Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

It's always amusing to see subbers/scanlators being catty at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xythar posted:

Those were just some ramblings he wrote one day at work when he was bored that got added to the blog post because we found it amusing.

Your sense of humor is lacking.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The latest plot angle has been everyone trying to shoot Eren dead over his new Titan superpowers until a POWER OF FRIENDSHIP speech makes them all calm down and trust in his new abilities to save the day. They formulate a plan, Eren gets into position, he activates his powers, and...promptly starts trying to murder his allies because that is what rage-giants do you loving idiots.

Mm, yes, this is as generic and predictable as they come, indeed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kild posted:

Full Metal Alchemist Anime 2003

Nope, Valvrave.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pensive posted:

You will honour the great leader and address President Führer King Bradley by his full title citizen.

I'm not even joking. That's his name.

For anyone currently going cross-eyed, "President Fuhrer" is his title and "King" is his first name.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
From the sound of it, it seems like the filler is really loving up the tone the original manga struck. There's very little of that generic "war is bad!" or "I will protect you!" crap in the original script; all the characters, the kids included, are usually curt, grim, and resigned to the violence that pervades their lives (or in Eren's case, downright giddy over it). The pall it casts over events lends the story this feeling of desperation that, weirdly enough, never becomes so overbearing that it makes the audience apathetic - these kids just can't catch a loving break, but they always square their jaws and throw themselves into the meat grinder in hopes of making a little more progress this time. The cookie-cutter idealism from the anime filler seems to be hobbling all that, but given the events of the next major arc, I seriously doubt any of that nonsense will last.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

Is it idealism? It seems more realistic to have some kind of rationalization for a bunch of 15 year olds summoning up superhuman courage to fight giant monsters. I thought Pixis's point about the families and friends who aren't fighting was very good for doing that. Other stuff, like Rika's apparently anime-original speech were duds though, I agree.

It's just not soon enough to say that this has turned into a "typical shonen." I guess you could second guess Eren's latest roadblock, but maybe it will have a novel and grim resolution? Just don't say you're going to drop the show because of the last couple episodes, and then you won't be pigpiled.

The "superhuman courage" is the sticking point, really. Recent events have shown pretty conclusively that, while the recruits have any number of reasons and rationalizations for fighting the titans, their minds still snap like twigs when the fighting actually starts. Even if they don't collapse into sobbing, delicious wrecks when the giants advance, they become so disorganized and frantic that the battlefield turns into wall-to-wall red stains and chewing noises. Major exceptions have included Mikasa, who's basically emotionally dead besides her co-dependence issues, Eren, whose psychotically gung-ho attitude just got him eaten, and Armin, who's distinguishing himself solely through his ability to keep it together and formulate half-coherent strategies during a crisis. BURNING SHOUNEN SPIRIT in Attack on Titan is only going to make your flesh spicier, and any filler that plays to those generic sources of inspiration is just wasting time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's slightly mitigated by the fact that the average AoT chapter is 2-3 times the length of something like One Piece or Naruto. Then again, an awful lot of that extra length is used in the action scenes, which have been a little sparse recently.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sanzuo posted:

I enjoyed everything about the show up until the Eren is a titan reveal. It didn't bother me that Eren turned out to be a kid with a crazy superpower (well it did a little bit, it's a common trope after all). What bothered me was that he was brought back to life after he was killed. It took away all the impact that his death had and suddenly made me less interested.

We're all clear that he never actually died, right? He managed to bust out before drowning in the titan's digestive juices.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

KyoAni has the same time constraints when they animate a show, and their shows generally have consistently better animation.

Oh yeah sure I bet, those scenes of moe bait eating cake are so well-animated they ought to be hung in the Louvre.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kild posted:

another pic of swole mikasa

Forget Mikasa, look at Levi. He could stop two barrels of buckshot just by clenching those abs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I'M GONNA GITCHA

I'm hoping some of the lower-quality moments animation-wise will be spruced up for the Blu-Ray released, they'll probably sell like hotcakes for that reason alone.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MustelaFuro posted:

Hey I have a request. I'm looking for a new anime to watch but I'm pretty picky about them. The only three series that I've really liked were Cowboy Bebop, FMA, and AoT. I prefer something that has a finite ending and doesn't drag on seemingly forever. Does anyone have any recommendations for anime that have a similar feel and quality to the three I mentioned?

Also, I hate that they changed the title theme to Attack on Titan. I don't like the new one. Were they written specifically for this show?

Baccano! and Black Lagoon. The latter doesn't have a definite ending but it's only two seasons and doesn't have any of the really egregious facefault/sweatdrop/uguu stuff of most cut-rate anime. The former is fully self-contained (despite being just a couple books from a really lengthy and bugfuck nuts series of novels), just 13 episodes including the OVA, and has an excellent dub. Brooklyn accents for everybody.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Hey. Hey buddy. Hey.

Don't link to TvTropes.

Don't do that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Either Connie or Shadis is the best character so far, I can't really decide because both of their voices are loving hysterical.

Let's be honest with ourselves, it's totally Shadis.

"Well SWEET MOTHER THERESA ON THE HOOD OF A MERCEDES-BENZ, you sound like a MAJESTIC loving EAGLE!"

I wonder how many takes that sequence took, there's no way at least one of them didn't nearly rupture themselves laughing.

• Locked thread