Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
If I sit at home and give out a couple of hundred Darth Vaders to people who have given me money specifically so they can get those Darth Vaders, you'd best believe that I am going to be dragged to Skywalker Ranch in the trunk of a car and beaten with replica lightsabers until I wet myself.

Or the closest legal equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
If you have "Rape Simulator" on your resumé, then I, as a prospective employer, aren't going to give two shits what exactly you did on the project. You could have done literally anything, but all I am going to see is "Rape Simulator" and I am going to tell you that you're never getting the job.

Likewise, if I am an employer and an employee decides they're going to work on "Rape Simulator" as a side-job, then they'd better hope it pays well because they're not going to be employed by me for much longer.

"I didn't actually write any of the rape stuff, I just made sure it looked nice" isn't really going to persuade me to think differently in either situation. You still worked on a project I find morally objectionable. Ensuring you do not work on any of my projects means that I can safely make sure that at no point anyone can ever say any of those projects are "from the team that brought you Rape Simulator".

But that's just me.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Mors Rattus posted:

That's unfair, there's no mention of rape or whores.

The playtest PDF posted:

The gentry fight one another, and if you lose, you can expect to be hung from your feet and eviscerated, so you can look at your guts while you die. Or if male, castrated and kept naked on a leash in your enemy's hall; if female, given no food and raped daily until you starve.

Just one of the many citations about just how super-duper rape-happy everyone is in the darkest of dark ages. You're spot on about the whores, though, but probably only because there's no form of currency with which to pay them.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Pope Guilty posted:

Dunno where else to post this, but it looks like Deadlands is getting a TV show. Be funny if they hyped it up and then just showed Brisco County, Jr reruns.

Doesn't Microsoft own Crimson Skies, actually? I know they put out the Crimson Skies video games. Maybe they should do that, shouldn't be any harder than doing CGI for magic cowboys.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Libertad! posted:

I do not know what Looking For Group guys have done, although given the large amount of 3PP folks out there it's probable that Paizo's not aware of their possible wrongdoings.

As the resident webcomics hate figure, allow me to field that part with a brief look at why Looking For Group is bad and why nobody should ever give money to anyone involved with it.

Looking For Group (LFG) is a webcomic by Ryan "Rayne Summers" Sohmer, a self-absorbed narcissist whose main webcomic (Least I Could Do, or LICD) is a tour-de-force of lovely pop culture references saturated over a baseline of pathetic wish fulfilment and misogyny so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Whereas LICD is set in contemporary modern-day America/Canada, Looking For Group takes us to the lands of Azeroth, where all the serial numbers have been filed off and it's fair use and, look, it's not even called Azeroth, ok?!

Yes, that's right, it's a thinly-veiled ripoff of World of Warcraft for hilarious comedic parody that stops trying to be parody and tries to be legitimately serious about 30-40 strips in. It still has the same level of lovely pop culture references and misogyny, though.

Sohmer, the architect of this colossal waste of resources, is a man addicted to launching Kickstarters. He's launched maybe seven or eight since the site first came into being, and delivered on about... two. Ish. The last colossal failure was LFG-related, where has asked the paltry sum of a million US dollars to make a LFG videogame. That's right, a videogame based on a webcomic based on... another videogame. Run by a big company with big scary lawyers.

This Kickstarter failed not for the usual reason you might think - that you can't make a videogame full of carbon copies of Blizzard's intellectual property - but because Sohmer's die-hard fans were somewhat bitter that the last two kickstarters they donated tens of thousands of dollars to have yet to produce anything. Namely wacky Disney song parody youtube videos like this one.

(This is the same "animation studio", run by Sohmer, which produced this unforgettable creation.)

There's a lot more besides that, but it's a reasonable general summary. In conclusion, Sohmer is a money vacuum that sucks up cash and produces no reasonable content in return, and giving money to him or anything related to him is ludicrous. Also the LFG product is probably loving garbage because Sohmer has no imagination or creative talent.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Surely as a walking corpse you're going to favour the bodysuit over anything else, if only because it keeps your bits in place? Like, you're gonna want to minimize the amount of exposed necrotizing flesh on display, or risk getting attacked by crows and vultures when you go outdoors.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Look, we're not Fighters of the Coast."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The obvious response at this point is to go full-on conspiracy mode and tell him that it must have been the cops who took his stuff, because why else would they refuse to file a report? Then counter every attempt for more free stuff with increasingly more cryptic and fervent updates on how you're uncovering this vast elfgame conspiracy that's going all the way to the top.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Attach a picture of a dollar bill with "IN GOD WE TRUST" replaced with "BEND BARS LIFT GATES" and the all-seeing eye is a d4.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Mors Rattus posted:

Also Eddy Webb from Onyx Path, though I think he mostly runs their web stuff.

The job he was born to do.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
When you're elected to Congress, you're a congressman/woman. When you're elected to the Senate, you're a senator.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
What do I know, I'm British.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Yeah, and you could also (shameless self-promotion in action) buy my books :v:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Kwyndig posted:

You really should, by the way. Izzy Hartley and the Luminal Magnifier is probably my favorite debut novel of all time.

Aw shucks :3:

I've been working hard on Izzy Hartley and the Impossible Bridge, so you'll get to find out what happens!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Sell me on this book of yours, please. I might be interested.

Joanna King is a former schoolteacher in a mid-20th-century Earth that has a history similar to, but pointedly different to our own. If you listen to Joanna's new employer, genius inventor (and American teenager) Izzy Hartley, it's all because of time travel gone wrong - or right, depending on your point of view. But more importantly than that, Izzy has invented a device called the Luminal Magnifier. It is beyond the ultimate in telescopes, able to perceive any point in the cosmos in perfect clarity. Not to mention in real time, regardless of what the speed of light says, thanks to a particular quirk of physics that means Albert Einstein owes her a soda.

As you might expect, the ultimate spying tool is bound to attract a lot of attention from the wrong people, and that's not even mentioning what it might see out there in the far-flung reaches of the opposite side of the universe. Meanwhile, Joanna's just trying her best to stop Izzy from eating nothing but junk food.

If that sounds interesting to you, maybe check it out.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Well if they're supposed to be so diverse, then why isn't there a single OSR designer on there?" is also an incredible talking point that's been taken up.

Isn't "OSR designer" a bit of an oxymoron since it's all about copy-pasting forty-year-old rulesets?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

potatocubed posted:

To be fair to the OSR it follows Sturgeon's Law in about equal proportions to everything else under the sun.

The real problem with the OSR is they've become a welcoming home for awful people, which is increasingly making their presence at any given event a net negative. Like, do you want to increase the chance that Pundit will show up to your con?

All you'd have to do is put up a "No Smoking" sign and he'd stay away, though.

(Also thanks to this thread I've had my best week of sustained sales to date, thank you for reading my books :3:)

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I would have bought it earlier if I'd known it was released dammit! Seriously, I loved it and my 11 year old niece thinks her Uncle Humbug is awesome for giving her a copy. She loves it too[ (This is the same niece I gave a copy of Golden Sky Stories to)

Oh no, my heart :ohdear:

Tell me which one she loves and I'll prioritize the sequel for her :v:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Me and some others from TG played NWN multiplayer a few years back as a retro-nostalgia thing. I was a dwarf and I would pay any amount of gold or items for booze from the others in the party, then immediately drink it. I was the most inebriated meatshield you could hope for.

Ah, memories.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
What a colossal loving clown.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Leperflesh posted:

Christ, it's such a wasted opportunity, too.

To call them Stalkers instead, I mean.

Stalkers are well known for spilling beans, after all.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The Corgis, if we're going on personal choice.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Nuns with Guns posted:

jill stein likes GURPS, pass it on

jill stein likes GURPS purple monkey dishwasher

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Falstaff posted:

The Essentials line complicates a hypothetical 4E reprint though, since it's the most recent version.

Essentials was a mistake and should be treated as such.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

slap me and kiss me posted:

Right. The country you want is Canada:

I'm kind of hoping that's not a real advert, but Poe's law.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Do you just innately become a disappointment and a poo poo if you're a straight white dude who spends more than a decade in the industry?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Jimbozig posted:

Well how about this forum? If I post "Serf came to my house and killed my dog because of my bad posting," what should the mods here do? Even without adding the emotional stakes of sexual abuse, it's not an easy question. Adding a sexual abuse element to the allegation makes it even more fraught. What is a good policy for this forum, and for forums in general to deal with allegations of off-site misconduct and crime between forum members?

The rules say directly "Flames and insults do not constitute harassment." Which means that on this forum, posters are free to berate each other, be generally obnoxious in their behaviour, and even make up stuff and present it as fact. Just so long as it doesn't verge into hate speech (racial slurs, etc.) which is against the rules.

So in theory, yes, you can repeatedly make the claim that Serf killed your dog. At least up until the point it becomes considered a low-content and/or "worthless" post, at which point it breaks the rules. Which means the lesson here is if you're going to engage in targeted harassment on these forums, be entertaining about it.

Wow this place is kinda hosed up when you take a moment to think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

slap me and kiss me posted:

Someone should send that to Mearls

Then he can forward it on to Zak.

• Locked thread