Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So I just binged through the series and caught up. Way better than I was expecting from a cooking series.

My only question is, is the Rebel Alliance basically every 1st year High Schooler who's gotten a name minus Akira, Copy Cat Chef, and Hojo? It seems like that, but Hojo also seems to be somewhat on team Soma. I'm assuming Akira got promoted to the empty Elite 10 slot, in order to save the Spice Lab, and if the other two aren't rebels they're part of the Central Group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
One of the things that I like about this manga is that who is better than who is situational. Like if Soma hadn't taken on the 1st seat in French cuisine with venison on the fly he probably would have a chance to at least not get blown out in tasting.

He's probably better than at least 4 of the Elite 10 right now.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Erina and Hayama are probably wild cards against almost anyone since they have cooking super powers of extrasensory taste and smell.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not entirely sure this is just a Shokugeki-esque test as opposed to just some kind of other test administered by Elite 10 guys, is it?

If its just "you have to do a Shokugeki against an Elite 10 member and win" then it would be beyond idiotic if everyone in the Rebel group managed to win.

Yeah, it's just the latest fool proof method of eliminating the rebels. Why they aren't just expelled instead of playing obviously rigged games isn't clear, but this is round 3 of the Why Aren't You Expelled Yet Games.

My guess is when old man Nakiri is reinstated as the Director everyone who got kicked out fighting Central gets reinstated, which lets a bunch of the rebel crew lose without going away forever. Soma, Hisako, Megumi, the Aldinis, Alice and Ryo are pretty much all going to win, but the rest of them have a decent chance of losing.

I'm assuming one of the Aldinis is fighting Copy Cat Chef, who along with Hojo is going to fill the remaining Elite 10 slots.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

paragon1 posted:

Part of Azami's public relations coup was convincing students that they wouldn't be expelled for no reason. He needs them to suffer some kind of fig leaf loss before being expelled to keep from looking like a huge liar.

And if Central's ways are The One True Cooking, and these guys deviate from that, then there shouldn't be any problem getting them to lose, right?

I get that A)there's not as much of a story if they just get expelled, and B)The Director wants to have it look like they hosed up, but the way he's going about B) is dumb. Giving someone poo poo ingredients and no ingredients in a cooking contest isn't much different than just sending them a letter in the mail that says they're expelled. The first attempt at utterly destroying dissent by rigging the Shokugeki was a much better evil betrayal of all that is good about cooking.

I enjoyed the work arounds and the little mini arcs themselves, it's just a poor overall strategy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

Rindou just said this chapter that the teachers did it on their own without Azami's knowledge or agreement. She could be lying about it of course, but that'd be pretty out there for her. I guess we'll know for sure if there's any kind of scene of Azami throwing the teachers out on their rear end for it.

Azami is probably lying his rear end off to most of the E10 members, because there was clear collaboration across the faculty to gently caress over the rebel group. Considering they've been turned into essentially a bunch of toadies by this point, it's pretty unlikely they just up and decided to do it on their own. Especially since he was there showing everyone else the proper cooking techniques before both competitions.

There's got to be at least one level of actual deniability between Azami and the E10, so that there's a reason for them to still be there after Azami gets thrown out on his rear end and the Director comes back. Eizan seems to be the only one portrayed as an evil dipshit from step one, everyone else are just up their own rear end cooking elites.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd say that Hayama spices everything exquisitely and it results in a wonderful dish that is at the upper level of the accepted way to prepare bear meat. Soma on the other hand will find a way to better keep the essence of the bear, most likely by using a technique/spice blend that maintains the bear meat's secondary smell kick but knocks it down just enough to be non-detrimental, giving him the edge in a contest on best presenting the essence of bear meat.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sure, but unless they're locked in a box for 3 days each they should have a chance to move around the resort. Erina at least is being coasted and I doubt the exam is a 3 day challenge.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, I'm hoping Soma will have a chance to bounce around and pick up ideas from other people like he usually does, and it's a rare chance for Takumi to get any development.

He's going to be bouncing ideas off Kouga and the Chinese Cuisine cult.

Nothing but Bear Hujiao Bing and Mapo Tofu with bear.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Angry Grimace posted:

I must become the bear.

Honestly hope they set it up so that Hayama doesn't turn out to be a fucken Bear Master or some poo poo because obviously it would be dumb if he lost to a dude who knows fucken nothing about bear meat just because he took a walk.

They told you from the start that Hayama was going to lose because while he would deliver a perfectly seasoned dish, Souma was going to give the judges a dish that actually showcases the full range of bear meat.

Especially after he meets a British adventurer in the mountains who gives him insight into the ways of the bear.

Edit:
This would be an interesting solution for an unexpected way to prepare the meat though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCJ-Ps8LAmo

Gyges fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 1, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crasical posted:

First Mesquite, now Cajun Spice.

ANCIENT AND POWERFUL FLAVOR SECRETS OF THE WEST.

Wake me when they discover the mysterious American substance called Fluff.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
At least Alice has a good dad.

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm just hoping we get a valid explanation for however the gently caress the entire Rebel Team is going to pass. when they're required to legitimately defeat the Elite 10 in Shokugeki.

All of the main cast is actually probably good enough to be a member of the Elite 10, though largely lower ranked members. Other than Hayama, the rest of the group probably aren't going to actually go all out on the Rebels, allowing for wins like Soma had when he saved Polar Star. Aldini and Megumi are both probably good enough to win if the ingredients fall their way despite who they're up against.

I could see some of the Polar Star roommates failing, but I'm also assuming that by the end of the arc everyone but Soma will have been expelled and his win gets everyone expelled by Central reinstated.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Maybe the berries that Soma found in the woods have just a shitload of enzymes in them. Like a real chemical fuckton of protein denaturing power.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kuroyama posted:

Marinating a meat does not tenderize it. It adds flavor to the dish.

Depends on what you're using in the marinade. Most are just for flavor and the meat being marinated is usually in too large of chunks for the time marinated for anything to really much happen though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is a pretty good chapter and the kind of thing I read Shokugeki for, it's actually pretty dense and visually pretty much confirmed Saito's working with tuna without saying a word about it, the cat's out of the bag and the "sword" is out of it's sheath.

So now Souma's just below Erina like he was gunning for since the start of the Autumn Elections. I think a fight's coming pretty soon, the big question to me is: how badly does he lose?

While not necessarily with Erina, I'm really hoping that Soma gets a match with a particularly disgusting ingredient coming up. Like Durian Fruit or something else. It'd be a good "guaranteed" elimination for him by Central that is mitigated by his long running battle with his dad in disgusting combinations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I assume after the current Director is defeated with cooking and the Old Director is reinstated, everyone who has been kicked out by Central and all the clubs will be reinstated.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Logicblade posted:

Megumi x Alice, make it happen Tosh!

Alice deserves some sort of Alice clone or alternate cooking dimension Alice.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://www.shonenjump.com/vote_shokugeki/ The popularity poll's up if anyone wants to submit a vote. Google translate works well enough for the form, just click the red button, click the bottom of the two options at the top of the form the button opens up (unless you have a valid Japanese address and also want an anime blanket for some reason), and put in an e-mail, age and gender.

How can I trust this is real if it doesn't want to know my blood type?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sonata Mused posted:

Pretty bullshit that Alice and Kurokiba lost.

If Japan wasn't so drat far away, I'd totally take to the streets to protest this injustice.

#アリスがよみがえります

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MonsieurChoc posted:

I always liked Erina, and never got the hate thrown her way. Sure, she wasn't as great as Alice, but who is? And would Alice be as good without her cousin to bounce off?

Alice is great just like A is A. In a vacuum or compared to others, she's great.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Clarste posted:

Alice losing sucks because we likely won't see her as part of the comeback (I'd much prefer her to Takumi), but honestly I love where this is going.

I'm kind of disappointed that the entire Mezzaluna thing has effectively been dropped. That was a cool knife, and he's worse off for not using it anymore.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Azami is on the wrong side of cooking, so anyone who is down with cooking is going to turn against him. I expect most of the current Elite 10 will, because his whole Central thing is dog poo poo. The 1st Seat guy is about the only one totally on board with the Central idea, and he seems to be only sort of right about cooking to start with.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

THF13 posted:

I'm not sure why they still think the elite 10 matters, the school has already stripped one of the elite 10 members of their seat without a shokugeki.

The Elite 10 members who voted in Azami voted out the members who had a problem with it. Elite 10 seems to be able to do anything by majority rule.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xelkelvos posted:

So in his desire to find his own brand of cooking, Saiba took up making the bizarre combination dishes that he and Souma have become infamous for?

It looked like it was in response to the people who seemed more interested in what his next dish would be than what his current dish was. If that was the frequent reaction he got, it's no surprise he changed things up to diner cuisine with a side of culinary mad science/alchemy on the side.

He makes things people focus on in the now and continues exploring the culinary storm.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think the purpose of this flashback is to show how Soma and Azami are similar. Each took different lessons from Joichiro's tutelage. Interestingly, Azami sees a single path through the culinary storm that everyone can/must follow. Meanwhile Soma believes everyone has to find their own way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's not the school's bullshit that does him in. It's other people's heretical food beliefs and his refusal to get help in navigating the culinary storm. Mostly his insistence on going it alone.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really don't think we're supposed to think either the old way or the new way are actually right. Like, this is one of the few times where the truth actually lies in the middle. Both the Ubermench Obstacle Course and the Automoton Training System are wrong.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It should also be pointed out, in faint defense of the old way, that all most all the students actually have been learning to cook since middle school. Soma is the only transfer student and it seems like all the "gently caress you, you're expelled" poo poo happens in the last 3 years of like 10 years worth of cooking training.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You know you're in a bad place when Chairman Grandpa wants you to take a break from cooking and relax a little.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MajorMarcus posted:

Regarding the last page, didn't Soma learn anything during his stagiaire regarding cooperation? Shinomiya would be disappointed.

The problem isn't that he doesn't know how to make the recipe, the problem is that Jouichiro is going off script on the recipe. It's hard to anticipate your chef deciding that Thai coconuts are just the thing for this traditional French dish.

Erina is going to be crazy good if this team is set for awhile and she has to anticipate Soma and Jouichiro's manic cooking innovations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Obviously it's Rook Erina.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
What I hate is how they hosed up the translation of why he skied down the hill.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Angry Grimace posted:

Reminder: Erina and Joichirou, neither of whom will be Totsuki students, are apparently going to be forced into a lifetime of involuntary servitude if the good guys lose this high school dispute.

It's not going to happen, but I'd kind of like this sort of set up to happen and the bad guys win. Then the losing good guys renege and there's gently caress all the bad guys can do because slavery is illegal.

I also kind of want Food Hitler to refuse to honor his pledge and then Soma and the crew open their own competing school with the expelled students and Totsuki become a shell of it's former self with no real prestige and the dream of Central unable to come to fruition as a result.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wark Say posted:

Hayama being boring AF doesn't surprise me. I'm guessing it's part of the reason they cast F/SN Archer's VA for him was to make him more likable for fangirls.

Now I'm dreaming of another world, where H. John Benjamin voices Hayama in the dub.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Round 1 is going to the Rebels, Round 2 goes to Central and Round 3 is so culinarily amazing that the assembled audience is going to be loosing their clothes just off the smells of the cooking.

Round 3 is going to be Soma, Erina, and hopefully Megumi.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Actually, I hope Round 3 is 100% team Polar Star, no honorary members.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If it comes down to just one person, you want that person to be Megumi.

Also I forgot how the Team Shokugeki worked and was thinking it was just 3 rounds of 3X3.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm really glad that this chapter opened up with the reassurance that Alice is still Alice. Not like the rest of the herd who got all messed up from the bullshit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The 4 newbies are almost definitely getting eliminated before the end. Aldini and Megumi are 50/50, Erina has a 25% chance of biting it, and Soma definitely makes it all the way through.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i hope erina gets all the way to the end so that she can be the one to kick her dad in the teeth. that'd be way better than having souma do it for her.

If we're hoping, Megumi is the last one standing and just mercs all of the Elite 10 left. Then Azami tastes her nurturing food, bursts into tears, and sees the error of his ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is single elim and right now 3 people are up on the block, right?

I think Kuga is at the very last guaranteed knocked out here but I don't know about anyone else right now.

Kuga isn't in this round. It's Souma, Isshiki, and the other former Elite 10 guy I don't think we've ever really seen before. They're up against 2 hats and some glasses.