Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Love the OP. So to the goons who don't work 8-5 EST, how is the expansion? Is it everything I wanted her to be? :allears:

On a sad, more depressing note, a follow-up to the "I'm not a racist" thread on Paradox:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

What Fun posted:

So, I was VERY far into my first game as Ireland, from the start period to 1400. But I guess this patch changed all my technologies and instead of having 3 stars in legalism, I now have one. My demesne size is now 4 instead of 7. I guess I should just start a new game at this point, but I'm kinda pissed.

I mean what did you expect from a major patch?

I guess if you use Steam yeah there was nothing you could do and that sucks.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Well, we can be sure someone will take the plunge and make this into something more...significant. Like a real religion shift.

Octopus Overlords with Water Spells gogogo

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Balts are just as bad about nationalism/racism as eastern Europeans, who woulda thought. :allears:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?690565-Baltic-Face-DLC

In another thread someone was posting about how the game was critically flawed because the Kingdom of Lithuania includes part of Latvia, even though the Latvians were assimilated but not the Estonians (or something. It was really incoherent). :v:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

SkySteak posted:

Edit: How the gently caress are you meant to get anything done with Gavelkind? I went from being able to call 2000 troops to barely over 500. It's absolutely crippling. I guess it makes sense to raid as much as possible early on and then just throw Mercenaries at everything?

If you keep a single higher tier title than the rest of your titles, your realm will remain intact, so you'll still have powerful realm levies.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Flame112 posted:

The only condition that you didn't mention that I can think of is that you can only use it on pagans.

I don't think this is true. I'm pretty sure you can use it on the Catholics in England/Scotland at game start, anyway.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Flame112 posted:

You might be thinking of a Prepared Invasion or the Conquest CB; you can definitely only Subjugate other pagans. When I've fought against England/Scotland I've had to conquer provinces one at a time with the Conquest CB.

Were you already King/they weren't defending another subjugation war/You didn't wait out the 10 minutes?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

alex314 posted:

I got lucky and formed Poland in 2 generations. Getting 3 holy sites was a bitch, but I've suceeded too. Now I want to form merchant republic of Gdansk (Danzig) to get lots of ships for raiding. Is it a good idea?

One generation. :smug:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

SkySteak posted:

I assume this is going to break saves? :smith:

Incorrect according to earlier posts by the devs! :pseudo:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Rejected Fate posted:

...Man, being an attractive Queen is the best thing ever.

All your male vassals love you so long as they're not gay.

I just realized: Does the Ruler Designer actually let you play as a female?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Very well. Carry on then, peons.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Count Beamed I gains the trait 'Arbitrary'.
Count Beamed I loses 10.0 prestige.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

P.S.: Did you know that the 'convert to attacker's religion' button, contrary to its tooltip, doesn't actually end ongoing religious wars?

It should. I've had a ton end - and have ended- that way. I'd report it to Paradox if it's really not working properly.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Saith posted:

Invite someone with a strong claim to the kingdom, or a younger son of the current king, to your court. Once he's there, he won't be able to refuse your marriage proposals, so then you marry him matrilineally to your daughter. If he's in line for succession Say he's the third son) just :ese: his elder brothers 'til he's the heir. If he's not, go to war for his claim. When he and your princess have a kid, it'll be of your dynasty. Note that unless that princess is your heir, you won't actually gain the kingdom itself, you'll simply be putting a family member on the throne.

It's actually a better idea to kill the dude after he has the kid, as the kid then inherits the claim, and thus you can directly place the kid on the throne.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Dirty_Moses posted:

I forgot for a bit how awesome the Normans were.

Is there a way to emulate the creation of the Norman culture in ToG? I haven't had much of a chance to play around with it.

Yep. If you're Norse and conquer bits of France(maybe England too, or am I crazy?) then it and yourself eventually become Norman.

EDIT: I should clarify. If you conquer a Latin-speaking (again, someone correct me if this is inaccurate, it's been awhile) province/area, then the same kind of event that turns dudes Danish/Norwegian/Swedish will fire for you and turn you Norman, although I think you can try to resist it.

Beamed fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 12, 2013

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

chunkles posted:

What laws (levies/taxation) does everybody roll with? I see there's a giant mathematical breakdown of them on the paradox forums, but what do you guys generally find is best?

My personal favorite is Min/Low(whichever first gives it, depending on if you run CK2+ or not) Feudal Tax, Max Feudal Levies, Max City Tax, Min City Levies, and High Church Tax/Levies. Only a -10/20 opinion penalty, which is easily taken care of, for a ton of tax and troops where it comes best.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I thought that was a goon mod from a few years back? I remember we once had a few USA mods that were being produced that nothing ever came of

"few years back" :stare: This game came out last year.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Is it possible to zip or something the Beta files for us GG users? Or would that not be considered :filez:?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Re: Sonendar

I can't wait for you to create a minimap so I can finally play that wonderful looking mod :allears:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Heavy infantry retinue is really powerful. Could you show us the stats of your commanders? And did the enemy attack you in defensible terrain and/or crossed a river or strait?

He was on the offense.

EDIT:

:woop::woop:

Are you planning to post it on the official forums as well? It may attract a wider audience there too!

Beamed fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 6, 2013

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

About half the boys in my dynasty are named Ruarc, after the king of Ireland who won the Invasion of Scotland. I don't know if the autonaming takes an ancestor's achievements/prestige into account when selecting a name or if it's just a cool coincidence, but it's neat either way.
This is a good question - it's really cool to see "Beamed" or "Dongs" a ton after initial kings, but I've always wondered if it's based on their actual achievements.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Hover over your gold and it should breakdown total income/expenses.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Sweeper posted:

Question, sometimes a guy I'm attacking will surrender and I won't get control of his lands/county. Why is that and can I stop it from happening?

"Guys war isn't working, fix it :v:"

Can you provide a little more context, please?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Asmodai_00 posted:

:stare:

Oh man, I hope it actually works.

The old one didn't. :smith:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Is pre-ordering the only way to get that converter? Because that is seriously enough to make me do it, but if I can wait I'd rather buy it during the Steam winter sale.

It'll probably be standalone DLC as well.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Rurik posted:

And you can colonize the Americas as Japan, China or some South-Eastern Asian country!
Was it ever fixed in EU3 that the International Date Line couldn't calculate naval ranges across it, and so you couldn't colonize America East-West or Asia West-East?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Rurik posted:

I don't know about this problem, so maybe.

It was ironic, actually - people always complained about not being able to colonize California as Japan, and no one complained about not being able to colonize the Philippines from Peru :v:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Crossposting for Everyone:

Kersch posted:

:siren: It sounds like if you have CK2 specifically from Gamersgate, you'll need to preorder EU4 from GG as well in order to have the included preorder CK2-EU4 converter work with your GG copy of CK2.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

I was under the impression that you needed to order from GG in order to get a free preorder copy of the converter DLC, because the retailer gives those out.

The converter will work with the gamers gate copy, you just need the gamers gate version of the dlc.

you wind up with steam EUIV regardless, but a steam preorder gives you a steam copy of the dlc, not a GG copy.

Yes, this is what the post says. :confused:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

You repaired the great schism.

I would honestly love if there were some way to actually do that, similar to the Orthodox/Catholicism one.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

Sounds like you forget about the chancellor improve relations mission? That one is s huge +40 to relations, and since you have few vassals you can always have him working a king vassal. Also do not forget that educate children is also a +20 to relations, you can send any worthless child to them and they will be happy, and if you manage to be their mentor you get a permanent +25 to relations.

And if everything fails you can still use your Spymaster.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Before you reinvent the wheel, remember a Resident Goon has already done a ton of work on an America mod, and you could borrow map stuff heavily from there.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

The only thing agreed upon is that if sweden.mod includes the dependencies = { "Scandinavia" } line then everything will work "right" as I described above regardless of mod names or order, but hardly any mods seem to actually do that - not even explicit submods.

I can't confirm but I'm almost certain that this is correct.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, but what if they don't have that line? How does CK2 choose the file to load then?

I'm quite baffled that it's not common knowledge.

It's not really something Paradox talked about and it's not something modders often do; unfortunately, many modders don't seem to enjoy object-oriented design.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Alkanos posted:

I'd be content if they just added a reset button to the character finder, along with a "My Dynasty" filter.

Also, I love how Wiz's last CK2+ release came about a week before a new patch. :v:

Click "Search All/Realm/etc." again and it refreshes. :)

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

WYA posted:

The paradox forums are racist?

They have yearly threads about how evil the Romani are and how Americans just don't understand, and weekly threads about how their White Europeans were mixing with the AFRICANS FROM BELOW THE SAHARA(AKA CIVILIZATION).

So I guess it depends on your definition of racism??

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Fuligin posted:

It tanked my comp's performance, and I personally am not a fan of its setting (too much of what a Pdox fan would consider fun alt history, I guess) but that's a personal objection. If you enjoy nation building and blobbing from small starts you'll probably get a kick out of it.

No, I'm that guy but the mod is utter poo poo. Each loving micronation has its own religion.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Posting from the Paradox Megathread that if you bought CK2 on Gamersgate like I did, fool that we were, Paradox has graciously allowed us to receive free Steam keys for CK2 and each of the DLC for it, available to see on Gamersgate. So we've got that goin' for us.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

Well yes, it's one of the pillars of Islam, but that single decision starts a whole event chain that is pretty cool. It's not just -enact decision get 15 piety-

Sorry if I sound surprised, but it really came out of nowhere for me. :shrug:

Also, a good Litmus test for everything potentially problematic are Paradox forums. If they don't think that something is a problem, nobody will. :v:

I love how overtly they're all posting "WHO CARES ABOUT INDIA THERE'S NO HISTORY THERE GIVE ME BUMFUCK NOWHERE IN EUROPE INSTEAD" without a shred of self-awareness. It's bonkers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

hellsjudge posted:

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed in hearing that, I wanted to steamroll India with my rich Norse empire when the expansion hit with my current save but I guess it's not happening :(.

I guess I'm getting old, because I'm routinely shocked when I hear people - not you in particular, but I often hear it elsewhere - complain that updates ruined their savegame. It was only 5 or so years ago where you were called crazy to expect otherwise.

• Locked thread