Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Slowly realizing this DLC is more war based than I had originally thought. :shepicide:

As someone who hate hate HATES the war mechanics in these games, how the gently caress do I do anything war related? I'm tired of reading the Relm screen for the opponent's levy size only to have a loving large as doom stack conquer me. I was playing as a Zoroastrian before I rage-quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

The Moon Monster posted:

How interesting is playing as a Zoroastrian? I've always liked saying Zoroastrian.

I wouldn't know, I keep getting swarmed by all the Muslims around me.

I'm really starting to regret this purchase. I usually have fun with this game but somehow... I'm getting really angry at this game now, even just Alt-F4ing in the middle of it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

gfanikf posted:

So I'm installing the game and I was wondering with all the religious options is it possible to try and rule as a Jew?

Nope, you'll have to wait for CK2+ like everyone else.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Demiurge4 posted:

So Wiz's CK2+ thread on the Paradox forum says its compatible with all DLC, I take it it's not actually compatible with Old Gods and he just hasn't gotten around to updating it yet?

The DLC literally came out yesterday. And considering that he now works for PDX give it a week or two.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Okay, so the Pagan religion in Ruler Designer isn't set for holy sites, making it CTD if you check the religion tab.

There goes another Irish pagan ruler. :negative:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Darkrenown posted:

"Prepared Invasion" via diplomacy with a non-pagan.

Is that playing as a non-pagan or are the West African pagans not counted as pagans for the Prepared Invasion?

I'm trying to prepare an invasion on the Muslims in the North, starts with a U. I can't even siege their places with my own men and no mercenaries to help either.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Are the West African Pagans incapable of doing planned invasions? Because I can't seem to find the button on the diplomacy screen. All I can do is one county conquests that I can't even fathom to win with the doomstacks these Muslims are throwing at me. :negative:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Can someone please screencap where the gently caress the "Planned Invasion" button is? I'm looking everywhere for it and can't find it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
With 2 years of DLC hopefully well see something that expands on your court and their abilities (maybe some events for them too).

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
If I hadn't started a new game with the Girl Power mod. :negative:

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to kill off my super-viking's sons right now since my first-born daughter inherited both his genius and naturally high martial skill.

Is it possible to add a secret choice to an event message? I kinda want to add one to the "Your child asks where babies come from." event so you can answer "The battlefield." if you have the "Born on the Battlefield" trait.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
code:
# Daddy, where do children come from?
character_event = {
	id = 1901
	desc = "EVTDESC1901"
	picture = "GFX_evt_child_play"

max_age = 6

is_triggered_only = yes

trigger = {
		NOT = { trait = trusting }
		father = { is_alive = yes }
		NOT = { personality_traits = 5 }

}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		days = 1
		modifier = {
			trait = clubfooted
			factor = 1.1
		}
		modifier = {
			trait = harelip
			factor = 1.1
		}
		modifier = {
			trait = hunchback
			factor = 1.1
		}
		modifier = {
			trait = lisp
			factor = 0.9
		}
		modifier = {
			trait = stutter
			factor = 0.9
		}
		modifier = {
			trait = fair
			factor = 1.05
		}
		modifier = {
			trait = ugly
			factor = 1.05
		}
		modifier = {
			trait = dwarf
			factor = 1.05
		}		
		modifier = {
			trait = genius
			factor = 10
		}
		modifier = {
			trait = quick
			factor = 2
		}	
		modifier = {
			trait = slow
			factor = 0.5
		}
		modifier = {
			trait = imbecile
			factor = 0.05
		}
		modifier = {
			trait = inbred
			factor = 0.1
		}
		modifier = {
			trait = strong
			factor = 1.05
		}
		modifier = {
			trait = weak
			factor = 2.0
		}
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA1901"
		hidden_tooltip = {
			father = {
				character_event = {
					id = 38201
					days = 3
				}
			}
		}
	}
}
So, I can't quite grasp how event coding works. How would one add a hidden choice available only if you have a certain trait, (ie, the Born on the Battlefield trait)?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Alright, cool, thanks guys. I added it into the code, now to see if it works.

I can just call event 38201 from the console, right? Or do I need to trigger the child's part first?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Schizotek posted:

Would anyone be interested in a Spartan themed minimod for custom rulers? Titles for hellenic rulers of greece, etc. Getting in on the ground floor of this shizz,

That would be cool. Maybe have a special 300 Spartan unit retinue for Byzantine appear if Persia declares war on them?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
What are you talking about, Ireland is always perfect for every type of game. I've won as a Christian, a Muslim, a merchant and once I beat this game, a pagan.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Cool, picked up the Norse portraits and units for less than a $1.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
In my Irish Viking game every young girl that is captured during a raid ends up lesbian when they grow up. I'm starting to wonder if my cruel lesbian daughter is to blame for this. :gay:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Lawman 0 posted:

I was expecting something special for sacrificing the freaking Pope. :sigh:

The Metalocalypse has begun. :black101:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Coolguye posted:

Checking through diffs:
Gets rid of the negative opinion modifiers men have for female rulers/heirs (seems dumb to me, these opinion modifiers are definitely historically accurate)

Still the dumbest poo poo ever if you're true cognatic. People shouldn't give a gently caress at that point.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
If East and West Francia are reformed into the Francia Empire does that mean the Holy Roman Empire will never appear?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

nutranurse posted:

You're in luck, some modder has agreed with you!

edit: That's just their first try at slathering whitening cream all over the CK2 portraits. He, and a few other forumites, have agreed that they are too pale and will be setting them out to tan in the sun for a bit. The next version of the mod will see to that.

I love how someone starts complaining about how some of the portraits have black eyebrows with brown hair, stating that it's not natural. As someone with naturally black eyebrows and brown hair this is funny and sad at the same time. :gbsmith:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Geokinesis posted:

What is the a minimum age on prisoners able to be sacrificed at a blot?

I had a couple of imprisoned children but I couldn't sacrifice them.

Pretty sure it's 16.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Anticheese posted:

Apparently Paradox is a book publisher now, and published CKII fiction is A Thing.

Welp, time to start my mega campaign. Gotta get a lot of material for the book series.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Dezztroy posted:

Is there really no way to join your vassals' wars? I find it weird that I can't pick a side when one of my Dukes' vassals rebels. Surely that must have happened in real life, right?

As there's no real centralized government, they aren't really your lands to deal with, so no.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

ulmont posted:

Surprised they moved up from the 1399 start of EU3.

The 1399 start was added in DLC, kinda like 876 was added in CKII.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Flesnolk posted:

Just in general it'd be nice to see the AI not actively be as stupid as they can about playing. And maybe a way to affect how often peasants revolt, it's really tiresome to have what feels like three a month. It's probably closer to three-five a year, but still.

Also, I think I found the logical extreme of ruler interbreeding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkWeMvrNiOM

Life finds a way.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Playing as an unlanded character would be great for a Romani DLC. You could travel across Europe with your caravan and tribesmen and battle counts and dukes who want you out of their land. Maybe you could even take the land from them and start your own Romani empire. :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Cease to Hope posted:

None of these grand unlanded character things sound very much like CK2.

Don't pull the "It's called Europa Universalis" card here. We can already play as Muslims and Pagans (and pretty soon, Jews as well) so I think Crusader Kings has already strayed from it's original intent.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Cease to Hope posted:

According to the last Reddit AMA, they are focused on EU4 and CK2 DLC, with an unspecified game that is not Vicky 3 tentatively planned for 2014.

If Star Trek: Into Darkness taught me anything, it's that when someone says "It's not X" it most definitely is. :allears:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
All this talk of accidental incest reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVuQ-juC654

Remember kids, just because it's accidental doesn't make it alright.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
We probably wont hear anything until after EUIV's DLC is released in January.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
So I just got a new computer today (yay Christmas) and I'm slowly reinstalling my Steam games. However, for some reason CKII won't show any of my DLC anymore. It says I bought them but the launcher comes up blank. It's a new computer and a fresh install of CKII (twice even because I tried to follow someone else's solution to no avail) but I can't figure out why I can't use any of my DLC.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

AdjectiveNoun posted:

This happened to me, and though I have a mac, so the situation might be different, I solved it by checking CK II's Properties in Steam (Right-Click it in your library and a menu will show up, Properties is at the bottom), and de-selecting 'Enable Steam Community In-Game'. Hope that works for you.

Nah, I got Windows 8 (:shepicide:). People keep saying to download old DirectX updates (which I can't do since my version is already better) or do a complete reinstall of Steam and CKII but that doesn't help either. Hell, most of the time people seem to just have the problem magically correct itself. :downs:

I'm starting to suspect it might be the Norton Internet Security trial that's blocking it somehow but I can't figure out where the hell to go to exempt Steam from being blocked.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Oh what do you know, I can't even run the game. I hit "Start Game" and it never starts up.

EDIT: I had to manually update DirectX with patches from 2009 in order to get it to work. gently caress Windows 8.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 25, 2013

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Eimi posted:

After playing around with Ck2+ I wish a mod like Ancient Religions was updated to have the religions, as that's the only thing I like about Ck2+. Well that and the ability to plan feasts/hunts/fairs. I guess back to just playing with VIET or something.

Ancient Religions is a mod on the Paradox forums, I think they're about to release their latest patch.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Eimi posted:

What I mean is AR is just Hellenism and like parts of celtic. CK2+ has a lot more, like Egyptian. If Ancient Religions is updating I'll check and see what they added. I just know I like that part of CK2+ and hate...like everything else. Well some of the titles are cool, like being able to actually be Pharaoh. Clearly the answer is to just play more vikings til then. Try and start as norse and take over Perm for the best flag. (Bears rock.)

Ancient Religions is made by the same guy but I think he also works with the CKII+ team and puts some of his work there first.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Fuligin posted:

And this isn't even getting into the totally unnecessary "Ruin" characters, the superfluous "personal decision" menu, the crippled wildlings and ugggh I wish I didn't get so frustrated at modders sometimes.

I kinda liked that mechanic, if only so there can be "colonization" in CKII (for ancient history mods like Diadochi Kings or that 615 BC mod that's in the works).

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

GoatLord posted:

They should just code in a Lear succession type where your lands are handed out based on your children's Diplomacy/Intrigue scores and children with the Honest trait get banished from the realm start a chain event that ends with your entire kingdom destroyed from the inside out.

Fixed that for you.

Actually, I'd love to see some Shakespeare styled events in the game. It'd give me a reason to play as Denmark at least.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

nutranurse posted:

Modding succession laws is all locked down behind hard coding, right?

Looks like Paradox hired someone to deal with modding for CKII and EUIV. Says one of his plans is to help bring everything into the modder's hands.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
If anything, there should be a lot more deaths in landed merc/knight lands. These guys should be constantly fighting with one another for control since they don't have to deal with feudal concepts all that much.

I hope the next minor DLC gives republics and landed mercs an overhaul. I would really like to play as a non-merchant republic someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

But how would you get Habsburgs ruling half the realms in Europe?

Have it tied to prestige. Maybe low prestige members of your dynasty break away and try to form their on royal name. These cadet branches could act as both allies and rivals.

• Locked thread