Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Qwo posted:

Really, though, what's the justification for Norse being Gavelkind?

Germanic peoples (including the Norse) traditionally divided land inheritances evenly among their sons. Since High Kings were elected in Scandinavia, this doesn't immediately translate over into the Gavelkind succession method but is pretty close when it comes to how most landed titles were passed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Does anyone still have a pre-patch game? I kind of want copies of the old Francia and Byzantine heraldry because I am a baby who hates change.

E: found the old Byzantine flag, but if anyone has the old Francia CoA please post it if possible.

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 28, 2013

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I find it hilarious that Lotharingia manages to keep independent of the other two kingdoms in nearly every game. Historically, it was carved up in the aftermath of the Worst Divorce Case Ever, starring Lothair II, his wife Teutberga, his lover Waldrada, the Pope, and two kingdoms that wanted him dead. I kind of want to put off trying to play as Lothair II until I figure out how to legitimize his current bastards.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Pakled posted:

Yeah. I feel like doing a playthrough where I collect a queen from every kingdom in Europe.

Earlier today I was actually thinking of trying to capture a prisoner from every faith in some twisted version of Viking Pokémon.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Man, gently caress y'all Vikings. Playing as Alfred the Great, just overthrew my brother and am swiftly conquering my way up England. :black101:

edit: Why should I throw out Vikings raiding my land? I know it gives them money but does it hurt my province?

Looted holdings have a -25% tax penalty until they're replenished.

E: beaten like a longship drum.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Are there any new heresies? I have evil plans once I buy it :getin:

Zoroastrianism has a few now, and the Pagan faiths have a couple which can appear if you reform the faith (including ones that represent old believers unbowed to the reformed temples).

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Ron Hitler-Barassi posted:

If you elevate a city holder to duchy status will it automatically create a merchant republic? Do you first need to find a county that has a city capital? If you do this to yourself, can you control a merchant republic in addition to your primary title?

In an old game I accidentally gave a baron-level mayor a duchy, so I can vouch that any city holder elevated to duchy status that has a coast automatically creates a merchant republic.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

texside posted:

They've got a lovely matching set of strong claims on each other:

- Charles the Bald (West Francia) has claims on Aquitaine, East Francia, Burgundy, and Italy.
- Lothaire II (Lotharingia and Burgundy) has claims on Italy and Bavaria.
- Ludwig II (East Francia) has claims on Aquitaine, West Francia, Burgundy, and Italy.
- Louis II (Italy) has claims on Burgundy, Bavaria, and Lotharingia.

And they're inheritable strong claims. Basically, if one guy presses them and gets lucky, he can make a blob that is essentially gonna be Charlemagne's empire.

It's because of this that I keep thinking that TOG gave us the perfect multiplayer setup for a 6-player deathmatch (counting Aquitaine and Bavaria) from the very start. Only 1 Karling can sit on the throne in Aachen. :black101:

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Cumfart Vortex posted:

The Norse are ridiculously overpowered, so if anyone is bragging about doing anything as them I don't care because it's really easy. Other easy things: reforming a pagan faith, doing just about anything as Hungary, and reforming Charlemagne's empire. The special event troops everyone on the map seems to start out with really mess with the balance of the game.

I think that reforming the Slavic faith is far from easy based on how spread out the holy sites are and based on your neighbors.

And yeah, gently caress the special event troops. I understand it's to represent the tribal hordes or whatever, but rather than giving those tribes extra units right off the bat, just make them a replenishable resource you have to pay for that's keyed to your status as a tribal horde– higher base manpower, retinue size boosts, etc. The special event troops really only make sense for when the off-map invaders appear. If the Zoroastrian guys really need a boost to survive then they could just get the pagan defensive bonuses until they reestablish their Firepope.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Speaking of stabbings, is there any way to destabilize the HRE? I'm the Doge of Venice and I wanna acquire all my trade post lands. I keep assassinating the HRE emperor but due to it being elective they always get a high diplomacy guy in and never collapse.

Find someone who wants to be independent, set your chancellor to "tarnish relations with liege" on the HRE's capital, and hope for the best. Alternatively if you're desperate you can create your own antipope and hope that heresies tear the empire apart.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

A Tartan Tory posted:

So, has anyone found a universally regarded 'easiest' Zoroastrian start? Like Ivar is for the Vikings?

The Duchy/Satrapy of Karen is generally considered to be the easiest possible. Protips: attack your neighbor to the southwest in a Holy War while he's being invaded by your neighbor to the southeast (the Saffarids) for some easy provinces. That'll prevent the Saffarids (who will usually win) from gaining too huge an advantage. Then, focus on conquering Turkestan and becoming its Shah. Eventually you'll start seeing successful peasant/religious revolts in muslim states, especially ones you've been beating up. If they're adjacent to you, offer them vassalage: they'll usually accept. The Saffarids will be your primary enemy. Be an opportunistic bastard. There is a probable chance that the Zoroastrian duke/satrap along the southern Caspian coast will revolt, who will probably then try and snake across to Azerbaijan. Ally with him if possible.

That's about all I can say from my personal Zoroastrian playthough. The other Zoroastrian lord got ganked early on, so I'm on my own right now.

As a side note, if you're desperate for more allies you can try to convert the local pagans to the light of Ahura Mazda. This will usually not work.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
If Catholics need any kind of "super-decision" like the Blot, they should have the option to go on a Pilgrimage to a holy site like with Muslims and the Hajj. Is the Pilgrim trait used for anything yet or is it just sitting in the code? I've never seen it on any characters.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I cleaned up the "Born on the Battlefield" icon from the mod to match the other inherited traits. Dr. Sunshine, if you want to use this feel free to (just edit it to a .dds file instead). I dunno if It'll work though, I'm poo poo at modding.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Yes please, thank you very much!!

How did you do it? I somehow can't figure out how to make proper .dds files that don't come out as weird squares with black stuff all over.

I just went into Gimp and erased the black stuff/touched up the .dds sprite and re-saved it. Like I said, I haven't tested if it works OK in-game yet but I compared the file/layers to the ones in Vanilla and they're exactly the same in terms of composition.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
For those too busy to fiddle with religions that don't even have living characters in-game, here's the basic rundown on both Hellenics/Hellenistics and Generic Pagans from my personal accounts:

Hellenic Pagans:

Paradox posted:

The Hellenistic religion is polytheistic, with a pantheon of 12 major gods including including Jupiter, Mars, Mercury, Venus, Minerva, and Vesta. It originated in Ancient Greece and with the conquests of Alexander the Great and the Roman Empire, it would go on to become the dominant religion in the mediterranean world until the rise of Christianity.
  • Mediterranean portraits are still lovely looking
  • Hellenic Pagans still use the wooden pagan interface and dukes are called High Chiefs
  • Hellenic Pagans use the default Christian CoA interface
  • The Hellenic religion starts as organized, but has no head of religion
  • Has a lovely red-purple color that is almost indistinguishable from that of the new Orthodox color on tiny provinces
  • Holy Sites are in Abydos, Thessalonike, Athens, Alexandria, and Rome
  • No Holy Wars, but can declare Subjugation Wars against all other Pagans
  • Not limited to gavelkind succession
  • No special decisions
  • Can have concubines
  • poo poo at conversion like other pagans

Generic Pagans:

Paradox, in trying to justify this religion still being in the game files posted:

Since the dawn of history, both Europe and the Middle East have been home to countless Pagan religions and cults unrelated to the Abrahamic faiths.
  • Mediterranean portraits are still pretty lovely looking
  • Generic Pagans still use the wooden pagan interface and dukes are called High Chiefs
  • Generic Pagans use the default pagan CoA set
  • Counts as already organized (why) but has no head of religion
  • Red-Brown color on map
  • Limited to gavelkind
  • Holy Sites are in Rome, Vestergautland, Mecca, Jerusalem, and Ghana (good loving luck)
  • No special decisions
  • Can have concubines
  • poo poo at conversions like other non-placeholder pagans
  • lovely

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
You also need 50% Moral Authority to reform a pagan faith. Unless all your_pagan_religion characters are absolutely kickass in war at all times, you're going to need more than just 3 Holy Sites to be held by members of the faith to reform.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Annath posted:

poo poo son, I need a list of stuff to toss into text files until my game breaks. I have no idea what I'm doing, but dammit, I'm going to conquer Europe as the Romans one way or another.

One thing I can't bullshit my way through though, is graphics. Like CoAs, kingdom sigils, empire sigils, trait emblems.

I suppose the Mediterranean faces are what a Roman Culture would use?

I would just go with the default Christian CoA for now, unless you want to make your life difficult. Hopefully someone who isn't poo poo at graphical design can whip up some toga clothing for the portraits. Also, Roman culture is already in the game (with Mediterranean faces :barf:) and has a lot of names/etc. I can crap up some specific traits or shields if you want!

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Schizotek posted:

So I'm trying to deal with the cultural localization files for the hellenic mod I'm working on but will probably never finish. How do I override the pagan titles? My hellenic dudes will have all the titles I made if they're culturally roman and catholic or orthodox. But if I make them Hellenic they revert to High Chief.

I know that Vikings have different titles than other pagans. Maybe check their code/localizations to see what's different with them?

Annath posted:

I'll be done with work in like 2 hours (yay Friday), so I'll start actually trying to learn this stuff then.

If you wanted to make an awesome shield for the Roman Empire, or for some relevant kingdom(s) I'm certainly not going to complain!

The Roman Empire already has a shield from Legacy of Rome. If you don't have that expansion yet I'd highly recommend getting that even though it's Byzantine-oriented since it also includes standing armies and the Augustus trait. "Augustus" is given to any character that holds the title of Roman Emperor and gives a minor prestige boost. (also, get the 1.10 beta patch if you have Steam since it includes a Roman culture and the Hellenic religion.)

Either way, the amount of modding that people are suddenly doing is giving me a kick in the pants to see if I can rebalance the Karlings and make the HRE form more often with a Carolingian-focused mod, while also making it fairly possible to reform Greater Francia. Would it be out of the question or redundant to make a Karling trait that functions like being a Sayyid or Mirza for events?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

At this rate the only people with the default white guy faces will be the French, the Germans, and the Anglo-Saxons.

Am I the only person who hates that the post-norse Scandinavian units and characters are still wearing furs and viking poo poo even in like 1300 and that the Magyars start off wearing western European clothes? Also, that Republics still wear clothes in 1066 that haven't even been designed yet?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Has anyone tried to give boats to realms that have rivers? Is it even possible? Water in Clausewitz games is so stupid.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
A quick shout-out to the guys who are currently trying to flesh out Romans/Hellenic paganism:

I just stumbled on a site that has a notated copy of the Notitia Dignitatum, which despite being a record first written circa 400 AD, is probably the closest that you're going to get to a comprehensive list of Roman heraldry. If you're looking to have CoAs for hellenic pagans, or dynamic CoAs like with the Vikings and Anglo-Saxons territories, this may be the best bet. I may see what I can do to translate these into CK2's graphics, but a) I'm not an artist and b) I suck with GIMP so no promises.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

I go ta warning that I will lose three titles when my King dies. How do I fix this? I had a vassal that was really pissed at me and I goaded him into a war, I beat him and he gave up and I executed him after the war. I have the land now, there is no coat of arms over his city. It seems all the titles associated to this county will go away when my king dies.

WHat do I do? Give the titles to cousins or what?

"Losing titles" means that when you become your heir (that phrase never gets normal), some of your titles will be passed to your other, non-heir kids/future siblings. They will still exist, but you won't own them anymore. The shields disappeared from the map because only a character's primary title (in your case, the kingdom) is displayed on the map to indicate your location, and since he doesn't own land anymore it's not a vassal duchy. If you want to prevent your holdings from being divided among your kids due to Gavelkind succession, then switch to Primogeniture succession.

Giving titles to cousins will prevent them from going to your kids– as such, the remaining holdings will still have to be divided up evenly among your children and so your heir will hold onto even less land! Don't do that.

Also, losing holdings to your other children isn't a necessarily bad thing. If there are more landholders of your dynasty, then you're less likely to get a game over if poo poo hits the fan.

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 14, 2013

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm happier with it off.

On another topic, should we maybe put together a new tutorial LP since the old one's so out of date? Split it up into sections, showing how to play and get your first kingdom as a catholic, as a muslim, as a republic, and as a pagan?

I'd be down for that. Maybe it could be a collaborative LP where each person shows off a different expansion or time period/region?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, so for sections, we have:
1) Standard Catholic
2) Byzantine
3) Muslim
4) Republic
5) Pagans

Missing anything?

Zoroastrians like one other dude said, and Vikings and Tengri play so differently than the defensive Pagans that it might be good to split those up too.

EDIT: It may be good to also have a game as Catholics where they start as a vassal rather than an independent, just to show off how the dynamics change.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Allyn posted:

They do, but Meath was actually renamed to Tara in all cases with either 1.10 or 1.101. But yeah localisations are pretty common -- Ormond becomes Vedrafjord when owned by Norsemen, likewise York becomes Jorvik, etc.

Didn't they also change the duchy of Somerset and its shield to become Wessex if it's held by an Anglo-Saxon/germanic? The whole dynamic shield changes based on culture and religion are neat, but I wish I knew where they were in the code.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Trying to march on Scotland and I have like 15 different little armies. How do I combine them all into one big army?

Select them all when they're in the same province and hit the button that looks like [-><-]. Make sure to appoint leaders for each army flank!

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Democrazy posted:

So, why can't people sail down the Nile river in the game?

Because rivers and lakes basically were only added for Viking Funtime Looting, making it an utter eyesore for all other faiths and completely pointless after the 867 AD start.

Are there any guides to how much the River mechanics can be stretched/abused so that provinces adjacent to rivers can have boats/trading posts/etc? Combining it with CK2+'s navigable Red Sea and Persian/Arab Gulfs would make for a pretty cool map.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

WELP. In my file a Zoroastrian adventurer reclaimed Persia somehow.

:stare: Wanna meet that conqueror.

The closest thing to that kind of upset in my current game is that the Empress of Eastern Rome converted to Islam and married the Caliph, which caused the Second Crusade to be for Greece. Pisa won the entire kingdom and so Italian merchant republics control the remnants of the Greek empire.

Is there any way to suggest or direct where Crusades/Jihad/Great Holy Wars go? The High Priest of the Romuvan Church declared a holy war for Poland and I'm not getting Lithuania involved in that kind of clusterfuck.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the name Butankas is now the Baltic equivalent to Mohammed. Playing as him (Ruler designer, fairly average aside from Martial) I managed to unite all of Lithuania, seize a minor enclave in Pomerania, sack Rome twice, and was personally responsible for 9/10 burning churches in the 11th and 12th Centuries. In the twilight years of his life he managed to reform the Romuvan faith before dying at the age of 83 while moving troops to invade Belarus. His final score was in the 8500 range, which is the best I've ever done with a single character.

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 4, 2013

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Crusades no, but for Muslims you can be the head of your own religion, which allows you to declare Jihad. I assume Pagans work similarly.

The Reformed Norse get a Fylkir which works like the Caliph does, but the rest get Duchy-level high priests to act as their head. My Tree Pope is a loving idiot and he's going to ruin our moral authority :(

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

ulmont posted:

Surprised they moved up from the 1399 start of EU3.

EUIII's core game originally had a 1453 start date, I think. The In Nomine expansion rolled it back to October 1399.

londonmoose posted:

Argh, is there anyway of taking yourself out of the line of succession in an elective monarchy? I started a new game as the Duke of Austria, and I just wanted to play in my little corner of the HRE and see if I could scheme my way into controlling all the "Austrian" (in a modern sense) counties, but all the other HRE dukes really love my ruler designed character and keep nominating me. I actually managed to inherit when the Kaiser suddenly died, quickly got overthrown by the Duchess of Bavaria, then got reinstated a few years later by a Faction, but I don't want anything to do with actually ruling the HRE. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for any help.

Next time, vote for the #2 Candidate. I think that if you don't support yourself for the throne, then the other electors will shift their votes to someone else.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
When I was playing as West Francia, I invaded Viking Bretangaland but the petty king was a coward that converted to escape my wrath. A month later, the Irish, Welsh and Bretons he subjugated overthrew him in three separate rebellions. I switched tags to play as King Paol, the Liberator of Brittany, and haven't looked back since. And yeah, Paol was King of Brittany, not a Duke, since he reconquered the entire de jure territory of Brittany.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

SpRahl posted:

For retinues its usually a good idea to go with your culture specific retinue (housecarls for Scandinavia, knights for France etc) the best cultural and by extension the best retinues are considered to be Greek Cataphracts (heavy Cav+Horse archer) French/German knights (Heavy cav and light Cav, dont confuse with the normal cavalry retinue) and Horse archer retinues but I dont remember all the cultures that have those, Turks and Mongols for sure.
Cultural Retinues get a bonus equivalent to you highest cultural building (this does not have to be built yet so for example housecarl heavy infantry start with +60% offense)

Persians get a Horse Archer + Light Cavalry retinue that is fairly cost-efficient and composed in such a way that it only takes up 1000 retinue points. Are there any purely Light Infantry or mostly Light Infantry + Archer cultural retinues? The only one I can think of is the Mandé Free Warrior retinue, but it seems like overall there are barely any cultural retinues that have light infantry.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I hope that this expansion basically reworks Islamic dynasties from the ground up. I don't mind Decadence being a mechanic for muslims, but over time muslims as a whole have been needlessly restricted in terms of modding or personal realm laws (gender laws, etc) compared to other religions. Plus, everything I've learned about the Ottomans makes me hate Open Succession currently. The Beyliks of Anatolia basically practiced a combination of Gavelkind and "the strongest holy warrior attracts the most followers" in terms of succession, not Open Succession. In game terms, the Ottomans were the only kingdom to adopt Open Succession, and that wasn't really a thing until Mehmed II declared what's known as the Fratricide Law in the 1470s, which is 20 years after the game ends. Before that, the Ottomans just were either really lucky in having just one willing heir, or in the case of Bayezid I's inglorious end, a decade-long civil war between his four sons while Timur laughed in the background. Open Succession as it currently works isn't just chronologically inaccurate, but it historically applies to absolutely nobody outside of the Turks, and not even all the time at that.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Dauntasa posted:

Just give them all to some mercenary title or something. Or make a holy order for the old generic pagan religion that nobody has and give all the events to its leader.

Oh Jesus (:v:), what if they add in a Hellenic Holy Order as an easter egg?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
It's still pretty contentious as to whether or not syphilis was an Americas-only disease, or if syphilis was just one of the many deadly eurasian plagues europeans had to deal with. There were plenty of cases of wasting diseases in Europe which could be interpreted as cases of syphilis now, but syphilis being A Recognized Thing didn't happen until the early modern era, long after the Columbian Exchange made its origins hard as hell to untangle. Regardless, it's been in the game since before Sunset Invasion came out.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
So have we gotten any hints on what the next big expansion to the game will be? I'm hoping that they finally figure out a way to let us play as Theocracies, though Mercenaries/Holy Orders/Adventurers or inland Republics would also be neat. Maybe a smaller expansion could be some late-game content that you can get in the 1300s onwards, like unlocking gunpowder artillery and some expensive arquebusier regiments along with retooling and reintroducing the Black Death?

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 18, 2013

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what's the deal with everyone hating the Mediterranean Faces DLC? It's the only one I don't own because everyone hates it but I haven't actually seen why.

Under Tuscan Sun
Beef Jerky and Playdough
Faces Look Weird

The mediterranean faces just are really poor quality and are really lumpy and/or have weird shading at young and middle ages and immediately shift over to Extra Crispy at old age (which isn't as bad, but still not as good as the Northern European/ Arabic old people faces). There are a couple of mods which make the face packs look pretty good, but if you need a mod to make a graphics DLC not lovely, then something went wrong.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

DStecks posted:

Is it possible for the Kingdom of France to form organically? As in, can it ever spring up from the Old Gods start? Because France doesn't seem to be a de jure kingdom. Am I missing something?

"West Francia" uses the tag for k_France and so technically is France. It's renamed France via event when a non-Karling becomes king of West Francia. The same goes for East Francia / Germany. Essentially it's to indicate that the decline of the Carolingian dynasty coincides with the establishment of independent German and French identities.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

DStecks posted:

In my Ironman Estonia game, England wound up getting all three possible invasion victories in the same game: first, William the Conqueror succeeded in his invasion, then, Harald Hardrade successfully invaded Norman-controlled England, then, I'm not sure how, the son of Harold Godwinson managed to take the English throne from Harald Hardrade.

You didn't see the fourth, though: the Danish king has a claim on the throne of England as well. There's even an achievement for doing so in Ironman now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Fuligin posted:

It's dumb as hell that if say, the Orthodox are getting pounded by Islam that half the doux of the empire will spontaneously flip to Hellenism, which happened in my last game.

It's not as unrealistic as you'd think, but it's still highly unlikely and dumb as hell:

Runciman, The Fall of Constantinople, Chapter 1 posted:

By a whim of history this period of political decline [1300-1453 AD] was accompanied by a cultural life more eager and more productive than had been known at at any other time in Byzantine history. Artistically and intellectually the Palaeologan era was outstanding… Intellectual life, however, which was less dependent on financial backing, lasted brilliantly on. The University of Constantinople had been refounded at the end of the thirteenth century by Theodore Metochites, a man of fine fast and learning, to whose patronage the decoration of the Chora had been due. He inspired the remarkable generation of scholars that followed…

...An even more remarkable scholar, George Gemistus Plethon, slighly younger than Briennius, moved during these years [the early 1400s] from his native Constantinople to take up his residence at Mistra under the patronage of the Emperor's most erudite sons, the Despot Theodore II of the Morea. There he founded a Platonic Academy and wrote a number of books pleading for a reorganization of the state along Platonic lines. Only this, he thought, would revive the Greek world. He offered suggestions on social, economic, and military affairs, few of which were really practicable. In religion he advocated a Platonic cosmology, with a touch of Epicureanism and Zoroastrianism added. Though nominally Orthodox he had little use for Christianity and liked to write of God as Zeus. His religious views were never openly published. The manuscript in which he aired them fell, after his death and after the fall of Constantinople, into the hands of his old friend and disputant, the Patriarch Gennadius, who read it with growing fascination and horror and at the end reluctantly ordered it to be burnt. Only a few fragments remain.

While Plethon here was an extreme outlier, the extremely late period of the Byzantine empire saw a cultural reidentification as being "Greek" in nature rather than being Roman among the intelligentsia, which happened at the same time as a renewed academic and artistic interest in Classical pre-Christian philosophy and art alongside copious amounts of existential dread and despair. This dovetailed with the later Renaissance in Italy once the Byzantines were conquered by the Ottomans.

This is more EUIV territory, but any revitalization of the Byzantines in the 15th Century (or 13th-14th, even) would have changed the culture and administration of the Empire just as much as the transition from the Principate to the Dominion under Diocletian or the conversion of Constantine did. Of course, any EUIV national ideas not built on restoring old institutions are just conjectural and wouldn't appeal to fanboys, but it would have been neat to see an idea track that made a weird Renaissance Rome which passively absorbed a lot of Turkish / Italian cultural and religious traits rather than NOVAAA ROMAAA. But again, that's for the EUIV thread.

• Locked thread