Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

lenoon posted:

A good rule of thumb is that with a few exceptions (west african being one of them) it's virtually always better to go cultural retinue with a scattering of "troop type not covered by cultural retinue" unless you're really min-maxing. As other posters have said, it's usually not that important.

Poor West African being poo poo at everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

SeaTard posted:

Instead of killing all your sons, make them all into counts, and just keep York. Having a large, landed dynasty is better than having too few heirs. You should probably revoke the church/city in York before you do that, so you can actually get some additional levies from them.

Or, do the same, but then use your newly raised levies to snipe a county in Wales, and swap to Welsh culture to enact Tanistry. You should have been the ruler of York long enough to immediately enact Tanistry once you flip culture.

Scottish culture also enables you to enact tanistry.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
How can you tell what starts are tribal? Are there any Muslim coastal tribes?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
The tribal starts are the most godawful slogs to accomplish nothing in the game.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Tribal merchant republics are the worst thing you can play in this game, it's a shame there is no way to form republics without having to pray that the AI doesn't decide to delete you from existence for no reason.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Rajas seems like it secretly seems to be for nonindians. It gives those eastern muslims something to do other than sit around and wait for the caliph to kill you.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
How do I stop the councilor's popups when they improve relations or increase reinforcement rates? I don't see it in message settings.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

KOraithER posted:

There should be a button in the bottom right corner of the popup to change its settings.

There isn't it's just the scroll.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
This expansion seemingly has no good features, I am just playing and am hit with some other dumb thing they made to punish players for no reason. The needing to win a "major battle" is a really stupid new rule. I was a viking ruler wanting to take Shetland, but of course I had to win a major battle. I guess those 800 man stacks I killed weren't major enough, I had to assault mainland Pictland and take out the 12k doomstack.

EDIT: I guess Shetland is really valuable to Christendom, that's why when I go to conquest it an alliance of 8 kings answer the call to blob onto Glasgow and refuse to leave.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 25, 2014

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Another Person posted:

I decided to play a Republic, and I swear the AI is smarter than it lets on. The second I drop from being the Doge down to just a patrician, the Byzantine's decide to declare a de jure war for Venezia. Also, how the gently caress do the Byzantines have a claim on Venezia? I game overed from it.

The AI is not smart, it just scans around until it finds something it can eat up easily.

My game has bugged out now, I am trying to snatch land from some revolt. I occupied literally every territory and killed everything but a single stupid galley. He won't surrender, he is sitting in an occupied holding but it is still tribal. The game can't figure that the renamed tribal holding is in fact the same as the capital of a province. So I just can't win this war. It's great. I guess all I've learned from this awful playthrough is don't ever play on Ironman.

EDIT: Oh great it ended up waiting so long he gained enough piety to hire the knights templar.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 25, 2014

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's different from what players do somehow, I guess?

You don't have perfect information at all times of the entire map.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
The removal of the assassination button is probably the worst part about Charlemagne. There's really no way for you to just say oh poo poo and get someone dead when you need them dead ASAP.

Good god the AI is loving stupid too. I had a ruler bug out and die right as he was elected to be Doge so it just skipped over him and went to some other rando patrician. He's Norse unlike literally every other person in the realm. The AI noticed this and now like 8 catholic kings are declaring holy wars against him. He of course won't convert to Catholicism and of course won't die. He's cynical too.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 26, 2014

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I actually don't mind its removal, except for the fact that they're no way to kill your kids, even if your heir is a homosexual clubfooted imbecile and his younger brother is a Quick Attractive Grey Eminence.

Yeah, this exact situation happened to me yesterday. I wound up console-killing the oldest because gently caress that noise.

The moral of the story in my game that I am playing though is do not loving play on ironman. Cheevos are not worth the blood boiling rage when this shittily programmed game bugs out and fucks you over.

Well, bugs out or the developers decided to settle on wacky RNG to make the game have any difficulty whatsoever.

EDIT: I am convinced this game on ironman is just a test in seeing how much you can get hosed over. The undeserving ruler just granted ALL of his vassals independence. I am going to have to reconquer each and every part of my republic over again.

He lost all the holy wars, and then right after surrendering to the last one, converts to Catholicism...

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 26, 2014

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I am experiencing the most enjoyable gameplay feature right now. I am trying to take over a single county province, but I can't. Every time I get to 95% warscore the count rebels, so my CB is no longer valid. When I declare war on him, he instantly surrenders to his liege to restart the cycle. :thumbsup:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I formed a merchant republic once without having any male couriers and ended up going about 100 years without any other houses forming.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Im okay with women not being able to be Doge, it's just there should be something to do with your daughters. I don't think it makes much sense you can't marry off a daughter to rope in some wealthy banker/business genius into your family business.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Are allies bugged or something? I called all my allies into an invasion of Mali, but they're just sitting their doom stacks uselessly in their respective capitals unmoving.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Are some achievements bugged? My merchant republic controls all of the Atlantic coast and has the kingdom of Frisia. Do I need to have every county within Frisia itself as well?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Ludo Friend posted:

Need to be playing on Ironman for the achievements. If that's not the issue then I'm not sure, as that's normally the problem!

I am for sure on Ironman, I think it may be because I am a republic and everything involving them is buggy.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Glass Hand posted:

I assume you mean the Mediterranean face pack. It is really loving terrible, but I ended up buying it with the sale this weekend just to try the face mod that comes with HIP (which requires you to own all the facial DLC). So far I like what I see, but I haven't done much with it yet.

They're not that bad. It's not like they're the Indian portraits.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Socotra, Iceland, Canarias, and Kola. First person to relevancy wins!

I am just finishing up an Iceland Ironman game where I formed the HRE and control all of Western Europe.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
So is deposing an antipope supposed to do basically fuckall? I decalred war on the Byzantines and won a war to depose an antipope, the pope is still there ruling in the Byzantine Empire. The Bassileus still has him as his religious head. The only thing I really gained was some useless Moral Authority and opinion with my pope.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I'm really liking the increase in nickname frequency. It really adds flavor to the game.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Man playing the Jews is really boring. You're basically playing a crappier version of a catholic heresy.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Play ethiopian jews.

That's who I am playing as. Once you manage to get to the muslims, you get stuck against a circlejerk of muslims. The only reason I managed to grab Egypt was because they flipped into a heresy.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

In the 1066 start Egypt is Shiite so you don't need to worry about the holy war clown car until you are ready for it.

The clown car is only really bad when it's me declaring war on the Abbasids to take the Israeli duchies. I can handle the usual holy wars by mostly ending them before the other powers can respond. I already took Crete and Cyprus.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Wow, that ride is not worth the price of admission. I should see if I can lower the nomination costs somewhere when I start playing this again

It also doesn't help that unlike the patricians in a republic, the cardinals actually do seem to contribute to the campaign fund. They'll aggressively spend up to everything they've got the instant they are outbid.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Spaseman posted:

Is there any way to lower peoples opinion of an unlanded character? I need someone to die but everyone seems to really like them so I can't get anyone to go with my plot.

You can try and excommunicate them

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I kind of hope the levy bug stays for good, It would prevent the bullshit of me revoking an emirate from some random Shia zealot that hated me and the second I revoke his title each shitface Umayyad vassal declares instant war on him and proceeds to send a 6k stack to slurp up my ex-vassal before I even have the chance to move my army the 3 provinces to get to him.

And of course I can't just white peace him out because of some arbitrary restriction on white peace because gently caress the player.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 8, 2015

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
It does the K-DYN thing if you form a kingdom title and then destroy it. I guess it clears the name and saves the placeholder. It also makes it so it can't de-jure drift because it resets all the time.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Broken Cog posted:

Ugh, I got the devilspawn event for my fifth son in a full-genius family(No savescumming, but both my character and my spouse are geniuses), and he kills off his four older brothers before biting it at the tender age of 17 due to a passing sickness. I'm not too bothered since his younger brother is an absolute wünderkid, actually beating out the devilspawn on some stats like diplomacy and martial, but it would have been nice to play as him for once.

My dream is to convert to Hellenic religion in Ironman through those courtiers you get an export it to EU4.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Strudel Man posted:

They're not hellenic, though. They're generic pagan.

Despite that fact that one is Circe, the very daughter of Helios.

Wait, is it possible in any way then to become Hellenic in Ironman without ruler designer?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Man Muslim trade republics generate decadence faster than you can possibly gain the 100 piety to tell them to calm down.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

dj_clawson posted:

Man, NO ONE will vassalize to Jews.

Not just that but pagans won't convert to Judaism to avoid you crushing them in holy wars.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I'd like it if they made it so cities weren't just randomly given out to a generated character. I'd like to keep those in my dynasty as a loyal tax base.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I'd hope he'd add coastal provinces to West Africa, it would go a long way to make them relevant as something besides pagans for the Muslims to holy war if they need some quick decadence drops/somewhere to send a crappy court imam to die. I think that it is wise though overall to not add provinces, then you end up with 5000 tiny specks of land as the Netherlands or other spergery.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Hadaka Apron posted:

What are the best succession systems? I just went with ultimogeniture and everyone hated my heir when he took the throne.

Tanistry is really good for clean successions, but usually you get kind of blah rulers. Where are you located?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

verbal enema posted:

Are heretic games any fun? I feel like it might be an endless stream of holy wars against you

It depends, if you get a poo poo heresy like Waldesian or something then no, they suck. I played one as a Kharijite and it was literally the exact same as Ibadi, I just chilled out in Morocco and no one cared because the only Ibadis were in Oman for 10 years. Messalians are great fun to play as are Cathars.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I love that the first two suggestions are "get your kid killed" "get your kid killed" and then finally "legally make him the heir".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

He's not a true lecher unless the portraits of his kids literally look like a black oval.

• Locked thread