Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You're incredibly pissed and/or suspicious about him using something that isn't the (terrible) official kickstarter survey tool, so he gave you your money back (I assume).

Congrats, you don't need to give your information to some third-party site anymore! Mission accomplished! :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mikan posted:

One of the most common mistakes in this industry is giving too much time and attention to people who are being unreasonable. Reporting a project to Kickstarter and accusing the creator of fraud because you're uninformed, and then escalating it, I'd be refunding the money too.
Don't forget persisting in the face of everybody under the loving sun explaining that his fears are unfounded and the very good reasons the thing he's concerned about exists!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

jivjov posted:

I'm not asking for a "third option". I'm asking for the option that's supposed to be there from the start. I pledge through Kickstarter, I provide my information through Kickstarter. Like the other 40+ projects I've backed.
Too bad it's not there, and Evil Hat literally can't do the things you want through Kickstarter's built-in survey function.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cheap Trick posted:

Plus they'd probably be better at keeping track of "who gets what" for many-tiered KSes.
I have two copies of Last Stand for exactly this reason.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

moths posted:

I know XXXenophile was kind of garbage, and they've done some style-jarring MtG art, but is there anything controversial there?
They have a steampunk webcomic with a very slow moving plot? :shrug:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rulebook Heavily posted:

It's not a matter of securing a sculptor, but of finding one that meets my requirements.
Build into their contract that they don't get paid for disregarding the concept art/instructions.

... Watch them probably do all that poo poo you don't want anyway.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tollymain posted:

To be fair, the webcomic side of BSS isn't too bad either.
The newspaper comic thread is pretty chill too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Arivia posted:

Every time I look at Runelords I find something new and terrible.

Like the dominatrix succubi with her daughters as submissive incestual sex slaves - complete with prestige classes to match!
With what? :staredog:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Mind, with Golarion, succubi are the tricky supernatural seductresses, Incubi just straight-up force surprise sex on people. Also, you can guess which is depicted more art-wise, too... but then, they know their audience.
Why do succubi always gotta be tricking people into loving? I'd think if they want to gently caress they could just go "hey"

"hey you wanna gently caress"

And have pretty good success.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

His "I hate this so it will be weak / I like this so it will be strong" bent comes out basically nonstop. He hated the idea of monster PCs, and what do you know, Savage Species is a terrible book.
Didn't he straight up admit to, and possibly brag about, doing that too?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What it actually means is that PC game prices have gone down.

And yeah I do the same thing with book prices. :(

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Games Day used to be an actual community event with like, contests for how well you'd painted your minis, games being played, and the like, right?

Games Workshop actively cut that stuff?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Someone should kill those fuckers.
What, humans?

I'm down let's do it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Terrible Opinions posted:

If you don't see how WotC made the same fundamentally marketing mistake in the transition from 4th edition to 5th edition as it did in the transition from 3.5 to 4th, I don't know what to tell you. In both cases the release was preceded by a whole bunch of talk by developers saying how terrible the previous edition was. Then in both cases the new edition was completely incompatible with all previous books, and generally was just a completely different game. Contrast that with how say Dark Heresy 2nd edition has basically just a new edition of the same game.

I like the end result of all this because I enjoy Pathfinder and 4th edition a lot, but from WotC's perspective both edition changes were made by people who did not understand marketing on a very fundamental level. The primary difference is that 4th edition was you know an actually good game, so even after alienating a bunch of people it still found an audience and a lot of the people initially against the idea were won over. 5th edition has the same alienation problem, but from a situation of smaller market dominance, and doesn't have any good game cred to fall back on.
2e to 3.0 was also basically an entirely new game where none of your old stuff was compatible. I think 4e would've done better if there wasn't this perfectly legal way for somebody else to continue producing it independently that Paizo jumped on.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bosushi! posted:

I'm more inclined to forgive OPP for this particular plagiarism slip up because they really come across as generic medieval dudes doing generic medieval things, unlike that time when WW published a blatant trace job from the cover art of one of the greatest action video games of all time.

The poser art is just plain embarassing, though.
Exalted, well known for being a generic medieval setting.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I sold my d20 collection for over $1000. There's still a market for it... at the right price. I even dumped dogs like Legends of the Samurai or The Essential Guide to Elves. You just have to know what it's worth, which often isn't much. Still, there were some books, like Ravenloft d20, that I actually made a profit on.
How'd you do that, by the way? I still need to unload my d20 poo poo. Like, ebay, or what?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Crotch posted:

PF art is a lot more than just Wayne Reynolds and includes a lot of highs and some pretty stark lows (specifically, this lady wearing chainmail bodypaint).
... What does the stat block say her armor is?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Covok posted:

Frankly, they can fire the entire D&D Team and just ask Ed Greenwood and R.A. Salvatore to write novels and they'd might make more money doing that. At least at this point.
"Might"? Didn't the novels of either bring in significantly more than the entire tabletop game line back when both were active?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Also the thing about DXHR is that it presents its ending in essentially the same way the original DX did. And you certainly can criticize that, but it's definitely true to its roots.
Deus Ex 1 at least had you go to different places in the level and do things instead of "3 buttons, and one more button down a short hall".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's not supposed to "make sense." It's OD&D. Each level you gain 1HD and become that next monster. Which leads to some hilarity! Insert the story of the flying vampire/wraith war here.
I'm pretty sure the original concept of D&D was going into a dungeon to extract as much loot as possible, and the dungeon exists because the concept of the game is going into it to get loot.

You leveled up from skeleton to zombie because the zombie was a more powerful form of undead and it was a loving game and didn't care about things that weren't being a fun game.

Leperflesh posted:

We're teetering perilously close to edition wars here - probably the only reason it hasn't kicked off is because most of us liked 4th edition. The real point of the discussion is that a lot of people viscerally reacted badly to 4th edition, and that was a problem for it.
Don't forget that Paizo was throwing matches into piles of oily rags and pointing fans* at the metaphorical flames of edition wars basically the instant 4e was announced, well before anybody had any actual details about anything that was going to be in it, including the people making it. To sell their own copy of D&D 3.x.

*the air blowing kind, not the "i like this thing" people

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

Then later there are the podcasts of Mike Mearls and the rest of the 5E team playing where it becomes apparent that Mike Mearls is just kind of a boring GM in general.
Wasn't there a part where the PCs had to make a skill or something roll to progress, so they just sat there rolling until somebody succeeded?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

.. Wait is the lowest level of rarity "Normal Rare"?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... wait does Humility becoming a creature mean it negates its own ability? Thus un-negating its ability, which meants it again negates its ability and :tizzy:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurieg posted:

It's partially a trick question, regardless of the order in which humility and opalescence came into play, they will both be creatures. But as Ixidron comes into play it is still a spell so it's ability will still resolve, flipping them both face down. There is never a time where Ixidron is a creature on the field with a face-up Humility creature.
Opalescence doesn't turn itself into a creature though, just every other enchantment?

quote:

As far as what happens when Humility and Opalescence are on the field together...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

But its badness wasn't related to its color palette, is the point, and cleaving to the people posting badly photoshopped screenshots of Diablo 3 Extra Brown edition wouldn't have made it any better.
Look, having an actual, subtle rainbow and a reasonable level of lighting was a huge departure from their previous, dark color palette, shown here in this Diablo 2 screenshot:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

Don't forget that, like, half of them are literally pointless. The plane of air is literally just air. There's nothing else there. It's just neverending air with no land or water or anything else. Sounds like a great place to do some adventuring, right?
Yeah, the Elemental Chaos was, as I recall, a specific change for the purpose of "Maybe if we're gonna say there's a place, there should be both a reason for adventurers to go there and it should not instantly kill them if they go without highly specific powerful magic to protect them?"

gradenko_2000 posted:

The best way I know planar travel used is when it's a handy "Wizard did it" explanation. The police in Payday come from the Elemental Plane of Cops. My quiver is a portal to the Elemental Plane of Sharp Pointy Objects. Here's a pot that pours out a stream directly from the Elemental Plane of Gravy.
"Power/Material Source" rather than "Place anybody would ever go for any reason" also works! And it's not like there's a better explanation for where all those cops come from in Payday.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Asimo posted:

From the desperation in their backer updates it probably wasn't just a scam, but what was the actual plan and how early and often did it go off the rails?
I think the plan was "let's make a game like UO, but way better".

You may notice a lack of things like "understanding the current MMO market" or any other very critical things to making a videogame, let alone an MMO, in there. And that's where I think things went wrong.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That doesn't keep goons out, but I don't think any really stuck with it, something about it being boring and awful.
The best way to grief PFO players was to let them continue to play PFO unmolested. There was nothing for goons to do.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Bennies Should Not Be Used As Experience Points

That is all.
I've suggested in the past rather than having bennies be bennies OR experience points, they're bennies until used, at which point they become experience points. So rather than needing to hoard them to avoid crippling your growth, you need to not hoard them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

The crux of this is that nobody really knows. The world's fifth largest economy has declared its intention to exit the european union. Anyone who claims to know what the exact results of that will be, a month from now or six months or two years or six years, is deluded or lying. We just don't know.
Didn't doing that drop them a spot to sixth largest?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

Are kickstarter comments deleted after a while? I can't find the first comments Nuns with Guns relayed here by pressing ctrl+f and searching for the words used there. The first comments from that guy I can find is the one going "Diversity and inclusion and power dynamics in play already".
Did you check for a "load more" thing?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I remember Fred Hicks saying a while back how he had to send a bunch of hardcopies to an Ennies judge overseas (because apparently you can't just send judges PDFs for some stupid reason), had to eat the shipping costs, and then the guy dropped out of judging and got to keep the books.
... Several hardcopies of one product, to one judge?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

A fairly obvious one since they shouldn't need more than one copy to judge it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

Also, Larry MacDougall did art for it. That guy rules. I really should start an RPG art thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605440

I thought we already had one?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Brainiac Five posted:

Episode 4: "She's got it where it counts. I've made some special modifications."
I'm not sure a device which is introduced pre-customized and nobody makes any modifications to during the course of the movie really counts as customizing a vehicle being a significant plot point.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Was that what the first two games were about? I admit I never played them due to not having a PC at the time, so I thought the current situation was always the case.

I mean, I remember people flipping out because the game was going first-person, so I know that was a thing?
The very first town you go to once you leave the vault in Fallout 1 if you're following the normal gameplay path is a farming village where all the houses are adobe or something and in good repair. Aside from Junktown whose gimmick is that it's made out of scavenged junk assembled into buildings and poo poo (and that's notable enough that it's named after that) most inhabited buildings are in decent repair.

Fallout 2 is something like 90 years later and that little farming village is now a large city and the capital of a regional government.

Then, some 200 years later than THAT in DC and Boston people are squatting in badly patched up pre-war trailers they never bothered sweeping.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The really weird thing about the water purifier in Fallout 3 is that like, nobody besides the bums sitting around you can give water to for karma seem to have any problems staying hydrated.

food court bailiff posted:

Is FO3 really set after 1 and 2? It reaaaaaally seems like it takes place a lot closer to when the bombs fell.
I just double checked, and yes, but not as far out as I claimed earlier. Fallout 1 is about 80 years after the war, Fallout 2 is 80 years after that, and Fallout 3 is 200 years after the war.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bieeardo posted:

Bonus points if they're easily reverse-engineered, or actually good examples of playable characters. Zero if they've been tossed undocumented bennies. I've seen that stunt a few times, including what I dimly recall being an early edition of Shadowrun.
I believe Shadowrun 5e's street sam pregen had purchased their cyberware at prices much, much lower than listed in the book.

But if you used 4e prices for the cyberware instead of 5e's, they came out much closer to on budget.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This is not actually the case. A lot of lovely IoT products have opt-out in terms of whether the data is collected, not whether the connectivity is enabled. And that's discounting companies deliberately obfuscating what they're doing, or implementing connectivity features incompetently. A couple years ago one of the early smart home hubs had an admin panel that was searchable over Google, and didn't require a unique login credentials. There's also plenty of devices that are always listening, whether you turn off connectivity or not, and can potentially be forced open if someone finds them while wardriving. Improper siloing of diagnostic and control systems is almost the default rather than the exception.

Conceptually Shadowrun isn't wrong about its lovely IoT. Companies making really dumb, short-sighted, and self-centered decisions should absolutely be a feature of the Shadowrun universe. Where Shadowrun fucks up is it forgets why the IoT exists in the first place. The reason "smart" products are popular is you really can get a ton of added functionality with connectivity. Shadowrun adds wireless to a bunch of items that clearly could function without it, provides no benefit for it, and then has them stop working if connectivity is removed. That's dumb. Sure, in a few cases that's okay - a cyberarm with a wireless diagnostic tool that isn't properly siloed from its control systems is a reasonable quirk or defect - it also mirrors real life examples with things like pacemakers. But for the most part, having connectivity should provide a bonus you lose if you turn it off.

It should be a risk/reward calculation in deciding whether to enable something or not, and if enabled allow a combat decker to close with you and potentially gently caress up your program if they can get something close enough to force a connection. But as pointed out, it got twisted into a way a decker could get involved in combat through the Matrix without having to be present, and a lovely implementation of that concept to boot.
Aren't there some cases where poo poo that used to work in previous editions, like using a smartlink to eject your magazine I think is one, now require it to be connected to the internet?

Leperflesh posted:

There are players who legit expect - perhaps not totally unreasonably - that while they are min-maxing their character to be uber powerful, the GM is min-maxing the antagonists in the same way; e.g., their minmaxing is necessary to meet the expected challenge. They may even feel aggrieved that their fellow players aren't putting in the effort to make powerful enough characters.

In that context the complaint "I just shoot everything" may be expressing surprise that the presented challenge turned out to be much less difficult than they expected.

...probably more often, there's just no more thought put into it than "hey I discovered a set of rule synergies that let me have even higher numbers! Woo" and I have a hard time being mad at someone for doing that, either.

It really is just, the game presented options that stack or synergize or were worded poorly to be interpreted as such; so players can but don't necessarily take advantage, leading to major power disparities between characters. And that's bad game design, period.
I remember once I was running a game, and a player complained that I kept hitting them with (low damage) attacks which completely bypassed their force field.

Until I pointed out that any attack which was capable of getting through it without the "completely bypass force field" attack modifier would outright kill any other member of the party.

Kwyndig posted:

Shadowrun, where the physical adept is always the worst choice and the decker dies if you look at him funny.
Wasn't the physad the best choice in 4e for a few roles... none of which were "fighting things"?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Scaling's a huge problem in Shadowrun. The rules as written want a team of experts, each with hundreds of thousands of nuyen worth of training, cyber, tech, or magic to take on runs at 3k a pop. The books' payout values are just about enough to keep the PCs in lifestyle and consumable gear, God help you if your Decker loses his deck, or someone takes serious enough damage to need a cyber replacement.
I believe just stealing cars and selling them to chop shops is way, way more profitable than the suggested shadowrun payouts. Like not even expensive luxury cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Didn't the whole "4e is no true scotsmanD&D" start well before anybody, including the people making it, knew what the final product was going to be like?

• Locked thread