Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ograbme posted:

I'm positive it's in 47-50. I was looking in there for his first reaction to season 4, but I guess it was taken down.

No that's still up, I just listened to it. Its 60 I think, or maybe 59.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like how that guy had to spend the entire show just undoing what Rob Schrab did in the last DnD session.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Arstan posted:

I think Adam Goldberg may have won me over, this week. His subreddit story was pretty relatable-- particularly the part about Levi being an annoying cringefactory. He showed a level of self awareness that I always assumed he didn't have. But, maybe jumping in to the spotlight often enough will force that upon a person.

Either that or he just drank more at the shows early on

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
So why did Spencer switch games?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Arstan posted:

I don't know why, but I expected him to be better at D&D. It was interesting to hear Dan talk about their history. I was surprised to, ultimately, be disappointed that Adam Savage couldn't make it.

So, does Maggie exist, or not?

He was arguably better than Erin this episode. At least he didn't derail everything with random gibberish.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don't care about either one of those idiots or their dumb feelings.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

RE Jeremy: He made a huge post on R/Harmontown about how he was really, really drunk when he came on stage. He had been drinking because he hadn't taken the breakup well.

More broadly:
The metanarrative of how everyone on the podcast thinks they come across (enlightened) is very, very different from how they actually act, which is 20-30% of why the show is so hilarious. The only two who're consistent with how they act in terms of politics and patronization are really Spencer and Kumail, which is why they're the best characters. There's a Dan monologue this week that ends in a really neat reveal about how he feels about black people. Also, during D&D I'm 90% sure he drops the N-bomb and the crowd does not go for it.

Didn't hear no N-bombs.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Still no Spencer :(. Also Jeff is a bit of a grump.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I was more annoyed by his True Detective rant but yeah. Chill out grandpa Davis.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

qbert posted:

I like that Dan just let him go and then gave a quick "Chill out!" one-liner in response. There's plenty of scientific inaccuracies in the movie, but I'm positive Jeff doesn't actually know any of them and it felt like he saw an article headline somewhere and wanted to spout out "angular momentum!" to sound smart.

A stunning role reversal in a way.

I'm assuming the Harmontown movie will be on netflix streaming at some point? I don't really want to hump it out to Austin or spend money on it, but I do want to see it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Just started this episode but Dan already sounds lit.

edit: Dan's Bieber rant surpassed his previous one in both scope and insanity. Also it's somehow jarring to listen to someone out of the audience with a lot of measured and well educated opinions.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 25, 2014

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like the cycle Dan goes through in D&D where he yells at friendly NPCs in one game, but then feels sort of bad about it so he tries to negotiate brainless monsters in another game.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like Erin but she's bad at D&D. Thats my Erin review.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Nemo posted:

It's not like everyone takes D&D seriously except for Erin. Kumail is obsessed with dicks and Lady In Red, Jeff tries to gently caress everything that moves, and Dan gets too focused on story structure and motivation.

They're all just drunkenly having a good time, and I wouldn't change a thing.

I obviously don't care and don't want them to take it seriously, that would ruin it. Sometimes Erin just starts screaming gibberish during it or something.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Teaser of harmonquest is up

http://io9.com/exclusive-look-inside-dan-harmons-dungeons-dragons-g-1557106189

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Occupation posted:

God dan is the absolute worst DM ever

OR is he the best???????

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

qbert posted:

If I were an audience member at Harmontown I would never go up on stage for any reason. Harmontown audiences seem quite hostile to people who jump up a lot of the time, even despite Dan and Jeff encouraging participation.

I just remember that one dude who claimed to have recently broken up with his girlfriend, and the audience immediately went "Bullshit! No way a guy like you ever HAD a girlfriend!"

Even the hosts were amazed at that reaction.

Well a lot of the time people just get up there and don't have much to say. I think the success of a few weirdos becoming Harmontown "characters" sort of emboldens people. My favorite random person to take the mic was probably the psychiatrist lady who sort of threw a spotlight on the half-drunken pseudo-argument the hosts were having, because clarifying a topic and making the discussion more reasonable is something really out of character for the typical stage-stormer.

In a lot of ways this podcast is sort of a simulation of having a discussion/argument with your friends after you've been drinking for a few hours, which might explain why I like it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Goldburned him, I guess.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Dark Souls is the kind of game I would have loved in middle school when I had unlimited amounts of time to waste playing video games.

Oh, and Joffrey is a Baratheon, not a Lannister.

Joffrey is a bastard, born of incest. The Seven Kingdoms belong to Stannis Baratheon by rights.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

tinstaach posted:

Oh cool, there's a thread for this. I've got a huge backlog of these (I'm towards the end of Harmoncountry, Salt Lake City, I think), but I haven't listened to the radio in months, there's so much gold. I almost drove into a ditch this morning after this one:

Erin: "You're kind of like my [pastor] dad."
Dan: "Yeah, I've got a congregation, I've got followers."
Jeff: "Does your dad smell bad too?"
Erin: "No, not really. Dicks taste the same, though."

Also, please tell me that Dan Harmon Sports Corner is still a feature.

Yeah there was a Sports Corner World Cup Edition last episode.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

JesusFists posted:

According to Dan's twitter, tonight's Harmontown will feature the return of Greg Proops! He's one of my favorite guests in small doses, but I'm thankful that Tylenol with Codeine doesn't make more frequent appearances in D&D, as his constant talking over everyone makes it rather difficult for them to actually progress in the game.

He seemed a bit bummed when the crystals turned into monsters. "What happened to my magic powers?"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Whatever happened to harmonquest?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Insanity Prawn posted:

Spencers impression of Greg as tylenol with codeine was pretty great.

Yeah that was my favorite

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Dan died when the Frost Giant King (Jarl?) squashed him after he yelled at him for a good 10 minutes straight, but was then revived.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 30, 2014

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Davedave24 posted:

Be sure to tell people how much you appreciate them, because you never know when it might suddenly no longer be an option.

Also it sort of suggests that the guy who tweeted that thinks that Dan might be suicidal.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Kumail's more of a half-ubiquitous cast member.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Action Man posted:

Harmonized Impressions is growing on me because I love Dan not knowing who the hell he's supposed to be sometimes.

"She can talk?"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Really great d&d in this ep.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I skipped that one and the GENDER POLITICS one based on the short show blurbs alone. I have no regrets

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

What elephant?

The funniest elephant in the world. RIP bicentennial elephant...

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I bet on never, because it's kind of a bummer.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah I'd be pretty pissed if all I got in the box was sandwich fixins.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Did the guy actually look like JJ Walker?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Spencer needs to stop telling jokes. He's just not funny. At all.

He's funny when he's not trying so hard.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Man I didn't know they were coming to Houston.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

superjew posted:

I think I'm OK with just listening to Harmontown. I watched the Chicago show and when Harmon started wandering around the audience I was really put off.

What didn't you like about it?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Giggs posted:

Have I got news for you. If you think Adam is terrible then just wait for some of the other people who try/do get on stage and act/speak in a much more embarrassing and even less funny way.

Adam is a-ok.

I'm probably more forgiving than most people in this thread when it comes to people getting on stage, but this latest tour has had a few people that were super bad.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

Agreed, but for me this was all topped by the Russian guy wanting to ask Dan just one question, and then the question was so totally ridiculous I just lost it.

That was awesome. Make that weird russian guy comptroller.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress he was saying about Joel McHale.

He saw Joel McHale in something, so he looked him up and found out about Community. He pirated Community, then I guess enjoyed it and listened to Harmontown. So he flew all the way to LA from Moscow to go to it, I guess, with all his life savings in tow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Foma posted:

I wish Dan wouldn't be so accommodating to the PC police. Cameron Espisito and Rhea Butcher nailed it with the paraphrased, I don't need you to protect me, line.

I've been kind of indifferent with Espisito when I've heard her on other things, she just kind of went on about the lesbian thing a lot. However, I totally agree with her and Butcher about the batman thing, and I'm now tempted to try their podcast(s). I've wondered more than once if the whole Nolan Batman thing was some mass delusion the world experienced; that third movie was the dullest super hero movie I've ever seen. At least the Schumacher ones were aggressively bad, I'd rather watch something that sucks than watch something that's so dull I start drifting to sleep.