Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Mr. Locke posted:

Even Namco's Star Fox Assault was a pretty good game most of the time, it just spent too much time being a decent 3rd person action title and too little time being an excellent space rail shooter. Certainly the best thing Star Fox has had since 64.

I thought I was the only person who liked this game. I always thought it was unfairly maligned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Oh god, I had that game growing up. So bad.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

I really care about other people's purchasing decisions

Said in a thread about the sales and marketing choices of Nintendo.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Isn't that Pokemon a remake of what most fans consider the worst set of games? And when has Pokemon caused a huge influx of buyers twice in as many years?

Honestly, the moment I lost faith in Nintendo was after buying the 3DS, the only games worth buying were all remakes. There's only so many times I can play Zelda: OoT before I'm done with you as a company. It's an absolute shame because as a kid born in the 80's, Nintendo defined so many of my childhood memories.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

deadwing posted:

Now the 3DS is flooded with phenomenal original titles so it's alright, the 3DS was pretty lovely for its first year.

Yeah, I know. I picked it up for the first time in a couple years 2 months ago, and have since bought and enjoyed a few games, but I feel like everytime I turn around, they are remaking an old game. They need to stop that and put the money and resources into new IP, or at the very least, supplement their hardware R&D.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
The past two pages can be summed up thusly:

Nintendo is doing whatever it can to keep the, previously, hardcore Nintendo fans from leaving. The general population (i.e. the demographic you need to make the whole venture profitable) still aren't buying the system, and more fragmentation in the form of yet another peripheral to placate the hardcore fans isn't going to help.

I mean honestly, they are doing whatever they can to keep the group of people that they shouldn't be losing in the first place. I say that as a person who previously was in that group. They never should have lost me as a consumer, but they did with the Wii, which I waffled on buying for several years (I ultimately never did). They have completely lost me with the Wii U, and the problem is that there are more and more people like me walking away, when they never should have been in this position to begin with.

Honestly, the only reason I'm writing this is in mourning of a company that was a big part of my entire life until just a couple years ago.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Icy Penguigo posted:

I don't get why people think this is a problem. The peripheral isn't necessary to play the game at all and is focused at an extremely niche group of players who desperately wanted it. They're not going to force this down people's throats and if you want to play smash with the controllers you already own, you absolutely can. I don't think this is going to cause any "fragmentation."

Nintendo's biggest issue right now is the general public being confused about it. Specifically, they are confused about it and the Wii because Nintendo has done a piss-poor job of differentiating the two in a way that is immediately noticeable. Throwing in a peripheral that allows the ability to use a controller from a third console two generations old that people are likely familiar with is not going to help clear up the confusion with the general public that's killing their bottom line.

I was at a Target right before Christmas playing a demo PS4 while my girlfriend finished some shopping, and a guy came up to me and asked me if the XBOX 360 controller would work on his son's XBOX One. That is the population that is spending the kind of money that keeps a hardware company in the black, and they are easily confused picking between 2 controllers for two very distinct systems. That same population is going to turn their backs in frustration when you try to explain that there's 8 different controllers for 3 different consoles, one of which they don't sell anymore, and the other two they didn't even know there was a difference between.

Consumers are ADHD kids in a classroom, and while Microsoft and Sony have done their best to make the kids take their ritalin and keep their eyes on the blackboard, Nintendo has done the marketing equivalent of opening a box of butterflies.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

RBX posted:

Grown men are confused about controllers when the system comes with the only one you need.

:siren:Breaking News:siren: Man uses reductio ad absurdum argument on the internet!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I think you can almost guarantee that the Gamecube Controller Hub will not even be carried at most retail stores, and will probably have to be ordered online like the Wii Fit Meter, Circle Pad Pro, and other similar accessories. It won't add to the confusion, because only those who want it will know it exists.

Amazon.com, un-doubtedly one of the biggest retailers, will surely have it and they already have 113 results when you filter by Wii U controller, and 17 results if you further narrow that by Nintendo brand. And of those 17 results, half of them work with the original Wii, but the other half are only for the Wii U, yet they are all mixed in with each other with no easy way to discern which is which. I mean, it's an issue for people who seek out and read videogame news. It's a frustration bordering on impossible for a parent, grandparent or aunt/uncle who has absolutely no interest in videogames but has a kid/grandkid/niece or nephew who does.

Adding ANYTHING to the already murky and poorly defined marketplace of Wii and Wii U hardware is only going to exacerbate the problem that is already killing them.

Astro7x posted:

Anybody that gets their video game advice from a stranger at Target is not even going to care about the controller hub.

These are the majority of consumers, and the less you confuse them the easier it is to take their money. If you frustrate them, they will purchase the product of your competitor that frustrates them less.

You seek this information out, you enjoy videogames as an interest, and by the very fact that you are on these forums, you are more technologically literate than the majority of consumers. People like you are not the demographic that Nintendo should be worried about.

And I'm also not saying that adding this peripheral is going to slow sales. What it does show, however, is that Nintendo is not addressing the problems they need to be addressing. They need to slim down the options and make the system visibly different from the Wii.

I'll make another analogy. It's like Nintendo is on a plane that's falling out of the sky because it has too much weight, and rather than getting rid of cargo, they just picked up an anchor because they might need it later.

Edit: Somebody made a reference to the Duke controller for XBOX. Microsoft would absolutely sell a couple thousand, maybe even tens of thousands of adapters to make a Duke controller compatible with XBOX One. But they don't, and the reason they don't is to avoid the issues that Nintendo is having. Microsoft learned that lesson from years of mistakes with Windows products, and they are making a conscious decision to keep their hardware marketplace easy and accessible.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 30, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

Please source your quotes

Is that someone's quote? Honestly, I made that metaphor myself.

Edit:

Quest For Glory II posted:

You guys keep finding new reasons why the Wii U is failing that are not why the Wii U is failing

(here's a couple of real ones: lovely tech that made multiplatform games impossible in the future, and poor relations with third party partners who already saw no incentive to porting to Wii U prior to launch, pissing off EA just before launch right after having a "historic partnership" with them at E3 2012, not studying their competitors and ignoring the strengths of their online infrastructure, I can probably keep going and maybe by reason #405 we can talk about the Gamecube adapter)

The Wii had all of these issues, yet was one of their best selling consoles. It sold a poo poo load because "even grandma can play it".

Fremry fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 30, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Yeah the gamepad would be the philosophical reason why they're failing since it abandons their approach of making games easy for anyone to access and understand by taking games back to conventional controls, but the reality is that doing the Wii twice would not have resulted in striking lightning twice. They were right to switch back to conventional controls, but they couldn't help themselves and had to put a stupid gimmick in that ended up sinking the whole thing.

Right, and I'm saying the additional peripherals shows that whoever is running the show doesn't get it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Astro7x posted:

People don't WANT the Wii U to fail, I think there are a lot of people in this thread that enjoy Nintendo games. But thanks to a series of bad decisions, Nintendo might not make it through this console generation in its current form.

Yeah, this exactly. I couldn't be more delighted if Nintendo succeeded this generation on top, but the reality is that they are not and their decisions aren't helping out that reality.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Tengames posted:

I honestly don't know what people even expect it to do, its a simple touchscreen. Pretty much everything you can do with it you could do with the (3)ds's 2nd screen,and has been done already. I do think the ability to play games on just the gamepad screen is awesome though and worth it alone, but that's just me.

To me, it feels like a glorified version of the GameCube - GBA connectivity. Only instead of being an optional extra, it's a big clunky necessity.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Katana Gomai posted:

The Gamepad could have been used as your rearview mirror in MK8 and that would have been awesome. Instead it's useless poo poo with the bonus effect of removing the map from the screen entirely even if you play with a different controller.

This. Like, how is "rear view mirror" not the very first thing that comes into your head for the gamepad? Nintendo does this with every single console. They come up with some spin on how to control a game and then completely half-rear end any support for it in their games. It wasn't a huge deal in the past when the gimmicky controller was always an optional accessory tacked on to an otherwise successful console.

The two times it actually worked was with the Wii motion controller and the rumble pack for the N64. The reason they worked is because every game (including third party) supported them in some meaningful way. When first party games can't even implement it in a way that feels natural and necessary, it's dead in the water.

Edit: It ends up feeling like a gimmick and the downside to that is when the gimmick doesn't pan out, people feel duped.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

The Wii U is the highest selling console in Japan. Consoles are dead there.

So, I haven't really been up to date on Japan sales and am not sure where to look for the info. When people say consoles are dead, is that because people are playing games on PC, are they playing on portable devices, or have gaming numbers just gone down?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

Watchdogs is hardly a new IP. It's Grand Theft Auto. It's a brown open world TPS. Third party titles are generally more safe and bland than first party titles.

What does this even mean? Because you don't like it and it's derivitive means that it's not a new IP?

Edit: There are really two conversations going on in the same argument. One half is arguing from a "good for the industry" videogame enthusiast perspective, and the other is arguing from a "this is how publically traded business works" perspective.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 4, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

It's a by-the-numbers entry in the most popular mass-market genre that does nothing new or different and tries its absolute hardest to blend in. It seems like a solid game and people are having a lot of fun with it, I'm not trying to knock it. But celebrating Ubisoft for bravely launching a new IP is sort of a joke. It's "new" in the sense that no one has used the title "Watch_Dogs" before.

That's the problem here. I don't think anyone was making a judgement call on how Watch Dogs elevates the bar in the quality of videogames. When talking about the problems Nintendo is facing, quality of the software isn't their issue, so arguing it is pointless.

What it does show is that it is possible to introduce something that people are not already familiar with can be successful. That's saying a lot because the general public buys poo poo that they are comfortable and familiar with. That's why EA has done what it's been doing for the past 10 years.

From a gamer perspective, yeah Watch Dogs is a flash in the pan derivitive safe game. From a business perspective, they took a risk with introducing something that no one was familiar with, and it paid off.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Chronojam posted:

The name is literally the point, "Look, it is a new Super Mario Bros" to Watch Dogs was supposed to be really revolutionary and it was a bit of a letdown after the delays and hype.

It was a letdown to YOU. You being a videogame enthusiast/nerd/adult. It wasn't, by any means, a letdown to Ubisoft or their shareholders.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 4, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nonsense posted:

You literally have no idea if they made money back on this boondoggle or not, so what the gently caress are you smoking? gently caress the shareholders.

Watch Dogs' budget has been reported as $68 million and they sold 4 million copies in the first week. That's a big budget, but if they made $20 on each copy, they turned a profit in the first week. Yves Guillemot said in May that they hope the title sells 6 million copies to match the original Assassin's Creed sales. They reached 2/3rds of the lifetime goal in the first week. I'd call that a home run for Ubisoft.

And "gently caress the shareholders" just goes to my point that there are two conversations in this thread. When you talk about the future of Nintendo, as a publicly traded company, you absolutely have to take the shareholders into count. Especially if their shares fall enough and their IP is attractive enough for a third party to attempt an acquisition. It's an absolute remote possibility at this point, but if Nintendo's management and board do not have a contingency plan, they are being foolish.

Again, it's purely hypothetical and the possibility is remote, but when you talk about a company that is not making the sales it needs and has IP as immediately recognizable and desirable as Nintendo, it's not unheard of. Talking about Watch Dogs in it's quality as a video game has no bearing on business when its total sales are approaching the total sales of a competing CONSOLE.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Didn't they do a stock buyback a little while ago? That makes it seem like they're already trying to mitigate that risk.

I didn't realize they did a stock buyback. Well, at least they have the business sense to mitigate a full out failure, but at the same time, it's pretty telling acknowledgement of poor performance.

Edit: And honestly with the real and potential value of all of their IP, they don't have an excuse for things to be bad enough to do a buyback.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

I am a dumb idiot who knows nothing about investing and financials. How does this prevent a share price collapse? Would people really see a stock buyback and then go "Yes, this is a great move that will benefit the company. I will buy this stock for more money than I otherwise would have"?

Very basically, stock buybacks lower the number of shares. Less shares = more earnings per share.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Katana Gomai posted:

Nintendo isn't going anywhere but please discuss the topic at length for another 500 pages, ta

Nintendo will continue to be a company, there's just too much brand recognition and beloved IP for that to stop. However, that does not mean that Nintendo in 5-10 years is going to look anything like the Nintendo we've all known since 1985.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Rudoku posted:

That doesn't work and you know it. I can't even load Monster Rancher 2 on a PS2...

Well, that's your fault for playing Monster Rancher in the first place. :v:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The Wii U is literally the only next gen console that's worth purchasing, and its garbage.

Yeah, I know I've been very critical of Nintendo in this thread, but this is the absolute truth. When I realized that pretty much everything comes out on Steam, and I can build a top of the line gaming PC for right around $1000, the PS4 and XBOX One look less and less appealing.

They're going to have to drop the price of the Wii U by a lot for me to jump into it any time soon, but I could see myself buying it before the PS4 or XBOX One.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

seizure later posted:

It's pretty telling how poo poo all consoles are if these days a several hundred dollar purchase is "justified" by four games maximum.

Well, as other people pointed out, PS4 and XBOX One only being a couple months old and it's pretty standard to have the first 12-18 months be pretty lean in terms of software. If this time next year, PS4 and XBOX One are still lean on titles, then there's an issue. The problem is that Wii U is at the point where it should be ramping up, and as far as anyone can tell, it's stagnating.

Edit: And the 3DS had a good past year or two, but it's starting to stagnate as well.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Also you're forgetting GOTY Hotline Miami 2 this fall.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but Hotline Miami was one of the best games I've played in recent memory.

Speaking of PC games, I'm looking forward to Shovel Knight, which is also going to be a Wii U and 3DS exclusive. Definitely smart idea for Nintendo to finally be getting into the indie/kickstarter game.

Edit:

Fame Douglas posted:

Haha, what?

Yes, I'm sure consoles are totally fine. Bad sales numbers across the board are bound to improve because I just claimed so.

XBOX One sales are meeting or exceeding XBOX 360 sales in the same time frame of launch, and XBOX 360 didn't have any other "next-gen" consoles to compete against. And XBOX One is selling at a lower rate than PS4. I think the console business is doing just fine.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 8, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Console sales are pretty much what you would expect. The X-Box One isn't underperforming because consoles are on the verge of dying, it is undeperforming because it was badly launched and overpriced compared to the competition. The PS4 had a very successful launch everything that isn't Japan, and Japan's game industry is in the toilet no matter what you're talking about. (Aside from smartphones.)

Again, XBOX One is under-performing only in direct comparison to PS4. From launch to the following end of fiscal year (fall 2005-June 30, 2006) the XBOX 360 sold 5.0 million units and it didn't have another "next-gen" console to compete against. XBOX One shipped 5.0 million units from launch to end of next quarter (Fall 2013-March 2014). I bolded shipped because they aren't direct comparisons with XBOX 360's first fiscal year being sales and not shipments.

But still, shipping in the first two quarters what you sold in the first 3 quarters of your last console is not a bad place to be in by any means, especially when you have a direct competitor that you didn't have the first time around, and that competitor is beating you.

ImpAtom posted:

If you honestly believe that the Dawn Of The PC Gaming Master Race is right around the corner, I'm not sure what to say but it's hilariously implausible. Even if the game console industry collapsed tomorrow, that isn't going to be met with a mass migration to making excellent games for PC that were being held back because of the weaker consoles. The best games on the PC these days take advantage of the fact that it is an open platform more than they do the power of the PC.

Not to mention that Steam, the undisputed owner of PC gaming sales, is getting into a pseudo-console business with Steam Boxes and the big-screen format of Steam.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Except sales have cratered hard this year, it's only a question of (a short amount of time) until Xbone will have fallen behind 360's launch-aligned numbers. A bigger launch, but not much staying power by the looks of it.

Because sales cratering after the initial launch is a totally new phenomenon.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Except they have.

What we are seeing is the exact same type of display in sales of the last generation of consoles, only at slightly higher levels in a more crowded and directly competitive market. Console sales are doing fine, they are doing what one would expect, and anyone who infers that it means the console market is slowing is ridiculous and anyone who infers that it means consoles are on their way out is downright lying.

Edit: You are either trolling, are extremely short sighted, have no clue about the history of console sales, parroting crap from someone else, and/or have no business sense whatsoever.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 8, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

PC-exclusive AAA games basically don't exist anymore. Nearly every big PC game is a console port, even PC Master Race flagships like The Witcher and Crysis are multiplatform titles now. All you have left aside from that is indies and f2p garbage, and even then the new generation of consoles were built around these.

PC gaming is literally subsidized by consoles.

I think a lot of people only spend time talking to their friends and internet communities, and get this really hosed up view that reality is what they discuss with their tiny group of people who share their interests. Nintendo fans who talk to their friends about how the recent upswing in sales means Nintendo is on fire and has never done better, PC gamers who talk to their friends about how PCs are objectively superior so the downturn in non-holiday spending means that consoles are dying, etc.

The reality is that they are an extremely small niche of consumers with a specific interest who talk among themselves in an infinite feedback loop of validation and then apply those conclusions to the millions on consumers whose buying decisions share absolutely nothing with them and their niche community. For instance, many of these people have a lot of time on their hands to talk about this stuff because they don't have children. It would never dawn on them to make decisions based on the irrational whims of your children, and it would never dawn on them that the the secondary decision after that is to make decisions based on an elementary school schedule.

People with kids who buy videogames and videogame consoles are a huge part of the consumer base, but they never cross the minds of the 20-something people with enough time on their hands to argue videogames on the internet.

Edit:

Fame Douglas posted:

This does't even warrant a serious response. Why is you claiming everything will turn out peachy when the numbers don't bear that out reasonable in any way?

Because you are categorically wrong, the numbers are absolutely fine, and in many respects better than could be expected. But you don't understand it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Plenty of PC exclusive "AAA" titles (pretty sure each DOTA 2, LoL or World of Warcraft alone are bigger than any console AAA game). But contards subsidizing my PC gaming sounds very sweet to me!

But if we're talking about flagship, maybe stuff like Arma or DayZ is worth mentioning instead of either Crysis or Witcher.

I can't tell if you're an idiot or a believable troll.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Astro7x posted:

After watching the Microsoft Press Conference, I am starting to realize that I am becoming disinterested in games where you primarily kill things.

I am so with you on this. Although, I did just have a lot of fun playing Hotline: Miami. But yeah, graphically impressive ways to kill things in first or third person are getting boring.

The Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer was the same exact game with a new veneer. Start in air transport, something goes wrong with air transport, "GO GO GO GO! DO YOU HEAR ME MAGGOT? GET OUT NOW!", jump out, land in battle, run to the cover in front of you, kill bad guys in front of that while looking down the iron sights of gun.

I've played that game in the past, present and future. I've played that game on alien worlds, in countries all over the world, islands, caves, jungles, deserts, etc. I'm loving sick of it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

That one girl annoys the hell out of me, but I definitely want that game. It's so up my alley.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Chex Quest 2: Splatoon Heroes

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
All hail Chex Warrior, the gluten-free hero of Bazoik.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

10 things Splatoon can learn from Call of Duty.

1. Make another Call of Duty game.

2. Sell it.

Thanks for the insight, dude!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Chronojam posted:

The 3DS is like five years old and is a portable so it doesn't really fit in (though it is excellent!)

IT DOES TOO!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

The GIG posted:

Musou games own and are great to relax with if you have a spare hour or two.

I prefer a ping pong ball, paddle and a brick wall.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I equate musou games with pokemon. If you like that style of game, anything they give you is good. If you don't like it, everything they give you is bad. And it's all based on a compulsive personality trait.

You can't spend 4 hours grinding and not have a compulsive personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

Nobody bought it because it is an unremarkable game. I mean at least their Korra game has an actual diverse and working fighting system instead of what bayonetta 2 has. Granted it's not like Metal gear Rising, but it's varied enough switching between stances and appears largely functional instead of cumbersome.

"The consensus is that it's not so great."

"Who said it wasn't great?"

"Nobody bought it."

There's a big difference between a consensus (a general group of opinions favoring or disliking a game) and no one buying the game (there can't be a consensus if they never played the game to begin with).

Also, lol, the Wii U sucks because nobody bought it.

• Locked thread