Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Living Totem will be amazing to grab in limited, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

Man, we are so close to Alpha. My day one goal is going to be breaking Eye of Creation.

I'm right there with you buddy! Perhaps I should make a guild for us high-rollers, the 500+ Club. :chord:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

What a Judas posted:

Do we know if this Alpha is going to have a wipe at some point, or will it be like SolForge's ongoing Beta where you get your Kickstarter benefits and can buy more packs etc etc etc and you keep them?

I ask because I want to start farming Lotuses right away, every day, nonstop, forever.

It's already been stated that there will be a wipe between Alpha -> Beta, and that there will be some sort of soft reset during Beta before KS rewards go out.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I woke up early because I couldn't sleep in anticipation of playing this. I can't wait for invites to go out! :circlefap:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

Shame I didn't get one, I could be playing that right now instead of half watching the stream.
Alpha Access should be for 4PM PST now, it seems. I guess at least we have a timeframe.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Zurai posted:

^^^ Pretty sure it just reverses a transformation and doesn't affect permanent attack/defense/cost/text changes.

It means to change a troop that's transformed back to its original form. For example, if you reverted the troop which was previously the target of Polymorph: Dingler, it would return to whatever it used to be.

A quick dig on the forums shows that Revert means "remove all modifications to a card (positive or negative)" and has nothing to do with small number of cards that transform.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

Is Spellshield Hexproof or Shroud?

Hexproof. :(

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

Wow, so they made an invisible stalker for 1 less. Seems loose.

EDIT: Also, while looking at the spoiler, I'm a big fan of the art style on Mutate and Shroomtank. Are the cards going to get art credits?
Well, except it's not unblockable as well.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

BenRGamer posted:

If I'm not mistaken, the two cooler cards for milling aren't gonna be in yet it looks like, the booby trap and the insta-win ones, I mean.

The thing that puts Booby Traps into your opponent's deck was in the spoiler somewhere.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I hope that means they're in the process of sending them out since I'm a GK with nothing yet. :(

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Grim posted:

Got my invite, but I also just started work :argh: At least I can pop home during lunch to start the client download

This is why I love being management. Hex invite came in? "Hey guys, I'm going out for a bit -" so that I can start patching Hex to play when I get home in an hour. :getin:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Yea. Started the download, went back to work, came home a couple hours later... Still going hard. :suicide:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Alternatively, not have a completely public link. The people who can actually get into the alpha tonight will be delayed by the thousands of people who are simply pre-loading for days down the road.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Captain Capitalism posted:

I agree that having public downloading was not the best plan. I know that they kind of rushed this out there so people could get in, I hope this doesn't hurt the overall image. I'm afraid that the people who are most vocal will get in, realize it's an alpha and go "I waited hours for THAT?"

I'm trying to think of ways to speed this up...can we just put the files on your computer? If so, maybe we can set up a file system to share out the files, but would that be :filez:?
Yep. I'm just waiting for the masses to start complaining about crashes/bugs because they expect a polished game they can play right now "BECAUSE I SPENT MONEY IT" without realizing that it's actually an alpha product we are testing and that we received such a privilege by investing in this. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a bunch of spergs get mad at unfinished product that is advertised as unfinished product.

Also no idea, but I'm up to 70% after 3 hours, so... Yay? :shrug:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

7-ish hours in and I'm at like 95%.

Yay.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Korak posted:

Are you streaming?
An hour later and I'm at 96%!

And I hadn't planned on streaming, but I could look into it. For what it's worth, I'll only be playing tonight and tomorrow. :(

E: 96.7%, to be fair.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

gently caress these assholes who are delaying their own access to the alpha. I just got home and I'm at 71% here. Thankfully my wife was good enough to start this download 7 hours ago for me.

Honestly, the people doing it are not the people are worried about testing an alpha product, but the snivelling sperglords who are expecting a polished gem as soon as they can download a client. I have a group of friends who all backed Hex (though none at GK like me), and despite them knowing I have a DL link [which I wouldn't pass on], they're not asking because they know they'll get their turn and that delays in testing mean delays in them getting to test.

There's folks out there who aren't assholes, but we've got an over-abundance of the opposite when it comes to stuff like this. And I know this comes across a little pious, but it's because I recognize that every delay in testing has a downstream effect. Delays today, mean delays tomorrow, and so forth, and it just annoys me that a little patience would go a long way. :sigh:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Grim posted:

I had to restart my computer and now it's just been stuck at retrying filelist.txt :negative:
I had this problem arise when I went to do my first install repairs. Closing the patcher and re-opening it managed to purge the problem. If it continues to be a hassle, check the alpha forums. Amid the mass of complaints similar to the ones you'll see here, there's some actual useful advice in a few threads, if you're willing to wade through the muck.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Dwarven "Affinity" has been working pretty insanely well. All-Star cards I didn't think would matter: Worker Bot Assembly and Research Librarian. All-Star cards I knew would matter: Pterobot, Volcannon.

I had one game where T6 I had Cannon ready to zap for 9 a turn, thanks to an opening hand with double Worker Bot Assembly, a pair of Charge Bots, and Research Librarian. Coupled with the Worker Bot charge power, I massed an army of dudes that just manned the cannons.

E: In addition to big zaps, I had two Librarians out that were drawing me a card a turn each for 0 which was also pretty stupid.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

So, either this is a bug or people are scooping as soon as I play a T1 Ancestor's Chosen.

Has anyone figured out how to change champs?

When you're in the build a deck screen, there is a black rectangle at the bottom of where a champion portait would be. Click it, select a champion. Took me awhile to figure it out.

e; fb.

GaistHeidegger posted:

Mind linking to or busting out your deck list? This sounds like a really fun deck.

Dwarven Affinity v1.0

//Troops
4 Charge Bot
4 Pterobot
4 Technical Genius
4 Research Adept
4 Research Librarian
2 Flock of Seagulls

//Actions
2 Time Ripple
4 Oracle Song

//Non-Troop Artifacts
4 Sapper Charge
3 Volcannon
4 Worker Bot Factory

//Resources
21 Sapphire Shard

Initial thoughts on the deck, category by category:
Troops: Research Librarian has definitely far and away been the all-star troop, netting tons of card advantage. Even paying 3 to draw 1 when you've got no other reasonable outs is strong. Charge Bots are amazing at helping you flood the board with little artifacts, and as long as your opponent isn't playing Heat Wave you'll have no trouble sticking them (unless you need to block). Flock of Seagulls has been an all-star blocker when I've needed him, but I'll avoid playing him over other stuff if I don't need meat. Research Adept, overall, feels like it under-performs. A 2/3 cycler for 4 just isn't that great.

Likely changes: -4 Research Adept, +1-2 Flock of Seagulls,

Actions: Time Ripple has performed WAY better than I thought it would in this deck. Since you need a few turns to assemble your guys, it can definitely provide a great amount of stopping power. Unsummon for 3 with huge upside (the tempo loss of +1 cost has helped win games) was way better than I thought it would be. Oracle Song is just Divination and that's all it needs to be. Since, depending on your initial draw, you can dump a good chunk of your hand in the first few turns, having this is a great way to start refilling.
*Time Ripple might just get completely replaced by Countermagic once it's available. That being said, since a lot of our combo pieces are artifacts and troops we want out early, we're likely not keeping up countermagic resources.

Likely changes: +2 Time Ripple

Non-Troop Artifacts: Sapper Charge is a great utility card. I was originally using Goblin Cooking Pot since it's cheaper to activate, but the optional troop removal on Charge has been a stronger performer. Worker Bot Factory has been absolutely insane. In any game where I draw more than one, I'm able to punch out tons of drones - drawing three of them one turn was absolute overkill. Volcannon is an amazing way to turn a stalled board into an instant win. Heck, I've been letting aggro decks punch me with 1+ power dudes without trading since dropping Cannon can instantly become lethal damage if you untap with it (let alone you can often spike for 9+ the turn you play it). Because it's one of your win conditions (the other being early flying pterobots), you definitely want to draw it and I've found 3 is the magic number.

Likely changes: n/a - until War Hulk Construction Plans: War Hulk get fixed.

There are't a lot of draws you CAN'T keep with this deck (I just won a round keeping Sapphire x 3, Oracle Song x 2, Worker Bot Factory, Sapper Charge), since drawing cards that aren't combo pieces/assist pieces means you're drawing cards that dig you into your deck or keep guys off the board.

For kicks, I'm trying out a round right now with -4 Research Adept, +2 Time Ripple, +2 Argus.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

For those waiting on next wave. I imagine it's going to be awhile. The game isn't stable enough to be regularly playable right now. 80%+ of my games end when neither played can pass priority and spacebar is doing nothing. After we get past that issue, maybe we can get a better idea of other problems, but that one is really preventing me from finding other bugs.
It doesn't even seem to be caused by something specific. I've had about as many games played to completion as games ended prematurely due to the priority bug. Heck, I've had the priority bug kick in after selecting whether to keep or draw a new hand.

Sadly, didn't get to actually play a game with Argus in my deck - two crashes in a row, and now it looks like servers are down or not functioning proper. I'll be back monday for more!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

King Burgundy posted:

This is a pretty fun deck concept to play around with so far. Thanks for posting it. :) I don't like the deck building interface very much, so it was nice to have something to run with, with minor tweaks.

Also, my games today so far have gone without a hitch, which is way better than yesterday. It's definitely a very fun game, even in this very alpha state.

Gearsmith release down the road will help this deck out loads, too.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Captain Capitalism posted:

One question I have been meaning to ask is how their stack works. I did notice in one case where a Ruby Aura was cast on a creature, I bounced it and it returned to hand, but the opponent was actually able to play it right away, before the aura had resolved. Even funnier, the aura still resolved on the creature, giving it +1/+0. I guess in this game memory issues aren't really a thing, but I'm not sure if it's a bug that he was able to cast the creature with things on the stack or that's intended play.
I know, specifically, artifact troops can be played as long as ~something~ is on the stack.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

Until I see stronger evidence to the contrary, I'm going to continue to assume that mill is not a competitive plan and that it'll be limited to casual games.

Actually there's already an infinite mill combo available in diamond/sapphire based on spoiled cards! :ssh:

E: And since it's in two strong control colors you should be able to put your board pieces together.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

It still matters a lot how easy the combo is to assemble and how good the rest of the strategies are. In Magic (Legacy specifically), painted stone is an incredibly powerful 2 card mill combo, but it still very rarely get's played - Legacy is my primary format and I've never personally paired someone playing it in a tournament, just in casual play/practice. Maybe it will be good, but I want to see the deck in action before I really consider it a concern. Meanwhile, I have a very good idea of how good it is to draw live for the rest of the game and you're doing it while putting in a body that isn't that far below the curve to boot.
I'm all too familiar with MtG Legacy shenanigans, but the thing you're forgetting in your comparison, which is easy to overlook since we see Hex as an MtG clone, is that all the cards we've seen from Hex set 1 ARE our legacy equivalent.

For what's it's worth, the combo does lean on transforming Ascetic Initiate twice into The Transcended. Alongside Archmage Wrenlock and Dream Dance, you get to cast Chronic Madness as many times as you want. It should also be noted that Archmage Wrenlocke does have the upside of making all your spells cycle which is super handy for keeping a grip close to 7 in order to get quick transformations done.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Karnegal posted:

Oh, I get that the card pool certainly isn't as deep, but I'm very dubious of mill as a strategy until I see hard evidence otherwise. Like in Magic, it has the same problem of not effecting the gamestate, so everything you do up to your kill has no real impact on your opponent. The Legacy deck that I'm talking about (Painted Stone), works because it is a 2 card combo that eats your opponent's entire deck. Similarly Rest in peace and Helm of Obedience gets shoehorned into the Miracles deck because it is also a 2 card kill that you can tutor either half up with a 1 mana instant. In the case of Hex, it strikes me that mill is not this straightforward, but rather a bit durdly.

I'm familiar with painted stone (having built it once to annoy my friends :ssh:). But I think in a game whose PvP format is going to be a bit slower/durdlier simply due to the limited pool, using a strong control shell to prepare for an infinite combo isn't that farfetched. Don't get me wrong, though, while I think infinite mill via combo might be playable, plain old "cast spells, mill dudes" is no more viable here than it's been in magic.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Blinkman987 posted:

Edit: Oh, yeah, and people are apprehensive about Demented Demolisher, which I can understand, but I demolished all those decks this evening by playing 1-cost ruby dorks over and over again. =)

Yeah I modded my Demented deck pretty quick to compensate for aggro strategies, once I found them I be problematic. Extinctions and some Heat Waves take care of pretty much everything that can can be an issue while you set up. There's only ~40 resources in the deck in running now, but with Gozzog to give you an artificially inflated life total and secret labs to dig for solutions to any issues it hasn't lost that many matchups.

My weird dwarven artifact deck on the other hand still needs a couple cards to exist before it'll be great, since right now bad draws can be really bad.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

So... Anyone know what "Zone Reckoning" is? I'm assuming something to do with login servers, since the error I receive when trying to log on is that I'm currently there already.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Blinkman987 posted:

What does everybody think of the triggered effects not going on the chain? In what I've read, it seems the biggest hangup is players perceive of situations where, if triggered effects went on the chain, there are games that they were able to win that they otherwise would've lost. They don't really consider that there are probably an equal amount of games that they'll play that they'll win because triggered effects don't go on the chain, and both players will make decisions with the rules in mind. People also, in general, dislike change.

I feel like it's a fundamental change that can affect the balance of power certain cards carry. As mentioned, being able to respond to some triggers with removal is extremely valid, and can make holding onto the right removal card that much more important. Losing this definitely removes complexity from the game, and I can't say I'm altogether supportive of it.

Is there some sort of problem setting up auto-yields to certain triggers so that, with triggers like on Mountain God, each player can simply allow the game to automatically resolve the trigger with no response (so it ignores the passing of priority). I know that you see this kind of thing right from kitchen table to professional magic (the most comparable analogue), and it seems like it wouldn't be difficult to implement.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Paper Triangle posted:

Thanks, glad to know it's a known issue. My cursory attempt at googling it didn't turn up much. I put in a ticket, so hopefully I can play this soon.
Friend of mine ran into a similar issue. I recommended him opening a support ticket and he had his invite within a half-day.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

On my phone, so someone please add me on the doc. Same name as here.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Vincent Valentine posted:

P.s.: Does anyone have some suggestions for a good monoblue artifact+dwarf deck?
Don't play it, since after the changes to several key pieces it's pretty much just garbage.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

It just doesn't get going fast enough, though. Prior to a multitude of changes, you could spam bots with factories and cheat out affinity guys quickly to try and get ahead (you still lost to heat wave/extinction). Now you roll out slow, affinity is weaker since it only applies to artifact creatures, and you still have the bulk of weaknesses you had before.

Also, Slaughtergear is a PvE card - not sure if that matters in the tournament, but it takes away one of the few legs the deck stands on right now as is.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

There's some really neat bugs with Bun'jitsu's aboms, too. Sometimes removing one from the board will cause the other to die when your opponent untaps! :downs:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Vincent Valentine posted:

Gas Troll ain't got no business bein' as strong as he is.

Is he still getting +1/+1 from playing Ruby resources?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Blazing Zero posted:

I feel like this game has too much speed in it. Three or four turns and it's clear who is going to win with little room for momentum swings. I'm hoping limited will slow it down, but constructed is turning me right off even more so than constructed in MTG or other games.

It's just because the constructed pool is small right now. Once we get another set into the mix constructed will be a bit better, but I know exactly how you're feeling right now.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I'm thinking that's where threshold will go now. The 2 bubbles just being the amount they put on the generic demo frame.

Nah, you can see little gemmed out sockets on the left hand side of the frame where threshold will go. The double-bubbles are probably socket-related.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I played through a sealed tournament yesterday with no issue. :shrug:

I know earlier this week I ended up failing to complete one (disconnect/reconnect issues), but it's still an alpha product so I'm expecting it. I was just sad the DC/RC issue happened when my pool had Slaughtergear and a ton of good, playable artifacts (3 x 3 drop socketable, 2 x worker bot station, for example) and I never got to run it out. Oh well. :(

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Zurai posted:

I had an amazing sealed deck a week or two ago with Slaughtergear, Droo's Unstoppable Walker, Worker Bot Factory, the artifact that taps to give a robot +1/+1, two Pterobots, and a ton of blue dwarves. Ran a mono-blue/artifact deck and actually managed to not get any failed starts. One of the few times I have run a blue deck without using Feather Drifting Downriver as my champion (4 charges to give a creature permanent flight). Used the one that gave out worker bots instead.

I also had the Walker in my pool. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Just got 2 x Sliver of the Immortal Spear and tons of life-gain/stall tactics in my sealed pool; gonna go for it. :getin:

E: First game I draw 2 resources and both Spears. GETTING THERE.

E2: Spears get on the board. Soul Marble -> Soul Armaments happens. I get a complete board lock happening, opponent has 0 cards and is living on top-decks; I've got cards in hand, a comfortable life-total, and am about to drop Secret Lab to start rifling through my deck faster to assemble an array of pointy sticks.

This of course means it's time for the game to get stuck on priority. No problem! I'll just disconnect and reconnect, right? No option to rejoin/reconnect to my game appears, and I can only idle in the lobby while contemplating dropping. :sigh:

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 22, 2014

• Locked thread