Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

AfroSquirrel posted:

I'm starting as Harald Fairhair of Ostlandet, and it seems like a pretty cool start. He's young, highly skilled, and with the ambition to become King of Norway you can subjugate all the little dudes around you. Watch out for his uncle, though, he plots like a Disney villain.

Yeah see he tried that so I imprisoned him and sacrificed him to Odin at my first blot. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sam. posted:

Harald Fairhair (in southern Norway) is a good start in 867. You start out with more troops then your neighbors, so you just need to choose "Become King of Norway" as your ambition, subjugate them, then use the troops you gain from subjugating them to subjugate the rest of Norway and raid everyone else. Use the piles of loot from raiding to make yourself a crown, raid some more, hire mercs, invade Sweden, Denmark, and Finland, and you can become Emperor of Scandinavia in less than 100 years without even trying.

It really helps that he has an absolutely insane martial score and will quickly rack up leadership traits if he is on the front line.
Edit: Also the dude who starts in sjaeeland is a pretty good pick as well.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh god it looks like the Seljuks decided to ape the golden horde instead of smashing themselves against the gigantic caliphate. :gonk:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm looking for a good place to start the :black101:. Tried to do Austiland (eastern half of Iceland) but get immediately subjugated by a Petty King from Norway, which leaves me with little to do. Any suggestions?

Start as Harald fairhair.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dauntasa posted:

Same thing happened to me except that time it involved a powerful Duke and the Warchief of the Jomsvikings, which made it funnier.

Blots are quite literally :gooncamp:.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Hm. I jailed and banished 75% of the realm, made 4000 gold, appointed courtiers to the provinces, and jumped off a tower... but my brother still had a rebellion in every province. This game is confusing.

Wait did you literally have the option of jumping off a tower? :allears:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

They'll bitch a lot, but unlike feudal vassals they generally are very slow at expanding. A good alternative if you think duke-level bishops are too gamey in how stable they are but are fed up with nobles being scheming and sneaky bastards with their inheritances and intermarriages.

Or you can a situation like in my Denmark game where the various doges of sjaeland decided to go and conquer random poo poo (including half of ireland :shepface:) making me terrified of ever crossing them. :gonk:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

ThePutty posted:

A melting pot event for Norse and various cultures would be a cool fix. I personally think the viking kingdom of Azerbaijan is insanely badass, but I don't want to see Norsemen dominating the entire culture and never converting to another religion.

I thought there was already a norman and norse-gael event.
I guess there could be a general event of become norse-x culture or something.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Vikings are raiding Treviso in 1292 in this Byzantine game. :psyduck:

Did Christianity spread to Scandinavia?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

...but how? :psyduck:

Hover over her and see if it shows her lover.
I don't understand why the tooltip shows that frankly. :psyduck:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fardels Bear posted:

Anyone else have their son come back from Mikelgaard like this?

My son came "back" dead after being killed in personal combat so frankly I consider myself lucky. :v:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Doomdark put some post-release thoughts up on the Paradox forums. Of interest:

Oh, and...

Emphasis mine.

Oh my god please be naval combat.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Shorter version: Naval power should be able to assist you in repelling invasions and would give you an incentive to invest in naval infrastructure.

Yeah I mean I already try and make vassal republics for the express purpose of having a huge navy at my disposal.
Basically I think that naval combat should be decided by who has the best mix of troops (cav should be only half as good and archers get double attack or whatever) and the best ships/leader (with a new naval leadership card introduced) which would probably make the merchant republics dominant much as they were in real life.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Be wary what you wish for.

:unsmigghh:
But seriously try again.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

DrPop posted:

Yes, and the Byzantines' huge naval strength (up until about the 11th century) is probably one of the reasons why they survived as long as they did. Having to rely on other states'/polities' naval assets (Venice, Genoa, etc.) later in the Empire's life is also one of the main reasons they got hosed. Despite how much naval operations could be boned over by random chance (bad weather), having a powerful navy was An Incredibly Important Thing in the medieval era.

[CK2+?] Succession laws question: I've been ruling over the Kingdom of Novgorod as a descendant of Rurik for a while--started it up while that bug that forced all new pagan kingdoms into primogeniture was active. Just converted to Orthodox. Created the Kingdom of Kiev title now too, but it gets stuck as a gavelkind title that will be handed off to my second son. There's no succession law option available under the Kingdom of Kiev's separate laws menu--how do I make sure it becomes primogeniture too? Is it possible?

Yeah the lack of the byzantines abusing the gently caress out of greek fire to torch invaders seriously bothers me.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

If there are things left to show off and explain, keep going. The idea is to show new players what to do with each kind of ruler, not keep going until you're a mega-empire and you win. It doesn't have to stop the second you get a crown.

The viking game would last for a while then because you would have to reform the faith I assume?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dirt Worshipper posted:

We need a :xcom: for CK2

Paradox should start putting iron man modes in their grand strategy games.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Isn't that just playing as an Eastern European or Persian count?

No? (yes I know thats a joke)
But it would be cool if the iron man mode had in exchange for no reloading a system that would increase your score by whatever arbitrary restrictions you put on yourself.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Yep Ironman is confirmed for EU4. I'm going to use it constantly because I'm a big reloading babby and it will make the game way more fun in the long run.

Oh my god.
Time to pre-order.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

I can't tell you many times I've died a suspicious death and immediately gotten the triumphant message, "Your plot to murder your father has succeeded!"

Probably my favorite time is when my six-year-old son did this. Children can't actually plot murders in CK2, but the AI apparently doesn't care!

Did you make that emote? :allears:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I was expecting something special for sacrificing the freaking Pope. :sigh:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

Bask in the warm glow of a burning Pope a job well done.

Actually im not sure if I should feel very proud of myself since the pope is not the vassal of anyone and is basically sitting in rome watching all his gold pile up until I send my goons to break in for a bit of smash and grab.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Rejected Fate posted:

Is there a time limit between Jihads/Crusades? I have over a 1000 piety and a 100 moral authority and the truce has worn off.

Once per life.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Megadyptes posted:

A few weeks back they said they would be rolling out CK2 DLCs for another two years. Next month there's some celtic minor dlcs for faces, unit graphics and music and another dynasty shield pack. They also said that 2 other minor DLCs unrelated to the ones I just mentioned will be out a month afterwards.

If they dont at least try and implement naval combat im going to scream.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

If you start as Harald Fairhair of Ostlandet you can show off the subjuguation mechanic for pagans by conquering the whole of Norway. Afterwards you can raid, and try to fight Sweden and Denmark for their holy sites to reform Norse.

I find Harald to be probably one of the best viking starts, as you get a young leader with great stats, and a lot of lone counties you can gobble up without outside help in the beginning.

Yeah I agree with picking fairhair since out of all the 'major' viking starts hes probably the hardest of them all. Norway has a bunch of land but your holdings in general suck with a bunch not even getting the chance of building all three starting holdings. That and your uncle will almost always plot to ursurp your title as soon as you start.
Edit: Also I forgot to mention that fighting sweeden or denmark as norway seriously sucks hard unless you went and prepared invasion some european kingdom to support your conquest.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

brocretin posted:

The Prince and The Thane does this pretty well, for all its other flaws - when the inheritance happens, you call all your vassals to the coronation to swear fealty; if they refuse to come you can make war on them as traitors. Emperors can also request a Papal coronation, though it's preposterously expensive. I think the coronation also acts sorta like a feast when it comes to bonuses. Going back to vanilla, I think coronations are definitely something the game is missing.

What are its flaws since I actually never sat down to play it?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

What no-one seems to have mentioned about HIP is that it also includes Project Balance, a big CK2+esque overhaul. It's not for everyone, and very much targeted for those who like to roleplay their characters, but what it does it does well. Features include limiting wars based on traits (e.g. kind, honest charaters can't backstab allies) and my personally favorite submod: the duel engine, same as the GOT mod. That separates a character's ability to command troops and their skill at swinging a sword, and lets you risk your leader's life for the opportunity to turn the tide of battle by carving up the enemy commander in personal combat! :black101: Makes warrior kings lots of fun.

Another mod that is on my personal must-have list is Additional Objectives, compatible with HIP. Like VIET, it's nothing but bonus content, and some pretty high-quality stuff.

Personally I vastly prefer warrior popes who do things like kill the French king in personal combat. :catholic::hf::black101:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Has anyone ever seen the AI reform the norse faith on its own?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bishop Rodan posted:

The only purpose of boats in this game is to transport troops.

It's seriously one of the worst things inthe game though since we have had several dlcs about major naval powers that depended on a strong navy for survival and yet we have no naval combat! All I'm asking for is war galleys, cogs and maybe early carracks as the final upgrade and some blockading ability for navies. Not much all things considered.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

DStecks posted:

A problem I can see with including naval combat is that it could make crusades drat near impossible. The problem is that with the Paradox province system, you can't account for the reality that Medieval navies didn't have the ability to completely lock down a region of the sea, they way they do automatically in any Paradox game with naval combat. You could develop systems to compensate (enemy fleets are only interdicted if your fleet is set to patrol, and even then there's a chance they'll slip past), but I can see that being not terribly fun if the RNG doesn't roll your way.

Would it really though? I mean I usually see at least one merchant republic get in to the crusade and considering how much they:goon: with boats it would probably make crusades even easier. Jihads on the other hand... :v:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What are some good duchies/holdings to try and get in the De Jure kingdoms of Germany and Bavaria? Nothing seems to jump out as obviously as other de jure kingdoms.

Isn't Brunswick like 6 counties?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

I woke up to the news of the new caliphate in Iraq and I could only think "cool, now they can use the jihad CB to take the whole Syria at once"

Did you take a gander at the new thread title of the middle-east thread in D&D? :v:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

It's seriously disappointing stuff. The Islam matter was dealable, since it turned out it was mostly that one fellow just spewing a lot of noise and the actual written event chain was much more reasonable (although still had its flaws). This, though, this is straight from the mod's creator and is plain dumb.

Could you provide a link to the event chain?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Alikchi posted:

I don't know if CK2 mechanics are really even that appropriate for the migration period.

Frankly I feel its mechanics are still inappropriate for the viking age even though its awesome to become :black101: viking god-emperor :black101: and poo poo.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

double nine posted:

I hope they never do a naval warfare expansion. The way it works in other paradox titles just doesn't fit the time period.

The lack of it is even worse and it really doesn't have to work the same way.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

In the more general sense, is it better to give away lower or higher titles when you have to give stuff away to get under the demesne limit?

For instance, the William the Conquerer start drops you in with like 15 titles even before you form the duchies, is it better to give away the counties or form and give away the duchies? Why? And in the case of William in particular, is there any good way to decide who to give them to or do you just hand them out to random good courtiers? All his children are, well, children at the time, should you hand them all counties anyway?

I feel like I am grasping the gameplay here after playing Tutorial Island (which as someone mentioned is slow as balls but easy to understand and manage) but once I get into playing someone with multiple levels of vassals and a real kingdom to manage I start to lose the big picture.

I guess what I am asking for is a "Real Feudalism Primer", since the tutorials and Ireland do a good job of introducing the concepts but in practice its a lot more complicated than it ever gets even if you become King of Ireland.

Hre or French duke.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jaramin posted:

In my latest observe game the Karlings managed to a have a sudden die-off which left Louis the German: King of East Francia ruler of a united empire of Charlemagne. He had only one son at his death, and managed to pass the entire series of titles off without a big breakup. His son crowned himself the first Emperor of the HRE and immediately proceeded to seize the duchy of Barcelona, half of Hungary, and whatever Balkan states the Byzantines hadn't gotten their hands on. He reached about 35 years old and destroyed all of the kingdom titles except for East Francia one by one. He had two sons who inherited the HRE and East Francia respectively. The second Emperor, Charles, found himself a very prestigious match in the first daughter of the Makadon Basileus of the Byzantines. They had two sons, but by that time the empire was on primogeniture and it no longer mattered. The third Emperor, the grandson of both the HRE's founder and the Byzantine Basileus pressed his claim on the Byzantine throne right after they had won a costly civil war. In one fell swoop, he united both empires under Karling rule just before ushering in a new millennium.

Will the ai form the Romans empire?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

TheMcD posted:

So, I decided to try and play a game in Greece as a vassal of the Byzantine Emperor. Tried that before, and it didn't go so well when the Seljuks were banging down the Emperor's door to the point where I had to declare independence because they were going for loads of my lands and the Emperor wasn't going to be able to defend them, so the easiest solution was "hey, you just said you were going to take the lands ruled over by the Emperor! Well, my lands are independent now - suck it!". Then I quit because I got a Jihad called on me, I only had lands in that de jure kingdom and I was pretty much the only Orthodox still around.

"Well", I thought, "that was vanilla. I'll try playing with HIP, that should help."

I was wrong. Oh so wrong. Once again, it got down to the point of "oh god, I have to declare independence now or I'm going to get murdered", and immediately swore fealty to the expanding menace of Rum. They seem to have calmed down now that the Byzantines are basically dead, but who knows what'll happen when they're actually dead.

Nobody demanded conversion from me so far, so maybe I can be the Orthodox savior of Greece?

The problem with HIP is that it has this completely retarded sultanate of rum event where most of Anatolia will get ceded to Rum even after Byzantium takes a relatively minor thrashing and then you get things like the Bulgarian empire spawning in and everything goes :dice: for the Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

I've heard that blobs like the 867 Abassids or the 1066 Byzantines are designed to implode by having garbage rulers, but I don't think I've ever seen this happen. I guess the 1081 Fatmids get screwed pretty hard by their useless Caliph at the start, but thats just because he starts with 80% decadence and -400 ducats.

I've seen some pretty massive independence revolts, but they always end up white peacing out for some idiot reason.

In my 867 Byzantium--->Roman Empire game the Abbasids got thrown out of power within about 20 years of game start and the realm exploded hilariously which made them easy pickings until these Ali guys started reassembling parts of the arabian empire.

• Locked thread