Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

mpyro posted:

Is Rindou a vampire or just wearing fake teeth and contacts?

it's anime, friend

welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the origino is pretty odd, what is this mystery spice

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

love knowing what redditors think

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Is this the first time Soma's served first though?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Jerkface posted:

Not sure how I feel about some 15 year old girls being turned into bikini furries

i was laughing too hard at the complete absurdity of the gravy-tasting sauce trails to take any damage

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I really wanna know why that one guy's got a goddamn sword though

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Isshiki cooks a mackerel thing for Soma really early in the series and blows his goddamn mind

It's when they reveal Isshiki's in the E10, IIRC

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

WTF BEES posted:

This is obviously from a million years ago in the story line, but I was re-reading through the series and one clash has always stuck in my craw. The burger showdown in the Autumn Elections. I'm sorry but neither one of those was a drat burger, like at all. I mean both of them even failed to use buns, and what's this "Pickles are the secret main ingredient!" horseshit? "You seem to have used pita for the bun..." no, he used pita instead of a bun, which a burger requires to be a drat burger.

Why does it bother me so much? Burgers are my 100% favorite food ever, and that showdown was an insult to burgerdome.

It sounds like you're never going to discover your own cooking...

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Yukihira Secret Menu #559: Chickencheese

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

blizzardvizard posted:

I know it's not meant to be taken this way but "I will give up my life's work for you, Hayama" grates me a bit.

also let's be fair, the shiomi seminar was just the vehicle for her life's work, nothing prevents her from piddling around in a polar star lab she'll just have a fleet of handsome boys securing her funding instead of getting it as a matter of course

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

maybe he will take nikumi's place and wardrobe

oh please jesus god please god yes

hopefully without re-sizing the clothes so the flame bikini tops are just hanging off him

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm excited to learn why azami's become such a cartoon character

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

if you thought we weren't going to take the time to investigate the background of the primary antagonist particularly when it ties into the background of several other plot-important characters I don't think you're very good at being told stories

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Oh my god is there a specific name/word for that situation where you're best friends with somebody and you're both relatively well-adjusted adults and chat/message/shoot the poo poo online all the time, yet the minute you two get together in the same room after a couple of weeks or 1/2 months, it's like you're the same dumb, goofy teenagers/young adults? Because I do that all the time. And it loving rules. . This chapter loving ruled. :allears:

I think "friends" is what you're going for

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Crasical posted:

I don't actually know anyone who puts ketchup on their burger, so I can't comment.

Explain yourself!! How's this happen

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not even sure where Erina got the reputation for being unable to stand up to Azami given she ran away from home already.

yeah mostly she got it by being completely unable to stand up to azami

speaking of if you still think he's a bad character after he skiied down a mountain out of convenience, go home

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Eej posted:

Hisako is cute and cool and everyone has already forgotten about the part where she decapitates a live turtle to make the worst burger known to man

i'm not gonna weigh in on the burger but the part where she just stone cold aces a live turtle was the moment i started giving a poo poo about her character

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I am INTO THIS

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

isshiki owns, this comic owns, life is beautiful

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

gently caress that, gently caress the ocean, i hate this and i hate everything, life is a nightmare

that guy holding that fish has the right idea

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Begemot posted:

It could be that the protagonist of this cooking manga is, like, really good at cooking.

You raise an interesting point

Though I can pretty easily see Soma just getting cold beaten here and all the focus being on the rest of the gang

Notice: None of this first three actually did anything to help each other, did they? Or rather we didn't see any of it on Soma's side, he just kind of fired off in a direction

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it would be cool if, when discussing the hard spoilers before the chapter release, there was a big 'these are the spoilers before the chapter release' and then literally everything concerning the pre-release spoilers was in tags

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

paragon1 posted:

[spoiler] Isshiki was Eizen the whole time.[/spioler]

well if you understood the merest basics of the art of foreshadowing you could hardly call that a spoiler, mfu fu fu

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

She lost because she didn't check her ingredient quality whereas Soma did.

It makes her sound completely incompetent.

in her defense the factor that decided it was CRAZY minor minutiae, it makes a lot of sense for someone who's always working with top-end stuff and the Most Elite Flour to not think about it when you know that you are absolutely capable of turning out top percentile product

there was no reason for her to do that kind of quality check since she had no reason to have anything less than absolute trust in the organization. meanwhile soma's real-rear end service experience means he'd check on that stuff as a matter of course and not expect actual consistency in his ingredients

narratively this outcome isn't interesting but it isn't stupid and bad, it's just boilerplate. soma's big advantage is always, always, always going to be that at the end of the day he's serving people (judges) and has been serving people since he was a tiny child

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

You're just inserting things that aren't actually there. It's not like Soma had some kind of specific understanding that a low ambient temperature would change the volatility of specific compounds in buckwheat flour. He noticed the quality seemed lower than it normally did, so he changed it. She didn't.

She was on the E10 before Central came around and there's very little to establish that she had some specific allegiance to Central's core philosophies beyond voting for him (and Rindou did also so its not like that means anything) It makes no sense she wouldn't notice that the flour was off without giving a further explanation - e.g. she noticed it but did it anyways.

It could be interpreted the way you are suggesting if they had added something that wasn't simply that she forgot to check whether the flour was still good.

Patware posted:

there was no reason for her to do that kind of quality check since she had no reason to have anything less than absolute trust in the organization. meanwhile soma's real-rear end service experience means he'd check on that stuff as a matter of course and not have learned to expect actual consistency in his ingredients

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

alright, try this on for size

nene doesn't operate under the basis of aroma. she has no real need to consider it in her speciality.

soma, as a shounen protagonist, is mega man bustering traits from chefs he's encountered. that's another detail we get - when someone clowns him his immediate reaction is to grind his skull against them, see the soma/ryou/hayama trinity

through getting owned by hayama and then training exhaustively to beat him in the second match (even if y'all hated that arc) soma had learned to deeply factor the sense of smell into cooking. nene is a mechanically perfect traditional chef who follows perfected recipes - her soba was still absolute top percentile stuff and soma just barely edged out the win because of his experience cooking against people again and again because that's his philosophy and he's in there in the trenches all the time

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Kuroyama posted:

It's more similar to the egg dish Souma made for Erina a while back, that worked because Souma was willing to use lower quality eggs. They even said that the best eggs would be too much for the dish. Kinokuni was locked into thinking only First Flour can make the best soba, and would never think of using Second or Third Flour unless that was a condition of the Shokugeki. That rigidity led to her defeat.

six of one, half-dozen of the other. soma bustering echoes of the talents of other chefs he's taken out is more of a background factor, anyway

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Mimisaka just not being capable of matching Tsukasa's ability despite a perfect trace would be a decent build

I don't think anyone's gonna get upset about Mimisaka eating poo poo

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Astro Ambulance posted:

i want soma to lose, and then mimisaka wins by being Better Soma. mimisaka is the main character now

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Hisako and Soma hanging out was top-o'-the-shelf :3:

Also, for the anime, whenever Koyasu was allowed to go hog-wild as Dojima was always super fun.

uooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

deadicons posted:

So don't insult the god-queen/ real president? Got it.

can we all stop talking about loving politics in the food comic zone holy poo poo

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

isshiki didn't even look at the other fool's bullshit

throw it in the garbage with a spinning motion

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

let's take a second to appreciate smoke prince ibusaki though

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

god what does he look like under that turtleneck

he's got that black desert online body

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the mangastream's out and a lot of its translations are way better and more clear, but [ISSHIKI WAS WATCHING--!] will always beat [ISSHIKI WITNESSES SOMETHING]

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i want a My Hero Academia-style sequence where everyone visits everyone's rooms/houses to talk poo poo

not enough manga goes that extra layer of 'how does this person function on a day where the main character is in bed with a cold', i wanna meet more dads and moms, i wanna see more lovely rooms

what does vegeta read when he's on the toilet. what's vegeta's bathroom sitch.

Patware fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 27, 2017

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

tbh most Actual Chefs that I've encountered are really healthy, fit people. Everyone being toned and ripped is a stretch, but there not being too many big eater boys isn't as much of a stretch as it seems like it should be

source: cousin is a Culinary Institute of America graduate, I've met a lot of people through him

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"hmm we could show off either of these new characters... or we could not do that"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Does this manga really need more characters?

if they're gonna put 'em in the tournament arc i want more than literally loving nothing

you know that you can put some details on a character that'll never really show up again, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

where the red fern gropes posted:

3rd guy didnt job. good job 3rd guy

also kugas an idiot, you should put tracer tong against 1st seat

though i think 2nd seat could have been first but she said she didnt want it so she might be a better cook

i want mr mime to win, rest can lose

i'm sorry but mimisaka's gonna get hosed up