Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm a huge sucker for monsters, but Hakaijuu just got really dumb. It started off fine, even great, but it really overdoes the humans are the real monsters!!! thing to the point it becomes farcical, and outside of that it's just a constant stream of side characters being introduced and then killed off for no reason. I really wanted to like it, and read seven drat volumes of it in the vain hope it'd get better, but it didn't. I'm worse off for having read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

JSnake posted:

Is anyone translating Bambino Secondo, the sequel to Bambino? The first was a really awesome cooking manga and I'm really saddened by the fact that it seems like no one is doing the sequel. I know AnonSpore has said he won't be doing Secondo, which is understandable. But you'd think someone would have picked it up, seeing as how it's finally finished.

Well, for starters, the raws available online for Bambino Secondo aren't complete. That means that if you picked it up, eventually you'd have to buy, debind, and scan the volumes yourself, or just throw up your hands and call it a day. I was actually at that point for the last three volumes of Bambino until an extremely charitable fan bought and scanned them for me (I'm still astonished that someone went to all that trouble--scanning manga is a huge loving drag).

There's also the matter of Ban's Fukuoka accent, which can at points be hard to read even for native Japanese. For the average fan translator, poo poo's gonna be pretty hard to read. The source material also includes liberal smatterings of Italian in addition to the Japanese, which according to native Italians is rife with errors. So if you were a huge sperg like me you'd need to consult with someone on the Italian as well.

Though, personally, I'm as surprised as you are. I've gotten more people asking for me to continue Bambino than I have for any other series I've picked up and then consequently dropped because I am a big poopyhead who burns out way too fast. Apparently that enthusiasm doesn't extend to translators, though. Go figure.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Tankoubon is just the fancy Japanese word for trade paperback. Magazines in Japan are printed on paper that once, long ago, had had aspirations of being toilet paper, so even with intensive editing work you often end up losing details of the original art. Tankoubon are actually printed on passable paper so you have a lot less editing to do, and your end result is better anyway. Buying tanks is also much cheaper than buying every magazine or getting a subscription, for those scanlation groups that want to do their own scans instead of relying on some dude in Japan.

^^ Some mangaka do it all the time, others never bother. Murata Yuusuke in particular is infamous for going back and touching up cuts/panels/scenes he thought he didn't do justice to the first time around. He'll also go even go as far as completely redrawing scenes so that they fit the flow of a volume as opposed to a weekly chapter, or doing the same for scenes that were originally in color so that they look good in black and white.

Most mangaka don't go that far, but most of them do include end-of-volume extras at the very least, along with a few color pages at the front of the volume.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Monster is really really good.

I Am a Hero wouldn't fit your criteria because at times it can get pretty violent, and there are sexual themes at several points in the series.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Kurosawa isn't comical! One of the few manga I had to put down for a while because I couldn't deal with certain scenes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

There's a new chapter of Black Lagoon out!

That face Rock makes near the end! :allears:

It's the face Hiroe makes at people who wish he drew more than a dozen and change pages every three months.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Yeah it was pretty awful but it makes sense in a weird sort of way once you learn it's a remake of an actual literal BDSM/rape comic.

The mystery then becomes "why did anyone want to remake it."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Hey, I finally got myself a tablet big enough to read manga on and I'd love some recommendations. Here's what I've read already:

If you like history try Bokko, Historie, Shigurui, Vagabond, Otoyomegatari/A Bride's Story, and The Ravages of Time.

If you like manga about fighting in various degrees, try Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru (warning, this is 50 volumes long and I have no idea how far along translations are), Holyland, TOUGH, All-Rounder Meguru, and Teppuu.

I dunno if this has been translated into English at all, but Yamikin Ushijima-kun/Ushijima the Loan Shark is also a really good one so try looking that one up.

Kiseijuu/Parasyte is good, by the guy who's doing Historie. BOYS ON THE RUN is also a must read in my opinion, by the guy who's doing I Am a Hero.

Try Samura Hiroaki's stuff, especially Blade of the Immortal.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head that hasn't been recommended yet. :v: Also I'm seconding all of Nine of Eight's recommendations because he has good taste, cooking and medicine are awesome.

Ooh, and try Yonensei for a short (one volume) story about a young couple, because I have a massive soft spot for Kio Shimoku's works.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 11, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Cooking Papa is old as hell but it's also still running. You know what that means?

124 volumes and ongoing. gently caress yeah.

Bambino is fully translated but it has an untranslated continuation. It's possible to just enjoy it as it stands, though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I love her. I can't figure out whether her eyes are constantly spinning or she's wearing weird glasses, though.

That's just the way that Japan shows someone's wearing really thick glasses.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Stayed up late to finish Bambino! (or at least what's been translated of it) last night. Bloody brilliant and I highly recommend it even if you don't have a particular interest in Italian cooking. Although I would've enjoyed some more 'instructional' elements like in Cooking Papa, the focus on interactions within the kitchen was really satisfying overall. Ban does fall under the "gotta be the best!" category of protagonists, yet I didn't find him that irritating - he's hot headed/blooded while still having enough introspection and empathy to make him interesting.

I thought the scene (spoilers for fairly late in the manga) where he makes dinner for Eri and her fiance was pretty sweet. I've got a weakness for characters who use their expertise to express themselves positively.

Personally I thought the New York arc (specifically the part where suddenly they're cooking for Cosa Nostra) was the weakest, and though I don't condemn the suddenness of Hayama's death as much as some people do, I do agree that Sekiya seems to have relied on "in real life poo poo just happens" to handwave it. Also Etsushi popping up out of nowhere was the most hilarious retcon. Overall, though, it was pretty good; I feel that the pros outweigh the cons. Still, next time I think I'll leave the scanlating of it to someone else. :v:

Sadly the sequel is not anywhere near as good; I feel like the mangaka lets his real life anti-Chinese and anti-Korean sentiments show in his work toward the end, which is a drat shame. Also not a fan of the direction the art took. And the whole arc with Tsuchiya was not only way too long but also entirely uninteresting.

trucutru posted:

My only issue with Bambino is that the cooks and other workers are being heavily exploited by the restaurant owner and nobody really acknowledges it. When the rich rear end in a top hat friend points this to Bambi I would have expected him to at least dismiss it but nope, not a peep. Overworking yourself for peanuts is what you're suppose to do, I guess.

Chas McGill already touched on it, but yeah, to the best of my knowledge that's just how being a line chef is. Granted I'm not actually one myself, but I did receive several emails from people claiming to be working in the business while scanlating Bambino, and more or less all of them commented on Bambino being extremely faithful to the spirit if not the letter of what it's like to work in the food industry. I guess it's just something you really have to love.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I hadn't realised the second part was out. I'll have to look for it later even if it isn't quite up to the standard of the first.

The New York arc was weaker, though I still found it interesting because I'm fascinated by how foreign cultures are depicted in manga and anime. I feel like Urasawa is probably the best at this in Monster and Master Keaton. I could detect a bit of xenophobia in Bambino! but it wasn't too bad.

It's complete in Japan, but it hasn't been scanlated at all to the best of my knowledge.

About the NY arc: On the one hand I found it hilarious how Ban was such a "Japanese person in foreign country" stereotype, especially that initial scene where he worries about the taxi taking too long to get to the hotel. The mafia bits, though, were equal parts endearing homage and eye-rollingly bad stereotype. Wasn't really a fan of Coyote's backstory either. All in all it felt like Sekiya tried to go for a serious and realistic approach but unconsciously slipped in stereotypes to fill in the gaps of what he didn't know.

I also found it funny how only the two competing dons were acting like real people in the whole mafia cooking arc, while everyone else was operating on weird honor rules. The Lorenzo brothers in particular were pretty bad.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Taniguchi Jirou's The Lonely Gourment is the only good, contemporary, (mostly) realistic food manga I can think of. IF you're okay with manhwa, Huh Young-Man's Shikgaek is also really good.

Chuuka Ichiban! and Shouta no Sushi are also classics, though neither of them are anything even remotely approaching realistic.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

It kind of stopped being funny while veering toward mild body horror, but no one acknowledged the change. Everyone reacted to grotesque physical transformations and warping reality as though they were interchangeable with the reactions from the early chapters (which were limited to some dude acting silly). They never really made it clear why anyone would ever want to eat bread that would transform you into a lovely pun/hideous freak.

Hey, in the real world some people will actually eat wild fugu liver raw just because it's supposed to taste really really good before you, you know, die. Considering that, maybe it's not so strange that dudes will eat reality warping bread if it's delicious reality warping bread.

That said yeah, Yakitate started strong and went on like 20 more volumes than it should've. Same with Iron Wok Jan which shouldn't have gotten a sequel (the original ending was fine if nothing special).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

duckdealer posted:

It just seems odd to me that someone would start translating a title like this without knowing anything

That is often the case with fan translations, yes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I think it's worth noting ahead of time that TMD is not entirely realistic, and makes concessions to fiction and manga tropes in particular in the interest of telling the story. You might wanna keep that in mind when the manga starts touting the Batista surgery as the be-all end-all of heart surgeries.

(It's still a good manga though)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Apparently Black Lagoon started back up again this year. I thought the guy had quit two years ago.

Start is a bit of a misnomer. A better way to put it might be that it woke up from the coma it was in, but it's paralyzed from the waist down and can only communicate in blinks.

What I mean is that it only updates every two months with a chapter shorter than most of Weekly Shounen Jump's offerings.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

Most things not the Holocaust have a happier ending than Ashita no Joe.

Ashita no Joe is very cheerful when you compare it to things like Saikano and Grave of the Fireflies. :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I've been reading this series Yamikin Ushijima-kun about a loan shark (yamikin) named Ushijima. It's incredibly dark/depressing but also pretty good and worth reading. I definitely recommend it, but only if you're okay with reading something that isn't even remotely uplifting.

Seconding this. Ushijima-kun will make you rethink your life choices, but it's really good. Also it does get a bit lighter later on, though I don't think scanlations are even close to reaching that point. And by lighter I just mean "the schlubs Ushijima goes after don't end their arc strapped naked to a tree in the woods."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Welp, I hope people like it more than I did 'cause there's a reason I didn't continue working into the sequel. :frog:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

Care to let us know? I think you might have mentioned before that the constant use of Italian made translations hell to figure out.

I talked about it briefly a few months ago in this thread so you can look that up through my post history if you want. It's behind spoiler tags. To say it even more succinctly, though, I didn't like the way the art evolved, I didn't like the direction the story took, and I felt the mangaka let his real world political beliefs show through a bit strongly considering it's supposed to be a manga about cooking the foods.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

RatHat posted:

It's still getting updated infrequently.

EDIT: Can anyone help me remember the name of a manga? It was set in feudal Japan, about a fight between a one-armed guy and a blind guy. The whole story is a flashback of why they're fighting. I remember it was really gory and had an anime adaption that I don't think was very good.

I would say Shigurui but that clearly can't be it because the anime adaptation of that manga was amazing. :colbert:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

Yeah I caught those today and I was about to post about them. As a Street Fighter fan I love that she got pissed off when he used a tick throw.

Hi-Score Girl is full of fighting game references. As someone who also plays fighting games it's really neat to see jokes in it that actually references the gameplay, and not just "oh it's a karate mans doing a shoryuken ho ho isn't that funny."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Zingih posted:

I love Hi-Score Girl, have read all the volumes and am looking forward to the anime, but man that manga translation has serious problems. Feels like they're just guessing around on some parts which is a shame as I'd love to recommend the comic to some friends. Like, chapter 4 page 7: "And a shoryuken would've been impossible too. Don't use your fists with this guy...!!!" should've been "Don't use Ken if you can't even do a shoryuken!". Same page, "directly competing with me earlier he took heavy damage, should I call it quits here" -> "I guess I'll stand back before receiving direct bodily harm". Pretty much every other line on that page was mistranslated too.

It's such a nice manga though, really makes me feel nostalgic for the whole arcade culture even when I never was part of it. At first I wasn't a huge fan of the artstyle but that really grew on me too.

Oh god did they seriously see ケン and translate it as 拳 that is amazingly terrible.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Genocyber posted:

The Baccano light novels are pretty good. There are translations collected here.

Word of caution, only one translator out of all of those people is actually translating from Japanese :v:

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 15, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Who cares? They were all very enjoyable regardless.

I would advance the opinion that mistranslations aren't enjoyable but whatever floats your boat I guess. Baccano is good, though Narita has this annoying habit of recapping things every volume, or sometimes multiple times a volume, that anyone who's been reading the story probably already knows.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Well, assuming the chair gives you maybe two feet of elevation and the concrete slab is say, five feet thick (reasonable estimate from the illustration), that'd leave someone standing on the chair more than enough room to climb out once the slab had fully lowered, yet make it nearly impossible to actually climb out while the slab was still coming down.

e: Also there's 8 people in the room, they have 10 minutes left, meaning the ceiling is coming down at a rate of anywhere from roughly 2 feet to 1 foot per minute, they have no hope of enacting this climb-on-the-chair plan until the ceiling is low enough and no hope of actually leaving if the ceiling gets too low even if there's still technically room left, meaning all 8 people would have to finish this climbing plan within the space of maybe 3 minutes at most.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 4, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

tomanton posted:

Any sports buffs following Last Inning?

Saitama Private Academy's baseball club won Koshien 30 years ago, but has fallen to a shadow of its former self and faces disbandment when the school's parent company eyeballs its baseball field as good land for condos. They're given a one-year stay of execution on the condition the club reach Koshien in that time - a tall order, considering they're worthless - but the desperate principal recruits the best man for the job, in the form of a brilliant but controversial former team captain who's since become a swindling salesman. He's big on sabermetrics, mind games, and generally anything that can make the impossible possible.

It's all tropes you've seen before (did I mention the coach pretends to hate baseball, and initially refuses the job??) but the author's combination of hot-blooded baseball and cold-blooded moneyball hits all the right notes and the tension in the games is nail-biting.

I don't play or even follow real life sports but I'm a huge sucker for sports manga. I'll definitely check this out.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

did that actually happen? I never read wolf guy.

Yes

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Isn't it fairly short tho? IIRC it's only a couple of volumes.

Yeah, it's two volumes, though the second volume is extra long because they didn't have enough for a volume three and stuffed everything they had at the time of the magazine's cancellation into it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

Bambino 2nd has updated skipping a chapter and I'm starting to see how it falls apart and stops making sense. It says something about the pace of this manga that I didn't even realize they skipped a chapter at first. The 2nd chef who keeps defying Ban has finally confronted him and Ban responds by assaulting him in the kitchen. Meanwhile most of the servers have decided to stick it to their boss and skip work.

It's so drastically different from the first I have a hard time believing its the same author. It seems more like making the characters act like morons for the sake of whatever plot the author wants to push. Apparently it starts getting really nationalistic later on, but it's been 10+ chapters of Ban acting like a child and not controlling his subordinates until it erupts into him assaulting one of them.

A sick part of me is kinda relishing this because I get to look at all the people who kept nagging me to continue the sequel and tell them "I told you about Secondo dawg," but mostly I'm just kinda sad, because I kinda felt they were happier not knowing, and all the time in between with that build up of anticipation has probably only made the disappointment worse.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

Yeah, I thought the whole point of the first was to show that Ban is now an adult and gets how real life restaurant works. Instead they have him turn back into the hyper agressive rear end in a top hat he was at the start, refusing to directly confront his sous chef, not involving the owner/manager even when he's told to get his kitchen in line, and finally just flat out assaults him when the sous chef insults him.

This is the same character who, when got jumped during the mafia cook-off, held his partner back and demanded they settle it with their cooking.

I keep following it because I can't get enough of cooking manga, and I think I've read everyone that covers the topic, but aside from Toriko and Shokugeki none of them get updated regularly. My favorite, Nobunaga no Chef, hasn't been updated in months and is still 2 volumes behind.

Have you tried Silver Spoon? It's not a cooking manga per se so it flew under my radar for years but drat it gets me hungry. More than most cooking manga, and I've read more cooking manga than I can count.

I'm kinda sad The Lonely Gourmet (孤独のグルメ) and Le Grand Chef (식객) weren't scanlated/published in English because both of those are also really good food comics and I enjoyed them immensely.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

I keep following it because I can't get enough of cooking manga, and I think I've read everyone that covers the topic, but aside from Toriko and Shokugeki none of them get updated regularly. My favorite, Nobunaga no Chef, hasn't been updated in months and is still 2 volumes behind.

Drudging this post back up again to recommend Shin'ya Shokudou (The Late Night Diner) which I just learned was being scanlated. I wouldn't call it a cooking manga per se, but food is a big part of it (and it never fails to make me hungry, which is always my #1 criteria when it comes to food manga), and I really enjoyed it and I can't believe I forgot to mention it before. Even if you're normally not into cooking manga I highly recommend it.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 25, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I'd seriously consider donating something to scanlators if it meant getting updates, but I dunno if that is something that people do. Seems like a somewhat murky area (like scanlations in general, I suppose).

I've started Cheese in the Trap btw and I'm enjoying it. I should probably check and see if it has stopped updating before I get too far though.

There are definitely people/groups out there who accept money for scanlations, not just in a donations sense but flat out "give me x moneys to buy y volumes of manga and then z more to scanlate them" or whatever. Outside of that there are also people who scanlate on commission. I don't do it myself though so I wouldn't know the rates or how good they are, though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Puukko naamassa posted:

It's as stupid as it sounds, but if you like silly 80s action manga, it's definitely worth checking out.

This is basically saruwatari_tetsuya.txt

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

It's also available for free legally with pro translations in the Manga Box app on iOS.

I'm pretty sure the scanlations for all the Mangabox series are literally just the Mangabox stuff ripped and uploaded.

But yeah. I couldn't get into Ana Satsujin. It felt like it was fetishizing serial killing, which even I can't really find *~moe~*.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Squidster posted:

I would like to especially highlight Wanko Number One as the single grossest harem ever.

The protagonist owns a dog, and when that dog is inside his apartment he sees it as a sexy high school girl. She talks like a human, but has the mind of a literal dog. The central conflict of the manga is that the protagonist must overcome the temptation to gently caress his sexy dog. Then he gets a cat. When he's alone with it, it is a sexy teenage tsundere.

It's like - who the gently caress sees a pet curling up beside its owner, and is all "yeah, I'd tap that." And who the hell at Mangabox went "yeah, that is totes a thing America will dig"?

I dunno man I don't have a cat but if I did have one who was a sexy teenage tsundere...

Just sayin

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Okay, I don't usually toot my own horn in these threads but this could use some more exposure in my opinon and I'm curious as to what you guys think.

Recently I've been working on Gonensei, sequel to Yonensei which I did a while ago (holy poo poo has it been a year and a half already). It's the story of a young college couple and their relationship. Kinda ugly, kinda funny, doesn't really conform to manga romance tropes but I like the raw feeling of it. Has a little sex (nothing above what you'd see in an R-rated movie).

It's not perfect; Kio has come a long way since he drew this and I think he can to meander a bit during some scenes, but again, I really liked it. :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

coathat posted:

Me and the Devil Blues coming back September 5th.

Are you making GBS threads me, this is the best news I've heard all year

e: Do you have a JP source for this, I see an article on ANN but no source outside of that image, and there's nothing on the Young Magazine the 3rd homepage or elsewhere on the Japanese net that I can see.

e2: Never mind, manganewsjapon has it and they're usually reliable.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

But Prison School is really good too. I've posted about it before, but it's basically the author, after having Devil Blues get cancelled, go "you want lowest common denominator smut, you horrible shitbags? Have all the censors will allow!" and made one of the most cynical, condescending, over-serious, absurd, insulting, borderline porn series out there. It actively rubs the smuttiness in your face, to the point where the vice-president's word bubbles point to her crotch, rather than her mouth. Where every character has the rationality and common sense of a plank of wood, but plays each and every situation 100% deadly seriously no matter how mindblowingly stupid it may be.

Prison School is not a good series, on its face. But when you learn a little bit of the history of the author's prior work and the result of it, it makes PS make so much more sense. It's also just really amusingly stupid at times, like the fantastic boobs-are-fake-butts page.

I dunno about you but personally I'd rather read a good story than a story that's ironically, subversively poo poo.

It's still poo poo.