Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I haven't played this game since messing around with it for a few hours when it first dropped, I'm thinking about getting back into it. Which, if any, of the DLCs are considered essential? I don't really care about playing as Republics or Muslims or whatever but if there are useful features added I'm down to pick up any of the DLCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thanks for the advice on the DLC. :thumbsup:

I'm trying out a game starting as Dublin, since I have basically forgotten how to play this and the OP recommends that as a tutorial. I've picked up a couple more counties and they are now in my demesne, but I have multiple sons so there will be title loss on succession. For some reason, I can't grant the titles that will be lost to my eldest son. Should I just change my laws to Primogeniture? Is there some other way around this that people tend to use?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If I buy a DLC, do I need to start a new game to take advantage of the new features?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Question about creating titles. Playing in Ireland, I currently control Dublin, Kildare, Leinster, and Ossary, which together form the Petty Kingdom of Tara. I have the option to create the Duchy of Leinster. Why or why not might I want to do this? If it matters, 3 of my counties are my demesne, while I have given the fourth to my minor son and heir.

Also, more generally, I'm kind of at a loss for how to start expanding into the other Irish kingdoms and counties. Just forge a bunch of claims? Marry my daughters off to them and hope I end up with a weak claim at some point? Somehow cajole one of them into marrying a daughter off to my son?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Few more noob questions:

1. I have no retinues and I want to create one. When I mouse over the button to create a retinue, the game says I am already at the cap. What's the deal?

2. My son and heir, who is also my vassal, recently attained majority and I want to marry him off to someone. When I go to his character and try to arrange either a marriage or a betrothal, it only gives me the option of trying to arrange a marriage between someone in my court and someone in his. If your child is your vassal, can you not arrange a marriage for them or something?

3. Do I need to pay attention to technology at all?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If I invite a dude to my court who has a claim on a title, is there any way I can press his claim?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tsyni posted:

Everyone else has covered how this works, but sometimes you can invite someone with a claim to your court, marry them matrilineally to your heir(or normally, if it's a woman you're inviting) then press the claim. This way the next generation your heir's heir should get your land plus whatever claim you pressed.

If they are already married, it should only cost 50 gold to kill their spouse if they are in your court.

Thanks for the responses all. Couple follow up questions on this claim pressing issue:

- Is there a way to kill someone other than launching a plot against them? 50 gold to kill a spouse doesn't seem bad, but plots seem to take forever.

- How do I actually go about pressing someone's claim if they are a random member of my court? Will it just show up as a casus belli on whoever I want to attack or is there some other option somewhere?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm the Petty King of Tara and a member of my court has a claim on the neighboring Petty Kingdom of Munster. If I make this dude a vassal and then press his claim, will he become independent if I succeed in pressing his claim? He will, right?

Assuming the courtier would become independent after his claim is pressed, I'm thinking what I will do is marry him matrilineally to my daughter, then press his claim. Then once they spit out an heir of my dynasty, I can try to finagle my way into inheriting Munster at some point (killing heirs, etc.). Would that be a solid play, or am I missing something?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

That sounds like a great play! You're correct, you could press his claim and end with him your vassal if you were a King, but since you're pressing his claim on a title equal to yours, he'll become independent as the Petty King of Munster. You can't have another Petty King as a vassal!

Finding claimaints, marrying them into your dynasty, then pressing their claims is generally a great way to expand

I ended up not needing to do this since my Chancellor managed to forge a claim on part of the Petty Kingdom I wanted to take, but good to know that it works.

On a related note, I'm now King of Ireland and I want to start moving into Wales. I found a pretty good claimant to some Petty Kingdom in Wales with an unpronounceable name. If I give this dude a County somewhere and then press his claim for on the Petty Kingdom, will he remain my vassal? Does it matter that his Petty Kingdom is not in my de jure Kingdom?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a way to press multiple claims or use more than one casus belli in a war? I've got a few different CBs on my neighbor, each of which is for only one province, and I'd rather not have this take 30 years.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Couple questions about characters and stats:

1. When putting together your council, is there any reason not to just find courtiers somewhere else with really high stats and invite them to your court? It doesn't seem like your own courtiers/vassals get much of a relationship boost from being on the council. Seems like as long as they're not heretics/infidels you'd be better off importing supermen from abroad.

2. When marrying my heir, I assume the name of the game is trying to selectively breed high stat/good trait superwives into your bloodline? Only an amazing political opportunity should take priority over eugenics, right?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Playing as the Duke of Apulia, I forged a claim on Amalfi and conquered it right off the bat. Now I'm getting a warning that the County of Amalfi is the wrong type of holding for my demesne. Why is this? What's wrong with a Duke holding a County?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Allyn posted:

The top level holding in that county is a city, which can only be held properly by a republic. If you get a castle in that county, it will become the new top level holding for the county. So either get stabbing a baron or outright revoke it, or hand the county out to some random dude and make him a vassal republic later for the $$$.

I like the sound of the $$$. How can I make it into a vassal republic?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Amalfi has a city for a capital holding, rather than a castle like most other provinces, so as a Duke you're penalised for holding the county. You can get rid of that message by giving the county to a mayor or a lowborn, or revoking/building a castle in that province so it'll switch capitals (or giving the county to a baron in that province).

edit: beaten. But for your second question, merchant republics have to be duke or king level, so when you form Sicily or whatever just hand out a duchy to the mayor you gave Amalfi to and it'll recreate the Republic of Amalfi, except as a vassal that you can tax.

Thanks. Just as a strategy matter, what is the best play here? It sounds like working towards a vassal republic would increase my tax revenues in the long term, but is there some countervailing consideration why I might want to keep it as a feudal vassal?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Any suggestions on what, if anything, I can do to contribute to HRE vassals in Italy declaring independence? It's about 1110, I've formed the Kingdom of Sicily and the HRE controls almost everything north of my territory. Maybe 15-20 years ago Tuscany formed and I was pretty excited about that because I can deal with them a lot more easily, but the HRE swallowed them back up pretty quickly. I'm kind of at a loss for where to expand.

On a related note, is there any way to tell beforehand roughly how many troops a given country is going to be able to levy? I've started forming alliances with the other big players in Europe - France, Poland, Castille, and Hungary - in the hopes of maybe putting together some sort of anti-HRE coalition. The problem is that I have no idea what kind of numbers these guys can field, even if I do manage to get them to all fight by my side.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Have you considered undermining the HRE from within? By joining the HRE, you'll be able to join/create independence factions and declare war on independent vassals.

How do I join the HRE? I don't see any diplomatic option when speaking to the Emperor.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Question about handing out duchies. As the King of Sicily, I hold the two duchies that I can hold without my vassals bitching at me (as well as a handful of counties). The rest of my vassals are all counts directly under me. I have about 4 duchies that I could create but haven't. I know that creating them would give me prestige, but I'm not super concerned about that, I have plenty. Is there some reason I'm missing that I should create these duchies and set up my kingdom as king --> duke --> count instead of (mostly ) king --> count?

The reason I'm holding off on creating and handing out the duchies is twofold. First, I know that whoever I hand the duchies out to will get a huge relations boost, so I'm waiting until I really need to improve relations with my vassals. Right now everyone likes me well enough, so the relations boost would be mostly wasted. Second, I want to keep my vassals weak and reduce opportunities for scheming. I also haven't needed to create or usurp a duchy to get a de jure claim on a county yet.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What exactly is the penalty for having a holding of the wrong type? I'm sitting on a city until I can grab the other county in its duchy and use that to create a vassal republic. I'm seeing various warnings about this but I don't see any indication of what the problem actually is. My vassals don't seem worried about it, as far as I can tell I'm still getting tax revenue, I don't see any heightened revolt risk, etc.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tsyni posted:

You lose 75% tax revenue from having a wrong holding type. I think that's the only downside.

So, depending on how much you tax your burgher vassals, it might not be a penalty at all?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bold Robot posted:

Any suggestions on what, if anything, I can do to contribute to HRE vassals in Italy declaring independence? It's about 1110, I've formed the Kingdom of Sicily and the HRE controls almost everything north of my territory. Maybe 15-20 years ago Tuscany formed and I was pretty excited about that because I can deal with them a lot more easily, but the HRE swallowed them back up pretty quickly. I'm kind of at a loss for where to expand.

Update on this: almost 70 years have gone by and I'm still totally stuck. A decades-long plan to install my heir as Duke of Lombardy (and thus gain like 5 provinces in Northern Italy) fizzled out when he turned out to be a gay idiot and then lost all of his land in a misguided rebellion against the HRE before he could inherit the rest of Sicily. I've assassinated two Kaisers but the HRE remains strong.

My impression is that Apulia --> Sicily is a popular enough country to play. How do people usually deal with the fact that half of Italy is taken up by a huge blob?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Archaeology Hat posted:

By taking over Greece and North Africa while I wait for the Holy Roman Empire to have one of it's periodic crises.

Unfortunately the Byzantines and the Fatimids are also both really strong. :negative:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: really the easiest way to tear them apart would be to Swear Fealty, stab heirs until you get a lovely Emperor, and lead an Independence revolt to fracture the HRE. But I think you're a King already so that probably won't work?

Yeah, I really wish I could join the HRE so I could expand within it. If I were to start as an HRE Duke in Italy and then expand to form either Italy or Sicily, would I remain in the HRE as a vassal king, so I could still gently caress with other Dukes? Or would I gain independence upon creating a Kingdom?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a reason why the "Declare War" option wouldn't show up in the diplomacy screen? Playing as the Duchess of Tuscany, I forged a claim on Pisa, invaded, took it, no problem. Now I forged a claim on Piombino, which is owned by a Count who is a vassal to the King of Pisa. When I go to the King of Pisa to try to declare war so I can take Piombino, the option just isn't there. Not greyed out, just no button at all. I can't declare war on the Count of Piombino since he is not independent. What's going on here? I want that province.

If it matters, the King of Pisa also holds Sardinia - his realm right now is the two Sardinian provinces, plus Piombino.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Any tips on elective monarchies? I had a brief scare when a bunch of my vassals decided to support some Count for my primary title instead of my son, even though I was at or near 100 relations with all of them. I successfully plotted to kill the guy off so the succession is safe now, but I'm wondering what plays into the electors' choices.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

DrSunshine posted:

Another thing to note re: Elective Monarchy -- you will not become unlanded if your chosen heir fails the Kingdom's election. Your chosen heir will inherit your duchy as you've chosen, but the Kingdom will go to whoever won the election. Only if you've done something crazy, like nominate a non-relative as your chosen heir, will you become unlanded.

Do you get a claim on the Kingdom? If so, seems like it would be relatively easy to keep a hold on the Kingdom even if you lose the election as long as you control a couple decent duchies.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How worried should I be about tanking my heir's prestige in an elective monarchy? He's currently unmarried and there aren't any interesting political marriages available right now. I also have like ten kids so I can use some of them as alliance fodder if something better pops up. I'm considering just finding my heir a courtier superwife from somewhere, but it would push his prestige into the red. Is this a big deal? If it matters, my realm is very stable and my heir has amazing traits so I think the vassals will love him once he takes over.

edit: On the subject of superwives, my heir has the Quick trait. I don't know much about how the game handles genetics. Should I still shoot for the moon and try and find a Genius wife? Or would it be better to find another Quick wife, the idea being that his kids would be basically guaranteed to get the trait?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

It ended up being a non-issue - a Croatian Princess popped up out of nowhere with amazing stats (Genius, Grey Eminence, etc.). She isn't Lustful but hopefully shorty will still put out.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

If you didn't know, couples are limited to a total of two (living) children unless they're landed. So Quick heir won't have more than two kids unless you give him a county or something.

Oh, this is huge, I better land him. I'll still be able to educate his children if I give him a county somewhere, right?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm playing as the King of Italy, with elective succession. I'm in a position where I can usurp the Kingdom of Sicily. I notice that in order to create the Empire of Italia, I would need another Kingdom title, in addition to both Italy and Sicily. Since my succession is elective, am I right to think that it's not really worth it to usurp the Kingdom of Sicily right now, since it will be a pain in the rear end to manage elections across both Kingdoms? My concern is that a lot of the local lords in Sicily are Norman, so it might be tricky to get them to vote for my Italian heirs, especially if a king dies at an inopportune time and I haven't had a chance to cajole them.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Pellisworth posted:

Only vassals in the de jure Kingdom of Italy get to vote. Double check the succession of Sicily, if for example it's Gavelkind or Primogeniture, you can usurp and have your oldest son inherit by electing him King of Italy and as the eldest he'll inherit Sicily.

So, the Sicilian dukes voting against your chosen heir isn't really a problem since they can't vote in Italy. However, you're right you probably don't want to juggle two Elective kingdoms, since you'll have separate elections and elector pools for each and it's almost inevitable you'll split your realm between two different heirs at some point.

Ideally what you probably want to do is 1) usurp Sicily and set both Italy and Sicily to the same non-Electoral succession so you can easily keep both titles OR 2) don't usurp Sicily until you control 80% of de jure Italy and are ready to form the Empire of Italia. Yes, you need 2 Kingdom titles, but what you can do is usurp Sicily, form the empire, then destroy the title of Kingdom of Sicily. That will piss off your Sicilian vassals but long-term is much more stable, you really only want to hold your primary Kingdom title as otherwise all the dukes will covet it. For example, if you were Emperor of Italia, King of Italy and Sicily your Sicilian dukes would get a -25 "Desires Kingdom of Sicily" relation penalty.

Edit: the most stable setup is probably one Elective Emperor title and nothing but Dukes under you (destroy King titles), or for primo/ultimo/gavelkind you can have as many Emperor titles as you want, primary Kingdom title only (where your capital is), and then all Duke vassals.

Thanks for the advice - I think what I'll do is basically take option 2 there. I'll wait until I can form Italia (which for some reason needs Italy, Sicily, and then also any other Kingdom :confused:), create it, and then destroy all 3 of my Kingdom titles. This will piss off the vassals but then I'll hand out a ton of Duchies to mollify them.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

James Garfield posted:

How exactly does education work? I have an imbecile courtier with really high base stats and good traits (how does an imbecile get a 4 star education trait :psyduck:), is he a better guardian than a guy with worse base stats and traits but higher overall stats due to not being an imbecile?

The wiki has a pretty good primer on it. As I understand it, the child will gain stats and traits (other than the trait they get upon becoming an adult) based on what their guardian has. You can kinda see how this works if you raise a child yourself. Events happen where you can try to influence what traits a child gains or loses. I think the idea is that the AI will make the choices that reflect their personality. So, for example, if the guardian has high Martial and is Kind and Zealous, the child will gain more Martial and is more likely to get the Kind and Zealous traits.

As for the final trait they get upon becoming an adult, my impression from the wiki and anecdotally is that it's based entirely on who is the child's guardian when they turn 16. You're guaranteed to get the same type of trait. What level of trait you get is a percentage chance based on what level the guardian has. Apparently it's 50% chance to get the same level, with a lower chance for either an upward or downward departure.

So, if you want to game things, you can pick a guardian with high stats and good traits, then switch to a new guardian with a good final trait shortly before the child turns 16. I might be wrong about being able to switch like this, but the wiki says the final trait has nothing to do with how long a character has been guardian, and I feel like I've noticed it working that way. Wouldn't be too hard to test by like, educating a kid with a Misguided Warrior until shortly before he turns 16, then switching to a Grey Eminence, and seeing which one you get.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How often do the Muslims get their poo poo together and actually start taking the Byzantine Empire apart? I've only played a few games, and none past like 1225 or so, but the Byzantines have lost basically no territory in any of them. Do things pick up later on?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Cantorsdust posted:

Have the Seljuks shown up yet?

Just checked, it's 1219 in my current game I don't see them yet.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

CharlestheHammer posted:

They show up in the Old Gods start. In 1066 they are already there.

Oh. :shrug: Maybe they got their asses kicked at some point, I haven't been paying any attention to anything east of Constantinople.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How can I vassalize the Pope? I just formed the Empire of Italia and I thought I was gonna get a de jure claim on his lands, but I didn't.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm having trouble destroying a Kingdom. I'm an Emperor and I control 4 kingdoms: Italy, Sicily, Bavaria, and Croatia. The first 3 are elective, Croatia is gavelkind (I haven't reigned long enough to change it yet). I want to destroy Bavaria, but when I mouse over it, the "Succession is not Gavelkind" requirement is Xed out and I can't click the button. Why is this, since Bavaria has elective succession? Is it because my other Kingdom, Croatia, is gavelkind? Interestingly, I have the same problem with Sicily, but everything is working fine for Italy and I could destroy it if I wanted to.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Torrannor posted:

You cannot destroy titles if one of them has gavelkind succession. This is to stop you from cheating the system. I assume you are emperor of Italy? That would explain why you can destroy the kingdom of Italy, which is unusual.

Okay, that makes sense. One more issue here - I want to change Croatia to elective succession, but it's saying I need to reign for 10 years first. I've been King of Croatia for over 10 years, but Emperor of Italia for under 10 years. I guess my Emperor title is the one they're dating it from here?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any way I can prod the Pope to call a Crusade if he is my vassal, or is it completely random?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I've got High Crown Authority but vassals within my empire are still fighting with each other. I don't mind too much, but they shouldn't be allowed to fight each other from Medium Crown Authority on up, right? Is this a bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Cantorsdust posted:

Your crown laws only apply to the specific kingdom you're in. Vassals in other kingdoms will follow those crown laws.

Ah, that makes sense. The vassals duking it out are in a Kingdom-less section of my Empire. Thanks.

I wish there was a diplomatic option along the lines of the "Enforce Peace" option from EU4.

• Locked thread