Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So a friend of mine just linked me this Craigslist ad, and I guess this thread helped me develop a second sense about these things because I immediately went, "This is probably a terrible Kickstarter." And it is!.

Besides the fact that everything looks like below average Deviantart art with a whole lot of "What's wrong with your faaaaace", it "only" made $2000. I am not sure what kind of game you could get for $2000, so I looked back at the ad to see what they would be paying their voice actors.

quote:

We are looking for some voice actors to record the battlecries, catchphrases, and some plot-critical and romantic dialogue of the main characters of the game. In return, we will be offering credits and provide meals, snacks and refreshments during the recording sessions and paying each voice actor royalties. That is, we'll be giving out a percentage of the profits after the material costs of producing the game, calculated and paid quarterly.

Those royalties will surely be substantial, especially for a game that has been in development for about 2 years, seeing as how the Kickstarter ended in 2011.

Oh, yeah, the game seems to be focused on having romantic relationships with teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

JossiRossi posted:

He's playing fast and loose with the source material isn't he? Also the visual aesthetic looks garbage on the one he did but has yet to release. Just look at the shot of guy and girl about to kiss (you remember that part in the Tell Tale Heart right?) I bet he turns Fall of the House of Usher into a zombie flic.

Didn't you know that the beating of the heart in the Tell Tale Heart was a sign that he should really be with his beloved instead of at his 9-5 white collar job? The call of true love is a haunting thing.

Halfway through that I realized that he's Twilightifying Poe. This can go places.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So I'm not sure how licensing works, but I would have thought that it would cost more than $5000 to acquire the license to The Princess Bride.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

deathsuxdontdie posted:

How is "intellectual property issues" not against the rules?

Because they totally talked* to the people behind those properties!

*permission not guaranteed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

OldMemes posted:

Where do you put the stick when you aren't making yourself look silly in public? Does it fold up?

Uh, why would you go out unless you were documenting each part of your journey? It's almost 2014, man, get with the times.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

ayn rand hand job posted:

Held in San Diego at the same time as the SDCC.

This is going to be a smashing success.

It's raised 60k on flexible funding already.

Why.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Carecat posted:

The funny thing is my friend was saying how they were missing the opportunity to open Magic up to players online years before Hearthstone. They had so much time to get their rear end in gear but could only make the semi decent but limited Duels and the too hardcore, ugly and expensive Online.

But are the Duels games that much more limited than Heartstone? The card pool in Hearthstone isn't that large, last I saw, and, y'know, collecting. But the sad part is that Wizards they just made the yearly iterations of DotP cumulative (ie, if you bought 2013 you can use the cards in 2014), they would do much better.

The point is that anyone thinking they can do a real life blind booster game that isn't based off a cartoon or is named Magic the Gathering is acting on several delusions.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

Lovecraft = scary monsters.

"Lovecraft" I think is nerd shorthand for "not slasher horror," with the occasional bulbous mass of flesh and maybe some sort of sanity system. Any themes present in his work are not at all important.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

MrAptronym posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253722565/disney-days
Hi, I go to disneyland literally every two weeks. Pay me $500 so I can take pictures with my iphone.

I'd like to point out that the Palos Verdes Peninsula, where the creator is from, is one of the most affluent places in Southern California. I'm not saying everyone there is Mr. Moneybags, because my family certainly was not, but chances are they can afford $500 for an iPhone or whatever. I mean, a yearly pass to Disney parks already costs $500+. But have some census stats of the four cities comprising the Palos Verdes Peninsula.

quote:

According to the 2010 United States Census, Palos Verdes Estates had a median household income of $152,068, with 2.8% of the population living below the federal poverty line
According to the 2010 United States Census, Rancho Palos Verdes had a median household income of $119,778, with 4.0% of the population living below the federal poverty line
According to the 2010 United States Census, Rolling Hills Estates had a median household income of $153,986, with 2.4% of the population living below the federal poverty line.
According to the 2010 United States Census, Rolling Hills had a median household income of $213,906, with 1.0% of the population living below the federal poverty line

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I have an irrational hatred of stupid unnecessary tech bullshit, so I haven't really done my due diligence about the likelihood of this being a scam, but here is Sense, which is...an alarm clock? Correction, a "smart" alarm clock. It's like the Pebble or Nest but somehow less necessary.

Also,

quote:

Particulate Sensor can spot the tiniest of things floating around in the air, so tiny you can't even see most of them. But they are there, and they are potential sleep interruptors for many; more than 50 million people suffer from nasal allergies. If the pollen count is high in your neighborhood and Sense detects a rising level of microscopic particles in your bedroom, you should know.

A thermostat and a photosensor, sure, but how accurate could this possibly be in a $100 egg shaped thing?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

fondue posted:

I have two things about this project that I find difficult to comprehend;
1. You don't get a radio until you get to the $45 tier, correct?
2. They're nearly double the goal level already.

Mason jars are to hipsters as zombies are to gamers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Every time someone says anonabox I read it as Anachronox and keep hoping that a sequel is being Kickstarted :smith:

I wonder how much of a fuckup your project has to be to be suspended/cancelled by Kickstarter, though. It's not like they assume any responsibility, do they?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean OBVIOUSLY there's reasons why we're not using gundams in warfare right now.

Is it because we haven't discovered gundamium yet?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

Where are my smaller blocks representing the gold, frankincense, and myrrh?

Gotta leave something for stretch goals.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Rosalind posted:

Ahahahaha it's an alphasmart! We used to use those in the 90s in elementary school to write papers.

Brilliant. Selling a piece of outdated 90s tech for the price of a modern low-end laptop.

Somehow worse than outdated 90s tech since I can actually see more on the alphasmart.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

So were goons all pissed off like this when Penny Arcade or Order of the Stick did their kickstarters?

Penny Arcade was a definite yes, but I don't even remember if they had a product for that one, so maybe The Oatmeal has one up on them. I think one of the higher tiers was for an unpaid internship at Penny Arcade.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Genetic Toaster posted:

As a bonus, the creator is currently having a meltdown on twitter.

He's even appealing to the sharks on Shark Tank. Please, Shark Tank, have this man on your show.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Those metal cubes/spheres/whatever just remind me of pet rocks. Is that back now? Can I make a Kickstarter for it?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

That might not be why people buy phones, but people absolutely support kickstarters based on "fake made up techno bullshit." It's basically the only growth sector the US still has.

Now that the FTC is getting involved, would they go after these sorts of "obviously lovely science" Kickstarters? Does the FDA regulate any of the food-based (or medicine based) Kickstarters?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Edward_Tohr posted:

... Oh, and got the thing funded by a proper publisher before the kickstarter even ended. Stay classy, Inafune. :thumbsup:

"Proper publisher" is a bit of a stretch:
http://www.fuzegame.tv/e/index.php
http://www.fuzegame.tv/e/product.php

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Hearing that twerp say "Here we go" would be annoying except the game will probably be bad and so I probably won't play it. Also dashing into everything after shooting at it seems like it will get super annoying and is generally unnecessary. I'm honestly not sure what it adds?

It also does the cardinal sin of reminding people of something better, that being Megaman X's opening stage, which was awesome.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

KiddieGrinder posted:

Is such trite poo poo

quote:

Former BioWare devs

Checks out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Gilganixon posted:

They were funded over a million on lamps of all things

In defense of lamps (how many times will I get to say this in my life?), the Lumio is pretty sweet. And is out there in the wild! It was even on Shark Tank!

The Lampster looks like a piece of poo poo though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Imagine reading drat Interesting only every few seconds a really obnoxious comedian tells a joke and then laughs at his own joke right in your ear and you have the full Dollop experience.

"Joke" should be in quotes. The history is interesting (drat interesting, you might say), but the sort of overreactions to things reminds me of YouTube superstars screaming at like Amnesia or something. Like distractingly fake and bad.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

Kids these days should just be grateful to have libraries. Back in my day the whole school had one book, and it was written on parchment and stored in the dungeon.

Yeah, but that book had like spells or some other badass poo poo written on it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

It's too bad Doublefine burnt through a whole lot of goodwill from Psychonauts with Broken Age and DF9 that it's hard to even start to care. How could producing a blu-ray take this much goddamn time? Don Hertzfeldt shipped out his blus in like, months after his Kickstarter ended.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

An eBook reader dedicated to only one series:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/196861017/fist-of-the-north-star-innovative-ebook

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Fastball LIVE in concert posted:

Just make them into one. Viagrogaine, the topical rub for bald, impotent men.

It'll make a killing at NRA conventions.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

This reminds me, what happened to that laser razor? They look like they're still posting to their indiegogo, but I can't tell if they're just stringing people along before quietly fading away or what.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Dunno-Lars posted:

I think the point of them is that you use from them. So that fancy toilet paper flower in the bathroom? You take those flowers and wipe your rear end with them. And then I assume the host will run out and restock the flower right away? Or just have a flower that is missing pieces?

Uh you're adding fertilizer man, they're obviously going to grow into more toilet paper flowers. This is like, basic toilet paper botany dude.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

klafbang posted:

It's a functional solution to a real problem: hipsters with too much money.

But taxation had solved this problem?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

SFers wouldn't be caught dead patronizing the superior Los Angeles. They'd go to Tahoe or reconnect with their fellow whites in Portland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah there's a real lack of Vore in mainstream games.

Kirby games exist though?