Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gau posted:

Ignore everyone else. Use any pan that's oven safe and isn't non-stick. Stick it in the oven at 500 degrees for about fifteen to twenty minutes. Take it out and put it on the burner on high. Salt the top of the steak and flip it onto the pan for two minutes. Salt the top and flip it over. After a minute, put if back in the overn for another two minutes. Take it out, put it on a plate, rest it for five minutes, and eat it.
This, but for rare you probably only want to cook it 30 seconds on each side before putting it into the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Actually the most recent Next news was Mearls on twitter mentioning healers an using all 3e healers, and stating that warlord would not heal and likely would be a fighter "theme."

I believe that he also said that they're removing your ability to spend Hit Dice to heal, which gets rid of the last vestige of martial healing.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

^^^ drat you and your modly quickness!

Barudak posted:

DnD Next is a lot like making an Old Kentucky Shark whiskey, You mix Old Grandad, Landshark Beer, and Gummy candies to create an unpalatable mess that nobody likes even if they like the individual ingredients.

I actually prefer Evan Williams Single Barrel. It's just that right mix of pretty good and inexpensive.

Winson_Paine posted:

You know, I have tried a lot of these sorts of things and the result always tastes more like a meatloaf sandwich than a hamburger. I am a fan of a well packed patty with salt and pepper on the outside.

Hamburgers are more of a condiment delivery system anyway. I like to take half an onion, cut it lengthwise into fat rings, toss the whole thing into tin foil along with some olive oil, rosemary, and garlic, wrap it up tight, and let it slow roast directly on the charcoal while you cook your burgers until it semi-caramelizes.

In the spirit of the actual thread, the new Legends and lore is out. Mike Mearls believes that things should be named after things that already existed.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 2, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

moths posted:

While they're buying the concept and free PDFs, it's still up to WotC to monetize it.

I think he meant that they were "buying" as in believing that the game has significant 4e elements just because WotC makes textual nods to it, not that they were buying as in enthusiastic purchasing.

I can't count how many times I've seen someone lambaste Next for having too much 4e stuff in it, without being able to actually point to any of it.

thespaceinvader posted:

I do keep seeing it as the latter I have to say. The amount of times 5e devs have, in all apparent seriousness, posted blogs, particularly in the early months, raving about their wonderful new innovation X, where X is a 4e mechanic that's been in 4e since day 1... It just feels like fi they played at all, they played with so many house- or ignored rules that it just wasn't the same game. And then they try to claim they understand it.
Most of those innovations were later quietly removed, though. Monte Cook may have thought that "what I like to call Passive Perception" was an amazing innovation, but Mike Mearls must have disagreed because it ain't there anymore.

Now that Hit Dice are gone, I'm trying to think what specific "4e-isms" remain. At will attack spells, I guess. And minor-action-spells that we refuse to call minor actions. What else?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Old Kentucky Shark, you're a Kentucky man. While I know that real life is not like Justified, they keep name-dropping Pappy Van Winkle bourbon on the show and I'm wondering if you've ever had it before. Is it worth looking into acquiring a bottle?
Pappy Van Winkle is pretty good, these days. The Old Van Winkle distillery went bottom up in the 70's and then one of the sons resurrected the name in the 80's to peddle Old Rip van Winkle as a crappy bottom-middle shelf bourbon, but in the 2000's they were bought out by Buffalo Trace. These days Pappy van Winkle Family Reserve is the name Buffalo Trace gives to their line of top shelf bourbons, and it's pretty solid. They produce it in purposefully limited batches so that demand exceeds supply and people talk about it.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 2, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

jigokuman posted:

This makes me wonder if there's a Harry Potter pen and paper RPG, or at least a game that emulates it, because if there isn't, that makes me think the hobby is very much pointed in the model railroad direction.

Once, during a discussion on getting new people into gaming, I pointed out that the fact that neither WotC nor White Wolf tried to produce a Young Wizards-pastiche game during the height of the Harry Potter Mania was the equivalent of leaving a large sum of money on the table and just walking away. Someone replied that "Glantri: Kingdom of Magic" contained everything a new gamer needed for Harry Potter-ish gaming. Someone else then pointed out that "Glantri: Kingdom of Magic" had been out of print for seventeen years.

That's what I think about when I think about D&DNext.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

There is always a better use for meat than meatloaf. Yes, meatloaf may be acceptable, but there's a high opportunity cost: that meat is not being used for a better dish. Such as anything.
It's just ground beef.

palecur posted:

I'm prepared to believe this assertion, but I'm going to need some kind of explanation about how a six-ounce slice of no-breadcrumb meatloaf is too beefy, but a six-ounce no-breadcrumb piece of steak is not too beefy.
Depending on how it's cooked, ground beef may need a moist "glue" to hold it together, otherwise it gets crumbly. I like ketchup, and a little bit of cheese.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 6, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

There are a lot of things you can put white gravy on. A meatloaf is not one of those things.
I come from the land that makes chocolate gravy, and even I agree with this.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Winson_Paine posted:

You mean chocolate sauce or hot fudge?

Except with flour and bacon grease and poured over buttermilk biscuits.

Rexides posted:

Not to be the grognard, but doing miraculous things is the Cleric's shtick. Of course, getting your HP back should NOT be a miraculous event in a game where HP are the main metric of success or failure.

Yes, but the point is that the cleric is no more magicking the guts back into your body when they restore HP than the Warlord was, because if you describe HP losses in terms of dismemberment, you've got bigger verisimilitude problems on your hand than anything a Warlord can bring.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Okasvi posted:

What about removing in-combat healing completely? Make healing something that happens between fights, and during a fight it becomes a question of last man standing wins and gets to patch the rest of their team back up using whatever healing mechanics you want to implement. And make in-combat support all about damage prevention.

OK, here is the thing about healing:

Way back when they were transitioning to 4e, in one of the many podcasts that came out around that time, one of the designers offhandedly mentioned the following anecdote; during one of the bouts of sporadic marketing research they'd done in 3e, they'd asked some people to describe what, to them, had been the most memorable combats their characters had ever been in during the history of their roleplaying career. In the course of listening to these anecdotes, they noticed that many of the most memorable combats tended to follow the same narrative arc:

1. Our party got jumped by powerful monsters.
2. We got hit really hard, and some of our guys fell down. Everything got really tense.
3. We figured out a trick/spell/tactic that let us turn the table on the monsters.
4. We reversed the momentum and won the day.

So in designing the 4e combat engine, they built a lot of under-the-hood knobs in place to facilitate the chances of experiencing this narrative arc of combat. They gave both monsters and players sufficient hit points so that combat no longer turned into a game of rocket tag. They set the damage parameters on attacks so that everyone could take 2 to 4 solid hits before falling down. They made the negative hit point pool deep enough, and made healing easy enough, so that PCs, once dropped, could get back on their feet quickly. They designed monsters as puzzle boxes, with situational abilities and vulnerabilities so that the PCs could greatly increase their combat effectiveness by altering their tactics on the fly.

This also, incidentally, is the source of one of the more legitimate criticisms of 4e; all of this ended up slowing combat down, because in order to have that narrative arc you need fights to last at least 2-4 rounds, and you need the PCs to be able to make the type of significant choices that can grind turns to a halt.

You don't absolutely need combat healing to get that kind of narrative arc, but it really helps. Otherwise, it's not unlikely that step 2, instead of ratcheting up the tension, will just make winning a mathematically impossible death spiral. Ideally, you want a panic button (anyone who has tanked in an MMORPG knows what I mean), and combat healing is one of the most tried and true methods.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Also, this is the best recipe for Chicken and Waffle Sandwiches:

1 Rotisserie Chicken
Several waffles
Sliced Havarti cheese
2-4 tart green apples
Butter

Optional:
Mayonnaise
Maple syrup

Toast and butter the waffles to use as bread. Carve the rotisserie chicken and apples into thin slices. Pile chicken and apples on one waffle, covering with cheese slice to melt. Spread mayonnaise and/or syrup on other waffle if desired, then use it to sandwich the chicken. Serve with green beans, drumsticks and wings.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

palecur posted:

I will always love you for coining the phrase Aggressively Hegemonizing Ursine Swarm, but that recipe is an emetic in text form.

Given the amount of grease involved, it's actually more of a laxative, but Chicken and Waffles is seriously loving delicious.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

OtspIII posted:

Yeah, as long as this means the effectiveness of these dice is going to get scaled up a bit I'm actually okay with this part.

I don't know, actually. Even back in the Bad Old Days I never had a problem with Fighters directly--their big problem for me was the existence of all these other classes that were way more broken-powerful than they were.

The thing they described is basically ho Warblades from Tome of Battle worked, except that instead of regaining uses of trip attacks or piddly bonuses to AC, Warblades were regaining cool, flavorful maneuver slots. It means you've set the granularity of "things Expertise Dice can do" to be roughly equal to "get an extra action", otherwise spending an action to regain them is meaningless.

So it's not a bad idea, but unless it's step one of completely overhauling the Fighter class, it's a bad idea.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Last I checked - which was awhile ago! - D&D Nex had not one single module. This and everything else is all not only Core, it's still a part of their "Basic" set.

What we have now is actually not "Basic"; it's "Standard". The Basic game is just Standard with most of the options pre-selected for you, to the point where chargen is just rolling dice and selecting race and class; you can tell that you're playing the Standard game by the way you get to pick feats and backgrounds. "Advanced" isn't really a game in itself, it's just what they're calling the modules which, yes, don't exist yet. So they're not really designing three games; they're designing one game, plus Unearthed Arcana, plus a Starter Set.

Which is why the adventuring tiers on top of that is fairly dumb; you don't need to put in two training wheels levels in the Standard set if you already have a Basic set.

e; and, of course, a "0th level" play option would actually have been a great opportunity for debuting their first module, which is why it's obviously being folded into the core game.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 2, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I have a giant bag of garden-fresh green onions.

What should I make with them?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Caphi posted:

The first thing I noticed was that the dragon's legendaries are measured in uses per day. "The dragon can autosucceed four saves per day." Is running the dragon out of saves and then meeting it again later in the day (or chasing it down before midnight) an actual aspect of gameplay?

In that Legendary Resistance is basically "Wizard Hit Points", yes.

That's just, like, the tip of the iceberg in the hosed-up-edness of Legendary Resistance, if you sit and follow the concept to its meta-logical conclusions.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I wonder how many Wizard Hit Points Fighters will get?
:allears:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

When one of the paid consultants first sends then publishes an e-mail like this then the group just isn't big enough for the both of them. And they decided not to drop the Pundit so far as I know.

So very much about 5e suddenly makes so much sense.

Barudak posted:

Wait why does it have two xp totals? Is it not two separate creatures? If it's more dangerous in lair would the fighter become more dangerous if he carried around a thatch roof with him everywhere he goes?
If the thatched roof let him heal 1/6th of his hit points every round, probably.

That's honestly one of the better things about the dragon. Costing the whole encounter rather than just the dragon portion is good game design.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

thefakenews posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure Essentials changed the rules so that you get one opportunity action per turn.

Npbpdy changed the rules. You get one Immediate action per round. You get one opportunity action per combatant's turn.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

There is nothing subtle about the church though as he basically wrote with both extremes. The only reason why i think that the evil tends to be emphasized is that you really have to be a hosed up organization to allow the mass genocide as described to occur where as the good faction tends to exhibit common human decency.

The genocide thing was interesting, because D&D lycanthropy is actually the kind of fundamentally horrible thing that actual, decent people might try to purge from the face of the earth. 3e Lycanthropy is a moral disease; it doesn't just change you into a werewolf, but it also fundamentally alters your alignment and personality. It literally makes good men evil.

quote:

A character with awareness of his condition retains his identity and does not lose control of his actions if he changes. However, each time he changes to his animal form, he must make a Will save (DC 15 + number of times he has been in animal form) or permanently assume the alignment of his animal form in all shapes.

It's not like vampirism, where you die and your soul is in limbo while an undead version of you occupies your body. Contracting D&D lycanthropy requires you to make a will save vs. permanent catastrophic personality alteration. That's pretty amazingly horrible, in a world where death is easier to reverse than alignment shift.

Also, because there are thirteen moons, there's a full moon in Eberron pretty much every other night. It's werewolf central.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Nihnoz posted:

I hate this because, why would you ever be anything else.

Because you could be Wūlfgar, a half-werewolf werewolf shaman/druid with a wolf companion who summons wolves and has a ghost wolf that shoots tiny wolves out of its mouth.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

theironjef posted:

Help me out here and break that one down. Longtooth shifter shaman/druid, wolf spirit companion, wolf summon spells. Okay. But that leaves out a wolf companion, the tiny wolf shooting, and a whole extra werewolf line.

Hybrid Durid (Sentinel) gets you a wolf animal companion, hybrid Shaman gets you a spirit wolf companion on top of that, the Pack Outcast theme lets you turn into a wolf as a minor action, take Summon Natural Ally to summon a wolf, be a shifter (obvious), and Spirit Lance (Shaman Encounter 17) lets your spirit animal make a ranged attack.

Then get a Direwolf as a mount, because gently caress, might as well hammer that one note as hard as you can, and be a werewolf-wolf riding a wolf flanked by wolves who summons wolves.

And then the 3e Druid wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 3, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Ratpick posted:

To me it just looks like they're missing the forest for the tree: the thing to take away from monsters with horrible stun-locking abilities shouldn't be "yeah, we need to work on the math to make these abilities a non-issue at higher levels," it should be "monsters with horrible stun-locking abilities are a bad idea because."

It's both, to be honest. Even if you stripped away every stun-lock ability in the game, under the current save system you'd still have a Legendary Dragon with 4 bad saves. The save system needs a total rewrite, regardless. This is one of those things that was immediately obvious several months ago, which the designers are just now noticing.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I will say that this:

quote:

@mikemearls We're concerned with big picture trends in gaming and entertainment.
Is probably the most intelligent things Mike mearls could say in the situation. The Tabletop part of D&D is and always will be the least potentially profitable segment of Dungeons and Dragons(tm), and it absolutely makes sense to focus on bigger picture trends in entertainment.

It's just that the tabletop bit is, as far as I know, the only bit Mearls is actually in charge of.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Payndz posted:

How very... un-D&D.

Based on the test runs that I did, this means that gangs of low-level trash monsters like rats and kobolds are going to be just as deadly to even high-level PCs as a dragon, because the system inherently leads to lots of "I attack"/"You miss" rolls for players. Since all monsters get at least a free +3 to-hit bonus and lots of them also get things like Pack Tactics to boost their chances, you end up with long and boring battles where the drat things have to be picked off one by one as they gradually whittle down the PCs' hit points. The only way to avoid it is to nova trash gangs on sight, leading to casters having to be Sleep Spells Guy rather than anything interesting.
low level trash mobs are actually ridiculously more dangerous than a dragon given the current XP tables, because you get ~400 of them for the price of a dragon. This is, admittedly, a totally fixable problem with flatter XP tables, but that would require WotC noticing it to fix it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

The problem with iterative attacks wasn't that you got multiple swings; it's that each additional swing was less accurate than the one before. Three swings for 1[W] damage is less swingy, more versatile, and just as potentially effective as one swing for 3[W] damage.
One of the problem with iterative attacks was that you got multiple swings; it slowed the game down quite a bit.

Multiple attacks is like the rake in the grass of TTRPGs. I don't know why everyone always steps on it, but they always do.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 30, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

When I had the PCs fight Mechathulhu, a monster the size of a building in 4e, I did it by taking an Elite, giving it the HP pool of a Solo, but then also having a number of additional monsters in the fight (Right Arm, Left Arm, Tentacles, etc) with unique stats and their own action pools, with triggers that, on their death, subtracted an amount of hit points from the Solo body equal to their total hit point pool.

So you've got something like this:

plus two arms (lvl 6 soldiers) and 4 tentacles (lvl 5 strikers), each of which, upon defeat, subtracted 90 and 80 hp from Mechathulhu's HP pool. It adds up to a single encounters worth of monsters, but it feels like you're fighting one big monster.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Comstar posted:

I'd lost of this thread for a couple of months, but it sounds like the last play test rules don't sound that bad?

It's okay. It's kind of like AD&D+, at this point; it's playable, and it certainly looks like D&D, but it has no clear sense of direction and it's still full of bad math, weird unpolished bits and things that make you go "Wait, what the hell?".

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

Chili does not require beans. That being said, I prefer chili with beans.

Get angry, nerds.
I've never understood the bean/no bean argument with chili. They're both valid, tasty options, and I think we'd all be happier if we could get the bean people and Texans together to agree that they have a lot in common and that Cincinnati-style chili is noxious crap shat directly out of the Devil's anus.

Also, does anyone know of any good hard ciders? I'm on a hard cider kick right now.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I like rum drinks but I've yet to find a good straight sippin' rum I enjoy. A friend once brought a bottle of coconut rum back from a trip to Jamaica and daaaamn that was good, the smoothest thing I'd ever had. I can't remember the label sadly.

Mount Gay rum is very good straight, or with soda.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Error 404 posted:

My wife is from Kentucky, and she got me drinking Bourbon, no idea what a good one is, I pretty much drink what she gets.

Buffalo Trace is fine (I almost got a job there, several years back), Knob Creek is better. I really like Bulleit Bourbon, especially Bulleit Rye, which is maybe the best rye whiskey in the world. Four Roses Single Barrel is fantastic. Evan Williams Single Barrel is not the best bourbon, but it is a $25 dollar bourbon that tastes like a $50 bourbon, which makes it my go to whiskey.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Maybe the problem is in the way the game presents the skills, then?

If you regularly climb up walls with a Climb skill check, it's reasonable to expect to bluff your way past a guard with a Bluff skill check, or open the magic puzzle lock with a Lockpicking and/or Arcana skill check.

It's more of a problem with the way the game presents challenges, to be honest, or with the way that skills and challenges interact. Some challenges are naturally short and binary, while some challenges are open ended with opportunities for several different outcomes and changes of tactics, and some are on a spectrum between the two, or are even capable of flipping from one to the other. Within the skill system, you have some skills that are pretty much always going to be used to overcome short/binary challenges (jumping, lockpicking, etc), and some skills that are almost always going to be used for bigger, open challenges, and some that bridge the gap, but nowhere is this really openly examined or acknowledged (except for Skill Challenges, but, well, you know how that went...).

Stealth is a good example. Would you say "I stealth my way past the guard?" and then drop dice? Sure. Would you say "I stealth my way into the heart of the king's castle so I can assassinate him" and then just drop dice? Probably not.

Social challenges, by their nature, almost always have the opportunity to blow open into bigger, wider challenges like the sneaking into the castle example, which is why people don't feel comfortable blitzing past them with a single roll. It's the underlying subtext behind the claim that "social skills are different because everyone knows how to talk"; that understanding that talking is an open-ended multi-stage process, whereas, in most people's eyes, climbing or lockpicking aren't*.

*They probably are also complex, multi-stage processes, but gently caress if I know enough about either to handle it at the table.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 29, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

akasnowmaaan posted:

I owe you a beer for this. Just finished it, haven't laughed this hard in a long time.
There are better movies out there, and it's really painfully amateurish from a movie-making standpoint, but "Quick! Hide behind the pile of dead bards!" never stops being loving hilarious.

Kai Tave posted:

The "damage on a miss" conniption people have is doubly stupid because back when I first got into roleplaying and started poking around online on various discussion boards one of the very first D&Disms I was ever exposed to was the concept that a "miss" in D&D didn't necessarily mean that you failed to connect, just that your blow didn't strike a vulnerable spot or something. That's why wearing better armor improved your AC, it's not that plate armor turned you into a sword-dodging maniac, it simply meant that your armor was better at turning sword strikes into glancing blows. This was back in 2nd Edition/AD&D time too, so it's not like "When you miss you don't necessarily miss" is some newfangled interpretation of the text.
I do wonder what percentage of people who hate fighters doing damage on a miss coincides with the people who constantly create overly elaborate house rule systems to turn AC into damage reduction.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Edit: on that note, how the gently caress does MM3 give monsters ~8 HP per level? Or to put it another way, where are the PCs' +8 damage per level allegedly coming from?
That's only an increase of about a +2 damage per round per level, assuming 1 monster per PC in an encounter that lasts 4 rounds, which is average-ish. Some combination of new feats, inherent bonuses, stat increases, paragon paths, and better powers will keep you close to that up into Epic levels, where, admittedly, the math breaks down a bit.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

It's amazing how much the DOAM bullshit has made me really appreciate the argument that armour and shields really, really ought to provide DR rather than AC. It makes a lot more sense than having both your ability to avoid blows and your ability to take them on the chin be modelled by the same stat.

Honestly, the more I play games the more I appreciate AC as a rather clever method for introducing percentile damage reduction* into the game without causing anyone at the table to divide or multiply fractions. Percentile damage reduction scales so much more cleanly than integer damage reduction, and is a better match for ablative hit point pools, but it can't be done at the table without using a calculator. Real percentile damage reduction, like most video games use, would be better, but AC is a clever workaround that humans can do in their head.

*As in, each point of AC reduces the number of hits you take by X%, which, on a long enough timeline, is the same as reducing damage taken by X%.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Winson_Paine posted:

Is this actually like, anywhere? Dudes love to say it did bad or well or whatever, but has anything that is not just nerd speculation out there?

The closest they came to ever releasing numbers was that the 4e PHB's 1st print run was 50% larger than the 3.5e PHB 1st print run and sold out almost immediately. Also, the PHB2 made the Wall Street Journal's non fiction best seller list a year later, so it was, at least, initially popular by the modest standards of tabletop gaming. After that, I can't say.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Roasted Carnitas

This is what I made today for supper. It's pretty simple.

Mojo Criollo:

1 1/2 cups orange juice
2/3 cups lime juice
A goodly amount of garlic; a dozen peeled and crushed cloves or equivalent in garlic powder
2 tsps cumin
2 tbsps oregano
Salt to taste
1/2 to 1 cup water

Carnitas:

Preheat oven to 350.

Take pork shoulder and cut it into shapeless lumps of meat, about two inches on a side. Line the bottom of a baking dish with the meat lumps, spaced so that they do not touch one another. Pour mojo criollo into the dish so that it evenly fills the bottom of the dish with a thin layer of liquid. Keep some Mojo Criollo in reserve. Seal tightly with tin foil.

Bake covered at 350 for 1 hour.

Increase heat to 450 and uncover the baking dish. Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes, or until the mojo criollo bakes away and the pork fat renders.

Turn the pork chunks over, dosing them with some of the remaining mojo criollo to keep them coated, and bake uncovered another ten to twenty minutes as needed. When the tips of the pork lumps turn crispy, you are done. Pull prok lumps apart into smaller lumps and serve.

Tip: For a side dish, take 1/3rd cup of mojo criollo and add it to a can of black beans; simmer the hell out of them while the pork cooks, then serve them over yellow rice.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

Is this entire argument really people splitting hairs between supernatural and magical?

Yeah, but by "Magic" they mean "Casts just like a D&D wizard" and by "Supernatural" they mean "Jesus loving Christ does everything in D&D have to look like a D&D Wizard?"

It's a valid argument with fuzzy terminology.

It's kind of like how people complained about 4e's unified power progression made classes feel too "samey" -- and there are some valid complaints there which is why they started to break up their approach to classes as they game moved on* -- but when they broke the unified power progression for 5e, the result has been to shift everything into the starkly defined power progressions of "Wizard" and "Non-wizard".

5e's Vancian wizards aren't even really that powerful compared to older editions, but just by existing they pull the Overton Window towards themselves.

*Admittedly, this also coincided with them slowly forgetting how to do good game design, but that was an unfortunate coincidence.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

LSTB posted:

It's too bad Champions is the gold standard of superhero RPGs forever now because I really like what City of Heroes did with "dumbing down" Champions for the MMORPG audience, where you don't have to tweak base characteristics, just focus on picking powers that are cool and effective.

Hello! You appear to be posting from the year of our Lord 1999! It is very important that you carry a message to the president: something bad is going to happen to the World Trade Center...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I've seen acoustic lap steel guitars that look pretty much exactly like that, but grogs wouldn't be grogs if they weren't jealously guarding the narrowness of their own viewpoints, I guess.

• Locked thread