Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

SS Coffee Capsules seems like something the baddies would use.

QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS PROJECT

We will ask the questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Buca di Bepis posted:

I bought some disposable electric toothbrushes at Costco and it felt pretty decadent

I bet I could replace the battery if I wanted to

Decadent? You only have ten teeth?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frobbe posted:

Indiegogo appears to have realised they're full of poo poo.

Realised that who is full of poo poo?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tears In A Vial posted:

i drink those instant coffee pouches you just mix with hot water

fight me

I like my coffee the way I like my women. I don't pour boiling water over it and I flick the bean because there's no need to grind it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

celewign posted:

Lasers are no more dangerous than any power tool. I grew up helping my dad with his table saw and that thing is a terrifying murdertool. My dad kept me safe.

Whoever posted about the particulates made a great point though, I hadnt considered that. Looking at the big commercial lasers they always have a ventilation system to outside.

Laser cutters are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit it's not our problem.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

This is the most pretentious poo poo and makes me mad.

Just saying, but a word used to describe a specific object is called a noun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm not one of the now 1500 people ponying up £30 for it, but what is self amalgamating tape?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is this is almost literally what the original Mr Potato Head was; plastic facial features with pins to stick into vegetables, and they only later started making bodies to go with them.

Yes, but I'm not sure the world really needs Giant Mecha Potato Head. Although seeing it written down does put doubts in my mind.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Frozen-Solid posted:

Apparently there was a huge kickstarter related fraud in one of the companies that board game kickstarters were using as a distributor absconded with tons of product and money.

https://www.boardgameprices.com/articles/boarders-tabletop-game-studio-defrauds-thousands-in-kickstarter-scandal

Reading the article it doesn't appear to be a distributor, but rather a group pledging agent. Stores often get deep discounts on Kickstarter game projects for bulk orders, and shipping to places like Singapore can be a bear. A lot of the time people can set up group buys to save on both fronts.

What Boarders appeared to be doing is automating the service so you don't need to find a trustworthy backer for the group. The game that would cost you $80 + $50 shipping will cost them $60 per unit and maybe $30 shipping per unit, so they can sell to you for $100 plus local shipping and make an easy profit while still saving you money.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

You're not wrong, but also Zenimax doesn't really do outsourcing anymore, certainly not like they used to even just a few years ago. Instead, they've been focusing pretty much exclusive on their stable of internal studios [Bethesda, id Software, Arkane Studios, Tango Gameworks, and MachineGames].

The Elder Scrolls: Legends was outsourced to Direwolf, so they do do some.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Isn't that what lots of scammers do, particularly from China do. They ship literally anything in a box, just random poo poo. Something to do with paypal refunds not being easy if you actually received a shipment or something.

Yeah, so long as you can prove you shipped PayPal do not care what was in the shipment. Someone once ordered a laptop and received a blank sheet of paper in a manila envelope, sent recorded delivery. PayPal refused the refund because the seller could prove he shipped.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I don't care if this is not an awful Kickstarter, I just want to tell people about it.

The Ruth Bader Ginsburg Action Figure.

Presumably it comes with several hundred points of articulation, mostly against the latest dipshit repressive Republican policy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bugsy posted:

If only this had come sooner, this creepo wouldn't have burned himself.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-news-shoe-camera-explodes-20180629-story.html

Unavailable in the UK, but is that the guy whose shoe mounted upskirting camera exploded?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The MSJ posted:

LOL if you think those middle school stabbers know what Something Awful is.

You mean there are people here who don't act like they're 14?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

More boardgame Kickstarter fuckery. This time a company that copied their miniatures, plagiarized their rules and as a kicker are based out of Pakistan, which is outside of approved Kickstarter countries.

Foxtales didn't just plagiarise their rules, they also plagiarised their company mission statement and lifted the shipping fee chart from another Kickstarter based in a different country to the one they'd claimed to be in. Thankfully Kickstarter shut them down with about four hours to go, so nobody lost money, but given the company the rules had been stolen from filed a DMCA takedown notice at least a week before they're looking a bit poo poo right now.

The best part is that they provided the rulebook at the request of backers, who obviously want to see rules. After posting the rip-off of the Massive Darkness rules and being caught, their response was "the final game will be completely different". Basically, it was a case of "you asked to see rules, we showed you rules, what more do you want?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i have to wonder how many of these one-button appliances are designed with the brutally hungover in mind.

Seems appropriate, most of them you'd only order while under the influence of some substance or another.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fructomancy, if we're going to get real instead of making decent plays on words. It's like magic beans, but fruit instead of vegetables.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SupSuper posted:

Awful Kickstarters Vol II: Something you can just do with your own hands.

That is already the thread title.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

Also once you get your retro game console, you'll probably realize the games were very primitive and you were a easily amused child and you just spent (wasted) $100+ on what is essentially a less functional RetroPi or Android tablet with a fancy enclosure to do what? Kill your sense of nostalgia by playing Manic Miner for 30 minutes before sticking it on the shelf to collect dust?

I don't want to go full "young people today" here, but I would still sit down for hours with Paradroid or Wizball. In the case of Wizball it would only be one game and until I got tired because I'm too good at it to ever run out of lives, but the point remains.

Regarding the Vega+, your best source of information is probably The Register, who have covered it in depth. An especial highlight is the story linking RCL chairman David Levy to Steve Bannon and sexbots - at the same time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jabor posted:

The idea is that if there's a sniper watching, the flare from the first cigarette will catch his attention, and once he has his rifle pointed that way the later ones will give him a shot. The sniper already knows what general direction your trench is, so him seeing the first flare and then nothing else doesn't actually give anything.

It's an obsolete notion in a world of night vision hardware though.

As I have heard it, the snipers in World War 1 not only knew the direction of your trench but the ranges of various points on it. So the first light told him there was someone to shoot at, the second gave him time to check the wind, and the third guy didn't get to smoke his ciggy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's true, not even the legendarily multi-layered systems in Breath of the Wild let you eat fairies to gain power. Looks like Nordic Raven finally does what Nintendon't!

In Ancient Domains of Mystery eating pixies can grant the ability to teleport, so I'm afraid they have been beaten to the punch by a good 20+ years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sweevo posted:

EDC stuff isn't for using, it's for fiddled with conspicuously in the hope that a hot girl notices and finds you interesting.

What is EDC?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sweevo posted:

And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each beef curtain
Thrilled me — gave me such fantastic boners, never felt before;

Quoth the maven: "Never whore".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

laserghost posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/retroteabreaks/the-colouring-book-of-retro-computers

No child will ever colour this book, not even a single page. Why the gently caress such idiocies are still being funded in 2021

Because adult colouring books are a popular form of relaxation therapy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

We can't possibly have gone three months with nobody making a terrible Kickstarter, so here's a doozy:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/support-tsr-against-wizards-of-the-coast#/discussion

In a nutshell: someone let the TSR trademark lapse through inattention, a bunch of idiots bought it and began publishing pirate copies of old D&D manuals, and are now crowdfunding a legal action against Wizards of the Coast for reasons too complex and stupid to list here.