Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I've been playing this solo a while, but playing alone is boring, so I was wondering if you fine fellows in TNG would be willing to offer me an invite? I'd love to raid with you all when I hit max again, but I cannot say I'm anything than yet another dps player. Anyway I'm on JC as Eimi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

IchGestalt posted:

I've already played Smuggler to 50 back at launch - I quite enjoyed it, albeit after chapter 1 it become somewhat boring. I've just got my ship on the Jedi Knight, and I don't really like it - and the story seems too.. cliché.

Is Agent better than this? More involved? (I love their ship). I do not entirely like the Imperials, and I find their capital city very dull. Maybe I should just get over it and level an Agent..

I found the early parts of the JK story very cliche as well, but it picked up for my at Tatooine, with the JK version of that planet being one of my favorite arcs. JK does kinda suffer from rather boring companions, though the Agent sucks in the companion department as well.

Being able to pick your ship would be amazing, as I have the same problem regarding the Sith classes. (I actually like the Jedi ship) Being able to be a Sith with the Agent ship would be awesome.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 13, 2014

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

IchGestalt posted:

Out of interest - how is the BH ship? And secondly, does the BH have a lot of *Spawn in wirst blaster, fire missile, despawn* animations? These bugged me a tiny bit.

Yes to that. And the BH ship is like the space Winnebago from Space Balls, I quite like it for that fact.

Edit: Also if you are apprehensive about playing Empire, I went into the game hating them, but the game is very slanted against the Republic. After playing an Empire character I like them alot better. I won't exactly say the Empire are the good guys, but I feel much better about playing them than I do Republic nowadays. Both factions are pretty horrible in universe.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 13, 2014

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's just my personal feelings, though I suppose as a 40k fan, the faction that actively represses xenos instead of the one that has me taking orders from them has a place in my heart. I'm just saying I never really felt like a hero on the Republic side. The way I see it, the Empire is the one with its back up against the wall, trying to retake its ancient homeworld, while being massively outnumbered and outgunned by the Republic. If it wasn't for the Sith being always stupid evil, they'd be scrappy underdogs.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

But... that's not at all what they're doing? Their back isn't up against a wall, and they're not tyring to retake their homeworld. Nor are they outgunned (though they are outnumbered.)

The Sith lost a war with the Republic ten thousand years ago. They decided to hide on Dromund Kaas. Ever since then, they've been explicitly preparing their revenge, making plans to slaughter the republic/jedi and take over the entire galaxy. They're not scrappy underdogs at all!

Plus there's the whole 'the Empire is ruled over by an entity whose ultimate goal is to consume all life in the galaxy' thing.

My understanding of Star Wars lore in general might just be terrible. I thought they were basically kicked off Korriban long ago and the recent war has been to take it back/get revenge. And the story seems to hint that the only reason the Empire got anywhere in the war was because of how brutal they were. The Republic way outmans them and it was just surprise/brutality/trickery that got the win.

The Emperor on the other hand is pretty indefensible, and I hope the player and Marr get a chance to confront him and end him.

Edit: I mean, changing the Empire is something that the Lightside warrior endeavors to do, and the Agent could do it. As well the Makeb story with Marr is along the same lines of wanting to reform and change the Empire. So it's not an untenable position to take that it could be changed for the better.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 13, 2014

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Well I think there's one thing we can agree on is that the Empire has charisma coming out of its ears. Granted I've only really played Jedi Knight and Trooper, and not for long as the trooper is too OH RAH REPUBLIC, but aside from generic reasons as to their good guy ness I never really had a reason to like the Republic. I mean Satele and the Jedi Council may as well be emotionless robots from what I've seen.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

wtftastic posted:

I really enjoyed playing my male consular. Like, much much more than my Smuggler or JK thus far.

Isn't one of the Consular companions basically Dr. Kriegar?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Christopher posted:

So I've decided to go ahead and do preferred access for now. Any recommendations on what to buy? I really don't want to spend more than $10 if I don't have to. The few perks that come along with preferred status seem to be enough for the time being.

There is a Preferred Access Bundle for $10 with inventory module, crew skill slot, improved speeder piloting I, display character titles, unify colors, and display legacy name and title. There's the Newcomer Bundle for a bit less that contains a Quick Travel Pass, Czerka Cruiser Speeder, 5 minor xp boosts, and improved speeder piloting I. Then for less than 5 bucks there's the Going Places Basic Bundle with improved exploration experience I, legacy travel I, quick travel pass, fleet pass, and rocket boost.

Not knowing what any of this stuff is makes it tough to do an accurate comparison so any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you are going for preferred I would recommend you just sub for one month then drop it. This gets you Rise of the Hutt Cartel, which will let you hit 55, as well as massively boost the speed your first character hits 55. Then once your sub drops get a referral link or something if you can. (I'm not sure if you can do this in that order.) As well it gives you 500 funbux to get either rocket boots or some of the unlocks you'll miss once your sub goes away.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

You originally did get a title that was *Name*, Emperor's Wrath, but people got pissy over not getting the Darth title inquisitors got, as well as it being a big spoiler.

Honestly the warrior story is why I'm kind of sad they aren't continuing class specific stories. A confrontation between a light side warrior and the Emperor is coming, in the same way as what happened with Lord Scourge. I'd love to see that play out.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Nipponophile posted:

So last night's fun run of Dread Fortress was pretty hilarious in all the right ways. We dragged along Eimi, who had dinged 55 literally 15 minutes beforehand, but nonetheless got crammed full of loot drops. Despite things going horribly wrong on most boss fights, we didn't wipe once. I think Brontes actually gave us less trouble than the other bosses.

Yeah you guys rock for letting me tag along. I also only died on one boss. Which surprises me and probably says something really good about our healers.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I have a 55 Marauder and I'm thinking of coming back, but on the other hand, I prefer one handed sabers. If only Juggernaut's stance was better. (Basically wish I could get Jedi animations as an Imperial because everything else, story, look, voice is way better for Imps):negative: Is Marauder still decent after the 3.0 pass? And is there a skill to replace Force Burp? As well I saw they added an Atris and Kreia set, How expensive is it to get my KOTOR2 on?

And speaking of dubs, my favorite has to be the one where they replaced the Emperor with Hamil's Joker and Vader with Bane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcc7w8YmHo

Eimi fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 6, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

If I buy the Revan expansion, does it come with any free sub time? Or is it just the expansion?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

My biggest problem with the story is its all set up, no pay off. Taking on Revan and his gang of super bff best pony friends wasn't really a monumental task, in fact it was kind of a beatdown. Meanwhile all the setup about the Emperor and what his actually coming back would do to the Empire and the side quest for Warrior where you blow up the Hands droids, is interesting, but nothing comes of it.

Also Lana should've been a companion so I can have my space waifu a healer that isn't Quinn.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Medullah posted:

The fight is pretty much rigged so you can't die in it. You literally don't have to even pay attention to it except the two phases where everyone gets thrown to the outside. Then you just have to match the glowing orbs with the circle under the people's feet (Satele will have a purple one, Lana a white). Free the healers first (Satele and Lana) and then do the rest at your leisure.

It would be interesting if they did end up adding new class roles - a Shadow healer spec, but focusing on constant battle regeneration rather than big heals like Satele. Would be a nice change from the Tank/DPS/Healer straight roles.

Having a Bear Shaman esque healer would be awesome. If you didn't play AoC Bear Shamans were a melee class with a big hammer that beat the poo poo out of enemies while providing regen effects to their allies. It was awesome.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

A big problem for SWTOR endgame for me is that I play for the story, and that obviously stops at end game. Course to make it worse, pretty princess gear comes from Cartel Packs mostly instead of raids or dungeons. So like yeah leveling is great, but there's no reason to care to be max level aside from increasing your numbers/farming credits for cartel pack gear.

FFXIV catgirls are far more animu, making them superior. :japan:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

GuyUpNorth posted:

Story used to be endgame to give it more value, but then SoR happened with Jesus Bot and yeah. Your opinion on whether it was for better or worse, but I hate when story is locked behind raids and I don't have latest gear to run them for chance of not dying at dirty glance.

Oh Jesusbot is amazing. I'm more just saying I play SWTOR for different reasons than other mmos. Largely relating to the cool sounds lightsabers make and the fact that I am a horrible Bioware fan.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Easy but very dull and boring. I've tried FFXIV for about 3 months since A Realm Reborn launched, and I just don't get what people see in that game. It's painfully boring.

I can see why someone just picking it up would find it boring as hell, as many classes take /forever/ to really come into their own. Especially if you tried lancer as your first class. :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Only downside would be the whole credit cap since a lot of items for strongholds are rather expensive, as are unlocking non DK shs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I've been playing on an RP-PvP server since launch, and it's got pretty much the perfect combination as far as the community goes. People generally know how to play, but they also enjoy the story and don't give you poo poo for watching cutscenes. Faction balance has always been better than average, too, because Republic appeals to a lot of roleplayers. Best of all, the threat of physical retaliation weeds out the worst idiots on the RP scene.

Strange, given that on Ebon Hawk it's the opposite. Pub side is a ghost town, while Imp side is full. Granted its full of a bunch of tossers who dress their companions up in slave girl outfits and try to out dark each other. So I'm not sure if its an improvement. It's basically fine if you treat fleet like cancer though.

• Locked thread