Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Back when the pilot aired, I posted to a cartoon newsgroup on usenet inquiring about whether or not it had been picked up, nobody knew. And now it is the far-flung year of 2015 and this is still a thing and who even knows what usenet is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"full frontal nudity (DVD version only)(Dicks only)"

new thread subtitle.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Latest season and Gargantua 2 popped up on Hulu+. Binge rewatch!

it's been a long time since I watched the whole series, so I've been running straight through from the start. hulu really needs to play a wider variety of commercials. I really want to strangle country music insurance salesman guy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
which of the guys is it that has an encyclopedic knowledge of various kinds of fabrics?

Osiris Cultist: Ooohhh. Fill the Jackal’s head with OIL. Now it makes sense. At first I thought you said scalding hot voile.
Osiris High Priest: Wh-What the hell is voile?
Osiris Cultist: It’s a soft, sheer fabric. I warmed some up in the dryer.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Think Tank is great, though I may be biased in thinking this as the Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing is my fetish object and role model.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
haha, I just cancelled my preorder the other day. good timing on my part.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Omnomnomnivore posted:

This thread needs to talk more about the fact that the president of the United States acquired the Orb yesterday.

https://twitter.com/jacksonpublick/status/866715951126859776

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
2003 folks. this show started in the year of our Lord 2003...

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
holy poo poo, the book is actually coming out.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
best season yet. the Venture Bros. will return...

X_Toad posted:

What would he look like? Not to be mean to Publick, but Hammer got all the striking physical features : near unhealthy thinness (he kind of reminds me of Dean in that regard), fully depilated by nature and he's even got the weird streak of blond hair among the black.

speaking of Doc's striking physical features, if you want to see Doc with no clothes on but a strategically placed guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPy_NGB635E

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

wizzardstaff posted:

Not pictured: a person inside a giant hookah, surrounded by partygoers partaking in “essence of man”.

Also not pictured: the mad scientist Duran Duran’s orgasmic torture chamber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX2hTObHfxM

Peeny Cheez posted:

He has a long-standing feud with Voltaire, so I imagine something moderately gothy.

the band is called Weep, some songs are on youtube. his record label is Projekt which is like the gothy label.

I still want to know how they got Jarboe to do a voice way back when.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I immediately thought of this in terms of arching.

checks out

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 8, 2018

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

TerminalRaptor posted:

It was implied that he was a Guild member. It wouldn't surprise me if he was kicked out after he and the others tried to form their own thing. This thread is making me wonder if he's involved with the Peril Partnership pushing into Guild territory.

Is there a reason they stopped using his character so much? I liked him.

feel like I read an interview or something where the guys said they're just sick of writing for him or they can't think of anything they want to do with the character.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

And continuing the rewatch, I'm now onto Eeny, Meeny, Miney... Magic, the episode that introduces us to Doctor Orpheus, and is in my opinion the point where the show really starts hitting it's stride, and is overall a really good episode outside of some awkward bits with Dean, and while funny the whole "heart of a forsaken child" bit really feels out of place with how Rusty's character is later developed, my personal guess has always been that Rusty didn't intend to use such a thing originally, but when circumstances led to him having one on hand he couldn't see a reason not to use it in a sort of Super Science version of "want not, waste not"

Also the OPEN!!!!! bit is still in my opinion one of the funniest things the show has ever done

yeah, agree, the whole "an...orphan?" exchange is one of the first really funny bits I remember from the first season. and Orpheus is a great character.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Major Tom's screaming skull suddenly landing on Doc and then an immediate cut to credits, classic.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

tarlibone posted:

What? I didn't notice that! Better slide in the ol' Blu-Ray....

the Scooby Doo guys are in there too.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I like the use of the name Dracula as an eponym.

"thirstier than a sack full of Draculas."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

I just watched the last season and a bit of Metalocaylypse and I was looking at the wiki looking at the guest stars apparently James Urbanik was in at least one episode. I don't remember that at all.

he's a masturbation "expert" who gets called in to comment when Deathklok is forbidden from jerking it because it's giving them carpal tunnel.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"I'm wringing my hands...menacingly!"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"Finally someone who understands that serration is only good for bread."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

pablo gbscobar posted:

This line has been stuck in my head for years, and pops up pretty much every time I slice bread. I completely lost my poo poo when they called back to it in S5, I had no idea that it stuck out for other people.

I can hear it with perfect crystalline clarity in my head. it's up there with "my name is mr. burns, I believe you have a letter for me" in my personal mental archive.

moxie and gin is good.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
whoah, that's a lot of new posts in the VB thread, did they announce the next season or.....

oh

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

WAIT THAT WAS REAL? :psyboom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il5snidcnHc

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's not just that he knows who Henry Darger is, but that he reacts with that so quickly and instinctively. Like Henry Darger had to be somewhere near the forefront of his mind in order to just spit that out. It's great.

you just know he's got a room where the walls are just plastered with collages of a most questionable nature.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

yeah, come on, how could anyone skip this one. floyd hole :hmbol:

plus it's where you learn Dean's namesake.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

I actually tried to find his music a few weeks ago because I realized I'd never listened to it. I genuinely could not find it outside of a CD on Amazon.

e: and of course the only song I even recognize on the cover album is the goofy comic book meta-fictional one from the 60s. No wonder I'm such a VB dweeb.

there's a bunch of Weep stuff on youtube. also the old goth bands he was in with his then wife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st-SokCzkw4

thanks for posting that bandcamp link. brave thing to try to cover Cocteau Twins. I think he did good.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Johnny Quest and Scooby Doo, all that poo poo got played as reruns when I was a kid. comic books are eternal. I get all the music refs because I have the musical taste of a goth 15 years older than me.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why do I get the feeling a good chunk of 'working on the show' is 'having conversations about random poo poo and writing it down for later'.

that's exactly what it is. how many yaz albums do you have on this thing?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I bet Doc is totally the kind of music dork who would look down on you for having a "best of" record on your phone.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Daikloktos posted:

Surprising music fact from the book: That "Ding-a ding-a round one" song that ends the penultimate episode of Season 6, Party at Tarzan's, is a canned studio track and not a real song they dug up which you'd somehow never heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZSkkP0hoqU

yeah, a company that makes music specifically meant to be licensed out for shows, movies. fun song.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i gently caress it theez feesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfoIdZ1osBc&t=3s

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i fuckin hope they get to end things properly. if it just never comes back i want adult swim's head in a bag.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Servaetes posted:

Yeah I'm not ready to call the sky falling yet but if it's true that really really sucks. Hopefully its just a stupid tweet by some generic blue check guy

Ken Plume was the guy who put together that massive Venture Bros encyclopedia, Go Team Venture!. he Knows Things.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
one fuckin more season and they could have tied a bow on it. gently caress this.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
been watching this dumb show for like half my life. god.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i do wonder how long ago they would have been cancelled if they didn't have Mike Lazzo shielding them all this time.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1303124052924485632?s=20

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
first time i talked to online people about this show it was on loving usenet. where does the time go...

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i won't speak ill of birdman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AoPpfmJK3Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Nilbop posted:

Okay I'm clearly out of the loop on something significant here. What happened?

Michael Sinterniklaas, the actor for Dean, had a bunch of people accusing him of being a sex pest on social media.