a ODB2 reader that could also read the manufacturer-specific stuff, at least on the '96 Grand Marquis I took them to pull codes. In tat case, it was showinf a bad LF sensor, but the sensor checked out (how to check was online - it's just a VR sensor, IIRC, so readable with a multimeter,) and the wiring was OK to the module, so likely a bad module.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Neat! I think I may need that.

I need to go to the wrecking yard and acquire an F150 overhead console module. I have a CV overhead console, but the module is just a compass. They only used it in civvie models that already had a temp display in the dash with the auto air, but since I have a P71, I want it in the overhead console. The F150 console is different, but appears to have the same module case. I just need to wire in the sensor. I tried to use a Town Car module, but they get data from the car's diagnostic bus, which apparently won't work with the CV. Pity; the TC console I have has Homelink as well. Apparently I can just dig a standalone Homelink out of any Ford, or any vehicle that has it really, since all they need is power and mounting. I can get one of the sun visor mounted ones. I'm going to need change my sun visors if I put in the overhead console anyway.

But first, I really should do the timing chain guides, I think. The idle is hinting quite a bit now, but not enough to trigger a check engine light.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, Ford has some hella-grippy panel clips.

A lot of GM fuse blocks had, maybe still have, extra recessed male terminals that were extremely handy for adding stuff.
My CV is a cop car, so it's got an entire sub-harness under the glovebox with additional fused battery and accessory feeds, and power feeds to the trunk, too, from the big fusebox under the hood. Came in handy for the modest amp I'm using.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Scotch-loks are a crime against electronics everywhere. You will regret using them. Get a Weller 125 watt soldering gun (not iron) for doing car stuff in situ. And keep the tip and mounting nuts thereof clean and tight. (Former mobile electronics installer, here)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Luxrage posted:

So, in some unfortunate news, my friend who owned this sweet black '85 LTD Crown Vic had to sell it

Honestly, I think it was for the better. It grenaded the engine right after he bought it, and he's never had any luck with the rebuilt engines he had installed. The first time his shop installed a 5.8L they botched it up completely, and he was going to change shops. However, the warranty would only cover it if he stayed with the same shop, so they installed ANOTHER 5.8L and that one also had issues. It also had a lot of trim pieces falling off, a broken aftermarket radio with the radio wiring butchered, falling down headliner, really wooden-feeling brakes, and only the two dash speakers for sound. I think it was a good learning experience for him, much like my red wagon was before I bought the squire.

However, he wants to buy another one, and find a properly good one this time, so I'm going to help him find the one of his dreams, and a fully loaded one this time! His two wants really were just having the aluminum turbine wheels and being black, so that shouldn't be too hard. The turbines were only on the higher end models anyhow. I'm going to be meeting up with him and I'm bringing all the dealer brochures I've collected from having the two wagons and go over what he's looking for specifically. When I'm done with him, he'll be able to tell which trim packages are which just based on blurry craigslist photos. :spergin:

One thing he did mention is he wants a pre-facelift panther LTD... so I might try to find him an elusive two door....

I am sad that you did not post it here in SA to sell for him. To me, specifically.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wolrah posted:

I'd put more effort in to checking your existing grounds. If you have a bad ground somewhere, adding another one might even make the problem worse unless you accidentally end up putting the new one basically where the bad one is.

Crown Vics are possibly the most documented vehicle on the face of the earth from a radio and RFI standpoint, I'd pull up one of the radio/police equipment upfitter guides that are all over the internet and check out their troubleshooting steps.

Since the problem is specific to radio reception I'd suspect the problem is in the antenna assembly or the receiver itself. I forget which antenna '98s have but if it's the fender one it could be loose in its mounts. The cable could also be damaged. If you have access to another vehicle you can easily get the dash apart in maybe try swapping the receiver around and see if the problem follows it.

I'd agree that I would suspect an antenna issue, or at the very least, the noise coming in on the antenna lead. Sounds like the shielding on the lead is not grounded.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Luxrage posted:

I ordered some color samples for a new leather steering wheel cover for the Country Squire today, the OEM leather one on it came with was cracking pretty badly.

I will also order one for the '87 Wagon, since I'm getting ready to sell that one. That should help when people drive it, as well as myself, because the rubber on the wheel is horrible and makes my hands sticky constantly.

Wheelskins? I'm very happy with the grey one I bought for my P-71. The smooth skin on the vinyl of my wheel was flaking, exposing the foam. It fit very well. I'd really like to restitch it, because I didn't get it tight enough at a couple of the seams (4 sections on mine, since I got the perforated leather). You've got to *pull* that poo poo. Bought one for my wife's car, too, just need to set aside an hour or so when it's not beastly hot to do hers.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Luxrage posted:

I think the wheel is smaller on the pre-92s, but hopefully it'll be easy enough. I'm not too sure I'll be able to stitch it properly, it looks complicated!

Oh, it is, definitely in the thickness of the grip, if not the diameter. The late Crown Vics have one of the beefiest steering wheels ever, and I love it.
Wheelskins' site has a selector to find the right size, and it was dead on. I just was too afraid to pull as hard as needed on the laces, initially. Turns out, they're pretty strong.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

My ball joints are wonky and I'm thinking about doing upper/lower control arms and shock/struts. Never done it on a Panther. Do the springs need to be compressed to de-install/replace, or will it fit in ok with the control arms opened up?

What year? 2003+ actually have coilovers.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

2003. If I replace the whole coilover, can I avoid messing around with spring compressors?

Yep, but then you have to pay for the new springs, too. At least, I assume that you can buy a complete assembly, like a "quick-strut" for McPherson strut cars.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Awesome. Any recommended brands for control arms or coilovers? Any sporty setups?

P71 stuff is stiffer/heavier duty than civilian standard. Not sure on the LX Sport stuff.

Eaton Detroit makes 1" and 1-1/2" lowering springs for CV/P71
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/ccrp-1012-eaton-detroit-ford-crown-victoria-lowering-springs/
http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/ordering/parts-lookup/

Front: MC5412-15 $199.95/pr
Rear: MC3895-15 $199.95/pr

Coil Spring Specialties can custom make springs, roughly the same price:
http://www.coilsprings.com
http://www.coilsprings.com/request_quote.aspx

Coil Spring Specialties does them to order, so you can get the drop you want, and the spring rate you want.

Ride Tech makes Shockwaves for the Panther, Front, Part #: 12262409: $800
http://www.ridetech.com/store/2003-up-ford-crown-victoria-front-shockwaves-pair.html
Pair those with the OEM rear airbags and inflation system of your choice. Then you can do this:

or this

And still be able to drive the thing.

Google images can show you what the 1" or 1-1/2" dropped ones look like (nice.)
The P71s, interestingly, are typically just a bit taller than civilian, supposedly to make traversing curbs and such easier.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Just ran across this:

Love those widened OEM 17" steelies.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Luxrage posted:

So this weekend I did a couple different odd-jobs with the cars.

I got some spare keys made, I found some Mustang OEM blanks, so I had them cut at the Home Depot, they didn't even charge me!

But here's what the neat stuff I did: for starters, some good stuff:

I put on a leather steering wheel cover for the red wagon, I ended up going with the actual red instead of the burgundy, it is REALLY red! But it feels so good! Lacing that stuff suuuucked!

Yes, lacing those up is hard on the fingers. So worth it, though.

quote:

I did more research and found out the squire's leather wheel was actually made in the factory, and the wheel itself is built around having that leather wrap on it, so I'm a bit worried taking it off is going to be more than just replacing the leather wrap on the wheel, since the wheel seems to be built for the factory installed one. I might try leather treating it and seeing how that goes first!

You could always install a slightly larger cover over the existing one. You can order the Wheelskins covers based on size, rather then application.

quote:

The other thing that I'm having issues with is the car is considtently pulling to the left. I've had the tires rotated, had the alignment done, had the car's front end looked at, and it's all come up fine. The only thing I'm noting is that the car is extremely bitey on the brakes when it's cold, and when I had the car jacked up after sitting for a day, you could barely turn the front right wheel. I wonder if the brakes are grabbing or if the front right wheel bearing is starting to go...

Take a look at the caliper, or it's sliders. That definitely sounds like a stuck brake issue.

quote:

The one upside to all of this is today I got approved to get a really cheap mortgage on a home loan, so as of today I'm looking for a house with a garage!

As much as home ownership can suck (I'm about to drop $5400 on plumbing, FML) the fact that it's *mine*, and there's a garage is mighty compensating.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Yeah, check both brakes and make sure the pads/shoes/calipers are actually backing off after braking. Also make sure brake hoses are not pinched or kinked. How old are the brakes?

E: yikes, beaten by almost an hour

It's cool. I didn't think about the brake lines.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

If the leather wrap is OEM then you bet your rear end it will be well-glued on in addition to the lacing, probably with something epoxylike. You will end up cutting and shaving it. Going overtop will be so so much easier.

This is what I will be doing on my wife's Kia, for example. The OEM leather is flaking on hers, so still a good surface for over-wrap. Plus it will make the wheel a bit beefier, which it needs. I'm too used to the ridiculously fat wheel in my '05 P71 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bigtom posted:

...ONE OF US...ONE OF US!

I make frequent road trips from NC to NJ/NY/PA, so these cars are perfect for me, even if the mileage is in the toilet around town and they aren't as easy to park as a smaller car.

Right now in my driveway there's my girlfriends 98 Grand Marquis GS, my 98 Crown Vic LX, and the 93 Town Car - a pack of Panthers if you will. Now to try and diagnose the lack of parking lamps (but the brake lights work)....

Depending on the year, it may be the Lighting Control Module. The Panthers are famous for the LCM failing in some odd way. There's even a current recall, because it can also affect the headlights. Basically, the usual problem is that the relays in side the module are poo poo, and soldered in.