Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If your king is a huge pussy who consistently "leads from the rear" you should probably get some penalty for that. Perhaps a "Huge Pussy" trait, with -10 opinion with all non-pussies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Roland Jones posted:

Alright, I've become empress of Persia. How many kingdoms can I hold as an empress/emperor without pissing my vassals off? Two, like duchies as a king?

Also, is there a way to choose to plot specific title revocations or are you stuck with whatever the list gives you? My demense increased so I want the last province in the second duchy I control, but the guy there isn't a traitor and I don't feel like murdering him and his three kids for one piece of land.

You could try pissing him off, eventually he'll plot against you and you'll have free cause to arrest him and revoke one of his titles. Make him the court jester, repeatedly assign him to council and then fire him again, whatever it takes to make him hate you. Afterwards he'll probably hate you for the rest of his life, but his kids won't.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bold Robot posted:

Couple questions about characters and stats:

1. When putting together your council, is there any reason not to just find courtiers somewhere else with really high stats and invite them to your court? It doesn't seem like your own courtiers/vassals get much of a relationship boost from being on the council. Seems like as long as they're not heretics/infidels you'd be better off importing supermen from abroad.

2. When marrying my heir, I assume the name of the game is trying to selectively breed high stat/good trait superwives into your bloodline? Only an amazing political opportunity should take priority over eugenics, right?

1. Roleplaying. Keeping locals on your council makes sense for roleplaying. Keeping your local lords happy makes sense. Local lords that love you are also a little less likely to join plots and factions against you.

Imports can be troublemakers too. You get penalties for different culture and religion. Most guys won't come, and often the ones that will come hate their current liege because they are jealous or ambitious. Once you are their liege that jealousy penalty applies to you instead. All those slightly malcontent imports are potentially more people to join plots against you.

It can be worthwhile, but only if your imports will be significantly better than the locals. Going through the list to find the awesome guys also gets a bit tiresome.

2. You can always marry for eugenics the first time, get some awesome heirs, then marry for alliance the second time. No point holding onto a lowborn wife once her uterus dries up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Roland Jones posted:

Anyway, patched up now. Holy crap, searching for specifics traits is so nice. This will make my spousal searches and hte like so, so much faster.

I'm so jealous. The map expansion was causing my computer to vomit constantly, I had to roll back to 2.0.4 :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

fool_of_sound posted:

Have you tried a complete reinstall? I had all sorts of bugs and crashes until I did one.

Yeah, first I tried reboots, then reinstalls, then finally rollback. I have a lovely 6 year old computer with 3GBs of RAM running windows 8, lots of games just go "LOL, no" and refuse to work at all. This was at least launching, but every time it tried to save there was alike 50/50 chance it would just freeze up and collapse. This way will do until I get around to getting a new machine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

When making your own republic, is it better to use one of your spare kinsmen or a stranger as the starting mayor? With a kinsman you get the same dynasty + to help set off the wrong government - but is there any particular downside?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Allyn posted:

As a king, you cannot swear fealty to an Emperor who is not your de jure liege. That's why he can't see the option.

That is kind of lame, really. If an Empire is rolling through lands outside their historical area, I for one would much rather swear fealty and pay my taxes to them than have them chip away at my kingdom. Get some Realpolitik up in here. We're mongols now, hooray!

Pellisworth posted:

I usually hand out a duchy or two to dynasty members, I generally don't care too much about the "unlanded son" penalty because Prestige is easy to get, but if I'm expanding and have extra sons I'll give them a single county in a newly conquered duchy or something.

I like to marry extra sons to some countess or duchess far away, especially if I can find one that doesn't require a matrilineal union. Too far away and not powerful enough to be a threat to the main line. The son is happy because he is landed now, at no cost to me. Mostly these distant lines just die out, but occasionally generations later you find some kinsman has become a king.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Edison was a dick posted:

Have you tried not using Windows 8?

I'm currently using a machine less powerful to play CK2 with RoI, but I'm doing so on Ubuntu Linux.
If you've got spare space on your hard-drive, you can shrink a partition and install along-side, but if you regularly run out of disk space, I'd recommend buying a new drive.

Before Windows 8 I was using XP, which was fine but wouldn't run X-Com so I got 8 during that window when it was super cheap. Naturally some of my old equipment never got drivers for 8, so I had to install drivers for 7 instead, and frankly it is amazing the whole creaking mess hasn't blown up in my face. I did add a 1TB drive a couple years ago, so I thought about keeping an XP partition when I added windows 8, but ultimately :effort: won and I'm just going to muddle along until I can afford a new system.

As it is I can play everything up to and including Sons of Abraham, so I'm not missing much. The worst part is not being able to search the character finder by traits, but that's not a deal breaker.

I appreciate the interest though, thanks. :)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Can heresies install anti-popes?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SeaTard posted:

Yep, the umads are Sayyid.

I bet getting conquered by the U Mad? is super annoying.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

QuoProQuid posted:

If you make your heir a Doge, he will immediately be disinherited.

Hmm, that could be useful too. Getting rid of excess heirs is a pain under gavelkind.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What are lowborns anyway? They aren't exactly peasants, if they were peasant there would be tonnes more of them. They are noblemen, but noblemen with no notable relatives.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Unlanded sons going off to become adventurers sounded so festive when I first heard about it. :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What religious group are jews in for marriage and whatnot? As norse I can marry other pagans, but only norse will let me take concubines. Christians and muslims are all "must not marry an infidel" and won't give me the time of day. Even norse women in the court of another religion are off limits. It is a very limited pool of potential brides.

Seems like that could be much worse for jews, who barely exist at all.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My norse guy had 3 daughters and then a genius son. Hell yeah. Then at 12 he drops dead of smallpox. No big deal, my wife isn't that old and I'll load up 3 concubines to hedge my bets. Set my ambition to "have a son". 7 more daughters. :argh: No big deal, I reformed the faith and now I've got elective succession, and a huge dynasty, I can find someone nice. When my guy is 74 years old, he's already outlived 3 designated heirs and 2 wives, my dukes decide to get frisky and several nominate a duke not in my dynasty. :what:

Meanwhile someone in my dynasty wins the republic election, and promptly starts revoking all the titles under him. What? Oh, he's somehow become a different religion. I guess he's firing all the good norsemen so he can replace them with infidels. Fffff. I guess I'll have to assassinate him or something, because I can't revoke his title without disbanding the republic.

Okay, you want to play? Lets play. I'm 74 years old, I don't give a gently caress. I revoke all the duke titles except my chosen successor and pet republic. This incurs a wee bit of tyranny, but nobody refuses. Now they start having factions and poo poo. A few decide to try to push "lower crown authority". Before the rest can start firing off "lord chucklfuck for Norway" or whatever, I revoke the all the count titles. This increases my personal levys tremendously, unfortunately I also go broke and have to banish a few people. Why not? There are still 2 dukes and 2 rebelling counts. 54 very angry barons/mayors/godbotherers vassels. My demesne is now 44/6.

Come on you pussies, just assassinate me already!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

beefart posted:

Is there a decent mod that adds Satanism or something similar as a religion? I got the demon babby chain about 3 years into a Hungary game and I want to carve out an earthly realm for the Lord of Flies while listening to the theme from The Omen on repeat, but being forced by Satan to convert to Waldensianism or some hippy Christian sect just doesn't feel right.

Catholicism.

Zing!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BioMe posted:

Ahaha, I spent years building up these intricate plans to secure a claim on the Byzantine Empire and now the eldest son of the basileus just straight up accepts an invitation to my court.

I was roadblocked by the fact no claimant wanted to leave their lovely baronies they are heirs to, but this guy just walks out of Constantinople like it's nothing.

Heh, sounds like some jaded fop decided to go see how the other half lives. Could be fun.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Are there some limits on the benefit of Jewish councils? I recently noticed that the Jobs for Jews program hadn't paid out in a long while, like decades, and I still had one Jewish councilor. Could just be the RNG, but I wonder if I hosed it up.

I'm Norse so they never show up on their own. When I had a dude with heaps of daughters I used them to matrilineally marry a few jewish courtiers. (This is a pain, because they only appear in Christian and Moslem courts who hate you, so you have to snag them as courtiers before they get a councillor job.) They did a fine job as councillors, and soon started breeding adorable Jewish grandchildren. To maximize Jew production I made my jewish councillors mayors in my demesne. That turned out to be a mistake, because I couldn't lure the best ones back to my court, so only the current mayors would be available as councilors. Their children didn't inherit the "really good at one skill" thing from their dads, so most of them are pretty useless as councilors.

My last jewish councilor is a third generation mayor, and he isn't paying out. Is it because he's a landed mayor? Do only the first generation councillors get the bonus? Something else?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Strudel Man posted:

No, and no. Which is (another reason) why Norse is so great - you get to call the crusades yourself, against whomever you want.

You don't get a trait like Crusader for pagan great holy wars, do you?

I guess if you're norse you can get Viking, which is kinda like Crusader but way easier to get.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

loving Iceland. Being waaay off in the corner they join every independence faction that pops up. The land is poo poo, the levies are poo poo, the taxes are poo poo. But if you just ignore them they form a duchy and then start voting for themselves in all the norwegian elections.
"Just leave us alone! Unless we can be in charge. Can we be in charge?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Toadsniff posted:

Can we please get a prisoner torture DLC please? I have 78 prisoners and haven't had a single event to rack or oubliette them and some of them have been in prison for over 50 years (since they were infants :haw:).

Speaking of which in my most recent game as the Emperor of Carpathia I had a prisoner that was 46, had been in prison since 2, she hates me. So I took her as my concubine and got the 'abductor' modifier and proceeded to have her family imprisoned and executed. God it feels good to be Emperor!

If it is any consolation, they probably are being tortured by the guards. Just not by you personally. If you play a kid you can get an event where you explore the dungeons, hear screaming and guards laughing, and find a bloody knife.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, so that's the other side of you finding your kid walking out of the dungeons with a knife. I was wondering why so many wards seemed to be sadists, but that makes more sense.

Yeah, it was pretty cool when that fired. You find a dirty, sticky knife, then get out into the light and find that the knife sticky because it is covered in blood. Urg. Then your guardian birches you (or whatever) without giving you a chance to explain. :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shadeoses posted:

What would the original Islamic religion be before the split? Or for that matter, 480 Christianity?

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0042/0042_01.asp

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The checksum is annoying. I noticed when loading the game it would get stuck on "generating checksum" for what seems like forever. Taskmanager shows that whenever it gets to generating checksum, "Steam Client Bootstrapper" spikes up to 50% CPU and everything hangs. I tried putting steam in offline mode, and then the game then doesn't get stuck and works through generating checksum quickly. WTF?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BioMe posted:

So where's the button for "If any of you assholes starts another stupid civil war for the next five years I am going to loving hunt them and their family to extinction"?

These couple of morons are rope pulling some crap duchy forever in the backwater parts of my empire and stopping me from changing succession laws. It's kind of dumb there's literally no way to pacify your own realm without getting absolute authority.

If it is a minor backwater you could just grant them independence. No tyranny penalty for that. You can sweep them up again later.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It is too bad culture is such an absolute thing. Some French guy moves to Hungary and 40 years later he is still annoyed that his liege (and everyone else at court) is Hungarian, meanwhile everyone around him is annoyed by his accent. But if you let adults change their culture, and then the French guy unexpectedly inherits a title back home, everyone in France is going to hate this Hungarian buffoon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Knuc U Kinte posted:

definitely not a real solution, but you can roll back to pre-Rajas afaik.

But then you lose the ability to search for "genius" in the character finder. :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Darkrenown posted:

Here's the last info I got about Ironman speeds FWIW:

Optimising the game since RoI is the main focus at the moment, the latest 2 betas actually cut memory usage by something like 40% but has also slowed things down a lot so it still needs work before the patch can go live, and save speed is still being worked on.

What is the purpose in NOT allowing, say, annual saves as an option for ironman? I do it on regular and it doesn't seem to cause any problems to only save once a year.

The only thing I can think of is that players could "cheat" if things weren't going well and close the process to roll back to the beginning of the year. But that would be a silly reason, so it can't be that, right? Nobody actually cares if someone else slightly cheeses their steam achievements, right? Because if someone did want to cheese the achievements, they could just use steam achievement manager to give them all the cheevos they want.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Main Paineframe posted:

This is the point of Ironman - to prevent players from savescumming or modifying things. Even before achievements, that was how Ironman worked.

Yes. And by definition if you cheat ironman you are only cheating yourself. Oh noes, we wouldn't want anyone to act dishonourable while playing our child murder simulator.

I'm not mad or anything. It just seems deeply silly. Hilariously silly.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Could you make a mesoamerican in the ruler designer? :iamafag: One lonely native american rows across the atlantic ocean to take over europe.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Roland Jones posted:

Doesn't look like it will work; there's a "Merchant Republics will not give up titles" modifier with five minuses whenever I check. Pretty sure it's one of those "will never accept" situations.

Maybe if the doge is in your dungeon? I revoked a title from a republic that way, revoking a vassal might work too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Apparently, if you run an empire with Tanistry, and your Tanist is the Grand Mayor of the world's largest merchant republic, the inheritance will destroy the republic and leave your empire feudal :(

Tanistry is such a nuisance if you have a big empire. My dumb vassals love to track down any non-welsh members of my dynasty and elect them Tannist. Some Polish guy with 4 sons is Tanist, sure, I love gavelkind!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shiny777 posted:

Is there any good way to retrieve underage children from a foreign court? I'd handed my heir a county in my demesne so he wouldn't go running off to the court of the Genius woman I married him to, since she had a temple. He popped out a pair of daughters, I offered the eldest the hand of the Norse culture/religion Sayyid kid I'd groomed for her, he refuses because he wants a better alliance. So okay, I plot revoke his county. He runs off to his wife's court, I blow some pocket change murdering her and invite him back.

And somehow, in the week or so between revoking, stabbing, and getting him back to Akershus his daughters ended up in the court of some dipshit backwater count in Konugardr. No idea why, it's like half a dozen countries away from the place my heir's wife was from, and she was lowborn so it's not some distant relative getting a hold them somehow. Konugardr's outside my realm, they're Norse too so I can't just march in my ~28K retinue to Great Holy War the place into submission, and I've got no claims on Count Childsnatcher's lands, plus the eldest daughter is 5 so I've got a bit of a time limit before the AI sticks my eventual empress with some useless dumbass as a tutor.

And I'm assuming if I ask in a year they're going to just laugh and go "HERP DERP HOSTAGE IN FOREIGN POWER," since that exact same thing happened when one of my older emperors somehow left all his child sons with the Varangian Guard. Not only would they not let me tutor them, but couldn't even be assed to assign their own, so I ended up with a guy coming to the throne with a 3 star stewardship education and no other traits. Plus, as a bonus, there aren't any strong claimants to Konugardr who are willing to jump ship to my court at the moment, so I can't even just steal the kingdom that way.

Is there any reliable trick for salvaging this, or am I pretty much stuck throwing a giant pile of money into stabbing the king and praying his oldest unlanded son is willing to accept an invite in the aftermath?

I don't know about retrieving them, I wasn't able to get them out when it happened to me. They would let a parent, and only a parent, tutor the children. Not a grandparent, not a sibling, parent or GTFO. So as long as your son is in your court and survives to their 16th birthday, you can get them at least that education. Should be enough to keep them from turning to some stupid foreign culture.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is it possible for a duchy level player-made republic to ever become a kingdom or empire level republic? I have an empire and wanted to turn my pet republic Serene with a shiny gold kingdom title, but it looks like I can't grant the doge anything above duke level titles.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How do you ever find anyone to marry as a Jew or Zoroastrian? The initial dating pool is pretty small even as a Pagan, but Jewish women barely seem to exist at all.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Angrymog posted:

Would it be easy to mod the game so that women can have council posts apart from Spymaster if say they have a stat at 15 or above, and to lead armies if their Martial is 20 or above?

I want to allow exceptional women to do more than just tutor the boys.

Wouldn't that just make it harder to get exceptional women to your court in the first place? Like when you try to matrilineal marry some sweet peice of rear end and his liege is all "But he is our spymaster" and won't seal the deal. The world would be full of highly skilled spinsters.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Away all Goats posted:

So my first son and heir has Syphilis. What should I do?

I thought I would just wait it out and hope he dies on his own but my King is pushing 80 and the Son is still alive and kicking at 50, luckily he does not have any kids except a daughter(who obviously contracted Syphilis as well). Can I force him to become a bishop or something?

Assassination? Just suck it up?

Passing it on isn't a sure thing. I once made a guy in ruler creator with syphilis, and neither his wives nor any of his dozen children caught it. Likewise if I see a genius or strong character with syphilis I'll get them married off anyway, and often their children don't have it.

So if this guy is your best bet for an heir, just run with it. Try to have as many kids as possible, so you get some healthy ones. Marry the unhealthy ones into foreign courts.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

So every time I've seen the spawn of Satan event chain happen to someone else, it ends with the child seizing power. What happens if the child is a woman and you're playing a Muslim nation? If I luck out I might be able to convert to Zoroastrianism before she takes over where the gender isn't so big a deal, but is the fact that Muslims can't have female rulers going to mess something up?

She kills all her brothers. Still fails to invent feminism.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Techno Remix posted:

I can confirm this. The game must run some kind of check the moment you become a republic but being at max speed must skip it or something. I've tried the same process multiple times (in beta with SI enabled since that seems to be a sticking point for some people) but it only works when you set to max speed right before unpausing to wait for the surrender acceptance from the bishopric.

Even though I've been trying to create my own republic for a while until it finally worked, I'm not sure what the upside to it is other than futzing with the game mechanics just enough to do it (instead of, say, playing one of the ones already in existence. Maybe historical accuracy? Or inaccuracy perhaps? I like the idea of setting up a merchant republic in some small island backwater (Maldives, anyone?) and living fat on some paradise.

You can choose your culture, religion, and starting zone. Other cultures let you have different retinues. Other religions may give you useful special features like extra wives/concubines for more sons, norse raiding for cash and prestige, or defensive bonuses, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Azuth0667 posted:

Also to make a republic I have to build a city and give it to a relative and give them a county right?

Doesn't have to be a relative. Just make sure he is the same culture and religion as you, because all the auto spawning republicans will have the same as his.

Give a dude a city, so he becomes a mayor. Then give him the county, now he's a fancy mayor. Finally give him the duke title. The other 4 families will spawn and you've got yourself a republic. You may as well give him the whole duchy, otherwise you'll get an opinion hit.

Note: If you are starting in Old Gods time it can take a while to pay off. If Trade Practices hasn't been researched in that county, they will have a -100% modifier to how many trade posts they can build, so for a long time they won't build any. No trade posts means no trade income, so they won't be making much more taxable income than a regular city. Their capital county needs Trade Practices to 3 before they start printing ridiculous piles of cash. If you can I find it help to position their capital adjacent to your capital, so technology from your capital will spread to the republic as quickly as possible.

• Locked thread