Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The people who are into MHA are probably making voodoo dolls of Horikoshi or something lol. I dropped the manga when the league of villains arc started because I absolutely don't give a poo poo about those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i'm not sure what the appeal of one piece is anymore

i guess i just dgaf about most of the characters as written and you roll the dice every 100 chapter arc to see whether one of the few you do like are in focus at all. also accept that robin will never be involved in fights 🙃

Oh I am sure it's not the manga for you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Squidster posted:

Read the Vigilantes spinoff. Apart from being a more focussed story, it looks at how day-to-day life works in bizarro quirkworld.

There's a guy who overdosed on a quirk-boosting drug and became a huge mantis thing. He was forced to move to the semi-human district, where services are noticeably worse. It has a researcher talking about how early quirk users were divided into hero and villain not by their actions, but by their popularity. The key to being a successful and rich hero is being conventionally attractive.

The first couple chapters are extremely generic, but it rapidly finds itself and is consistently great now.

Vigilante is so better than the main series that I'm still reading it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yinlock posted:

it's not spared from parental abuse either though considering the whole oh yeah my son can fly but I stopped him from doing it by slapping the poo poo out of him whenever he tried as a baby, i have also never told him about this thing

I though the spoiler was going to be about how Knuckleduster saved his daughter's life by beating the poo poo out of her and stopping her heart before ripping off the parasite bee and then restarting her heart lmao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also swatting your infant child to stop him from flying around and getting in danger isn't real abuse although isn't the best parenting option.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's honestly a more realistic take on bad parenting than the over the top stuff that Endeavor and other bad anime dads do.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Also it's kinda cool to have a character who is more powerful than the MC on the good guy side who DOES consistently do things and gets the fights he needs to fight instead of instantly getting side-lined to avoid "ruining the story".

This this this, very rare for there to be a bigger badass than the MC on the hero squad who consistently gets to fight on shonen.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

Somehow Meliodas one punched the One Escanor. The best excuse you can give for this is that Escanor was a lot younger back then. But even then, how? This is Meliodas pre getting his powers back from the druids.

I thought Meliodas used Full Counter which would make sense for a ohko since Escanor's blow at max power got back at him doubled.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wanna do a Kinnikuman thread bc the current arc is so loving good. All the recent arcs since the new serialization that started a few years ago pwn.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

It's always funny how deadly serious these series are about their high school gangs. Like the entire world is the handful of high schools in this random part of Japan, and the strongest guy in the school is this demigod who is basically a celebrity.

Osu Karatebu ftw

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

is anybody translating it, if yes, who

I made the thread already. Hercules Factory is doing the recent stuff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Sanctuary starts dragging a bit through the Temples but is mostly good, Asgardians is filler-tastic, Poseidon is okay but nothing amazing, and Hades is kinda a mess.

No way, Hades pwned dude. Well until they got to the Elysian fields where the fights were a cop-out but everything before slapped.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 4, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Irritated Goat posted:

I feel like it's MHA without the school\godlike powers from the start. A much smaller cast, a good slow start.

Isn't that MHA Illegals.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Note that I dropped MHA but I quite like and still follow that spinoff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rip my man Escanor

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Arthur/Merlin stuff is probably just tying loose ends. I expected the simps of the ADTRW Shounen thread to grasp this but I guess I'm proven wrong.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

cameo on build king

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

Welp, never read Toriko, so egg's on my face I guess for not realizing that's the author's schtick.

maybe you should

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

Sakamoto Days proving that no matter how dangerous an assassin they encounter. Aoi is still more terrifying than they are. Hardboiled is going to join the crew now, kung fu chick will probably become a babysitter.

As for Mashle; I wish Finn was allowed to handle his own problems, however Mashle beating this mirror force dude into the dust will suffice.

The only reason I won't put Build King as the first is because the writer's previous work is probably going to carry the reputation of Build King for at least a couple volumes then he might go the way of Samurai 8. But man am I not finding anything about it particularly gripping ever since the MC pulled out a hammer powered by his stamina that can fix stuff instantly. Yes, the very next challenge presented something he couldn't just hit into a better state so instead he turned the hammer around and hit that thing hard enough to break it into a better state. I can't help but compare this to Toriko but that series had the decency not to frontload the magic system into the story and just rely on really good cooks and really strong fighters with bizarre anatomies or just outright strength. Current arc is the licensing evaluation and already I am tired of reading the world 'vigor'.

The magic system is just Haki anyway and it got explained super fast already.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Toriko kinda pulled some of that already, he had moves based on forks and knives and other characters had utensil based moves.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

So Fire Force just ended, and it was supposed to be Ōkubo's last series has he has stated he was going to retire after it. But the Final Chapter ended with the words "Next is Soul World" and please look forward to Atsushi Ōkubo's next work. So I am wondering if he changed his mind.

I assumed it was meant to be Soul Eater considering the last chapter literally bridges the two works. I really like the fact that Kid was modeled on Shinra btw.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

excalibur is the oldest living being. he predates shinigami by several hours so he is technically older than the entire planet. i don't know how to feel about that.

ﺧ益ﺨ

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lmfao I welcome hosed up doraemon

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A prequel with Gash's dad set in 1500 AD would be cool

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

midoriya had his character flattened into "determined stare, shouts a lot" years ago, he no longer really shows any of the calculating nature that first defined him as protagonist

once senku says goodbye in a week or two i don't think jump's going to have any existing protags who are actually intelligent as such

Sakamoto is a smart guy!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

wtf they killed ted, gash and cherish offscreen...?!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Elusive's new chapter makes me wonder if they are doing a redemption arc for Shokan of all people (i hope it doesn't) or just show him as struggling with his past acts as a bandit.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I love the Elusive Samurai's Heian Metal Gear so much lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I could see it being a lot more engaging in anime form since in the manga they basically just jump right to the stock footage without any in-between.

Nah, it's monster of the week. The pro-wrestling thing doesn't even last the whole first arc.

yeah the tournament straight up gets abandoned halfway

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Viz put up the original Saint Seiya manga and I'm reading it for the first time. I gotta admit it's... not very engaging. Everything seems to go like this:

"We must protect the prince-"
"Oh no! The Princess has been kidnapped. Time to race against time to rescue her before she dies."
"Not so fast! I am more powerful than a mere Bronze! You can't hurt me!"
"Gasp! My punches don't work"
"But have you considered... PUNCHING HARDER?!"
"HOW CAN THIS BE? His punch punched me!"
"*A scene of someone's head flying off with a blood trail behind it, turns out a page later it was a dream/fake/he was hiding his head in his chest despite us seeing the stream of blood and the head in the helmet."
*replace punches with Ice/Chain/Dragon Punch/Gouging Your Eyes Out by preference.*

Perhaps it picks up but so far it feels like the same three scenes repeated with slight changes. I usually don't mind older stuff so I'm surprised how dull I find it.

Have you tried being latino

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Pegasus Fantasy is a top 100 anime OP for sure, maybe even top fifty.

Brazilian Dub is an insane banger

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Did the guy who Yugi set on fire even die, he could have just been horribly maimed

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cloks posted:

WaqWaq was recently released as individual chapters on the Shonen Jump app which gives me hope that we'll see stuff like Bobobo, GinTama, Ultimate Muscle... available eventually.

Kinnikuman Nisei ran on Jump?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

a kaiju 8 anime so soon is weird considering how slow paced the manga has been so far

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 4, 2022

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

So the manga that "won" October 22's Manga Plus bronze creators awards got put up and oh boy they're some derivative crap.
One (Ruthless Render) is trying entirely too hard to be Chainsaw Man and the other (I Sold My body To A God) is 20 years too late to be serialised in Raijin Comics with Fist of the Blue Sky and Bomber Girl.

The second one started as a hentai version by the artist lmfao I had no idea it had a sfw version and is now being published on mags

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RE: Elusive Samurai

We are approaching the battle in which Ashikaga Takauji historically crushes the Hojo rebellion, right?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I loving love Gash Bell

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, we don't really know anything about #1. they presumably have reasons for providing that service to all their brethren, but those haven't even been hinted at. taking a cut, research, sheer love of the game? there's no way to tell right now.

Could see him being the main antagonist by taking the best body parts of anything the other fabricators bring to him and having a truly perfect body by any measure

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I should have gotten into Roboco before the new chapter is super loving funny

RareAcumen posted:

I'm looking forward to 3 chapters of exactly what I wanted before they start fusing together and things look even worse afterwards.

Considering one of the Enemies is the TLOU parasite there's no way it won't happen.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Larryb posted:

Kinnikuman/Ultimate Muscle is coming back with a new series:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2023/03/16/kinnikuman-makes-an-ultimate-muscle-comeback-in-new-40th-anniversary-anime

Come to think of it I don’t believe I’ve ever seen/read the original, is it worth it?

Yes and I made a kinnikuman discussion thread years ago and even bumped it...