Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

DrSunshine posted:

Here's a pretty good shonen manga about bicycling! It kind of reminds me of Eyeshield 21, in that it has a sort of wimpy hero get sucked into a sport and then get really really good at it.

Yowamushi
This series is like... super, super pure shonen battle manga, I mean, you can directly mainline that poo poo.

Entertaining enough, though.

e: Actually I just realized that the series has both the spikey-haired hot-blooded guy and his brooding cool guy rival, but our protagonist is actually glasses sidekick.
|
|
V

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ArcadePark posted:

Your image seems to be broken. I'm getting a redbox.
I can see it just fine.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Soth posted:

Well it's not like there's a seinen thread =\
I sincerely hope that's sarcasm.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Of course, that proves they wouldn't attempt it if there wasn't a cute girl for the male MC to try to court.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Begemot posted:

I'm glad he takes regular breaks now, because I don't want him to die before he turns 40.
This scenario has been impossible for over a year now

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
You cannot be saved now

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Every other girl made up for that, tho

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I can definitely see that sensei 3-panel strip being spammed on the internet for the next few weeks

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It's a trope that has spiraled out of control for decades now.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I know what I'm paying for, but a lot of scanlators still suck

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
they're all geniuses, right? they're gonna find a way to clone and manufacture more nariyukis, thi s is inevitable

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i guess in some ways they are but jav demonstrates that in other ways, they aren't

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
One Piece is the dictionary definition of why shonen manga tropes work and will always be popular

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I can't really make myself follow OP from week-to-week anymore, but whenever I've been able to get back to it, it's been as comforting a read as ever.

it will also be the only long running shonen series i will follow for the rest of my life

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Brought To You By posted:

I think my biggest problems with One Piece are Oda's refusal to actually elaborate on the void century after all these years and even blue balled the readers with the Reverie arc, and because of this an entire character has been more or less side-lined because Robin's whole schtick is being the archeologist but despite having read multiple marker stones she's shed bubkiss about what she knows.
yeah

quote:

The other is that despite in Dressrosa, Luffy clarifying what he means when he says he wants to be king of the pirates as "the most free". This is still a battle shonen and it's abundantly clear that having a rubber body really needs to have it's effectiveness inflated so that it can stand in the realm of natural disasters that are the Admirals and Yonko. Haki was supposed to remedy this but everyone else gets it as well and they are still better at it than Luffy. The end result is that now more than ever Luffy is out of his league when going to an island to dispose it of the local tyrant. And this has made it frustrating that he keeps on surviving despite Luffy stubbornly charging headfirst into every conflict and then surviving because his opponents decide to prolong executing him for whatever reason they have. I don't care what explanation exists, Luffy should have died no less than 3 times on Whole Cake Island and it made the whole affair annoying as hell.
nope

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
otaku: senseis are our next target

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Grouchio posted:

France confirmed to have poo poo base-level taste. :colbert:
The poo poo they license is sooooooooo much better than what we get in America

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Clarste posted:

Hot take, but We Never Learn seems like an incredibly generic harem to me and I'm not sure why people here like it so much.
it's cute, relatively inoffensive, and runs in wsj, of course it's gonna be popular

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Clarste posted:

I mean, I don't mean that as a deep insult to the people who like it, and it's certainly comfy enough, but sometimes people talk about it being well-written or put down other harems in the same breath and that confuses me a little.
I think by "well-written", people who count themselves as fans of WNL mean that there was a lack of the type & amount of drama inserted into manga/anime romcoms that would either 1) sour them on the series as a whole or 2) in the instance of a good ending, would still make them question why the drama happened in the first place

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i mean 78 ch times 4 pgs per ch is 312 pgs, which is on the low-end as far as serialized works are concerned imo

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Arist posted:

I also find it kind of weird that people are acting like it could only possibly have ever been Uruka, because lmao, come on.
I'll laugh harder than I am now if there's a TRUE END #6/5.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Grouchio posted:

I can't stop laughing. So much salt.
For what feels like once, I completely agree with you

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Irritated Goat posted:

I'd love to see it just keep going as an adaptation but I'm pretty sure, unless it does great, we're gonna get 13 episodes and nothing more.
what was the last weekly shonen jump series to get only a cour's worth of episodes? i would think the main reason why a mangaka would subject themselves to the cutthroat nature of weekly shonen jump as opposed to any other magazine is because that person would feel it would be their best shot at getting a cut of that anime ---> merchandise money

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
jesus christ

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jose posted:

while mangadex is down what are peoples preferred alternatives? the ones I see seem to focus heavily on korean webtoons
-https://www.mangaupdates.com/releases.html to figure out new releases
-/r/ manga, search for "disc" to filter out anything that isn't chapter discussion

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

doomrider7 posted:

With stuff like Taisho Otome, Helck, and now this, I'm kind of curious as to why the upsurge in completed manga getting adaptions especially such a long time after completion. Not that I mind, just curious.
:pray: ookami shonen anime

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jose posted:

It's rare for a manga to get as many breaks as jjk right?
In addition to what others said, probably also case of not trying to kill the golden goose

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Honestly I thought SJ would be in a bad spot after repeated cancellations and the big stuff ending and whatnot, but stuff like Akane-banashi and Ruri Dragon give me hope for its future.
if weekly shonen jump is in trouble, then the entire manga industry would've been much more obviously in trouble beforehand

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Crain posted:

I assume that a lot of the reverse fan service and lewd humor will be toned down in this series since it's in Shonen Jump proper instead of the Seinen brand magazine, which is for the best. Golden Kamui went really far with that towards the.... well all of it really.
even though it's on mangaplus and under viz's shonen jump imprint, it's actually serialized in weekly young jump, a seinen magazine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Dude is probably the most influential manga author since Tezuka, I'm amazed that it was able to be kept a private matter for so long.
japan seems to be very good about keeping a lid on these matters wrt public figures e.g. miura died on may 6 but it was not publicly disclosed until may 20