Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Holy poo poo, old Gods and a new thread. Glorious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I want to start a custom ruler Thorgenics program to create a dynasty of genius berserkers. However, I prefer my genetic Wunderkind be legitimate, rather than legitimized bastards. Is sibling marriage possible, or only "giving a good tumble" on the down low?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

JerikTelorian posted:

There is a way to mod the game to permit sibling marriage, as it was added for the AGoT mod, but I'm not quite sure how to do it.

Keep in mind that the inbred penalty is probably going to cause some issues for your superwarriors.

That's why you don't commit 100% to incest or otherwise, a careful blend of traits is needed! :eng101:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
What file would I have to edit to remove the Basque culture only requirement for women to inherit on the same level as men? I want to try making a Warrior Queen of the Vikings.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, any answers to my question? I already knew what I wanted, I just need to know how to implement it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Belasarius posted:

how close is too close though? I'm trying to get all geniuses you know.

First kid from a father/daughter pair was inbred and quick. He was also my heir, ahead of the only-quick son of a concubine, so the assassins struck quickly.

e: isn't there a 'divine blood' trait added for use by the GoT mod that eliminates inbred risk? I can't figure out how to add it manually.

Annath fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 1, 2013

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Reveilled posted:

Kind of. If you inbreed you have a fair chance of getting the inbred trait, and a small chance of getting the lunatic trait. Divine blood flips those percentages, so you'll have fewer morons but more madmen. I think you need to make a trait and give it the attribute "divine_blood = yes" or something like that.

Hmmm... How does one make a trait?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I had an absurd idea.

What happens if you use the console to make the Pope Pagan? Or Muslim? Does he crusade himself?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's not a trait, actually, it's a flag applied to the dynasty in question. I've always wondered if it can be edited mid-game, so I'm not sure of that.

Can it be added before beginning a game, as through the Ruler Designer? I've only used it to change names/looks

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, I tried messing around with the ruler designer, but I can't find a way to add a dynasty flag like divine blood, only character traits like Strong, Proud, etc..

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Rumda posted:

Divine Blood is only a potential trait you need to mod it in.

So how do you do that? Is it as simple as editing a text file, or do potential traits require more advanced modification?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Namarrgon posted:

I have one for you;

Some upload site google spat out.

It triggers with "/event 1000000" but not on it's own. Currently it costs a major prestige and piety hit to use but that's fairly trivial to take out, just dig around in the .txt file.

e. didn't make it myself, but I couldn't find the original author any more and I changed basically everything except the immortality icon.

I tried typing /event 1000000 into the console and nothing happened. I copied the files from the download into the /steamapps/common/crusader kings ii/ folder where they seemed to go, but its giving me an error.

e: and the Immortal trait is selected from the Ruler Designer, but that command gives an error

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

LowellDND posted:

Ah, thats why I've been confused.

Now, for a code question. How would I remove the basque requirement for absolute cognatic succession? I'm not seeing the folders and files google is telling me to look for.

code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\crusader kings ii\decisions
Now edit "sucession_laws.txt"

and find the bit that says "true cognatic", or just ctrl-f "basque" and remove the "culture=basque" bit.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Shorter Than Some posted:

My immortal god king who I mentioned in an earlier post (a ruler designer made super ruler who I gave shitloads of health thinking it would just effect diseases and stuff) is apparently not as immortal as I thought as he has just become infirm at the ripe old age of 147.

He has reigned for 131 years, reformed the Persian empire, lived a good 80 years as a maimed super warrior, killed untold thousands, had 5 successive wives (and god knows how many concubines)and had 112 descendants, 44 of which he has outlived.

Is there some other ruler designer besides the one where you pick a dude and can add/remove some traits? I don't understand how you were able to add health and such to get such a long lived dude.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, what would have to be done to:

1. Flesh out the Hellenistic faith to bring it up to par with the Norse/Slavic/OG paganism?

2. Flesh out a Roman Culture to be on par with the others, so you get specific named ranks equivalent to Jarls etc

Is there a mod that does these kinds of things? I want to create and expand the classical Roman Empire.

Oh, same question with regard to Welsh/Celts. An event to spawn a huge army led by Artorius, returned to reunite Brittania would be :krad:

(Yeah, I went and read the first 11 volumes of Vinland Saga...)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Qwo posted:

Speaking of which, is there a version of Vinland Saga that's printed left-to-right? This thread made me want to read it but I can't stand the manga format.

I don't think it's even printed in English, I've only ever seen fan translations, and those will always be right to left.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Annath posted:

So, what would have to be done to:

1. Flesh out the Hellenistic faith to bring it up to par with the Norse/Slavic/OG paganism?

2. Flesh out a Roman Culture to be on par with the others, so you get specific named ranks equivalent to Jarls etc

Is there a mod that does these kinds of things? I want to create and expand the classical Roman Empire.

Oh, same question with regard to Welsh/Celts. An event to spawn a huge army led by Artorius, returned to reunite Brittania would be :krad:

(Yeah, I went and read the first 11 volumes of Vinland Saga...)

Quoting myself for the new page, anyone have some light to shed?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Strudel Man posted:

Well, let's see.

Various questions you could answer and implement:
What should a Hellenistic Court Chaplain be called?
A baron-level theocratic leader? County-level? Duchy, kingdom, empire?
Any special religious characteristics relevant to the Hellenistic faith that could be earned or passed on, like Muslims have Sayyid, or Norse have Viking, or Zoroastrians have shayowhatever?
(Maybe special traits for devoting yourself to one of the specific gods in the pantheon, based on their portfolio)
Singular religious head after reformation, like the Pope, or autocephalous, like Orthodox Patriarchs?
Special names for holy wars or crusades, once reformed?
Concubinage?
Would the religious head be held by the ruler, like in the Caliphates, or would it be a vassal?

As for the roman thing:
Names, obviously, both first and last and patronyms, if any.
Retinue composition, as well as culture-specific building.
Can also have things like Jarl, as you said, culture-specific titles for various levels.
Different honorary titles could be handed out by Roman lieges.

Or are you asking how you'd implement these?

More of the "Is anyone else doing this and if not, how might I learn?"

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Tank Sinatra posted:

It kind of depends on what time period we're talking about, especially as far as the lower offices go. I mean, quaestor and consul and all that crap - those weren't the important offices past a fairly early point.

As for the Emperor himself, Augustus is the one term that covers all of them. From Augustus to Diocletian to Heraclius, they all called themselves Augustus (Greek equivalent Sebastos, although it looks like Basileus supplants that at some point). It's a better, more inclusive title than Imperator or Princeps or whatever.

poo poo son, I need a list of stuff to toss into text files until my game breaks. I have no idea what I'm doing, but dammit, I'm going to conquer Europe as the Romans one way or another.

One thing I can't bullshit my way through though, is graphics. Like CoAs, kingdom sigils, empire sigils, trait emblems.

I suppose the Mediterranean faces are what a Roman Culture would use?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Spiderfist Island posted:

I would just go with the default Christian CoA for now, unless you want to make your life difficult. Hopefully someone who isn't poo poo at graphical design can whip up some toga clothing for the portraits. Also, Roman culture is already in the game (with Mediterranean faces :barf:) and has a lot of names/etc. I can crap up some specific traits or shields if you want!

I'll be done with work in like 2 hours (yay Friday), so I'll start actually trying to learn this stuff then.

If you wanted to make an awesome shield for the Roman Empire, or for some relevant kingdom(s) I'm certainly not going to complain!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Spiderfist Island posted:

I know that Vikings have different titles than other pagans. Maybe check their code/localizations to see what's different.
The Roman Empire already has a shield from Legacy of Rome. If you don't have that expansion yet I'd highly recommend getting that even though it's Byzantine-oriented since it also includes standing armies and the Augustus trait. "Augustus" is given to any character that holds the title of Roman Emperor and gives a minor prestige boost. (also, get the 1.10 beta patch if you have Steam since it includes a Roman culture and the Hellenic religion.)

Does the Roman Empire have an actual set of requirements to form it like the others, or would I have to add it?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

TjyvTompa posted:

It can only be created through a special event as it is but the title itself exists and can be used in scripting. You can try if it works in game by giving it to someone "give_title e_roman_empire <charid>".

So that works, some tiny little earl in England is the Roman Emperor now.

How would I go about making a trigger to form the Empire for non-byzantines? It could use the same list of territories, but instead of an event it would be the standard "create title" function.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

GrabbinPeels posted:

I'm not that familiar with how modding works for this game, but I would imagine you could just add a line in the event itself to be available to Romans the same way it is to Byzantines, or make a copy of the event and change the Empire/Culture. I don't think you could make a standard title unless it was titular with all of those qualifiers.

What do you mean a titular title?

GrabbinPeels posted:

If I might make a suggestion, though, I think it would make more sense to make their "form Roman Empire" decision be based on the western half or something because the Byzantines have to get theirs by reclaiming the Justinian-era borders (so pretty much just the eastern half+Italy). Having to fight them for Italy would be interesting, but having to pry Constantinople and everything else away from them sounds like it would be kinda tedious.

Also you should definitely use the culture-based names to change the duchy names to the old provincial names.

Also also I think Augustus is definitely the way to go, only the Julio-Claudian dynasty really kept up the Princeps charade of holding imperial authority within the old republican system with "at-large pro-consular authority" instead of the later enlightened despotism or the even later outright military dictatorships.

I'm realizing the limits of my own historical knowledge...I have no idea what the provincial names were...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

GrabbinPeels posted:

Titles in CK2 are either de-jure or titular. Titlar just means that you can make the title if you meet certain conditions but there are no de-jure lands associated with it. There are no claims to press or anything like that. If you made a regular title to form then you would have to change the de-jure Empires around to include the Roman one, but if it was purely titular then you could have "has to own blank and blank to create the title".

I wonder if I could change things up to make the Byzantine one the "Eastern Roman Empire" and a new one "Western Roman Empire" and upon conquering both, an event to change it to just "Roman Empire"...but that might be too ambitious

If I wanted to make a titular title of Roman Emperor/Imperator/Princeps/whatever, how would I do that?

e: haha, awesome, the Titular Title Generator

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Schizotek posted:

Well the literal translations are Baro, Comes, Dux, Rex, and Imperator. So I'll either go with that or do what one of you other peeps said. A more important question is what to name all of the other pagan religions, because paradox were lazy and put them all under pagan_group. And since the game defaults to religion specific titles, the only way not to have "High Cheif Alexander the Great" was to destroy the pagan titles.

wait, if you're making a Roman Empire mod, I don't have to learn, right? I'm happy to have someone else try this if they want; as I said I have no idea what I'm doing...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Schizotek posted:

It might not be accurate, but it's better than what Paradox has.

Any criticisms, particularly the first three?

If you're asking about the titles, they look great to me!

If you're asking about the code, I have no idea.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So, in my excitement about the possibilities of an expanded and playable pagan Roman Empire, I had forgotten that I'm actually taking classes this summer.

Therefore, I have done jack squat with regards to that theoretical mod.

Is anyone else making such a mod? Does one exist?

Bonus points for a Roman Republic version.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Did anyone ever make a mod to expand the scope of the Hellenistic religion/make a playable Roman Empire? I remember some folks tossing around the idea (myself included), but I lost track of the thread.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Hey, I've been out of the loop on this game for a while, but did anything ever come of the idea to mod in a legitimate Roman Empire? I remember that some folks were talking about modding in the proper rank names/units/etc, and the Hellenistic faith is already in the game files...

Basically, can I conquer the world as the Romans yet?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

fool_of_sound posted:

It becomes an independent county that functions as normal, except the ruler has a -5 Diplomacy malus for being lowborn.

Could such a peasant king theoretically succeed and his family continue ruling? If so, would it always have the -5, or will that eventually "breed out" or something?

Also, repeating my question re: a legit Roman Empire, does it exist in mod form?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Excelzior posted:

yessss demon spawn ruler. go nuts and enjoy it.

Is this in the vanilla game, or a mod? I've had my dude become possessed, but not like this...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

PleasingFungus posted:

Added in Sons of Abraham. (Or possibly the patch? Not sure.)

I really need to get SoA. drat shame money's so tight that :10bux: on games is a no go right now.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

DrSunshine posted:

Sonendar 1.05.4

Hopefully this fixes some things!

It turned out that there was a problem in one of the files for The Republic, actually -- the Republic Dynastic feud event chain. Someone had written a [ when there was supposed to be a {! Now I don't know how that got there, because I certainly never messed with it.

Does your mod work with/without any DLC?
I don't have SoA, but I'd like to try Sonedar.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

DrSunshine posted:

It doesn't require any of them, but it does have some realms that are classified as "Muslim" (only technically, it's for the Muslim interface and shields), and a lot of small trade republics. So you'll be able to play most of the realms on the map except for those.

Also some have reported bugs when playing with SoA turned on.

Ah, that's great then. I have all the DLC except SoA.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
What does the title "XXX the Fowler" mean?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Is there a fun and/or easy way to conquer Europe, or at least establish a lasting dynasty, as an Aztec?

When would I start? How would I do this?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Fuligin posted:

Fun, maybe, easy? Oh my yes. You basically have two options. With the Sunset Invasion DLC checked either play a normal (or observer) game up until the Aztecs spawn (which I think is around 1100?), or find the event #ID and trigger the invasion manually whenever you wish using the console (~). Since they start out with something like 300K upkeep free event troops and free invasions I don't think you'll have any difficulty stomping Europe into a fine, sacrificial paste.

Haha, that sounds awesome. I just want a easy, carefree round of nation stomping.

What happens if I establish a sizable Aztec nation in CKII and then export the game to EU4?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Aw man, I haven't played in months thanks to School, but I fully intend to re-embrace my inner CKII nerd over winter break.

How's the new sets of DLC? Last time I played, Charlemagne and Way of Life were not around. I'm gonna buy em because I love Paradox, but I'm curious as to what they bring to the table.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Groogy posted:

And get eaten by him if you get too drunk....

Alright, I'll bite.

How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Reforming the classic Roman Empire, complete with Hellenistic faith, has been a long time goal for me in this game.

None of that Byzantine nonsense.

• Locked thread