Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Crovie posted:

A solid team of developers who need to raise money to purchase Unity.

Not saying it's cheap (it's $1500) but if you're going to develop a game shouldn't you at least already have the tools you need?

$1500 is honestly dirt cheap. If a 'solid team of developers' can't all pitch for that amount I mean really. Just run away.

Edit: As an example I work with Oracle enterprise software for my job. Their horrid scanning program ( and it really is horrible ) costs $5000 for a single processor license. And that thing is world's less complicated than something like Unity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Wait wait wait... we're getting a new Planescape Torment, a new Baldurs Gate I/II/Infinity engine, a new Elite, a new Wing Commander and... and now a new Ultima? It's like all of my gaming prayers have been answered, I'm flabbergasted. :psyboom:

For all the dreck on it I sure love what Kickstarter is doing to the games industry.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Been done. Done better.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
I can hardly wait to file the flash out of my butt's crack and lovingly shade and hilight every soft curve. Will have to think of how to base it, right now thinking a cloud made of charmin and then clearcoat the hell out it.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Toffile posted:

They're making a loving killing as a publisher. They still poo poo out a DQ or FF game every few years, but they published Just Cause 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, new Tomb Raider, Hitman, Thief, Nier...

They are doing fairly well and have pretty much grown past being a company that makes RPGs.

end: oops, thought I edited this in.

The main problem with Square is their financials. They've released games that have done really well (Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, etc) but Squeenix was hoping they would be like Call of Duty level blockbusters to get them out of the hole they're in.

Anyway for some Awful Kickstarter content:

TRUST NOBODY "THE MOVIE"
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1131928950/trust-nobody-the-movie

quote:

BRICKS IS A YOUNG HUSTLER THAT HAS BEEN RELEASE FROM JAIL AFTER 4 YEARS AND IS TRYING TO GET BACK ON TOP WHERE HE LEFT.

This basically really makes me want to kickstart a Charles Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden movie.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

DStecks posted:

Look at the risks and challenges. He hasn't even written the script yet.

If you watch the video I guess it's a novel he needs a screenplay for? Because writing movie adaptations of novels is just copy and pasting all the dialog right guys? Right?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

quote:

Orange Juice: So you can go on to make a fat stack, Jack. And I'm talking about a stack so fat, you'll have to walk with a limp for the rest of your life from all the dough in yo' pockets.
:stare:

quote:

Cordé Christopher: Pimpin' and ho'in is the best thing going.
:catstare:

I have to see this movie.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Are you sufficiently protected from rape? If you're worried about your level of rape protection then these fine folks have you covered:

ARWEAR - Confidence and Protection that can be Worn
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ar-wear-confidence-protection-that-can-be-worn

ARWEAR posted:

A clothing line offering wearable protection for when things go wrong.

There is a shocking lack of a jorts option. I am writing a sternly worded email as we speak.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
I must be missing something but why is that ritot watch thing so beyond the realm of possibility? it's projecting numbers and basic graphics on your hand. there are cell phones that can project movies and poo poo on the wall or whatever.

like if the argument is 'they can't possibly make this in a way that won't completely suck' i would likely agree but I'm not seeing anything about it that particularly space age.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Nintendo Kid posted:

You can show this for yourself if you have an alarm clock or other item that projects a display and is small - trying to get a workable image for something nearly parallel with the projection direction gets really hard.

That makes sense, thanks man. I was thinking it would work like one of these goofy things:

But even the projection distance on those is pretty low it is still a lot more than the 1.5 inches to your wrist or whatever it is that watch is trying to do.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Japanese Phone Box posted:

I wasn't sure if I should have posted this but there you go. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaibio/open-qpcr-dna-diagnostics-for-everyone?DISRUPTING-IS-THE-NEW-BUZZWORD-DIDNT-YOU-GET-THE-MEMO

Excerpts which prompted me to post this here:

"Open qPCR is disrupting DNA diagnostics."
"However with machines costing $20,000 and up, Real-Time PCR (also known as qPCR) is simply unaffordable where it is needed most. We aim to change that with Open qPCR, a system available at a fraction of their typical cost."
-a 50.000 USD kickstarter.

It really raises a couple of flags but I'll let people more knowledgeable with that kind of stuff to chime in.

Just getting their custom enclosure machined in any kind of serious quantity would be significantly more than 50k.

Their fancy rear end 800x480 capacitive touch display alone is prohibitively expensive for that money. Figure its around $10 per display at an order quantity of 1000 (which would be a pretty killer deal), that's 20% of their target for only 1000 units. And that's just the screen.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

bvoid posted:

hey could someone please post an Awful Kickstarter thank you

Here's one about hot dogs, maybe we could all pitch in and fund it?????

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2083848142/prairie-dogs-funder-round-ii

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Fatkraken posted:

GW is MEGAFUCKED, there's a bit thread in trad games talking about it, they're pretty much running a death pool and waiting for the day the company collapses and (presumably) the IP is snapped up by some big toy company and the entire range retooled

A day of days that will be.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

quote:

The mother of Gish, who knows all things, Spoke to Gish: "Some one, O Gish

Hmm, long, perilous, ultimately futile, and unfulfilling quests plus the hemingwrite: a match made in hipster heaven

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
I'm going in at the super custom level so I can have my hemingwrite cast into a single piece of bronze and then have them put all sorts of knobs, jacob's ladders, and sprockets all over it so I can have a Grommet & Son's Patented Penumatic Grammatikal Engine to lord over the Oly coffee house scene. What hemingwrite are you guys going to get???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Do regular laptops have analog switch things and a giant red button? Check and mate Mr. Skeptical. :colbert: