Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

My Dad is looking into civil war era grognardery and I'm trying to remember the name of that civil war game I think grey hunter or someone lp'd. I remember there was a mechanic on the confederate side for convincing state governors to give you more troops. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Chump Farts posted:

Forge of Freedom? There is also another one that looks just like that and it may be by the same people?

Yeah I think that's it, thanks.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Phi230 posted:

WinSPMBT is the worst wargame I've ever played.

The igoyougo system does not do it any favors.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I have to give them some props that they let you do whatever silly matchups your heart desires (assuming you have the appropriate DLC).

While CM locks you into "No, you must only make matchups with formations and equipment that are historical for a given place and time no compromises", Graviteam lets me see what happens if a Panzergrenadier division attacked entrenched Iranian infantry armed with M47 Dragons.

That reminds me of a thread i read once where people argued whether Iraq circa 1991 could beat Nazi Germany or not. Evidence pointed towards a strong no.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Should I be excited for the new order of battle campaign?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That almost makes sense but the store page it links to doesn't have a price tag...

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Phi230 posted:

Protip please never play SPMBT

literally all it needs is to get rid of igoyougo and it'd be the perfect wargame.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

in Command what's the difference between an anti-surface patrol(naval) and a sea control patrol?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Baloogan posted:

Rule The Waves imo is the finest naval geopolitical sim there is. Random poo poo, where you are forced for political reasons to make bad decisions is a great model of naval planning.
Ships obsolete by the time they are built.

it's a shame that we probably won't get a sequel set in the age of naval-aviation since that would require such an overhaul of the game mechanics.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Baloogan did you add japanese ww2 carriers to the cwdb just so you could simulate the final countdown?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

baloogan pls include a copy boat with aircraft complement hotkey in the next command patch so I can set up destroyer/cruiser squadrons faster, tia.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Are the only real options for a strategic level pacific war game WITP and finding someone to play empire of the sun with?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I would actually consider buying WP:P if it wasn't physical copy only, or you know more than ten dollars.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That's exactly what the demo seemed to suggest. It should have gone a bit to the left or right on the beers and pretzels to grognard slider.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Baloogan I was looking at the WW2 units in the command database and I had a thought you probably could make a pretty penny from dumb wehraboos if you just added some speculative units for the IJN and nazi Germany to the command database. There's probably enough there to stretch things out till the fifties.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is that the one with basically the entire pacific front?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Baloogan, when is the iranian rocket catamaran being added to command?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm sorry I didn't mean a catamaran that fires rockets.

I meant this thing:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Anyone here try out atlantic fleet? I bought it the other day and it's a blast except for the fact I can't figure out how to target submarines with carrier aircraft.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

In command how do I properly utilize AWACS? Do I want them orbiting a single point or use two points to have it travel back and forth parallel to the carrier group or airbase?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Just weld four F-35s together and you get a four engine heavy bomber with about the same combined payload

Doesn't the f-35 engine have a ludicrous thrust to weight ratio? Maybe that wouldn't be that bad an idea.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Saros posted:

What needs to happen now is the guy who made Rule the waves and the guy who made Children of a Dead Earth need to get together and make some sort of bastard space battleship lovechild of a game.

we need that guy to work on the aircraft designer in rtw 2

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What even is the point of the enrichment slider? Do you have to actually set up an in-depth production cycle?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Do you think grognard games would be in better or worse shape if the cold war had kept going until at least the last decade?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How was battle of the bulge? Reviews on steam seem mixed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How do you handle nuclear strikes in command to avoid things like fratricide and b-2s loitering around when they drop their bomb so they can get hosed up by the emp? Just a lot of micro?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Using strike missions doesn't seem to stop the loitering. The plane waits for a bomb to land on a target before moving onto its next.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So does drive on Moscow have the problems the PC version of battle of the bulge had?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hey baloogan when are you going to add ufos to command so I can test out the ASAT weapons on a worthy target

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

We really need a modern nuke game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

That looks neat.

What's the horrific downside?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Phi230 posted:

it never got fleshed out so its repetitive and not much to do

and it died so itll forever stay that way

It looks like it got updated back in august though?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I forgot to turn my radar off so I immediately was killed trying to do the tutorial.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

And also I have no idea how to use lofar.

Edit: wait no I think i just got confused by the flickering lines.

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 12, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Does sub commander seriously only have one nato sub and nothing else???

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No, it has 4-5 different sub types, including a non-nuclear diesel. [edit] Oh wait, I think you mean Non-Russian themed subs? They're all generics usable by any nation.

Oh, I thought they were specifically that class of sub.

e: this game is pretty near but I can already see how it'd get a little shallow. Does anyone have any recommendations for a warship-simulator with a little more depth?

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 13, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's a single sub simulator.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Atlantic fleet was multiple ships in turn based combat.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok, the golden question...

Nuclear Torpedoes?

They confirmed nuclear war is a thing that can happen so probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

woah theres a new order of battle......