Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Lincoln posted:

I imagine the prices are pretty much arbitrary. IIRC, the parks are more profitable than literally anything else that Disney does/sells, in both gross revenue and ROI. That's why I'm curious: now that a 1-day ticket has bumped up against the $100 ceiling, how quickly will they raise the price and top three figures? That's a very psychologically significant price point for the average consumer.

From the ads I've seen they have been side stepping the one day price by showing the discounted price of a multidays ticket. I fear how much the price of food(including the beloved churro/dole whip) will cost soon since they hit the $99 price point and probably don't want to go above that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Family is having a reunion in Disney and goodie, its scheduled the week of Star Wars Weekend opening and the temperature looks to be a cool 97 degrees with everyone packed liked sardines in the parks. Perhaps its time I buy my first pair of shorts.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Felt hotter than it was just looking at the visitors wearing their costumes for the 24hr thing; Stay hydrated people,. Also if you saw a green furry puppet around the park getting on rides, that was my nephew's doing.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Bravest folks were a Mr and Mrs Incredible in full latex outfits entering the park when the madness was starting around 12am. I wonder if there is a version of shellshock for CMs, as I saw a few thousand yard stares as I was leaving. Now off to the nerd hell scape that will be MGM(I will continue calling it that).

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

The things I would do just to visit the Adventurer's club one more time; Just have to settle on a Trader Sam at the Polynesian I guess.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

sigh. Im going with friends. so no single rider amazingness :[

Sometimes you can luck out and end up in the same vehicle for some rides.

I'm also back to work and have the post disney blues.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

After reviewing my videos the people they got to be the faces for Cinderella' stepsisters deserve a medal for their acting. I'm talking A game Adventurers Club quality of comedy and entertainment. I don't think they even had visible handlers, they were taking care of the lines and cutters of said lines themselves. They even remembered my niece hours later when we passed by them.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like I'm going back to the World for the Villains Unleashed event but this time I'm going to stay at an on-site hotel, would have been a god send for the 24hr event. If I'm already a magic band annual passholder are they going to send me another magic band for the hotel key?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

demonR6 posted:

Nice, you are pay the $60+ bucks for the passes huh?

Well it was my nephew's birthday money to do as he sees fit, and him choosing me as his first choice to tag along with him does tend to melt the heart a little. So his present from me is the ride, hotel, food and my grumblings of his horrible choices of spots for parades, shows and long lines.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

demonR6 posted:

I cannot imagine the misery of standing in this heat during or worse.. after one of our afternoon storms. The last time I was at the park after a moderate shower you could see the steam rising off the pavement and it was loving miserable. It wasn't peak summer either, I would end up going Wayne Brady on someone then.

Its also fairly common to see people wearing their ponchos with their hood down after the rain has stopped, complaining how hot it is(Hint you are wearing a trash bag in high humidity). I remember a lady once almost to the point of fainting once while wearing her poncho after a hard and quick downpour, in line outside for Maelstorm. Cast members had to be called out to be a screen while they got her a wheelchair and medical service. I'll give Disney and Universal this, when someone is injured help comes in super quick, must be the panopticon of cameras.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Doronin posted:

I'm still really bummed I couldn't attend that. I was browsing Instagram today to see photos people have posted, and I like how it looks as if J. Worthington Foulfellow and Gideon were just wandering around like tourists.

But what was risque about the Oogie Boogie show?

It was like a circus freakshow, sword swallowers , sensual(pretty tame) fire eaters, and marksman with crossbows shooting at each other. Also an awesome opening acting with a magician.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Yo dawg I heard you like ticketed events. so we put a ticketed event in a ticketed event. So you can go to a ticketed event while in a ticketed event.

Also after mulling it over the Villains Unleashed would get a 3 out of 5 for me. If you go by other people who went, I think I'm on the higher scale of scoring it. It was two steps forward one step back by Disney in general. While I enjoyed myself, I'd probably wait another two years before I even think to go again, if it continues on. Hopefully Disney will have solidified it's planning/organization and make it worthwhile experience and not have me doubting the use of my time and money.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I'm going to miss the giant mural at the loading area for Maelstrom. Think they'll also try adding Big Hero Six to Japan,after this news?

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 13, 2014

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I remember a tour that had you walking above(?) a set they made for a short film they made just for the park starring Bette Midler. I just don't remember where; was it by where the pirates experience is?

Also looks like I'm going to be able to make it to the last day of maelstrom. Sadly the fast pass for the last couple of hours have run out. Guess I'll wait in line for the last few minutes before they cut the off.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

demonR6 posted:

Disney publishes a new version of Hollywood Studios map minus the Sorcerer Mickey hat. When questioned by the local news their reply is "We have no announcement to make at this time.." The cat is out of the bag.

Might as well bulldoze the whole park and start over(except the Tower of Terror and Rockin' Rollercoaster section) if the hat is being removed as well. Then they finally have a chance to build a working theme park layout and not have to play Tetris on where to place new attractions in a forgotten dream of an idea of having a working studio in the middle of a theme park. I recently realized that I now prefer to visit Animal Kingdom more than MGM, don't know if that bad or good.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

So how accurate are the weather reports for when you are actually in the parks, I mean the masses of people moving to and fro must have an impact in temperature? I ask because the family picked about one of the worst time to get together and go to the parks(both in crowds and weather), and it looks like cold weather(for Floridians) is predicted for next weekend. Seems like it won't break above low 60 and just go down after sundown.

First time I have had to think about bring a jacket to the parks as I've never gone when its been cold and windy.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Ah crud, the person who was making fast passes for the group tommorrow, just told us that they mistakenly only did it for themselves. and when they try to copy over their fast pass to the rest of the group it won't let him get the same rides and times. Right now he's the only one with 7 dwarves on their band and there aren't anymore. From a preliminary google search, it seems the CM at the fastpass kiosks have the shadowrunner skills to copy it over fully to us, or is my group going to have to someone removed from their Christmas cards list and add a name to the book of grudges?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Don't know if this is old news or not, but while searing for the old news of Turner Classic Movies being the new sponsor for the Great Movie ride I found this on their website:
http://www.tcm.com/disney/ride.html

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Has there been any first hand reports if the opening of the hub and it's walkways has eased the congestion after parades and fireworks?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I spent the entire Festival of Fantasy parade just chilling in the new gardens in the hub, and it was like I had the place to myself, even though the streets were lined with people for the show and the park was packed. It's a nice little area that is just kind of relaxing

I mean more along the line of what's traffic like for us cool guys trying to get to the other side of the park and squeeze in a couple of rides while you hippies lay in the grass and watch the pretty lights. Or when the first mass exodus starts and you got to grab your family by the arm or lose them(still looking for our uncle we lost in 03(he somehow ended up in tomorrowland) )as you'd make your way through the hub.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Once you get through the main crowds on the street, the garden provides a clear throughway that isnt' crowded. But I imagine getting through the people on the street is just as hard as it always is.

Thanks for the update, happy to hear that it actually worked. Now we just have to wait for that bypass and everything will be peachy.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

BRB, going to sell my house and kids on ebay so I can buy that monorail car.

Convert it into an airbnb and rake in the dough, probably don't even need to put a bed in it either.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I only go for Pizza Planet for the meatball sub, and meet the rest of the family at Studio Catering if they are eating there. Pizza Planet is probably the loudest of the eateries in the world I've been to.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I wonder if the wildlife will be gone from Flame Tree, at least temporarily, due to it being closed for so long.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Have they opened up the Starbucks location in Animal Kingdom yet? Planning on grabbing all the resort mugs, to gift the set, when I come down this weekend.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

demonR6 posted:

RIP Quixotic for planning a trip to Disney on a holiday weekend. We can meet up for cocktails later, we will both need them. I am going back to SWW for more order requests and I will definitely be taking those specialty booze cocktails.

Don't cry for me, I am the walking dead. Nephew wants to go, for one last ride(quoting to me Furious 7) before his graduation from HS and I couldn't refuse. I just plan to people watch during the 24hr event and witness the insanity, is the Space Mt arcade still closed? That was an area alot of people were taking their naps for last years 24hrs.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Well I felt(and still do) quite the fool on Saturday morning at the park; for some reason I thought the 24hr event started on Saturday and not the previous day, oops. At least my nephew got a laugh from my error, as he knew I was wrong during the whole planning period.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

demonR6 posted:

Oh hell so you missed it.. it was pretty busy compared to previous years. I posted my favorite pic of the lone guy passed out on the bench. The babies left alone in the strollers by Splash would have been winners as well if it wasn't for security cockblocking my shot.

Were people sleeping on the fireworks grass area now that they could? I want to say this weekend wasn't as bad as last year weather and crowd-wise but who keeps count.

Also to add to my series of unfortunate events, I forgot to grab the Starbucks Disney mugs. Told myself I'd pick them up on the way out, but when one stays till closing time, the lizard part of your brain activates and seeks only the nearest bed.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

demonR6 posted:

Yes, there were quite a few people sleeping on the grass. One couple had bought one of those terribly expensive Disney blankets and was sleeping on it using terribly expensive character pillows as well. Random people sleeping along benches, it felt like being downtown only they were not bums and did not reek of alcohol.

Do I need to make a Starbucks coffee mug run for you?

Wouldn't feel right to ask that of you. That and shipping would probably be bad for ceramic mugs; never shipped anything fragile before, always afraid they'd arrive as jigsaw puzzles.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Uziel posted:

9 days to go until we arrive! Three quick questions since we are starting to pack:
1.) which of our reservation restaurants have a dress code? Like, all of us will be in tank tops every day/
Dinner O'hana, Lunch: Cinderella’s Castle, Dinner Inn at San Miguel, Breakfast Chef Mickeys, Dinner Scifi Diner, Lunch Be Our Guest. The remaining meals are all quick service.

1.) Non of these have a dress code last time I've been to all them,beside maybe no swimsuits. So enjoy.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I'm also planning a Tokyo trip too, though there isn't as much info out there on planning, found only a few, which pale in comparison to the World. If you hear about a baka gaijin getting trampled in the opening run to The monsters Inc ride it might just be a goon.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Edna Mode posted:

The Disney Tourist Blog has some good trip reports for Tokyo Disney. At the very least he takes good pictures.

Yeah that's one of the sites I was looking at, the pictures just make me just want to buy a ticket and go right now.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

What's the MSRP on the ballin Starbucks mugs?

14.95 before taxes, and you can use annual pass discount on it.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

demonR6 posted:

Not AK unless they stealth opened a Starbucks recently.

Yup they opened it recently though their cup is the one I like the least;looks like a finger painting. Also downtown disney has a cup as well but it just Orlando related.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Did anyone else know about these new annual pass updates or did I just miss the news?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

On my way to the World today, if you see a guy disney bounding as Rescue Rangers Dale and hanging with a bounding Big Bad Wolf today, that'd be me and my nephew.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Had to call my credit union today because they froze my card yesterday after several small charges in quick succession in a single day; drat you food and wine. Was only able to try out about half the countries before I got full and jumped over to MGM for Citizens of Hollywood show, best show in the park in my opinion.

And here is the winner of that day's funniest citizen contest Betty Shambles, who made it to the finals by using candy as a bribe for a kid chosen from the audience to select his choice for finals.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle went up and goofed hard. He thought his wife bought the memory maker, while she thought he bought it(i thought this only happened in movies) and when they came back to download it were they disappointed. Now they asked me, which I don't know the answer to, so I'm asking here; Can they get the pictures by buying the memory maker after the trip or is it only before?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

10 more days :woop:

I booked for Ohana after reading your guys impressions and then finding that there is all you can eat (?) potstickers.

Originally I had a restaurant for Teppan Edo, as we don't have hibachis in northern new england, but cancelled it for Ohana. Now that I know I can afford both, do you guys think Teppan Edo is worth going to? I really wanted to go to Biergarten but my girlfriend is super awkward and I know if we sat with random people she would be quieter than a mouse.

Last time I went to the garten I asked if they could seat me at a corner cause I'm left handed, they must have amused me by granting my request so you could try that next time so your girlfriend wouldn't be between people. Also I found people tended to lean towards their own party, just think of it as elementary school all over again, except without the food fights and the thieving of chocolate milk or the ice cream.

Happitoo posted:

You can buy it at any time up to 45 days after the trip. It's tied to the MDE account.

Thanks for the help. I wonder what would happen if I took his band to the park next week and used it for the photos; Want to catch the last of the Osborne Lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Lincoln posted:

Anyone know where i can find transcripts of the monorail spiels? I've only found a couple, and they're very old. Like, 1999.

Wasn't able to find any transcipts, but there are sites that can download the closed captioning for youtube videos for you. Only problem is you will have to delete the time stamps and correct the wrong words. Or maybe hire a mechanical turk to do the transcripts.