Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The new Mongol bookmark lets you play as Genghis fuckin' Khan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fun game is to start as Genghis in the Mongols bookmark, and see how far west you can take his 60,000 horse archer doomstack through invasions. I managed to slaughter my way through to France before combined French and English forces finally broke the horde in an epic battle before the walls of Paris. Needless to say, the empire was crumbling behind me as I went, but it was pretty awesome.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

James The 1st posted:

It looks terrible. Basically, it makes all Mediterranean people look like bad muppets.

There's a mod on the pdox forums that "cleans up" the portraits. They're basically the same, but they don't look like boiled leather anymore. With that change I actually think the portraits are quite good.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I think someone also said it was tied to the Karling dynasty.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Magical Zero posted:

Ivar the Boneless is a seriously funny name. I can just imagine him flopping around on his longboat while raiding the poo poo out of Europe.

Best part is that nobody even knows where the nickname came from, although some believe it might refer to impotence. Or brittle bone disease, but that seems unlikely.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is it possible to capture the pope?

Yep. He has an unfortunate tendency to lead armies. As a Muslim character I've executed him several times. Sacrificing him at Blot sounds a lot more badass, though. Which reminds me, this DLC is pretty great, but what's with the lack of Blood Eagle-ing your opponents? That would be a nice little mod addition.

Heaney edit:
With a butcher's aplomb
they spread out your lungs
and made you warm wings
for your shoulders

:angel:

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 30, 2013

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Since people are all revved up about TOG and vikings, I thought I might as well throw in a recommendation for The Long Ships. It's a fantastic historical fiction yarn set in the 10th century that follows the various voyages and adventures around Scandinavia and the Mediterranean of an unreasonably lucky Viking raider named Red Orm. It's loaded with delicious historical detail, a dry sense of norse humor, and references to historical events and playable CK2 personages like the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok and Harald the Fairhaired. It's a wonderfully fun read, and if you're craving a contextualized sense of the European world around 867-1066 it's hard to do better.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

rt4 posted:

Is anyone else here playing on Linux? Since the update to 1.10.1, the game has suddenly become unplayably choppy.

Same thing has happened to the Mac version, I hope it gets fixed soon. In the meantime I suggest making a thread on the Pdox forums.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The latest patch broke the poo poo out of this game on macs, I hope it gets fixed soon. Can't play more than a minute without the game stuttering to poo poo and my laptop heating up into a small neutron star.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

PrinceRandom posted:

How normal is it for Norse to get out of West Europe/Novgorod? In my Zoroastrian game the Norse managed to take Azerbaijan and now Odin reigns in Baku.

Pretty normal, in my experience. In my latest game the Ivarings converted to Christianity (the traitorous swine will be put to the sword for it). Still, I can't deny their badassery: one of their unlanded sons promptly sailed around europe, across the mediterranean, and over to Jerusalem, then carved out a kingdom from the vast bulk of the Abbasids. I can imagine how it went: "Hmm, this Christ guy sounds pretty cool, actually. What's that? 'Jerusalem,' you say? 'Infidels,' you say? Hold up, Imma just round up my homies from around the fjord and straighten this out right quick."

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So the new DLC might be called Sons of Abraham. From the Paradox forum thread:

quote:

please god, let it NOT be jews....

quote:

agreed

quote:

with you on that ... +1

quote:

I hope it's not jews...

quote:

Beautiful.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I thought for sure it would be a religious DLC, but that really does look like a sacked and burning Rome. I could see it being another big timeline extension.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

After many, many hours of play I think I would pay at least a dollar for a DLC that did nothing more than wipe out the Karlings from the Old God start date. This may be my first mod.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Veryslightlymad posted:

EDIT ^^
drat it. Well, maybe the college of Cardinals will fix this dumbassery.

In the game I just posted a couple of screenshots to above, the Karlings wiped themselves out of relevance, by forming the Holy Roman Empire, establishing Elective Succession, and somehow electing a Wilhelmiden who switched to Primogeniture. Good job, Karlings.

That's interesting. I've never seen them actually form the HRE, even when it was well within their means. it's a shame, the OGs start in general just really highlights the weaknesses in CK2's diplomacy/alliance mechanics. All of Christendom should not be joining for a transcontinental defense of Mercia in the 880s.

e: my favorite game was the one where the Norse somehow reformed of their own accord and converted Europe; the Karlings still somehow managed to worm their way onto the thrones of Norway, Sweden, and England.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

computer parts posted:

Is there a way to automatically skip the "Person joined/left a faction" windows?

Message Settings, reached with escape.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jazerus posted:

Things have changed, pagans are okay now. They don't have coastal conquest, but they do have county conquest every five years, which is enough (with raiding) to keep you occupied.

Eh. I still think it goes too far. The whole point of vanilla pagans is that its a cycle of rapid expansion and swift destruction thanks to gavelkind. CK+ makes it rather boring; I rarely see the Norse establish any kind of foothold in the British isles.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hey man, it's cute. "I would like you to... help me plan a romantic getaway!"

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

You can get all of them, although dueling is very rare, for whatever reason.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

brocretin posted:

SoA looks like it's gonna be a Legacy of Rome-size DLC, rather than one of the BIG CONTENT updates (Republic, Old Gods, etc.). Still, it looks like it plus the patch will get me back to playing CK2 for the first time since EUIV came out.

Unrelatedly, can any goons attest to the quality of Lux Invicta? It seems pretty cool.

It tanked my comp's performance, and I personally am not a fan of its setting (too much of what a Pdox fan would consider fun alt history, I guess) but that's a personal objection. If you enjoy nation building and blobbing from small starts you'll probably get a kick out of it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The latest CK+ has some interesting bugs, to say the least. I've being spammed constantly with Sunset Invasion events; what makes this especially hilarious is that the Aztec invasion armies are being distributed to totally random characters across the map every time this happens. The Pope and the Count of Capua just had a cordial argument that ended in a battle of over seven hundred thousand men.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well Paradox did release an expansion pretty much revolving around it.

It's not really "revolving" around it, it's just an added decision if you get to that point. It's supposed to be stupidly difficult.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Keisari posted:

I managed to snip out that Dungeons mod and I also managed to restore the map, but I encountered some horrible bugs that prevent me from releasing it as a modmod, I'm off to work soon but I'll continue on my work tomorrow. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll probably release it under the name "CK2Minus" or something like that, it'd be ck2+ without the new map and without the dungeons mod that lets you imprison an entire family. If I can't get it fixed I'll just release it with the new map but without dungeons.

The new map is cool and all, and you can see it has a lot of effort put into it, but at least for me it makes gameplay harder.

I haven't had a chance yet to play the newest CK2+ release (the one that fixes the Aztec stuff), but apparently they have rebalanced the dungeons/sieges mod. I'd still rather it not be around at all, though. I actually like the new map, and I don't mind the localized titles that much, but you can definitely tell that the mod has lost a single, central vision of purpose at this point. It's crammed to the gills with stuff that is "kind-of-cool-but-does-it-really-need-to-be-here?" I'm not sure what was so wrong with the earlier system, where CK+ was popular enough that most of the smaller mods had compatible options with it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ugh, I hate to harp on it but I am just plain not having fun playing the game in the state its in. I'm sick of stupid crusades to nowhere, holy order mega blobs, and faction bullshit. The Knights Templar shouldn't be taking over all of central Europe.

It's gotten a lot of flack around here lately, but I would still recommend CK2+, minor annoyances aside. I haven't really had any of those issues playing it, and Crusades/Jihads have been dynamic and interesting. There have been two crusades for Jerusalem in my current game, the second of which was successful and ended in a minor relative of the King of Ireland being given the title. The dude was mediocre at best, but then things got Metal (without my involvement, I might add): He immediately converted to Levantine culture, went lunatic, got Jesus Gives Military Advise, received every "Virtue" trait in the game (presumably from his pal the Jesus), and then singlehandedly exterminated the Fatimids. Oh, and then he forced all his vassals to convert to Waldensianism. The greatest threat to the Byzantine Empire is now an insane septuagenarian formerly Irish heresiarch with a personal line to God.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DStecks posted:

Ivar the Boneless is an amazing start with all of those event troops. Conquering all of Ireland is trivially easy, and if there hadn't been a goof-up with me joining somebody else's subjugation, I probably could have taken all of Scotland as well.

And, having conquered Ireland and most of southern Scotland still left enough event troops over for Ivar's son to crush the mother of all rebellions. Literally every single one of my jarls is currently in my dungeon. :smug:

Welcome to Ivarland, bitches.

I miss the vanilla color scheme, hate CK2+'s stupid garish yellow Scotland. It would have been cool if the customizer DLC let you let you change colors as well.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DStecks posted:

I just took the King of Abyssinia on a pilgrimmage to Jerusalem, and got an event giving me the trait "Sympathy for Muslims" (I could have also picked Sympathy for Jews). What does this do, since the tooltip is just flavour?

It makes you get along better with Muslims; think it reduces the normal penalty to -5. There are similar ones for all the religions. Converted Norse kings seem particularly likely to pick up "Sympathy for Pagans." It also might lower your conversion chances?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DrPop posted:

Anyone used this Themata mod?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?736914-Byzantine-Themata-System

Seems interesting, as I've always been kinda bummed at how Byzantium is just feudalized in CK2, but in my experience mods like this don't always work out too well.

EDIT: Also holy crap playing vanilla CK2 after always playing CK2+ feels like easy mode, except with annoying factions that revolt all the time. Is there really no cool down on holy wars? I started up at the Alexiad date as Alexios and holy warred the Pechenegs out of Wallachia, saw that Rum was getting hit by a Crusade for Greece (which apparently includes Nikaea and other parts of western Anatolia?), and holy warred them right after I cleaned up the Pechenegs. I'm expanding like crazy.

I've been playing with Themata, and liking it. It's fairly mechanically light, which I think is what saves it from being another spergy Rome mod, and its changes weaken the empire more than they strengthen it. Basically, if Byzantium holds the western parts of Anatolia then the basileus has the option to raise crown authority to medium and institute the themata system via decision. This means that anytime a Doux dies his successor has to petition the emperor to keep his seat; if he is refused then the basileus can imprison him without tyranny. Generally the AI doesn't gently caress around with it too much which is nice. If anatolia is lost then you are stuck in low authority and you lose the themata options. Additionally, there are some nice changes to the 1066 Seljuq invasion which make it as historically devastating as it was: if the greeks lose then Armenia and the Anatolian interior are both lost by event and the Sultanate of Rum spawns. I think the modder is also planning some mechanics to differentiate "strong" and "weak" emperors, which could be really cool or really unbearably annoying.

e: He's also working on a separate mod for the 867 start in CK2+ which sounds really promising. Basically it would allow the HRE to form dynamically from any two Frankish kingdoms with a strong non-Karling ruler. That would be pretty rad.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DrPop posted:

Interesting. Thanks for your perspective. I'll give it a try. Does the Themata system apply to ALL Byzantine duchies when they've got Anatolia + Med Crown Authority, or just the themes/duchies in Anatolia? And how do you dig CK2+ with SoA so far? I started playing vanilla again last night after a two-month hiatus and it felt too...easy, I guess.

It applies to all Byzantine duchies, I don't think its possible via modding to determine it by specific title alone. CK2+ has taken a lot of flack on SA recently. I still think it's the best overhaul mod around by a country mile, and I actually like the new map, except for absurdities like the channel islands and a five province iceland. Apparently they're trimming those, though, so that's nice. I dislike strongly the inclusion of the "ancient religions" into the base mod. It's dumb as hell that if say, the Orthodox are getting pounded by Islam that half the doux of the empire will spontaneously flip to Hellenism, which happened in my last game. Also they inexplicably changed the Mongol empire titles into theocracies, so you can't play them without console switching. Don't know what's up with that. Also Norse have been so badly neutered that I don't even know why you would bother to play them, although that may have been Wiz. On the whole though, it's still much more playable (albeit slower) than vanilla, and the things that really annoy me in CK2 (rebels, claimant adventurers, loving event troops in general) are consequences of recent patches.

Oh except they took out the female module which is dumb and inexcusable.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

hellsjudge posted:

I think this was done when Old Gods was added so people wouldn't switch to the Hordes and steamroll everything

Really? That is... silly. If people want to roll over everything as the Golden Horde I don't see why the devs ought to stop them.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jazerus posted:

A really high martial ruler is totally worth taking into battle if you aren't terribly worried about what will happen after his death...or even if you are, sometimes. Also, anybody with a martial education can gain an upgrade to their education type through battle, so it can be a good way to boost your stats. Plus, you can virtually guarantee getting Organizer and a good terrain trait because you get to pick during the event which gives you combat traits.

Basically it is a risk, but it can pay off tremendously in terms of your battle effectiveness.

It's also a lot rarer for them to die in battle unless they have "Brave."

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The fact that she's pregnant is a nice touch.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Digital Osmosis posted:

Julian? In my opinion his chief problem was "getting killed in battle." His reformed imperial cult seemed to be pretty savvy, actually. He built on the whole "Christianity's internal organization as a means of social control" thing and was aware of the fact that Christian values of charity and sacrifice made it popular with the lower-classes, so he tried to build that into his paganism. He also moved really slowly in the whole "oppressing non-believers" thing. Don't get me wrong, I bet he would have eventually outlawed Christianity, but probably not until he was really old and secure in his power base. I really think it would have took if he hadn't you know, been murdered by the Persians.

Church historians also did a hatchet job on him, which hasn't helped his reputation much. I also wonder how much of his Christian antipathy came from being literally bullied by future Christian saints and archbishops in school.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Odobenidae posted:

I find it really weird how the Sultanate of Rum never appears in any game started pre-Alexiad. I honestly forgot they were even A Thing until I started fiddling around with the start dates. Are there no events for them, or do they always get crushed?

Somebody was asking about this earlier. What you need is Themata Mod!
It tweaks some conditions of the Byzantine Empire, and if the 1066 Seljuq invasion succeeds then the Sultanate of Rum is created via event.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

My main issue with the Game of Thrones mod is that it's a cludged together pile of poorly balanced mechanics riddled with grammar mistakes. Oh, and the abominable custom soundtrack. I mean, I definitely have had fun with it, but I really wish at some point instead of adding new features they would go back and try to make the whole thing work as a cohesive whole. The process of improving your demesne is a ridiculous trial, vassals seem ready to revolt against anyone on a hair trigger, and the megawar system, while interesting, can produce some very strange results. It would also be a thousand times better if they would just import in CK2+'s crown law and faction systems. And this isn't even getting into the totally unnecessary "Ruin" characters, the superfluous "personal decision" menu, the crippled wildlings and ugggh I wish I didn't get so frustrated at modders sometimes.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Cease to Hope posted:

It's a workaround. The normal diplomacy menu mostly isn't moddable.

Right, it's just annoying because as it stands it exists only to allow you to "insult" a character for a minor relations penalty. That's literally it. The other two options are already possible within the normal bounds of the game.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

JGBeagle posted:

I kinda liked that mechanic, if only so there can be "colonization" in CKII (for ancient history mods like Diadochi Kings or that 615 BC mod that's in the works).

I think it's a neat idea in premise, it's just not implemented terribly well, amusing as it is to see that "Tumbledown Ruins" has a lover and produced a number of illegitimate children. Which is pretty much my opinion of most of the GoT mod, I guess.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Seoinin posted:

For some reason all my horde plans involve letting Khiva & Turkestan get put to the sword while I run around wondering why I ever thought a levy of 45,000 was hot poo poo.

"Sire, Samarkand is in flames!"
"Eh, gently caress 'em."

e. do the Mongols at least respect peace treaties?

Yep. It's both useful and a source of annoyance in terms of historicity to me. Generally the mongols will show up and eat one kingdom level title (usually Khiva/Turkestan). Because they then have a peace treaty with whatever Persian power held the title, they'll gobble up Cumania and end up hopelessly lost in the Russian steppe. For once I want to see the Seljuqs and the Ilkhanate actually invade Persia proper.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ofaloaf posted:

So I don't know which component of the project's fault it is, but after installing the Historical Immersion Project and looking at the map & Ruler Designer, it became clear that some priorities just seem a little off.

Spain at game start is culturally divided between Andalusians, Basques, Catalans, Castillians, Aragonians, Galicians, Portuguese and Leonese peoples. Italy is even crazier, being divided between Ligurians, Lombards, Venetians, Tuscans, Corsicans, Sardinians, Central Italians, Southern Italians, Langobards, and Greeks and Maghreb Arabs. Aside from the Greeks and Arabs, all those cultures are in the 'Italian' culture group, which also includes Romans, Neapolitans and Sicilians, the latter two presumably appearing via event. The North Germanic Group includes Norse, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, Frisian and Gothic (Gotlander).

All this detail and variation would be immensely impressive, except, well:

What bothers me is less the sheer detail devoted to some areas, but rather how unevenly it's been done. Even Frisians are in this, yet Germans can't be divided between, I dunno, Low and High German?

That color scheme is gorgeous, though. Does it come from the mod?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Picard Day posted:

Speaking of Jerusalem, I just recently started playing an 867 start with CK2+ game as a Catholic ruler in Wales. By the time 950 rolled around, the pope was ready to call the first Crusade, for Jerusalem - which at the time happened to belong to child ruler loathed by fellow muslims and his vassals. Proximity seemed to be more important than actual forces as the first guy there was the Doge of Capua (who was the only existing trade republic besides my pet on in England) and is the only guy who finished sieges aside from the Pope before the Crusade was over.

Now there is a Most Serene Republic of Gerussalem :stare: I didn't even know that could happen!

It actually happens a lot (at least in CK2+), since merchant republics are weirdly inclined to go crusading in hilarious contravention of actual history.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

"Tell me more about the mythical province of Hindustan!" :allears:

Super pumped for this, though I hope that there are enough new mechanics to distinguish the setting from the middle east. We are basically wandering into new and heretofore thought impossible levels of ugly borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ThirstyTurtle posted:

Does anyone know of a mod that expands the map into Asia?

Not sure of any mods other than Umbra Spherae, but Rajahs will presumably have to add a large chunk of central asia.

• Locked thread