Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
If you have a Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket (AT&T) -- DO NOT UPGRADE TO JELLYBEAN.

Non-rooted stock phone. Super unstable, software crashing on a regular basis for no observable reason (both during use and at random). I haven't owned a phone I don't crash once in a while, but it's happening every other day now.

That said, when it's working it's sex as all hell, the OS app guis/widgets are massively improved.

EDIT:
Just checked and looks like my upgrade date is 6/7, thankfully. S4 here I come.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

nimper posted:

This is rather alarmist, don't you think?

It just crashed again. As in remove battery to restart crashed.

I wouldn't honestly recommend against upgrading unless it was bad enough for me to go through the effort to find this thread and post it, which is admittedly significant.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

Also willing to bet that you did not perform a factory reset after GB->JB

Doing it tonight, didn't know this was a standard thing to do.

Apologies for admittedly alarmist post, but it happened yet again since last post too. Frustration abounds.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Let me know what you think of the S4. I'm pretty much 100% sold on it already but haven't had a chance to handle.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

gently caress I'm a week from upgrade.

I wonder if I can talk my way into a new Galaxy 4 with trade.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

TheLordOfKraa posted:

So I've been on AT&T forever on an unlimited Iphone plan -- but now I'm sick IOS as was looking at swapping over to an android phone when my upgrade rolls around; anybody know if there's a way to keep my unlimited plan when I move from Iphone -> Android?

As far as I know, its not an issue just tell them you want to make sure you keep it. They didn't balk with me about it at all.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

At a price which represents an expected subsidized phone. You're dumb not to buy the newest phone and sell it if you want a lesser phone.

Take that off and I'd buy phone - cheap contract in a heartbeat.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Legality aside, why couldn't you spoof the IMEI to your old phone?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Gendo posted:

Thanks guys. I'll keep following the support process with them for now then and ask if we keep not getting anywhere. I'm not trying to game the system to get something I don't deserve, I just wanted to understand what their policy was so I could decide how to proceed.

I hope they can get it resolved. I'd really like to upgrade to a Lumia 1020, but it doesn't matter how nice the phone is if I get no signal.

Gendo I'm surprised you have coverage issues, AT&T is solid signal everywhere I've been in Mpls-StP area.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Gendo posted:

I'm actually in Scottsdale, AZ. Coverage here is great in some areas and non-existent in others.

Isn't a bit early for the Winter migration?

(Always assumed for your unabashed shameful love of MN teams you would have to live here)

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

myron cope posted:

Wow, drat. I thought it was at least a little cheaper. Was it a recent change or has it always been $30? There's basically no incentive for me to either switch from unlimited or even try to use less data then. Except throttling? Do they still send a message when they start throttling or do they just do it without mentioning it anymore? Basically I'm wondering what the threshold is before they start slowing down my data speeds

I usually only get a message when I hit the ~5gig mark (twice in the last year). I say ~ because AT&T has hosed up data usage monitoring which isn't accurate.

I never noticed a slow down my highest usage was probably 5.5gigs.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

What's the general consensus on the Lumia 1020?

I'm due for an upgrade and will likely have the scrill for it in the next month. Looking at that or the S4 (initially wanted the active, not sure how I feel about non-touch buttons now that I've adjusted to touch buttons).

Phone is primary internet source, email for work, and camera. All phones will do the first two well, might as well upgrade the third?

EDIT:
Forgot to add, been very happy with usability of Android. Hate iOS.

Does Windows OS allow same usability for USB storage? I want to be able to plug into USB and directly put music into a folder and have it work on phone, or pull photos out of a directory.

And I don't use much for apps.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 18, 2013

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

ryan_woody posted:

So, if I'm reading this right, the price for my service is going to be the same, regardless of whether I subsidize a phone or not? That's... unfortunate.

'Merica gently caress yeah.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Looks like my family plan is breaking up as parents have enough devices it makes sense for them to go to shared data (iPads).

I have unlimited and if I broke off to a new plan it should be possible for me to keep correct?

I'm out of contract right now as well.

Edit
How would plans work for me as they're all tiered based on data?

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 29, 2014

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Beefstorm posted:

Sometimes. Transfer of billing responsibility is tricky for unlimited data. I never guarantee it to a customer.

If I can't keep it there is no way I'm staying on AT&T. It's either keep me with unlimited data or I leave.

Hopefully that satisfies the need.

Thanks for info.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

So family plan was moved to 10gig shared last week which came down to something ridiculously cheap (hate that I'm not unlimited but makes sense for totality of costs across other devices my parents have). My Galaxy SII Skyrocket has lost it's wifi capabilities, something needed to change on my end.

First, I just pulled the trigger on my 6 month overdue upgrade on Amazon Wireless to the Note 3. This should not affect the plan correct? As far as I can tell it should not as the major account change has already occurred (negates concern of Amazon 181 days stipulation) and I'm simply renewing the 2-year contract on the line (agreed I was due for an upgrade). Right?

Second, what is the best thing to do with my current SII Skyrocket? The wifi doesn't work but it's otherwise totally functional without scratches on screen though plastic housings show its use.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 3, 2014

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Buying the note 3 on a two year contract makes your specific line on the mobile share plan $40 a month, not $15. The $15 a month pricing is no contract pricing.

The skyrocket really isn't worth anything, I would hold as a backup, sell for whatever you can get or donate.

So let's say that we have other people on the plan who are still under contract. Would they be $15 a month or $40 a month?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Anybody who signed a contract before they launched the plans Feb 2nd gets the $15 pricing because ATT did not yet offer the new plans. Any contracts afterwards are $40 a month.

So for most phones it's better to do next, where the line stays at $15 a month and then the phone is $20-25 a month.

Damnit, looks like I'll be sending back the phone to Amazon and picking up in store with Next.

EDIT: Cancelled Amazon order. This is actually pretty awesome, new phone every year for same cost is great (presuming I'll still need to $36 activate on Next every time?).

Thanks for your help!

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 3, 2014

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

And in a complete change of plans after talking to some people, I'm going to buy the Moto X straight up and stay off contract.

What do I need to do with AT&T? Anything? Can I just drop in my current SIM since it's an unlocked phone?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Moto X from last Thursdays sale ja arriving tomorrow.

I just need to go buy a nano SIM from AT&T right? Any hidden costs?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Moto X rules.

That aside, does uploading data count towards your shared data?

I'm going to be streaming a soccer match in a couple weeks...

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Mirconium posted:

I had a quick question

I am on AT&T and my Galaxy SIII just up and died, refuses to turn on. It is past its warranty and no insurance, so I obviously need a new phone. But I don't have a contract renewal coming up until September, so just buying one outright will probably be quite expensive, assuming I still want to retain even basic smartphone functionality.

My question is twofold: first, can I buy a cheapo AT&T GoPhone and swap in my simcard? I've already tried it with a tracphone in desperation and they apparently lock out non-tracphone sim cards, but will I run into the same problem with actual AT&T phones?

If not, then do I have any other options to compel them to give me a phone at some kind of reasonable price? Or am I just stuck with going to buy a Nexus 5 at full price?

Seriously look at the Moto X or if you want to wait for next gen, X+1 this summer. Amazing phone for very reasonable cost.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Nostratic posted:

I have followed all of your sage advice and ordered up a Moto-X. Should be here Monday!

You'll be very happy. Battery life is unreal.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Depending on phone Next is actually the better deal most* of the time.

*Specifically with high end phones.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

While on one hand I'm disgusted, I'm also super loving impressive Apple can release a phone which had literally no new functionality compared to other phones on the market and sell out / struggle to keep up with demand.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Comparing phones on specs is naive.

I have a Moto X so I guess I agree?

Its also naive to think that Apple made the 6 plus for no other reason but they were losing customer to the Samsung note. I know of 3 people who that was their first non-iPhone.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Some years ago, in a fit of unbridled stupidity, I let my family rope me into their shared phone plan.

It's been nothing but misery and headache since with untold hours of scratching and clawing to actually get bills right and overcharges fixed.

I'd switch in a heartbeat to literally anyone else but, apparently, I hate AT&T marginally less than I hate arguing with my family. I am as shocked and appalled as you are.

Right now, I've got a years old S3 that cannot keep up with my lovely mobile games, never, ever held a charge worth a drat, and is harassing me constantly to put some Samsung crapware on it. Still, it's less offensive than other phones I've had.

I need to find a new big, meaty phone for my big, meaty goonhands. Preferably one that gets reception 5 miles deep into the earth, since that's approximately the location of both my apartment and my job, as far as cell reception is concerned. I'm using a microcel at home, but if Comcast gets flaky, I fall back on whatever "E" service is since 4g can't penetrate my 18" thick stone walls. At work, I'm in the center of a secure government facility in the woods, so a single bar fades in and out, depending on which direction I am facing.

I kind of assumed that I wanted an S5, because despite wishing that Samsung as a whole would be flung into the Sun, I have had better luck with this S3 than I ever had with LG or Motorola. But honestly, I don't follow new phone developments at all and am largely basing that on the fact that I looked at my friend's new S5 and it had a 4 row keyboard instead of 3 rows and that seemed super convenient.

I don't mind paying up-front for the phone if necessary or doing a 2 year whatever, but I loathe the concept of treating a phone like a leased car.

So, how does this whole thing work? Is the S5 a good pick, or is there something better I should be looking at? What are the key words and phrases to lob at my AT&T rep so I don't have to spend hours getting them to actually bill it properly for once? When's a good time to buy? Where should I look for Black Friday/Holiday sales?

I'd recommend looking at buying the new moto x or a nexus outright if you don't want pre installed BS. It's amazing how much better it is with our bloatware.

I have a moto x and s5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

Anyone interested in unloading a spare 2013 Moto X to me? let me know what you want price wise.

Cracked my screen as my phone fell 12" out of my pocket while pulling down my pants to to use the bathroom. First screen cracked ever. What BS.

Is nearly unusable cracked.