Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Sony of America recently removed their "gameplay" requirement for what they will allow to be brought over, so maybe if Aksys brings F/E CCC over and it sells a good amount they'll bring f/sn proper over.

Although I wouldn't count on it.

Back when Tsukihime was big, Nasu always said that he would want to be heavily involved in any translation of his writing and that he didn't have time so it couldn't happen. I can't imagine that his attitude has changed much in the years since (even if it looks to us like his team have been sitting on their hands for the last few years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Huh. That seems rather strange, given the outright mistakes in the official translation of Extra.

It has never been clear to me how much of Extra Nasu actually wrote himself. He's listed as the scenario writer, but most of the text doesn't really feel like his style (not enough :words:).

unpronounceable posted:

UBW slightly edited stream of consciousness.
What did Gil mean by Faker?

Unless I'm misremembering the context, it's pretty simple. He's a Faker because he creates fakes.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also I was looking at ongoing projects and I saw 12Risen, is this that pseudo continuation of the Infinity series that ended up being really bad or was that something else?

12Riven was the fourth game in the Infinity series; it doesn't share very many of the same writers, and it's generally considered a lot less interesting than the first three. I don't think I've seen anyone say it's awful, though.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I went into Higurashi spoiled much worse than that and still enjoyed it a great deal. I don't think there's anything there that would significantly impact your experience.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Stall_19 posted:

Not too far into Uminenko but goddamn the music is outstanding. Definitely want the soundtrack.

Each game (or each set of games, since you're probably playing the bundled versions) comes with all its music on disc in ogg format. I'd recommend staying away until you've finished all the games in a bundle, though; a lot of the music is best encountered in situ.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

planetarial posted:

Honestly, just do 999 (and VLR if you can) instead of Ever17 if you're interested in it. Ever17 may have a better ending, but 999 is miles ahead when it comes to the journey, pacing, and keeping things interesting even if you have to repeat puzzle rooms.

If you only read one it should be 999, but if you want to read all of them then I'd recommend Ever17Never7 first. They're all good, but it's much harder to go back to the writer's earlier games after playing his later games, both because of spoilers and because of the improved pacing in the later ones.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

I'm pretty sure all three of the side routes have a "are you really sure?" style choice right after you make the first choice to get onto them.

The first two side routes are like this, but the third one is much easier to miss. To get onto that side route, when faced with a crisis you need to do the sensible, boring thing: Call the police.

That said, I never bothered with the side routes. As far as I can tell they add very little.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
If your Japanese is up to it this is one question that might be better answered on Japanese fan sites. The murder mystery VN genre is immense in Japan, especially on mobiles and DS, but those of us outside the country only really get visibility on a handful that are especially quirky or that have higher than average production values.

That said, other standard recommendations would be:

Kara no Shoujo, which I haven't played yet but see recommended regularly. I believe it's (very loosely) a Chandler-style P.I. murder mystery?

The Infinity series all have non-murder mysteries, but these days it's hard to recommend them over the 999 games unless you really hate gameplay.

If you're desperate - and you've played all the other suggestions already - there's Again and the Jake Hunter games, but they're both more "crime drama" than mystery, and they're both average at best.

(After the interesting but fatally flawed Lux-Pain, I had high hopes for Another Time Another Leaf - Kagami no naka no Tantei, but I've never seen a review. Has anyone played it?)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
As far as I'm concerned, looking at the in-game flowchart and trying to second-guess the best order to follow the paths was half the fun. The game doesn't let you get it too horribly wrong.

(e: Oh, and if the game tells you something's really important and you need to remember it? That means it's really important and you need to remember it.)

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 27, 2013

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
It's best not to get too hooked up on "endings" in VLR.

And yeah, the switch from sprites to models was never going to do it any favors. You do get more movement with models, which helps occasionally, but you lose a lot of detail compared to sprites. And it doesn't help that the prerendered sequences look so different from the in-game models; the end result feels very PS1-era. Still, we don't play it for the eye candy (no matter what Alice and Clover's character designers seem to think).

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I don't remember exactly where it's mentioned, but I'm pretty sure Kinzo chose the names of all his children and grandchildren. Something that doesn't come across in the English version is that they don't actually have western names; they all have extremely strange and contrived Japanese names that have been chosen to sound like western names.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Going beyond VNs, Kara no Kyoukai and DDD are Nasu's other big works. For KnK both the novels and anime are solid, so the call probably comes down to how much you enjoy reading Nasu's writing. DDD only has novels, and no-one really talks about it; I've only read the first chapter, and I wasn't really gripped by it.

There's also Fate/Strange Fake, a tie-in novel by Narita Ryougo (who's really good). I believe it's very short, though? I've never seen a copy, so I'm not sure.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nephilm posted:

Wasn't strange fake that April Fool's joke that's just a prologue to a non-existent story?

As I understand it it was released in a "proper" novel form later, but I don't know how much material the second release actually added, if any.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

unpronounceable posted:

The talk of F/SN up the page reminded me that I haven't read Tsukihime, so that's up next. Anything I should know about it going in?

Not really. The game loosely enforces route order, so you can't go too far wrong. The most common recommended order is Arcueid, then Ciel, then Akiha - after that the order of the remaining routes is fixed.

Like F/SN, bad ends are worth getting. Unlike F/SN, there's no in-game list of them. If you're a completionist you'll probably need to go back with a walkthrough after finishing the game.

If you go on to the follow-up games afterwards, note that Alliance of Mystery Eyes should be played before Kagetsu Tohya.

Oh, and "NRVNQSR" is pronounced "Nero". Some people have trouble with that.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Higurashi will ultimately expect you to accept some pretty unlikely things, so it's best to be prepared.

Silver2195 posted:

On Chapter 2, Day 10 in Higurashi. A lot happening, although my suspension of disbelief is getting somewhat strained.
  • Who's Satoko and Rika's legal guardian, anyway? One of the odder Japanese pop culture cliches is the apparently emancipated minors all over the place.
This is addressed in later chapters - I think we ultimately get answers to that question for both of them? I can certainly come up with plausible ones.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Stall_19 posted:

As far as translations go this will probably be the next thing released as I believe it is in the quality control stage. So it should be sometime relatively soon.

Interesting, I hadn't realized this was in progress. I tried to play it a few years back, but I ground to a halt a little way into Hinata's route because the characters completely failed to engage me. Hopefully an English version - and possibly starting with a different route next time - will help.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Mederlock posted:

Thanks, that's what I was looking for

Most of the G-Senjou ending branches are really straightforward "do you want to go with this character", but one of them is a lot less obvious. (Spoilered in case anyone doesn't want to know how to get endings in advance) At one point in chapter 4, there will be a crisis and you will get the option to do the sensible thing and call the police. Calling the police will get you the end for that chapter's heroine; if you don't call them the story will continue on to the next chapter.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Just to check, are other people getting "expired security certificate" warnings when they go to check out at Jast's online shop?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

jackofarcades posted:

Are there any good yuri VNs at all? Katahane? Aoishiro?

I enjoyed both Akai Ito and Aoishiro, but I wouldn't say either of them were amazing. Also, as Blhue says, they're not dedicated romance stories; more like action stories in which the romance subplots happen to be between two girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Krinkle posted:

I never did the maid routes on Tsukihime, did I miss out? I think I got really worn down by the sister route.

Personally they're my favorites, but if you're hoping they'll be like the Arcueid and Ciel routes again you'll be disappointed. They're very introspective, very low on action.

Nate RFB posted:

Whatever happened to the Tsukhime remake?

They've said nothing since Mahoyo came out. I can believe they're still working on it, though. Maybe 2030?

• Locked thread