Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have to emphasize that this game is very friendly towards people who don't want to spend money.

If you don't spend money you lose:

-Earth, Electricity, Lantern, and Quantum powersets (that still leaves like eight powersets or something)
-Shield weapon
-Access to everything post CR-43 (which takes a long time to get to)

As well, you can only visit the Vault once a week (this doesn't really matter), your maximum cash is set to $1,500 (this also doesn't really matter), and a smaller bank (I have yet to find anything worth banking at CR 57).

If you spend ANY real world money at all, you get bumped up to $2,000, your bank increases in size, and you can visit the Vault once every three days on each character. You also get whatever you bought for DLC, of course.

DCUO stuff goes on sale on Steam for 50% off every now and then, like most games. I would bet dollars to donuts there will be a DCUO day during the summer sale, or before then.

Subscribed players get automatic access to all DLC and "promethium lockbox" drops (bonus items). At $15 a month it is a pretty expensive subscription.

Anyway, you are not really gimped at all if you don't spend money, compared to some games that rub that in your face.

Why else should I play this game?
-Animated series voice actors doing a lot of voicework, in case you hate that in most MMOs, no one really talks.

-Game is extremely casual, you won't get left behind if you don't want to devote eight hours a day to it.

-Seriously, respecs are for all intents and purposes free.

-Mix and match your clothing to create the look you want at any time, regardless of what you are actually wearing.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Actually, if you're struggling a lot with missions, just do missions that are below you in level (they become exponentially easier), or look up a guide for your power set.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

J3ng4 posted:

Also use the barrels, they are a lifesaver!

To all those worrying about weapons, just try some. Respecs are pretty much free and it's worth playing with all of them to get a good feel. You do so at the Hall of Doom next to the mailboxes. While leveling up you make sure to buy weapons from the Safe house vendors. Some of them carry just about every weapon so you can try them out.

OK real talk time: Back in the olden days this game didn't teach you jack poo poo about anything before you hit level 30. I was actually surprised last week to discover when I rolled a new guy that it makes you learn blocking and block-breaking, etc. in the opening mission now. That's a completely new section and I have no idea when they added it.

Before the revamp of the mobs (they now do combo attacks, etc.) there was really nothing you had to know 1-29 at all. Blocking was totally unnecessary, and there was exactly one duo/solo instance where barrels were actually important (that still may be the case). You really still have nothing you need to learn 1-29, the mobs just take slightly longer to kill. Life is basically "spam one power combo, then spam one weapon attack combo," at least as a fire tank. That only started to change around CR 43 for me.

The effect of this is that the game is really casual, but when you first hit 30, the alert PUGs are loving awful because no one knows how to play their role at all, everyone wants to play DPS, and the alerts start to require some amount of actual teamwork. I had many horrible Smallville runs.

Anyway, you will probably level faster if you do quests below your level. The Teen Titans/Raven solo instance was horrible at the recommended level two years ago and it's horrible today.

When you hit 30, your PVE life should basically be queuing for duos, alerts, and eventually raids using the On Duty tab. You earn marks of triumph for that, which buy you higher-tier gear (all those ridiculous-looking power armor sets in the basements of the Hall of Doom). Occasionally other stuff will drop during instances, but it's only very rarely as good as the tier collections. Also, the drops will mostly be back pieces that only healers can use, which is infuriating. You can buy a few other things with marks of triumph, including bonuses from your base.

It helps to look up a guide just so you know how you are supposed to gear for a given role (what bonuses matter). If you want to tank, you don't really want +damage if you have to make a choice between that and +defense.

I take breaks from instances to go get investigation sets (green and blue question marks) that I neglected to hunt down the first time through, maybe picking up some extra style sets and feats while I'm at it, and getting exobits during overland travel (gem ingredients, among other things).

I could also break up my time by doing races, but I kinda hate those despite that they would give me a lot of feat points. Doing all the feats you can is fairly important, since every 100 points you get a skill point, which lets you add passive bonuses once you've maxed out a weapon tree. I have 42 points, which is actually not considered many (poopsockers basically say you are mostly done when you have something like 109). Generally, my gear has been far more important than my skill points.

This keeps me busy. I do absolutely no PVP whatsoever, mostly because I don't want to spend time building that up too (PVE and PVP gear tiers are separate, which is loving dumb, honestly). I could do Legends PVP, which doesn't rely on my gear, but I generally hate playing "real" characters. If I ever finish the PVE side (hint: I will never play enough to do this before another xpack comes out) I might *start* the PVP tree.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Krakatoah posted:

Would it be possible to recreate this guy in game?

I don't know of such a head, though there might be one. The rest would be easy.

Oh, and if there's one thing that actually sucks about this game, it's that your feat/style unlocks aren't shared across characters unless it's a paid item.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Is that true of all paid items? I got the Mecha back piece like a year ago and it's only on one guy... could I put in a ticket to have it unlocked on everyone? Because that would be awesome.

I don't know, I just know that when I look on the shop they go "this item unlocks on all characters."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

doctor 7 posted:

You still limited to a laughable 3 colors total in character creation or have they upped that?

Yup, you got 3 costume colors. It's limiting in a certain sense but it sort of enforces a "super-hero" look on everyone. Most comic characters have an obvious three-color code.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Of course they never really account for accessories.

Like your weapons need to fit your color scheme, when that can be a bit silly for a gun. Or if your character has a jetpack or some other piece of technology that might not necessarily be colored to your costume.

For a long time on my main I got along using only two of my three available color slots. Black and red strikes an imposing figure.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't know what's going on with goon leagues on Hero side (probably next to nothing), but I am the only one logged on for the evil league (Goonlimited) way, way too often. So if you are evil and not leagued, find me (Blutkrieg) or someone else in Goonlimited and ask for an invite. In fact, just roll a villain, the Watchtower is annoying and Oracle is even more annoying.

I would like to have enough people on that when I ask who wants to do instances, I don't just get dead air.

The drawback to rolling villain is: Almost every high-level instance was clearly written with heroes in mind, with a shoe-horned in excuse for villain groups to do the same thing. So as a villain you will spend a lot of time fighting Doomsday in Smallville, recapturing Gorilla Grodd, and other stuff that doesn't make sense on a lore basis. Beyond that, it doesn't matter at all.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Ooooooo yeah is there. If you are a semi-competent healer you're gold in Alerts/Raids. You can pretty much be the difference between "we did it" and "gently caress, we keep wiping on this boss". (This is not to say it's a guaranteed lock with a good healer, but if you have a passable group, keeping them all alive long enough will win more often than not.)

Man I couldn't get enough last night of getting a team of one DPS and two controllers (neither of which generated power), or even three DPS. In some pretty high-level instances, too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TLM posted:

I have a Sorc Healer on the Hero side, but if a good chunk of peeps are playing Villain I can roll a new dude.

How are Elec and Nature healing? I can also just make another Sorc guy if they are the best.

Electric is supposed to be really good. I rarely see Nature characters in general, probably because the power effects look stupid.

We discovered last night that the best way to self-troll is to keep duel mode active during instances. Someone will either intentionally or accidentally start a duel with me during a fight.

This led to goon Fartulence challenging me to a duel just as Vice came out during the Sciencell instance. Cue us duking it out while Vice barfed blood on us.

After that point we had to rely on charity so that Fartulence could un-break all of his equipment. It was a long night.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have a CR 60 fire tank.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Darth Freddy posted:

Any on villain side right now that can invite? Been trying to get into the league for a bit. In as the fire tank Manosdefierro

I will log shortly and do some invites. People who want in should message Blutkrieg.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Also, if anyone in the league wants to visit Krieghaus, use the vending machine, and maybe inspect the torture chamber, it's just south of Amusement Mile in Gotham, enshrouded in Scarecrow's terrifying fart gas.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am online for a while today (Blutkrieg). Message me to get into the villain league. Why am I constantly the only one on? gently caress.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The incompetence of some of the players in this game is astounding (somewhat owing to the game not really teaching you anything). Yesterday I was in a group with a controller who never built power and a healer who never healed. Their response? "Go DPS!" This made Ace Chemicals, a fairly easy alert, go on interminably. The last time I played Ace Chemicals, Chemo got literally 1 barrel back total during the boss fight. This time he got about 39.

I've gotten a bit into world/arena PVP and am finding that yes, it's either about ruthlessly terrorizing lowbie characters or being geared. I have actually had several situations where I get into a scrap with another 30 who is guarding a lowbie leveling area, only for him to grow bored and fly away when we discovered we couldn't really hurt each other.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Vault is the real killer there, holy poo poo. I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE GORILLATECH HELMETS EVER. At least collections can be resold for a couple of bucks to people too lazy to look for their own. Toss anything up for 100-200 and it's almost a guaranteed sell.

Anyone who pays for collections instead of trawling over the city for the millionth time is the real winner.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I just do a run once a month or so for exobits, and grab collectables while I'm at it. Not really that hard if you're doing one of the two already. Hell, the yellow orbs are easier to pick out than the tiny glowing dots that don't always load in for you to see them.

I get collections I already have about 75% of the time in Gotham and I am exobit farming pretty consistently. Doing this all over again on an alt would be a loving nightmare.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"Heroes" are stupid and I will decapitate them with the badge of my office, Blutkrieg's unbreakable Shield of the Fourth Reich.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The goons who were around when the devs decided to have trash mobs start doing combo moves can certainly tell you that the DCUO forum crowd is no better than that of any other MMO board, and they would probably have a few choice things to say about the devs, too. I don't think the change made much difference in the overall game in the end, even though the intent was to make the game a little more challenging and not let you sleep through the game's combat system.

This kind of ignores a couple things:

1) Giving, for instance, villains a harder time fighting rookie cops is an annoying and slightly comical experience. Now there are police at every level in the force that do backflips with their batons and John Woo slides with their pistols, as well as escaped Lexcorps psychopaths who also know how to do backflips.

2) You very rarely feel super-powered in this game. Unless you are over-leveled or a tank, you cannot really handle more than 2-3 mobs of your CR very easily at any level of play. You have to be really over-geared if you're not a DPS to just shove overworld trash mobs out of your path without at least a short fight.

I'm running a character who has picked fights with Doomsday, Power Girl, Superman, Supergirl, all of the different Lantern groups at once, Batman, and Robobatman, to name a few. I foil another scheme by Brainiac--essentially the Dark God of Pure Intellect--hourly. At some point I should just be able to scare away the Gotham PD so that they don't even aggro on me, like low-level mobs in WoW.

"But no," say the devs and a bunch of poopsockers who would be offended if the game ever became easier or more convenient in any way whatsoever. I think some of the things that got said during that whole debacle made at least a couple of goons quit the game.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have yet to find a PUG that can handle any of the FoS alert/raid content beyond maybe Super Girl. The other day I had a Batcave raid that couldn't handle the Zeta miniboss even though most of us were way over-geared for it. Why? Because they weren't intelligent enough to attack the healer trash mobs, even after being told about 20 times. It was me and one other person attacking them most of the time, so it took us five times as long as necessary to kill it. Brother Eye was a total loving disaster, naturally.

People get so used to just doing their attack combo and going on autopilot that they can't handle any combat that requires them to think. I often join PUGs that can't handle the T1 version of the first boss in the moonbase because he has an autokill bubble attack. That being the case, FoS is totally impossible for these people. 1-2 people always leave after every wipe, too, so if you want to run an FoS pickup group you may want to block out two hours.

Essentially we need to get serious about gooning up the endgame alerts/raids. The micro in this game is generally not hard at all, people flabbergast me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

For reference, the Zeta robot boss is the one where it flashes "HEALER TRASH MOBS INCOMING" on the screen every time they show up. This was too complex for the group to grasp. Meanwhile, some people were not even attacking the boss, but instead his other worthless adds.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Looks like yellow energy weapons went up today.

Also blue.

One step closer to playable red and blue lanterns, I guess.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fuzz posted:

His gear is poo poo, but that's because he's still only level 22 and has all sorts of badly mismatched gear from questing, but even then his damage is pretty solid. Mainly waiting to get to 30 and then I'm just going to sit in Gotham and get a full set of that Battle for Earth gear from Brainiac constructs so he can get into Duos and Alerts and crap... thinking I might stick to Ice DPS, it's really drat fun and quite good.

Ice tanking by the way is considered easy mode tanking.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Omnikin posted:

Well money isn't exactly bursting out of my wallet right now so I'm looking to take it slow and pick up one DLC pack at a time. Is Fight for the Light a good start?

If you are not at the content yet, it's not much good to buy any of it unless you really want to play with a shield or a new powerset. It also goes on Steam sales from time to time.

All of the newer powersets seem to be at least slightly better than the old ones though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Steam client has been unable to launch for about a month for me, I launch from outside Steam now using the downloader on the site.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 22, 2013

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So anyone who has run an instance with me more than once knows that I typically change my entire look up on Blutkrieg about twice a week.

This week it's Red Skull meets Captain Planet villain. Why am I wearing power armor? Obviously so I can do this whenever I move:

Also, crab-claw-of-death dual weapon style thanks to the Aegis of Azerath hands, which like most Magic sets is one of the better-looking in the game.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rabidredneck posted:

I just started this yesterday, just felt like taking a break from STO. It's interesting so far but I have one major gripe.

HOW IN THE BLOODY HELL DO I SHUT UP GOLD FARMER ADS!?

They were popping up while running around in Metropolis, but when I made it to legion of doom headquarters, my god. Ads were being spammed CONSTANTLY and on multiple chat channels, by one bot just standing there. I couldn't find any way to report it, or ignore it. In STO it's easy, just clike on the name in the chat channel and hit report, bang. Reported and ignored in one go, I couldn't find a way to do it in this game. Hints please?

I basically have all of global chat on ignore.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kortel posted:

Why is the Aquaman (event) fight so hard for people to figure out? When he jumps in the middle hit the security node things. Rinse repeat between room clearings.
WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR PEOPLE?!

quote:

The other day I had a Batcave raid that couldn't handle the Zeta miniboss even though most of us were way over-geared for it. Why? Because they weren't intelligent enough to attack the healer trash mobs, even after being told about 20 times. It was me and one other person attacking them most of the time, so it took us five times as long as necessary to kill it.

For reference, the Zeta robot boss is the one where it flashes "HEALER TRASH MOBS INCOMING" on the screen every time they show up. This was too complex for the group to grasp. Meanwhile, some people were not even attacking the boss, but instead his other worthless adds.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ganash posted:

The money on PS3 is a non issue, I have 1.2 mil and I am poor. I never looked at the mark cost though does it really cost that much? drat those guys are crazy or seriously have no life.

I've never really used the AH ever so I think the most I've ever had on my main is 60k.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I AM BRAWW posted:

How's this game doing? I played it a while back, got to level 30 within a week with a buddy. Really enjoyed it, but ended up getting banned for swearing at my buddy (unseriously) in a private instance in private messages :catstare:. Basically SOE are cunts, but is the game still alive/fun ?

It's proven impossible to organize goons on this the way goons do for other MMOs, but the game is pretty good. I'm on an extended break due to the steam sale and being tired of wiping on every Fortess of Solitude PUG.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Back in the last thread you were considered a pleb if you didn't take acrobatics for various mechanical reasons, but really after playing a flight character so long, I feel constrained in any other movement mode.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

The big problem is that the "free" endgame content is some of the worst in the game. God help anyone who's excited to be level 30 and then has to run Kahndaq.

What, you don't like taking an hour to plug the aqueducts for [raisins]?

I think one of the problems with instanced content in this game is that it unlocks way too early. If you do most of the endgame raids as soon as they become available you will be a total drag on the team. Another 10 points of CR and suddenly you can finish the content in a sane amount of time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, no, I get that, what I meant is I am getting terrible WoW GearScore-era vibes. "We don't want you in this cr60 raid unless you're in cr75 gear" type ones.

Of course since coming back I've only made it to 19 so maybe I'm letting my previous MMO experience bring out the paranoid in me. :tinfoil:

These people are in every MMO, really. Also I would say a lot of raid content only becomes truly possible when the average CR of the group is well above the minimum allowed, which is before we get into speed-running. A lot of it especially seems predicated on having a really high-level DPS to get it done with the most ease.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fuzz posted:

We need to consolidate on PC and actually get real goon groups going. I'm going to talk to my buddy so we WILL have a Mumble channel available to use for voicechat.

What Leagues are all you people in on PC (sorry PS3 people) and how active are they, and more importantly would they be willing to basically merge with those of us left in Goonlimited so we all are in the same league and can actually do awesome poo poo?

Let's get serious, because I want to do some T4 poo poo.

All right, just on account of your post I will re-install.

. . . But I am on vacation for two weeks. Like actual vacation, not lay around at home and stomp robot butt vacation.

Blutkrieg will walk among you again.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

None of this fixes having to listen to the ultimate boy scout, a lunatic with bat ears and yet somehow no sense of humor, and Wheels McOne Bad Day. Stuff 'em all. Our base is better, our faction leaders are better, and no one can say we don't like a challenge when we confront humanity's self-appointed god and his army of naive bedwetter toadies.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mastajake posted:

I don't see any reason to just pick one side. If you have a character on both then you're ready to jump in to any group.

I definitely like the villain content better, but the hero stuff is pretty cool too.

A solid 80-90% of the content is identical regardless of faction, to the point that villains go to instances to attack other villains.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Sounds like an argument for playing heroes then. :downs:

Real talk, I cannot handle listening to Oracle for even 10 levels. They are finally working on segregated endgame content, too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WarLocke posted:

This is news to me. Can you exposit a bit?

Apparently the tier 5 is stuff different? I am CR 62 so I am not exactly there yet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Egghhh the best weapon in Blutkrieg's inventory is a shield but I really hate how the shield plays, I feel like if I'm not at range throwing it like a disc that there's just no rhythm or style to it. Staff is way more fun and easier to spam stuns with, and better for my Nazi sorcerer gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Villains might do a little better on PVP servers just because there are so many bored players hanging out in the overworld.

• Locked thread