Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

rt4 posted:

Is anyone else here playing on Linux? Since the update to 1.10.1, the game has suddenly become unplayably choppy.

I haven't noticed any new choppiness, just the usual amount from running on btrfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

gently caress the Karlings.
That is all.

I got lucky in my game when the karlings got blobbed into Carpathia and I married a daughter to the second in line for the Carpathian crown. 9 months and 3 stabbings later and I could name a successor that would hold 3 empires.

After assisting said heir in putting down an independence revolt my king was killed when a tavern exploded, leaving me playing as an ugly child with terrible stats.

Another 5 year revolt later and I was holding 3 empires.

I then changed crown laws, so plotting began, but was cut short when Fylkir Bo died in battle, and his genius aunt of the same age took over.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Oh no! It's supposed to be for the latest version, 2.01, and I don't see the broken decisions. Hmm. About demanding religious conversions, I'll see about that. Someone else reported it, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing that since I'm not entirely sure if it's based on events or some hardcoded thing. I'll figure it out!

Also, it completely crashes for me as soon as I start the game after picking a character. My only data point is that the back-trace after the segmentation fault handler mentions trying to get the succession type when trying to compute the elected successor.

If I can get it to work, I'll report back how to fix it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm on Linux.
EDIT2: There's a lot of using \ as the path separator instead of /, but fixing that hasn't been enough.
EDIT3: Current hypothesis is that it's file name case sensitivity and a history file isn't being used.

Edison was a dick fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 1, 2013

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Mailer posted:

Zealous is good in some cases and bad in others, but it's generally an decent thing to have. Keep that teacher.

While it's often a good trait to have, it's a bad thing for your educator to have, since they tend to take the options that give piety, rather than confer a useful trait. If you've ever educated a child yourself and wondered why the "Thank God for [Name]'s virtues!" option existed, since it had good odds of awful traits, it's to model zealous idiots who put their own devotion ahead of their job.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Mayor Dave posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a starting location for "It's Better to be Emperor"? I seem to be unable to pick a count with the wherewithal to pursue a bloody genocidal campaign.

Pick Harald Fairhair's scheming uncle. 50% of my games have ended up with him assassinating Harald, the other 50% either have the uncle lose a faction and be executed, or Harald plots to revoke the uncle's County.

It's a roll of the dice as to whether it'll work, due to random stats and courtiers, but the last time I started, I have 150% plot power immediately, after which you get the Duchy and you can use the ambition to be king of Norway to repeatedly use the Subjugation CB to get the rest of the way there.

You should have one more subjugation after that, which I recommend going straight for Sweden with, since they tend to blob up to kingdom level quickly, and if you can get there first, you don't have to worry too much about gavelkind. Also, the alternative would be Denmark, which depending on how well the war against Ælla went, you could end up having to fight all the sons of Lodbrok.

You should have enough momentum at this point to do County conquests on Finland, while fabricating against Denmark.

Don't create duchies, you need to save up gold and uncreated duchies to have enough prestige and loyal dukes when your King dies, since he starts out pretty old; but this is often a blessing, since it allows you another subjugation of Denmark.

Try to take the Norse holy site in Holland when possible, it's nearly impossible to reform with only 3, since lose 1 holy war and you need a hell of a lot of raiding and county conquests to come back from that. If the Karlings implode for long enough, try to take the holy site in Brunswick.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Alectai posted:

So, I've managed to get all of De Jure Norway and Finland, and the only thing between me and forming the Empire of Scandanvia now that I've reformed the Norse and converted most of the future Empire is Sweden, who I can't seem to successfully slip a member of my dynasty into any places of inheritence, because the king has no living children, and his heir has nothing but sons (And me without any daughters to try and matrilineally marry and then start stabbing dudes).

This is one of the reasons why I avoid reforming the faith until after I have the Empire, the Subjugation CB is the only way to effectively take over your Norse neighbours in a timely fashion. The other reason being that if you reform you take the pagan attrition in Finnish lands and are usually too far away from having sufficient military organisation to negate it.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

The Nozzle posted:

I don't know if the Roman Empire tag overrides the Byzantine one, if it doesn't then they should be able to create the empire on their own (or you could switch over and do it).

The Roman and Byzantine empires can't coexist. Nor can the Byzantine and Latin empires, but Roman and latin might, I'd have to check the creation conditions.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

Assuming 'Strange' in Elder Kings means Secret Vampire, it's way, way too common. Half of Tamriel seems to have become vampires. All my children are vampires, and they keep trying to vampire me! My wife is a vampire! My neighbors are vampires, their neighbors are vampires, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Akatosh himself was a vampire. It's a vampire party, and I'm the only one horrified by it!

Not all 'Strange' is Secret Vampire. 3 traits appear as 'Strange':

1. strange
2. secret_vampire_trait
3. secret_werewolf_trait/secret_werebeast_trait

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

DStecks posted:

What exactly does creating the Duchy of Venice do, as a Most Serene Republic?

Not much, it just exists so that you can still be the republic of venice if you have a King as a liege.
However, you need to pretty much game over to lose the kingdom title in the first place.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Mondlicht posted:

I married a Princess who had really high Intrigue and then made her the Spymaster, she died from illness though. :( Rest in peace my beloved secret agent wife.

Unless your wife is more than twice as good at intrigue than your next best vassal, you're losing out on your realm's total intrigue score, since you get half your wife's stats and all of the appropriate councillor's stat if they are different characters.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Shogunate posted:

So even doing campaign funding is basically useless until your guy is the only 60 year old fart left? That's bollocks.

Try playing the intrigue game, rather than the economy game. Plot to stab every patrician family until there's a child in line, then move onto the other families.

I had a successful merchant republic game going where I was the only viable family, since all the other families had children as heirs, hence 0 score. If you have high enough plot power, instead of stopping when they're all children, keep stabbing one family and their replacements. New Patrician families get 300 gold to start with, if you can plot kill them quickly enough it becomes yours, it turned into my primary source of income in one game.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

DStecks posted:

Is the birth of Norman culture a hard-coded event thing, or is it something moddable? Because I was just thinking that a neat concept for a mod would be the possibility for new, ahistorical cultures to arise.

The reason why this occured to me is that in my Navarra game, some time in the early 1100's, the HRE gained control of Greece. It's now 1320, and most of Greece is now culturally German. I think it would be interesting for some kind of new fusion culture to emerge, like it did in Normandy. Each one would obviously have to be hard-coded, but would this even be possible to begin with?

The Norman culture conversion is as moddable as most events in this game. If you look at events/oldgods_culture_conversion.txt:

code:
# Province adopts Norman culture
province_event = {
        id = TOG.2003
        desc = EVTDESC_TOG_2003
        picture = GFX_evt_viking_throneroom_oldgods
        border = GFX_event_normal_frame_diplomacy

trigger = {
                OR = {
                        culture = frankish
                        culture = breton
                        culture = occitan
                }
                owner = {
                        top_liege = { culture = norse }
                }
                NOT = { year = 1150 }
        }

mean_time_to_happen = {
                months = 1200
        }

option = {
                name = EVTOPTA_TOG_2003
                trigger = {
                        NOT = {
                                owner = { culture = norman }
                        }
                }
                culture = norman
        }
        option = {
                name = EVTOPTB_TOG_2003
                trigger = {
                        owner = { culture = norman }
                }
                culture = norman
        }
}
Before the year 1150, any counties where the top liege is norse, where the culture of the county is Breton (Brittany and Cornwall), Frankish (France) or Occitan (Aquitane), will change culture to Norman, with the mean time of occurring being 100 years.

There's similar rules in events/culture_conversion.txt for Norman rulers with Anglo-Saxon counties converting them to the English culture, with the exception that it only happens in the de-jure borders of England, it has to be at least 1100 and the conversion rate is accelerated by being ruled by a character with high learning.

The primary goal of my current game is to become the English Yngling Norse Emperor of Brittania, so I did a bit of research in the game files as to how I would go about it.

Edison was a dick fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 17, 2014

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Torrannor posted:

You are the Fylkir, right? Note that Great Holy Wars can only be called if both crusades AND jihads have been unlocked.

So you could unlock holy wars for pagans by taking both a Christian holy site and a Muslim one?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

(In case you're wondering why Cathar, I read that it's possible to actually have a heretical religion supplant a proper one if you manage to beat their Moral Authority so I'm giving it a try.

It's not high Moral Authority, it's having the majority of territories converted to Cathar.
I had a fun game of being the Byzantine empire, mending the schism then converting to Cathar, since all the Catholic heresies become Orthodox heresies after mending the schism, plus you get the Orthodox holy order.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Jolan posted:

I'm currently in my first Byzantine game ever, and thanks to liberal use of holy war (and some stabbing to get the Muslim empires to fall apart/to get around the truce timer) and a claim fabrication on Rome, I was set to mend the schism. What I didn't know, however, was that it turns nearly all Catholics into Orthodox overnight. So now I still need to conquer half of Italy before I can start using the Roman Empire CB (if I understood how that works correctly), and no holy war CB to fall back on anymore in that area. Crud.
You can't holy war catholics as orthodox anyway. I just fabricated claims.

quote:

Worst of all, there seems to be only a single Cathar guy in my entire game, and while he's in my Empire somewhere, I didn't have a good dynastic wife for him and the wards I've given him haven't turned out Cathar. Luckily, my emperor suddenly became Iconoclast shortly before dying, so I've got two or three Iconoclast dynasty members running around. Now to put them on the throne...

I had my random cathar vassal educate my heir, and once I was him I raised opinions enough to demand my vassals convert. The majority turned cathar in 1 generation.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

I'm nearly there for the conversion, 1 more lifetime and it'll be the right time for Anglo-Saxon -> English conversion.

I started out as a Yngling rather than Nantes though, and expanded my way out, being careful to cultivate the Norman culture.
Keeping my vassals happy is going to be a bitch, since Norse -> Norman is a culture group change, so all my Scandinavian vassals hated me.

This is going to be a problem later, since after English happens, I'll be converting Norman -> English, which will be yet another culture group shift, so even converting all the existing vassals to Norman wouldn't be enough.

Add to that I've been on Gavelkind for 200 years, inheritance is pretty stressful; I had to create a bunch of kingdoms just to keep eveyone happy for 1 generation.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Ratpick posted:

So, yeah, you can have the Norse to Norman French culture flip event without having to touch French soil. It'll also make the imminent Norman Invasion of England much easier, because you'll already be there in the British Isles. Well, time to try this again, probably as Ivar the Boneless this time.

Ivar is also a good choice because he can't culture flip to Norwegian, Swedish or Danish. I don't think those cultures are valid for converting Breton/Frankish/Occitan to Norman.

SeaTard posted:

Try it as Jorvik, slightly easier imo. Grab East Anglia first, and then Northumberland. Spend a few years pillaging while your levies build back up, and then you can slowly work your way south, taking England. Richer than Scotland, and I think it has better starting tech levels too.

The issue I see with this, is that you've got 200 years of faffing about before the Anglo-Saxon -> English event can fire, so you've got to hold off on expanding into Anglo-Saxon lands, otherwise they could end up converted to Norse or Norman well before the event could fire.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Well, since you're trying to change the succession law I'm guessing "wait until you can get Crown Authority up to medium" isn't a good answer, so... start stabbing motherfuckers who are at war? You can't tell them to stop or join one side or anything direct.

This tactic was the only way I could ever have peace in my realm. Not thinking about doing this is how I ended up 300 years in and still on Gavelkind.

Having made the change to elective though, I nearly lost everything, since I had finally arranged to have an English heir, but he was too young for anyone to vote for him in the Empire.

I set my vote anyway, assuming he'd grow up by the time my Emperor died.

Cue two generations of unrest, since the Kingdoms and Empire went to different people.

I only held the empire together by having the most advanced demesne in the world and stabbing the leaders of independence revolts; 20 years before the territory becomes de-jure part of the Empire.

In this time the English heir had his titles usurped and died of illness.

3 generations later I finally have another English son, and this time people are voting for him as the Emperor, but getting back the Kingdoms of England and Brittany is proving difficult.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Lord Tywin posted:

The Elder Kings mod have added Mages as a unit so I imagine that they should be able to add a new Elephant unit and it would make more sense since there's a pretty big difference between war elephants and heavy cavalry.

They did that by renaming Horse Archers. Unit types are hard-coded.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Oh god, the "rebels flocking to their banner" event is horrific when vassal kingdoms are rebelling. The rebelling alliance of France, Bavaria, Italy, Aquataine, Castille, and Scotland just got 126,000 event troops.

Don't worry about it, the AI is notoriously awful at managing large armies, hence why the Mongol doom stacks are scripted to have no attrition.
The AI will end up attritioning their massive doom stack into a 20k stack very easily.

I had success keeping my army near enough that the AI would prefer to attack my army than assault holdings.

quote:

Will an independence revolt end if my ruler dies?

I don't think so, worse if they win, you may not get a claim on them to take it back.

quote:

I've got the money to diplo-stab the enemy leader a few times, but those always seem to be a crapshoot with an even chance of killing my own ruler via counterstabs.

I've never been counterstabbed, but stabbing the leader is a stop-gap at best unless you're somehow able to change everyone's opinions, since they keep the event troops and the next time they want to start a faction they will hit the threshold quickly and it will all start again, though possibly with different vassals.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

SeaTard posted:

Tanistry is guaranteed to keep the crown in your dynasty, which is why I love it. You usually will flip between two branches of the family, which allows you to tutor your potential heirs.

Tanistry is guaranteed to create powerful claimaints on the crown. It may keep the crown in your family, but if you have neightbours you can still lose the territory to invasion.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

The Karling clusterfuck in the 867 start has its advantages. As the Byzantines I took Italy, Lotharangia, Bavaria and Germany through stabbing enough Karling heirs and rulers that the king of Italy held all the titles, marrying his daughters and killing him.
I was expecting just to get claims, but my son ended up on the throne.
One civil war and infanticide later and I now hold 5 kingdoms.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

That sounds like it would cost a ridiculous amount of money, especially at the start of the game.

Yes, all of my money for at least 20 years, haven't checked the date.
I had to raise feudal taxes, get a good steward on collecting taxes, kick out the Jews a couple of times and imprison then ransom uppity dukes to manage it.

It also helped that I put the Ecumenical Patriarch on researching cultural tech, since he would frequently fire "Heretical Find", but since he's a holder of a religious title, he's not eligible for conversion, so he kept trying to convert me to Orthodoxy.

This effectively gave me free ransom money, since there's no opinion malus to imprisoning him.
He's not as wealthy as the pope though, so sometimes I took the free +20 opinion for releasing a King-tier vassal.

I also became the commander of the Varangian Guard through inheritance shenannigans to suppliment my retinues.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

I don't see what people are complaining about, there's ugly faces in every pack. It's unrealistic for every character to be a portrait of beauty.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Orv posted:

Did they 'fix' creating merchant republics out of thin air? It's still mayor -> county - duchy, right? Trying to create one in Agder and I'm screwing something up but I'm not sure what.

Heh, nope. I accidentally created one by giving a castrated character a coastal duchy. For some reason it doesn't appear to check against city or duchy titles, so the result of trying to give every title to him was he got all the Cities, making him a mayor, failed to give him any of the counties, then gave him the duchy, making him the head of a merchant republic.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

A couple of useful bits of information I got from the game files:
  1. You can only subjugate other Indian rulers in the same culture group. Northern India is Indo-Aryan, Southern India is Dravidian, so if you start as the large Jain nation, you effectively can't use the Subjugation CB either, but you're protected from Subjugation from Northern India.
  2. You can convert to any religion by taking a county of that religion, making it your capital, and paying a piety cost. 500 if it's in the same religious group; 1000 if it isn't.
    If you can find a way to relocate your capital more than once, you can defeat the asserted once per lifetime conversion limitation.

Also, I'm finding it difficult to accumulate Piety as a Hindu, I mis-judged the piety required, and barely formed the empire before it could be torn apart by Gavelkind.

Similarly, I also have a lot of pissed off vassals, just waiting to faction. I assume this is because of the increased depth of religious differences, though I may have just gotten too used to being a born in the purple augustus.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Jenner posted:

Cathar is pretty much the best religion because it lets women be relevant without having to install mods, etc. Also assholes can't throw money at the Pope then excommunicate you and call all their allies into war on you.

I have to wonder how much of this is just daydreaming by Paradox and how much is accurate considering, as far as I know, the Cathar heresy was utterly wiped out and all its holy texts destroyed.

Really hard playing as Cathar though, but I always have these really awesome women I can't do poo poo with otherwise.

Bogomilist and Messalian are similar options for the Orthodox and Nestorian religions, though they don't go as far as Cathar. You can have female priests, but not female councilors or cognatic succession.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Blarghalt posted:

RoI finally convinced me that I should try my hand at modding. Only just started, but I've got big plans.

Big plans.

Well, there are theories about common roots of the Norse and Indian religions, Vidar is supposably identifiable with Vishnu.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

My Magyars game got a bit weird.

I invaded Italy and the Byzantine Empire with my Hungary creation event troops. Then I decided Carpathia was a sucky empire, so I made Constantinople my capital, went Orthodox, then re-created the empire.

Then, because I fancied having the Augustus trait, I holy-warred for Tunis, Alexandria, Jerusalem and Antioch.

It's just a shame it's not possible to reform the religion, since I'm stuck on Gavelkind now. I set it to elective while I was Orthodox and raised crown authority to medium. Elective was removed during succession, but the medium crown authority stuck, so I can at least revoke infidel titles.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

I wish bastards weren't broken.

This is the best I've rolled on stats ever, and I'm not recognised as the father.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

double nine posted:

I can confirm that the Hunting_events.txt no longer has any entry with Add_trait = diligent, or remove_trait = craven, or the add_trait = ambitious; those events have disappeared into the ether. What's left (in terms of traits) is an event that adds kind, one that adds craven, various events that add wounded or maimed, and an event that adds cruel. To summarize: the only benefit to going on a hunt is a small amount of prestige, random courtier has his opinion changed, and the kind event. The cost/benefit of going hunting is vastly skewed towards <<don't do it>> at the moment.

I was curious and I had a copy of the pre RoI game files around, so here's a diff of the changes:

http://pastebin.com/0JNmedNf

The general changes are:
  • reformatting
  • most events are rarer
  • is_adult = yes is used rather than age = 16
  • opinion modifiers last 10 years, rather than 1 or 2
  • character modifiers that granted prestige over time, just grant the prestige directly
  • character modifiers that granted martial improvements grant the martial increase directly

More detailed analysis:
  • bloodlust for killing is a permanent +1 to martial, rather than a temporary modifier
  • the event that used to clear craven no longer fires for craven people and has a 5% chance of maiming, but gives a permanent +1 to martial 10% of the time
  • good hunting grounds may no longer grant dilligent, but it costs -15 gold rather than being 20% of your scaled wealth
  • a vassal boasting about their hunting prowess is impossible if they are content or humble, rather than having improved chances from being ambitious or proud
  • a vassal giving you the honour of the kill can no longer give you humble
  • master hunter gives a longer opinion bonus, but can't give ambitious

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

I would never disable this dlc if it were real.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Formed the Empire of India using the beta patch, it's just a shame it counted as modified so I didn't get the achievements.

I was a little disappointed that the de-jure assignment was only making your primary title's de-jure land India's, rather than all the other Indian Empires too.

It does seem a little bugged too. From the script files it looks like it should destroy the individual Empire titles:

code:
if = {
    limit = { has_landed_title = e_rajastan }
    activate_title = { title = e_rajastan status = no }
}
I ended up holding 4 Empire titles afterwards.

Also, unless I'm misunderstanding what active means, I shouldn't have needed to create all the Empires, since the other empires were not created at the time.

I also think there's something a little bugged with revoking Kingdoms, since there are Kingdoms I can't revoke because THOSE kingdoms have too low crown authority to allow revokation.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Koramei posted:

Oh how's the ironman save times with the beta patch?

Still noticeable. It felt faster just after updating, but that's no proof.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Nightblade posted:

The beta patch should be compatible with achievements. I got the one for holding the empires of Persia and Rajastan using the beta patch, although I did start that game before the patch.

It didn't for me, but it could be since I'm playing it on Linux. There's been issues with checksums being different on Linux before, and I commonly experienced the first digit of the checksum to change after starting the game and resigning.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Has anyone found a good post-RoI retinue guide? My pure steel-bow infantry often gets routed by armies of comparable size.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

ulmont posted:

This is how I usually play; I think it works pretty well.

Except you get an opinion malus for elective with non-dynasty vassals, negating the opinion bonus for having dynastic vassals in the first place.

quote:

When you have dozens of potential heirs to nominate and can always pick the 20+ diplo guy, civil wars aren't a problem anymore. Admittedly, it helps if you can get the inevitable permanent-revolt-on-an-island for the +50 relations boost.

You can't do that anymore, RoI removed that opinion bonus.

quote:

I have to try a game where I don't reform (so that all my pagan vassals are forced to keep breaking up their realms and can't build up to revolt) but go Tanistry (so that I get the best elective result).

I tried that when reforming the religion was bugged. You need to keep on top of your vassals, replacing those that convert. I found this manageable since I was briefly Orthodox, so I could create the Byzantine Empire and raise Crown Authority to Medium, so I could freely revoke duchies to get at the converted counts, and freely revoke the counts.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

I'm trying!

I've just got a castle shipyard so I have a whole 9 galleys, unfortunately Abyssinia is gobbling up the land to my east. I'm tempted to swear fealty and work my way up from the inside.

My tactic was to swear fealty immediately, just so I'm less likely to be declared on by the Muslims; then save up Military tech points for shipyards, gold for the purchase of said shipyards, and piety for the holy order. Once you have 10 boats, you can hire the holy order and take the southermost duchy of Arabia.

With a bit of luck, you can keep expanding into Arabia with the holy order, while the King of Abyssinia builds up his Kingdom there, such that combined you become powerful enough to be able to repel the Abbassid Caliph, when he inevitably becomes your neighbour.

I eventually gave up on my Scotora game, and instead played around as the Indians. By the time I had conquered the empire of Persia, the Kingdom of Mesopotamia and the Kingdom of Arabia, I was surprised to see that Scotora was still Nestorian, so I moved my capital and converted.

A difficult reign ensued, since the technology in Scotora was awful, though I managed to convert all my vassals easily enough, since I had built up a war-chest to bribe them with.

I was getting bored, but then the next generation had my Patriarch convert to Messalian, so I thought I'd give that a go.
The conversion is still ongoing, and I miss free excommunication, since it makes imprisoning difficult dukes so easy; but my ultimate goal is to worm my way into the successions of the Holy Roman and Byzantine Empires, so I can re-form the Roman Empire and stack all the opinion bonuses from Noble customs (currently +14), Born in the Purple (+5 I think), Augustus (+15) and Divine marriage (+10); since I'd quite like, for once, to have a ruler who was universally loved.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

ZeroCount posted:

So do Indian rulers actually work like they're supposed to with this new patch? I want to get my elephant on but I don't want to wade through a million revolts first. :shobon:

It sounded like the obscene revolt risk was from misunderstanding the units, so it was off by two orders of magnitude.

It also seems like the revolt risk in general is higher in the released patch than the beta patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

cock hero flux posted:

They've nerfed straight-up North Korea mode but so far I've found that, at least in small nations, continuously imprisoning and banishing all of your vassals that don't like you seems to still work as long as you hand the titles back out afterwards. You get assloads of money, any threats are promptly banished, the new guys tend to have the bad opinion from tyranny cancelled by the good opinion from giving them all the poo poo you stole from the previous guy. You can basically enact one free purge of the nobility every once in a while and simultaneously eliminate all threats and earn massive amounts of gold.

Imprisoned vassals can't faction. If you have a vassal Pope or Ecumenical Patriach with no vassal Kings, then you can excommunicate anyone for 100 Piety. You can repeatedly imprison and ransom them back to take all their money, and if they try to go to war to avoid imprisoning, you can revoke their title after they lose.

Asking the Pope for a claim is just a short-cut really.

• Locked thread