Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hahaha. Awesome. First time I managed to get a duchy without war by using assassination and marriage, it ruined my game and wiped me out. Somehow or another, my heir managed to get in line for a duchy in Norway (which had been taken over by Denmark). So I killed everyone until he took over. I figured cool, I've got all my holdings in the Roman empire where I started. Once my Count dies, his heir will inherit all of that, plus he'll have all his Danish holdings. I'll hand off all my Danish counties to a brother or something. No maintenance, and I'll make extra money from being the Duke. Of course, as soon as my Count died, my 4 counties in Rome turned into Denmark, and I instantly got invaded by the full loving force of the Roman army. They have 20,000 soldiers, Denmark has 4,000. Definitely the side I wanted to pick. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

That is a good move. It was always annoying when you had a shitload of land but couldn't make yourself king/emperor because your lands didn't match up with a de jure kingdom/empire.

And should lead to some more ahistorical kingdoms/empires which is always good.

Especially with how inconsistent it is. You can have like 5 kingdoms in Spain with an amount of duchies that get you nothing in other start areas. Could take centuries to get one kingdom while that one rear end in a top hat in portugal with the 2 counties is already started on bumping up his crown authority. Also annoying how it sort of scripts your growth. You've got a limit on holdings, so if you start as a count, you're basically forced to go straight for the duchy your county is in, then the kingdom that your duchy is in, etc. It'll be cool to just be like ehhh I think I'll head east, without it making any difference.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I just started playing CK2+ yesterday. Is that a thing? I didn't see anything about the de jure poo poo changing in the description. How does it work?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, I'm in a bit of a situation. I just started playing this game a couple months ago. So far, I've only toyed around playing 100 years with a dynasty here and there to get a feel for the game. I got bored with only having like 1/8th of the map available without DLC (which is ridiculous), so I bought all the major DLC except Rajas of India, and installed CK2+. With all that, I finally got into a save that I'd like to follow for a few hundred years, but I think I was an idiot about it, and now there's nothing to do. I'm Mali.

The Umayyad's are about twice as strong as me, and the disparity is only getting worse. I don't think it's going to get better, because the Sunni's have torn the Shia to pieces, and the Umayyad just keep pushing further and further north into Spain. The HRE control that little chunk of Spain, but don't let that fool you. Europe is a mess, and I'm pretty sure Catholic holy wars aren't going to be dismantling the Sunni's. I've been bribing the poo poo out of the caliph trying to prevent a holy war, as they were declaring a lot of them as we overran the shia counties that provided a barrier between us. So far, I've been lucky. I can create 3 new kingdoms, but I've been afraid to do it, as I'm fairly confident with Gavelkind, my heirs will be divided up with multiple kingdoms, and then the whole demesne will be divided between a bunch of kings instead of just my rule. I'm still like 60 holdings away from being able to create an empire, and it doesn't look like there's a whole lot of room for expansion. I created a vassal republic in the southernmost county that still borders the ocean, and I'd like to follow this save to watch it grow, but I don't even know if it will. It's 1013, the Doge has multiple sons, the republic has existed for probably 50 years, its trade practice is exactly 1 block, but they still haven't built a trade post. :iiam: The last big factor is that I can't raise my crown authority above limited until I reform my religion. The Sahelian faith has 5 holy sites, 2 of which are under my control. 2 of which are in those mountains in Umayyad territory, and the last one is way on the eastern side of Africa that I will never get to. I need to have a minimum of 3 holy sites under my control, and realistically at least 4 to reform. I doubt I could fight the Umayyad without raising my crown authority, and I can't raise my crown authority without fighting the Umayyad! I can't even change my succession laws without reforming my faith.

So what the hell can I do here? The Umayyad have all the room in the world for expansions, and I have none. I've also got a big issue with desert tiles and attrition that I didn't know existed. I desperately want that southernmost coastal Umayyad county because then I can form the duchy and create a 2nd republic, but if I were to raise 8,000 troops, by the time I made it up to that tile, there'd be maybe 3,000 left because of the absolutely unforgiving attrition mechanic. Umayyad have 20k+. Should I just cut my losses and start a new game someplace that isn't inhospitable? I just wanted to play a reformed pagan religion. :sigh:

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 28, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hreinhold posted:

Remember that when CK2 was released it didn't contain India, the Mali region and the Old Gods bookmark, so probably more than half the available characters were Christian.

Ah, that makes more sense. That makes me hopeful they'll make a mod to include central and saharan africa, but it's probably pointless because of all the goddamn desert. :argh:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Alt+Tab, mute Crusader Kings 2, open Windows Media Player.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes I listen to documentaries in the background because of the ridiculous load times, and then I watched a video of gameplay on youtube to learn how to be a badass viking and I saw how fast time was passing in his game. My computer sucks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Host invasions are dumb. I was just about ready to make a move to claim England with 15,000 men, and all of a sudden, this stack of 30k + shows up and takes it over. Now as King with Englands levy, he's pushing 40k. Fuckin lame. And the dude also had a claim on my kingdom, but luckily I was able to assassinate him before he could push it.

Also, does anyone know why CK2+ is making my game crash within 5 years of gametime? I can't advance long enough without the game crashing to possibly play a long term save with it, and now that I've gone back to vanilla, I miss all the convenient little add ons. Especially when I'm looking at options to press a claim, and I no longer have the "will/will not become your vassal" thing listed.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It is when you're just spamming marriages to duchys you want, so when you go to declare war, there's 15 options listed. It's easy to just go down the list and hover over each one in a row. It's a lot different when you're like wait a minute, who the hell is this person? You can do it without loving it up, but it's really inconvenient.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rumda posted:

That's just your luck I've had attempt event fire before all the auto invited plotters have officially joined.

Same. Once you crack 400%, it's basically going to be the next pop up.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, unlanded courtiers usually make up half of my council. I bring in every genius I can by marrying off people who aren't related to me, or marrying everyone matrilineally, or bring in people who already have 20+ in something. Pretty easy to get a council member with 20 in their stat in every position that way. My court is goddamn packed.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have the game open right now, but somewhere in the shift-tab interface, there's a way to re-enable that pop-up that shows the CD key. It was really easy to find iirc. That was just a few weeks ago, so it should be there for you.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I logged on for ten minutes to download CK2+. Didn't read a single post. :shrug:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

Having someone of your dynasty holding land outside your realm does not do anything useful for you by way of making the land yours.

What do you mean by this? You can press the claim of a dynasty member who isn't landed, and he'll still become your vassal if the title is lower than yours. I do it all the time. Find a little unmarried girl who has an inheritable claim to something you want, betroth her to a family member, wait til they have a child, and then as soon as he/she's born, kill the mother and start assassinating the claim holder until you get a woman or a regency. Doesn't even matter if the kid dies after you win the war. Still your vassal.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

Revolts are a great way to snap up land if you're on the ball--weak claims are pressable during a claim revolt (or any major revolt? Can't recall off the top of my head) and if you time it right you can walk right in with not a very big army and trounce your hapless victim whose levies are already depleted by fighting off the revolt.

Once in a while a well-placed stabbing that places a 2 Diplomacy, Slothful, Craven, Cruel guy on the throne can open up a lot of opportunities for you.

Are you talking about peasant revolts or faction revolts? If you mean faction revolts, how are you supposed to do this? I've tried declaring war during a revolt a few times, and the revolters always win the revolt before I can get 100% and the war ends inconclusively. I don't know how you're supposed to do it, since they always seem to get the credit for the occupation if you're both on the same tile, and if they wiped the army of the liege they're revolting against, they start off with like a 40% war score head start, which you can't make up since there's no one else to fight.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I prefer high. Especially if you plan on having a vassal republic, which you should. You really limit their ability to grow into a cash cow if you won't let them go to war for cities.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've never tried this because I've been burned a bunch pressing claims for people outside my dynasty so hard that I don't even do it anymore, but just to clarify, you're saying you could basically find any claimant on a duchy you want (if you're a king), invite him to court, grant him a mayor spot for some new city you built, then press his claim on a duchy, and he'll be your vassal? What if he's a vassals vassal?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Yes, that's how it works

You can also breed them with dynasty members and then press the inherited claim, if the claim is inheritable

The only real downside is having someone control a county on one side of the empire and a city on the other side and eventually loving up the de jure dutchies

Yeah, but that takes a long goddamn time, because if you find a claimant who's older than 16, they're going to be married, so you have to assassinate their husband/wife, which often is only going to get one or two weak rear end people who you can pay enough to invite to the plot. So the only way to really be sure is to snap them up on a betrothal before their 16, and then wait for them to have kids and die. The way he's talking about, you could pick a duchy you want, and be pressing a claim on it the same day. You could expand so much quicker.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ImPureAwesome posted:

Ok so if I can't land females, then the claim is relatively useless to me no matter what I would have done right?. Thanks for the help guys

If it's inheritable and she's married to someone in your dynasty, it's not. Just press the claim of the kid when she dies of X causes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I swear, 3/4 of the start positions in this game are complete dead ends.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a change to the stupid host mechanic in the cards? I just got slammed by the son of this duke I won a claim on several years ago, who somehow managed to raise an army the size of my entire de jour empire. Pretty neat having an automatic "you lose the game" event with no basis in reality that shows up constantly. Literally the only duchy I have managed to press a claim on so far. The kingdom the duchy was a part of has half my levy and just lost half of their counties to a sunni revolt, but evidently they have a courtier who has a force the size of the HRE on speed dial. I'm just save scumming now to delay the event because I'm tired of restarting when all my progress gets erased.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

I agree with this, the host mechanic is retarded and really just feels like a gently caress-you to the player from the developers.

It'd be different if you could take advantage of it. Like if he retook the duchy, or took all my poo poo, if I could somehow raise a massive force and invade him back, it wouldn't be so bad. But nope, you're hosed. Try again and expect different results.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Ted posted:

Alright...I just got back into this game after taking a long time off from playing it. I took a stab as Ireland because it would be a nice starter game and you have the chance to reunite a kingdom. I've done that, taking nine counties, but I've got a Gavelkind problem. The heir is a low-talent putz and his oldest brother is a putz, but the third son is 13+ in both military and stewardship. What good ways are there to get rid of the older two sons so he can have all of the land to himself instead of splitting it up three ways?

Why not switch to tanistry?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bum the Sad posted:

So ummm is this a game? I'm confused. My dad died and now I have two counties and umm nothing else to do but watch the clock tick by... I can't attack any body, I'm kind of lost.

Send your chancellor out to fabricate claims on counties you want, preferably counties that don't have a liege or allies. You can also go to the county or duchy page and click claimants to find some people who may have claims on things you want. Then just invite them, give them some land, and then press their claim. You'll probably want to unite your duchy first.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

monster on a stick posted:

Has anyone tried conquering the world as a papal vassal? You'd have to stay at Duke level and only have counts (which would be a pain with the Charlemagne release) but it would be an interesting import into EU4...

I took over Ireland as a papal vassal in my first game, not realizing that I'd never be able to create the kingdom. Ended up using a holy war as cover to declare independence.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Ted posted:

From what I can tell, in Tanistry the vassals would favor the older brothers. I could find out once the king has been in place for ten years.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure you can just bribe the poo poo out of the important vassals and they'll vote how you vote. Also is your 3rd son is the youngest, you can use ultrageniture or w/e for a generation.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ratpick posted:

Actually, if you already control them then Catholic MA should already be hovering very low. However, if the Bishops that control the Holy Sites are still Catholic they still get a 5% boost to MA from them. So, make sure each of the Holy Sites also has a Cathar controlling it. In addition to that you should just Holy War all your Catholic neighbors, each lost holy war is like -2 MA for a decade or so.

It's -3 for 20 years if it's universal. Playing as east african jews, and I've been holy warring the poo poo out of the miaphysites and monophysites. But I'm almost 100 years into the game, and I've only converted one county to Judaism despite my MA pushing 50 and the entire Nubian and Abyssinian kingdoms being controlled by Jews from top to bottom. :iiam: Now to figure out how to start making gains in Egypt and Sanaa. Come on failed jihads.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bort Bortles posted:

Thankfully in my game, which spawned the post about taking Finland first, I do not really want to be an emperor or to conquer that much land, and I am in the lowcountries so I am ignoring Finland. Traditionally, though, when I go for finland I do it before I reform or after I hit mil org tech 4.

You're ignoring Finland? Screw that, it's a duchy. Make it the merchant republic of Finland as your vassal. Owns.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You don't have to give them the county. Just give any mayor on the coast his de jure duchy as a king, and he'll form a vassal republic. County titles don't matter, because each of the 5 families will automatically take over a city on the coast. Some not even in the duchy. Make sure that the county the mayor is in has trade practices at least at 1 or they won't be able to start building trade posts. You can give it to a family member, but I prefer not to just because if you somehow get in line to inherit the republic, and the grand mayor dies, it deletes itself and you have to start all over. Doesn't really benefit you to have it as a family member either. He'll still join factions and poo poo if he hates you. Just reserve one of the +15 honorary titles for the grand mayor, and make sure if one vassal has a positive opinion of you, it's him. I usually have my chancellor improving relations with him more often than I have him fabricating claims.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Inside Outside posted:

My game as the Republic of Essex might already be over. Somehow a feudal vassal of mine won the election despite my house being the expected successor and the feudal lord being old and incapable. I have no claims that will make Essex a republic again, the best I can do is fight for my independence. Now that I think about it, I still have six centuries or so until the end date, I might as well try to think of this as a setback rather than the end. Still though, I thought feudal leaders were disqualified from elections? I'm guessing it's a bug of some kind, because three of the five great houses in my republic went extinct when my old ruler died.

I think there's a few weird bugs with republics going on right now. For some reason, if my character dies, and I lose the election for grand mayor, my game ends and it gives me the "You have become a republic, game over" error that you get when you don't have the republic DLC installed. The person from the opposing family who got elected just throws away his rich people clothes and becomes a standard duke. I've been countering it by restarting from my last Jan 1st autosave should my character die, and pouring money into campaign funds. Repeat until my character lives long enough for my family to win the election upon the death of the doge. It's really not hard to win the election with anyone should you spend 2 years dedicated to campaign funds, especially with how lovely the AI families are at growing. I'm the strongest republic I've ever been already, dwarfing 1066 venice and amalfi, and I'm not even at the old gods start date.

My family owns every one of those trade zones. I have 15 trade posts to the second strongest family's 2. I also already have a maxxed out palace, and level 3 trade practices in my capital. Probably in the next doge's lifespan, I'll attempt independence. I'm bringing in 13 gold per month, which seems strangely low (my total trade zone is worth almost 1,000 gold, and my total trade post income is almost 180 per month. :iiam:), but the king is making less than 3, so whatever. After that, well, I have a lot of cities to seize. :getin: Eastern France has completely collapsed, and the Abassids are loving ridiculous. They could probably form the kingdom of abyssinia, and nubia isn't far behind, along with their standard domination of the middle east and north africa. About ready to start chipping into southern Spain from the looks of it. The Byzantines have also spread really far east and west though, so the jihads and crusades should be fun to watch.

If anyone is wondering how I set this up, the province on the southern side of the river in the middle of my territory is named Breda. At the charlemagne start date, the person who holds it or his liege has two duchy titles. Just granted one to the mayor of the city in Breda on Jan 1st, quick saved, and loaded the game as the grand mayor. You can start a republic day one with any double duke who has a county on the coast.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 17, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No republic fixes? :sad:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Where the hell is the option to create/upgrade stone hillforts? Every one of my economic techs is at least 1, but the only holdings I or drat near anyone else have are temples. I can't build new holdings as a tribe, and all the temples just show your standard church upgrades. Shouldn't I have the tribal version of a barony, not the tribal version a church, at least in my capital? Not seeing anyone else ask this, so hopefully my game isn't bugged. I was trying to figure out how to switch to feudalism before...well

So hosed. Created the empire of scandinavia with my last character. When he died, it split up 3 kingdoms, the empire, and the fylkarite. Not sure exactly why the kingdom of svibjod became independent with the new viceroyalty thing when Norway stayed my vassal. :iiam: Also lolfrance. The Umayyad's came up and took over Aquitane, so the pope called a crusade, and then the teutonic order took over. Then the Umayyad turned into the Fezzid which I'd never seen before.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dunatis Ishmael posted:

Stone Hillforts are the level 4 upgrade of forts in your actual tribe building list.

Should be

Hillfort
Town
Shipbuilder
those 4 prestige buildings that probably have names but gently caress them.

How do I get to that page?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ray and Shirley posted:

Just click on the image of the tribal holding itself. You'll then see a list of all sorts of things you can upgrade - some costing gold some costing prestige. The hillfort is, I think, at the top of the list and costs gold to upgrade.

please tell me you don't mean it's supposed to be here.

edit: I FIGURED IT OUT.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 19, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I got it now. Never noticed that picture up there before. Thanks guys.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

Even if you haven't created kingdoms, it'll create them and give them to your kids. Best go create an empire within two or three generations.

This. Then your empire will split into like 4 pieces with you getting the empire title and the smallest piece when you die. Independence faction at 300% gently caress yessss

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm beginning to appreciate the charms of Ultimogeniture.

Well duh. It's far and away the best system. It just takes like 3 generations after forming a kingdom to meet the prerequisites for it. Even longer if you start as a tribe.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Rajas is the only main DLC I don't have. It'd be like paying 15 dollars for Abyssinia. Little piece of land that will be completely shut off by the Abassids to the west with a bunch of useless poo poo to the north that does nothing when you own it except ensure that the Mongols come straight through you. Western Europe has got to be like a year long trek for an invasion if you manage to get moving before the Byzantine/Abassids shut you out. And even if you make it, their bases of power are a hell of a lot closer to that stuff than yours. Seems like it would get old fast.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Ted posted:

Well little did I know that once you create a Kingdom you can't change succession laws (hi Gavelkind) unless Crown Authority is high or absolute :suicide:

Also, how the gently caress does a mechanism like Gavelkind decide to take five of your seven directly-ruled provinces away and split them up among the second and third sons, especially when one of the two already has a county of his own?

They vary depending on the succession law. There's one or two that kick in at medium, but the "X gets all the stuff" ones generally take high or absolute. And gavelkind is actually an old celtic word which translates to "gently caress you, that's why."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Automated Posting posted:

So I've been playing tribals and I noticed something. I set my marshal, steward and chaplain to produce event troops and while the steward's and chaplain's events fire at a good clip, I haven't seen the marshal's raiders pop up even once. Is this just the RNG at work or is it potentially bugged? Has anyone gotten raiders to spawn?

I took over half of Russia with the Scandinavian empire with solely event troops. I got them to fire fairly often, and they're pretty big if you grow fast.

Does anyone have any tips for raiding? I barely ever do it because my personal levies cost so much to maintain that if I send them out, I barely make any money overall, and raising my vassals and sending them clear to England is pretty scary because I seem perennially in danger of poo poo popping off at home. Seems the stars rarely align where I think OK, I can go raiding now.

• Locked thread