Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So I finished reading Stone Ocean a few weeks back and I'm curious about the ending and how it leads into Steel Ball Run.

Okay, so Pucci's Made in Heaven can fast forward reality into infinity until he finds a statistical copy of the current world and any existing creatures from the previous world will pop into the current one. However, for some reason, Pucci didn't want Emporio to defeat him until at least after the Cape Canaveral incident because I guess since it is a statistical copy, the world will no matter what end at Cape Canaveral and if Pucci isn't there for it then the world will just fast forward into infinity again and if/when it stops he couldn't guarantee it'd be another statistical copy of the current world? Am I understanding that right? And then Emporio ends up in another version of Earth with Annakis and Irene and they all go on a trip with this world's Hermes saying they need to stop off at Cape Canaveral, which I guess means that the world will end there maybe but since Pucci isn't around for it then either time will continue as normal or time will speed up until the next iteration of the universe even if it isn't an exact copy, leading to the world of Steel Ball Run?

Do I have that right or am I completely off the mark here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Finally finished reading through Steel Ball Run. Been reading through from Phantom Blood since about 2 months ago now on and off and it's been a hell of a ride. It'll be a shame when I get caught up on Part 8 and am stuck waiting with the rest of you :v: Anyway, that was a pretty good part. I've liked all of the parts so far for varying reasons and I'm glad I read through them. Sometimes stuff got confusing and didn't make any sense but it was still fun to blast through.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like all of the JoJos for different reasons. Jonathan because he's just a dude trying to be a gentleman, Joseph because he's a jerkass trickster, Jotaro because he just seems so damned apathetic and "too cool for school" in a dorky way but can actually back himself up with raw strength, Josuke because he's super dorky about poo poo and chill and just wants money, Giorno because of that one time he decided the best way to fight a guy whose power was to turn water into ice was to drive into a river, Jolyne because she's a damned strong lady who doesn't take poo poo from people and it's nice to see how Jotaro's "I am a badass, I don't give a poo poo" attitude could actually be a bad thing, Johnny because he had a nice character development arc, and Gappy because of how loving quirky he is.

Aurora posted:

Josuke is a really boring character, too

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
King Crimson is the ability to give the entire world a 10 second long seizure wherein he gets to walk around feeling good about himself as everyone else is confused as gently caress about what's going on. Then he puts a shirt on and answers the frog.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The haruhi opening edit is pretty good too if only for how much effort whoever made it went through.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MelvinBison posted:

Well that escalated quickly. Almost raped twice in one chapter? What the hell, Araki?

This is what, the third time in part 8? Whatever the hell happened in the tree and then the stuff in this chapter. Jeeze. :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Uznare posted:

The manga explicitly mentions that they're named after tarot cards, every single stand in part 3 with the exception of Cream and Tenore Sax is named after tarot cards. This is mentioned at least 3 times.

And the Egyptian Gods too.

What was the point of that anyway? Abdul was confused as hell when they came across the first Egyptian God stand iirc and I never really understood why the stands could ~only~ be named after tarot cards up until that point. I mean, why couldn't they be named after something else? It's surprising enough as it is that the rest of the stand users that Abdul didn't name himself decided to stick with the tarot card theme for so long y'know?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RatHat posted:

And people knowing that their ability is called a stand, or knowing the rules of them.

To be fair, a lot of the time characters didn't know they were called stands unless they'd explicitly been told by someone who did know.

And then Mountain Tim saunters in and is all "yeah they're called stands because I loving said so" because he's loving Mountain Tim.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't know why but I get the feeling Gappy might be made up of Johnny due to the mention of dying again and stuff. I dunno, I think it'd be neat if that were true since I imagine the question of who Gappy is made up of is PROBABLY an important plot point :v:

Aside from that, I still have no clue what the heck Tsurugi was going on about. So, every first born male in the higashikata family gets an illness at age 10 that slowly starts to turn them into stone or something, or every first born child period does since I guess Holly is suffering from it somehow, and I have no clue what was going on with Yasuho feeling "safe" or whatever. Was she drugged? And what about the weird hands in the tree trunk?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My question is whether the world at the end of Stone Ocean was one with any longevity or not. I remember Pucci saying something about how due to how his stand worked, he essentially brought another world into existence that will follow the same exact events as the previous one including ending/resetting at Cape Canaveral and that if Emporio killed him, he couldn't stop the world from ending yet again and that if he wasn't around, he couldn't guarantee the next world would be a perfect statistical copy of the previous. So I was under the impression that the ending was more or less Emporio accepting that the world was going to come to an end regardless once he, Irene, Annakiss, and the rest reached Cape Canaveral with one of the universes to exist later on being the Steel Ball Run universe.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Has there been any word on if David is going for a faithful adaptation of part 3 or if they're going to have to compress things down? I'm hoping they can be as faithful as possible and cut as little as possibly like with their adaptation of part 1 and 2 but part 1 and 2 were also really short compared to later parts so I dunno. A lot of the fight scenes would probably go quicker in animation form than comic form as well.

Honestly I just hope they're willing to spring for two openings with one being for the first half of part 3 with the tarot card stands and the second for when they get to Egypt and are dealing with the god stands. Doubt it'd happen but it'd be cool if they could.

Sorta related but how is Rohan goes to the Louvre? Is it any good? I've read every other Rohan spin-off thing (I think) and enjoyed them a fair amount but I've not checked out the Louvre story.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ADullMin posted:

They could skip the [any fight], but I would hate that.

This is pretty much how I feel. There were so many great fights in part 3 and I can't imagine any one particular fight that would be seen as skippable without losing something entertaining from it by doing so. Was there honestly a single stand battle in part 3 that was just completely awful and terrible and not entertaining in any way, shape, or form?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

onepixeljumpman posted:

Part 5 suffers from a lot of planning problems, and Giorno's character suffers from that the most. I went back and reread up through the fight with Ghiacchio before getting distracted by something, and I have this thought that Giorno may have started out as Araki wanting to write a Dio pastiche as the lead protagonist. Giorno shares a lot of qualities with his dad like a heavy desire to rise to the top, a past with abusive parents, being a streetwise scamp that got by on his wits until he gets his big break, an inexplicably powerful charisma that makes others want to follow him (Bruno, Fugo, and Mista say something about this after they've fought alongside him) and the ability to unlock potential and confidence in others like all the little things he does during the fight with Ghiacchio that enable Mista to do the cool poo poo.

The problem is that the idea isn't followed through, but to Araki's credit, I don't know that you could do it well. A main character who's primary function is to make everyone else be cooler probably isn't going to be that interesting himself. And the charisma thing doesn't work because the characters affected by it just say that he is. That worked with Dio because he was enigmatic and other characters talking about how great he was fueled our desire to know what exactly was so great, but Giorno is always around. Only saying how charismatic he is doesn't work when you can see he really isn't.

And because he's the enabler of cool poo poo rather than the one doing it, he's not really that involved in his own story. Part 5 is ostensibly about Giorno becoming the boss of Passione, but it's more about Bruno's quest to put Giorno on the throne to stop Diavolo's corruption and save Trisha because he relates to her tragedy. Hell, Bruno even usurps the charisma thing because, as we learn through the other boys' backstory, they all joined the mob because he was such a cool dude saving them from their various poo poo lives. It really all falls apart after the first fight with Diavolo because everyone gets on the boat because of how much they believe in Bruno. Giorno is guiding Bruno, but Bruno is why anyone cares. Giorno and the character traits he had early on keep fading further into the background as the story goes.

Luckily, Bruno is a worthwhile protagonist and the fights are still largely good save some missteps with people getting powers that just happened to solve the problem. The fight on the train is one of my favorite fights in the whole series, I've always liked Narancia's way of dealing with Formaggio when he couldn't find him anymore, Giorno even gets a cool moment fighting Soft Machine for all the bemoaning I just did, and others. There's a lot of cool ideas in Part 5. They're just not well thought out enough.

Not to mention that Trish gets to fight all of once, albeit against what is arguably one of the strongest enemies in the series.

My main beef with Giorno was that I felt like some of his powers just seemed to disappear and get replaced with other powers that weren't there before. The "turning things into living creatures" became "able to turn parts into spare body parts for people" and the whole "hitting something giorno made alive will reflect the damage back to you" thing never came up again I don't think after the fight with Koichi. I'm not sure what happened with his punches giving so much life that other people slowed down mentally and experienced the hit super slowly either, though thinking about it the ability of golden experience requiem to put you in a constant state of never ending pain and suffering seems like an extension of that.

Edit: Also Giorno had the really really smart idea of driving into water while fighting a dude whose stand let him freeze water. Real smooth man. Real smooth. Abbacchio was mostly around for moving the plot forward I figured since there's pretty much always a character in jojo who exists for that purpose. It's a shame he never got to do much outside of that since it's a punchman manga so of course the dude whose stand is explicitly not combat oriented and is extremely weak to combat is going to be stuck in the sidelines while everybody else gets to do cool stuff :(

Edit: vvv It's definitely a logical extension of the ability to create life from things, I just was never sure why he suddenly lost the ability to reflect damage when making spare tongues and hands :v: Even when he made a snake to attack Melone I think it was the snake itself that killed Melone and not any reflected damage, unless I'm misremembering. Either way, I'm just trying to say that it always bugged me how some of Giorno's abilities seemed to just disappear.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 13, 2014

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

I like how by part six healing the heroes has become totally inexplicable. Just Cram Some Plankton In The Wound

Or Part 7 where they're just like "yeah Naples had some magic string they had flown in to the US." which seemed to let them use any kind of string later on to heal up wounds. Hot Pants handled the rest. Do we actually have a team medic character for JoJolion yet?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Actually that gave me a pretty cool idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWeae36ka9s

If they use any Dio song it should be Rainbow in the Dark :colbert:

I forget when I found this video but I thought it was pretty well made. I've never heard of the anime it's a redraw of but whoever redid the animation did a swell enough job I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iK3dGzX3ZM

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

They already tried the vampire army with the Part 1 Beat 'em up that Namco did back in 06 and that game loving blew. On top of having a ridiculously slow combat system, the enemies are poorly designed, the entire ripple mechanic is broken as hell, the game is super dark, they actually try to faithfully adapt the Part 1 art style so it looks like complete rear end, and about the only thing I can say in the game's favor is that when you do poses it gives you stat bonuses. This would continue a trend for Namco's JoJo games being very subpar as the next dev they got made All-Star Battle and the rest is history.

I really want another company to get the JoJo license or at least have Namco give it to a dev that doesn't suck.

I am legitimately disappointed that this was just a joke because I can imagine it being the best jojo game or at least the most fabulous.

Honestly I'm surprised Phantom Blood never got adapted into an NES castlevania style game. When I think of a Phantom Blood video game adaptation I think of castlevania, not uhh this :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Knock yourself out, people.

(I make no claims to the quality of the game, this was a loving around exercise.)

Has anyone here ever run Fate before? I've never played it but I've always wanted to try playing a jojo-themed pen and paper game. The only one I ever saw on these forums was a freeform roleplay thing that died and didn't really seem to have much to do with jojo outside of names and also it sucked on account of the people who made it not choosing the player whose stand was "Space Jam." I've never ran a Fate game before but if someone here has and wants to try it out, it could be a fun way to test out the rules and tweak it as necessary. I've already got an idea for a stand too based on the current rules. Maybe once the rules are tweaked a little we could try playing a game of it over in Trad Games?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
:( All Star Battle looks sluggish as hell. Was that an AI fight or multiplayer? Because jeeze, I liked seeing some of the cooler moves animated but it looks pretty slow. On top of that I've heard that there are characters that are just awful to play as because the game is poorly balanced. If that's true then that really sucks. I don't care if a fighting game has imbalanced fighters but I've heard ASB has characters that just aren't designed to work with the actual gameplay.

In either case hopefully a few sequels down the games will be better and much faster.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I feel like Phantom Blood is short enough that you'd might as well watch/read it since it provides a bunch of context for later parts. It also has some great characters (Dio is an excellent rear end in a top hat and Speedwagon is just so lovably out of his league). While it's generic, that hardly means it is bad and should be skipped. At least try it and if you really can't make it through then go ahead and skip.

Also this exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doCrC3dUq14

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

I'm afraid this Jojo train is going to stall in part 6, maybe they could cut the two of the sons of Dio and keep Bohemian Rhapsody. Then the end won't be so drawn out.

You really want to skip out on the rods fight where Jolyne just says gently caress it and sets herself on fire? Or the Underground fight featuring Jolyne getting stuck in a crashing plane that is in a hole in the ground under a hospital with another crashing plane near it and also the whole Larry Csonka summoned to beat them up thing?

Shameful

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did I miss something in part 6 or was it just Araki being Araki: When Pucci was gathering all the sons of dio there was a little blurb at the end of the chapter all "But Giorno is also a son of dio, maybe he's also in Florida????" and then nothing. Did I skip a chapter where he made a brief cameo or did Araki just kind of decide he didn't want Giorno ever to appear again? :v:"

Just Araki being Araki. There are a few times in the series where things like that happen. I always just assumed that Araki had plans to start off with and then just changed his mind, like how (more stone ocean stuff) Annasui was a girl when he first showed up or the various bits in part 4 like characters suddenly becoming shorter, or the thing with Josuke's backstory regarding his hair that I'm sure everybody reading thought would be explained as like a time travel thing later but it turned out to just be some unrelated person. Araki isn't afraid to change his mind about poo poo I guess and as much as I'd have loved to see Giorno at least cameo in part 6's climax, we just have to accept what Araki put out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If Joseph had remembered he had ripple then he never would have lost to D'arby :colbert:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

You can gain a Stand by perfecting a skill hard enough. It's like how Tonio got his Stand by practising cooking like a motherfucker.

Also Stands and the Ripple are two entirely different things. Otherwise DIO would have disintegrated the first time he used The World.

I thought Tonio got hit by the arrow as well?

Also it isn't that ripple and stands are the same, it's just that there was a chapter of SBR that goes into how stands can manifest in various ways and that utter perfection at a skill such as the ripple or the spin or the abilities provided by the stone mask or the stone mask + aja would lead to a stand. Or you could just get stabbed by the arrow or cut yourself on the meteorite from either universe or traveling through the devil's palm or obtaining a piece of the corpse part. There are a variety of ways to force a stand but Araki said that just practice and obtaining the pinnacle of perfection at a skill can also manifest a stand (which we only really see happen in steel ball run with ball breaker and the final tusk)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

WickedHate posted:

I guess Tonpetty wasn't all that much of a master after all.

Neither was Kars apparently. :v:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

The ever-increasing specificity of JJBA powers will reach a head when the next JoJo's stand's sole power will be to create comically-oversized bath tub drains on any surface.

It can drain things from the enemy, as well as combining a bunch of drains into a cylindrical figure for oraora-ing. It can be called 「Splish Splash」

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

That was not a stand.

Anyway Cheap Trick was pretty useless. For the User anyway.

Must've sucked to be Carne when he discovered what Notorious B.I.G.'s stand power was.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

A friend suggested "making GBS threads confetti" as a useless stand power. I'm having trouble figuring out how Araki could justify the usefulness of that one.

Mobility stand. Jet around at high speeds through controlled bursts. Fire blasts of shredded paper at your opponent in an attempt to disable them with papercuts.

Call it 「Color of the Wind」

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Pomp posted:

I like how everyone immediately forgets how Weather Report was a huge loving rear end in a top hat to random strangers, and directly assaulted several people over nothing, like 10 seconds after he starts fighting Pucci.

Yeah it's kinda hilarious how much of a gigantic prick he became when he finally got his memory back. I mean, yeah he was angry, but god drat electrocuting random ladies he found and all kinds of poo poo, became a pretty big jerk haha

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

Taking stand powers to their logical extremes and then beyond is what JoJo is all about. Araki's at his best when he still works within the "constraints" of the stands he makes up, it's why I found the final confrontation in Part 3 so disappointing. It starts out with Jotaro having to try to outmaneuver a vastly superior opponent, then it ended with "by the way, I CAN STOP TIME WHILE YOU'RE STOPPING TIME". Also they learned how to fly for some reason?

Did Jotaro and Dio ever fly? I thought that was just a thing in the OVA. I know Dio could jump pretty damned high but vampires have crazy strength and poo poo so no surprise there.

The "suddenly I can stop time" thing with Star Platinum works a lot better when you realize that Jotaro was likely doing it during the fight against Daniel D'arby without the reader noticing. The insane speed and reflexes more or less result in "can stop time" as opposed to Polnareff's speed which is utilized as "can move so fast that he looks like he's in multiple places at once."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So I guess some people were paid to paint and release the whole series so far as an ebook in Japan.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

The Eiffel is real:

Hahaha I can't even get all that mad at this because it's not like these new names are gonna replace the old ones I'm familiar with but god drat some of these name changes are dumb. I guess "Polnareff" wasn't a French enough name :v:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Well, Eiffel is a German name, so...

I'm kind of puzzled by this change, I don't think Michel Polnareff is going to sue them for using his name, I mean they always used it before.

But but but the eiffel tower is in france so french name yeah :downs:

:laffo: I can't wait for JaJa's Kooky Quest: All Star Battle :allears:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Haha Jolyne's HHA dialogue got translated as her saying "How deep can I go? Balls deep!" man it's like Duwang or something up in here.

Edit: Couldn't find the original source image so just gotta deal with that cropped and spliced picture. Chew.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Um how are you posting. Because it says you were banned a while ago.

Click his avatar

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zorak posted:

Is there a compilation of Araki's sleeve comments on JoJo volumes?

You mean the stuff like how Gyro must have soft hands or his "Please don't climb trees!" PSA?

http://jojo.wikia.com/wiki/Author%27s_Note

I don't think it is complete but it has a pretty decent collection of them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zorak posted:

:argh: I was hoping it'd be complete! Alas, thanks though.

Sorry. Here have this.

Araki posted:

"I'm afraid of 'false eyelashes' falling in my house...... Great long ones fall off in hallways and in the bathroom. When there's bad lighting they really freak me out. I imagine they might be moving, it's a real 'horror'. (I can't say who specifically, but) I picked some up and threw them in the garbage and this person said "Why're you throwing those away? I'm still using them!" Then they picked the things up and put them on a shelf. I was really indignant, but also I was even more afraid."

:allears:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So in the ending scroll for Battle Tendency, I'm told that you can find references to all the other JoJo protagonists up through part 7. I saw the butterfly stuff for Jolyne, the arrow and sparkly bits for Josuke, the hand symbol for Jotaro, and the thorny vines for Joseph, but I'm told that Johnny's horseshoe and Giorno's ladybug are also in there. Anyone able to point out where they are with like a screenshot or something because for the life of me I can't seem to find them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I completely forgot about Shizuka.

So did Araki. :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxl6SZf19ec

It's a mashup between this and Quad City DJs. It's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I didn't make these but I laughed so I thought I'd share them.

Here's the template I found for it.

• Locked thread