Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You can't use an existing save.

You also cannot have any mods loaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

davecrazy posted:

Then I can't play iron mode unless you can make it yearly or something it's super annoying. I like to play with the speed cranked and pause as needed.

Too bad, Paradox has decreed the new One True Way (tm) to play this game and they will not abide.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

WEREWAIF posted:

I lost like 65% of my 220kish-vassal levies as Francia occupying all of Spain and Africa, and was like whaaaa, then I read about the patch. The only war that was a challenge before was a crusade without decent allies, I like the change.

I don't really consider it a nerf, because all kingdoms are affected equally based on size. Your mega-Francia is weaker, but so are the mega-Abbasids. End result? More or less the same situation.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mailer posted:

The painful hit isn't to big realms, it's to realms outside of de jure borders. When Torrannor mentioned this it explained why all my levies suddenly vanished in both games. You can be a huge superpower realm still (like early-blobbing France) as long as you stay within the glowing lines. I guess it's great at keeping blobs from gobbling up realms piecemeal and the extra hit makes rulers better targets for disgruntled small vassals.

It's entirely possible that the only way I want to play (single province->expand forever) isn't how the majority plays, since people seem to like the changes.

Wait, wouldn't that mean it's possible to utterly break the game by sticking to a single Kingdom and de Jure-drifting a whole bunch of duchies to it? That sounds truly asinine as a "fix" to blobs.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Vodos posted:

The description says electors favor older dynasty members and they pick basically the youngest and furthest removed from the current king, I'm just confused.

I guess my best option to run a genius breeding program is primogeniture with lots of stabbing/turning people into bishops?

Asides that you can have at most 10% bishops now, and they can never be granted prince-bishoprics (duke-level titles), yes, it pretty much still is your best best.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The levy changes and their subsequent effect on the faction system would be acceptable if the AI had any capability of dealing with it. But it can't, thus every single nation goes into an endless series of civil wars. So even if you as the player can navigate the challenge of keeping everything together noone else can.

So it's just like real middle age history then?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I think your knowledge of middle age history is not that good.

CK2 ignores that many times if a ruler was overthrown in the middle ages it was court nobles conspiring among themselves, with a successful coup often bringing just another member of the ruling dynasty to the throne, and in most cases without massive civil wars.

Who cares about those times? This is Crusader Kings, not Peaceful Conflict Resolution Kings.

Besides, there WERE dozens of civil wars in the Middle ages in the Byzantine empire alone. What's your point?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Drone posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

yessss demon spawn ruler. go nuts and enjoy it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

Added in Sons of Abraham. (Or possibly the patch? Not sure.)

It's an SoA event.

If you don't mind cheating, you can trigger the chain from the console with "event SoA.3000"

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

alcaras posted:

What are the triggers for that event?

i.e. could it happen to a Merchant Republic?

Child under 3, not inbred, not Pagan. 500 year MTTH (exceedingly rare), much faster if you have Possesed, Cruel, Lunatic or Impaler or any combination.

e: It COULD happen to a republic, but good luck getting the demon spawn elected.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jazerus posted:

So does this mean there's a new flag for potential mod-use that designates specific women as potential councilors? That's fantastic if so.

Yes, the witches have
set_character_flag = special_marshal
set_character_flag = special_treasurer
set_character_flag = special_chancellor
set_character_flag = special_spiritual
set_character_flag = special_spymaster

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Torpor posted:

Is there any reason besides money to not just have all of your retainers be heavy cavalry? I am playing the HRE and it seems like, stats wise, there probably isn't a reason to have more than the pikemen/archers and heavy/light cavalry retainers. And I'm not exactly sure it even pays to have the pikemen. Is that right or is it best to have a varied type of army?

Heavy Cavalry and Horse Archers are better than any other troop type at everything. There is no reason to include anything else in your retinue if you have the option.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Arctiidae posted:

is there any way to convince the pope to call a crusade or is it just waiting and luck?

I believe Popes are limited to one Crusade in their lifetime - so if he already called one... :ese:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hambilderberglar posted:

I can't destroy king titles despite being able to afford the prestige hit, controlling the whole loving thing, being the current holder of the title and it not being gavelkind, yet the tooltip still complains it's not met the condition of "not gavelkind". What gives? I really want these king titles to gently caress off.

You cannot destroy ANY of your titles if ANY of your titles (even those not being destroyed) is Gavelkind, maybe that's it?

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 8, 2013

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hambilderberglar posted:

gently caress me sideways that is stupid if it's true.

Well having a Gavelkind title increases your Demesne limit across all titles; this prevents you from abusing it to get a larger demesne without risking anything but that one title.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hambilderberglar posted:

I keep my diplomacy high enough that giving a gift of gold to a Doux usually results in a 30 to 70 relation improvement and on inheritance most of my vassals have a positive opinion of me. I'm mainly worried about edge cases where I've pissed despot pissmypants off and a gift of gold plus a honorary title isn't enough to do the trick. With dukes this isnt much of a problem because a bunch of stubborn malcontents will have pitiable manpower and won't dare revolt once I've stripped away all the dukes who are in there with opinions of +30 and a bag of gold. I imagine a stubborn king or two (especially one of something big like Greece, Italy, Africa, Egypt or Syria, all title-dense and rich, can really ruin your day. Orthodoxy and Autocephaly means I can't wield the excommunication hammer in every case either.

Does the Roman Empire keep the Byzantine's ability to revoke Duke-level titles without incurring Tyranny? If so the question of king titles becomes moot; never ever keep any of them. Ever.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I'm going to guess Loyalists tend to appear if your vassals love you more than the pretender...which usually precludes them from starting a civil war in the first place, hence the rarity. :shrug:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

1) Sometimes there's a "Press All Claims" option but I've never understood what causes that to arise. Best bet is to just pick off what you can when you can and always be ready to pounce if the targets fracture into infighting.

If you have more than one personal claim (not a De Jure, a dynasty member, or a vassal's claim)against a single target you can "Press All Claims". If you win the resulting war, you will get every single title held by your opponent to which you have a personal claim when the peace deal is brokered

e: should've read "more than one" rather than "one or more", obviously. Fixed

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 11, 2013

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

No, never. De jure claims have to be fought one at a time.

Just because a claim is in your dynasty doesn't mean it'll be under your rule. Your dynasty members won't automatically become your vassals when they gain land; the new Count of Devon will be your ally, but he's still independent. Since he's in your de jure kingdom

Huh? Pressing a claim for a dynasty member to land belonging De Jure to your titles most definitely makes them your vassals automatically. :confused:

Heck, I'm pretty sure it works for land outside your De Jure territory, as long as the title pressed is not equal to your highest title.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes, but that's specific to pressing claims. A dynasty member who inherits something won't automatically become your vassal unless they were already your vassal to begin with. Jolan seemed to be under the impression that dynasty members would always become your vassal upon getting any land anywhere through any means, which just isn't true.

Ah, I see. Misunderstood your post, you're entirely correct.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What's the best retinue army to make as the Byzantines? Should you just spam cataphracts and nothing else?

Yes. Nothing will come close. Cataphract retinues can take on armies twice their size and utterly crush them.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Bishop Rodan posted:

It took five tries to kill her. And the killer divulged my name. :negative:

Shouldn't mess with Hungary :colbert:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ovo posted:

Elective is the best, Hellsjudge :colbert:

Elective sucks. Ultimogeniture is superior to both it and Primo :colbert:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mailer posted:

Crusader Kings 2: Will emperor-san notice me?

To distract from those terrifying images, a query: is there a circumstance where a vassal (always high positive, not at war) just won't let you raise levies? It's happened a few times with counts/dukes where the buttons are greyed out and I have no idea why they wouldn't give me troops. It's rare but weird.
CKII: Super Sayia-Jin Sengoku

Two cases could explain it :

1- They are theocratic vassals ,and like the Pope more than thye like you
2- They used up all their levies fighting their petty internal wars.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DStecks posted:

I'm still waiting for a Pope Insanity event chain.

Will this do?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hellsjudge posted:

What I've been doing is with a small investment of about 150 gold you can get a pope elected then fleece the poo poo out of him. You can get into the 3000s before he starts hating you if you have enough piety to ask for money at least four times.

Unrelated but I feel it should be stated because there is no tooltip for this for some obscure reason :

You can increase your candidate's election fund by 50 with Shift-click and 100 with Ctrl-click.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Nolanar posted:

Can you still use the console in ironman games? I want to retry my Republic of Brittany game now that my grad school applications are in, but I need that initial console weirdness to set it up. I'm not worried about achievements, since I'll be using the character builder anyway.

Nope, the console is disabled on Ironman.

Also, there is no point to Ironman besides the Achievements.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Riso posted:

And the bragging rights.

I thought I mentionned the achievements already

hiyooooo

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Finally, finally, finally got the Shaoshyant achievo after days of trying. When I'd figured out the ultimate fool proof strat,

Is it the strat you talked about earlier or something else? I'm interested.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Seoinin posted:

So how badly am I screwing myself over if I'm not min-maxing my demesne? I've been spoiled by my Ireland and Byzantium playthroughs giving me serious no-brainer options on the matter, and now that I'm stuck out here on the Iranian plateau with a bunch of 3 holding counties I'm having a hard time figuring whether or not I should just tough it out with the Duchy of Merv and the Duchy directly south of there.

I would throw my weight around and maybe grab that incredibly sweet turf around Rayy, but I stupidly put resources into tech and developing Merv and man it would suck to waste that.

e. also it doesn't help that the stuff I really want is held by solid, loyal dudes I would rather not gently caress over.

Hamadan is by far the best duchy in Persia. It's worth it to take over, if gradually.

Esfahan is also good but that's where the Zoro church and the Immortals pop up so...

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Raged posted:

For everyone who reads the thread and has not yet bought the game or certain DLC there is good news. CK 2 and almost all the DLC is %75 off.

Quick question for the long time players. Is there any DLC that we should not get?

Sword of Islam and Sunset Invasion are probably the least worthwhile Content DLCs. All of the cosmetic dlc (songs, portraits, shields) can be safely skipped if you wanna save some dough.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Caufman posted:

Whoa, I have to disagree about Sword of Islam. Islam is the light, haven't you heard?

Does anyone have a link to that comic of a player who's reluctant to play as a Muslim ruler, and then comes back from Hajj a true believer?

Everyone loves playing a Muslim at first.

Then the Decadence begins to grow

and grow

and grow

and nothing you do seems to amount to more than a slight stemming of the tides of Decadence.

then the decadence invasions begin.

then you gently caress off and go play a viking :black101:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Chevalier Cat posted:

Decadence is an incredibly easy mechanic to deal with, particularly since Muslims get no-tyranny imprisonment and execution for people of their own dynasty.

That's not "dealing with" Decadence, it's doing the exact opposite of the mechanic to the point where the game shits itself and gives up.

It's like saying the pre 2.0 100% Archbishop vassal realms "dealt with" the mechanic of vassal satisfaction.

e: All in my opinion, of course. If you enjoy playing Muslims that way, more power to you.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Or maybe that's how Muslims historically dealt with brothers and uncles once they inherited.

wait...that poo poo happened outside & before the Ottoman empire of the EU4 era? How loving ghastly.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Prowave Tierdash posted:

:aaaaa: I didn't even think about this. I am definitely doing this on my next Abbasid iron man run. Does having a standing merc stack not prevent you from declaring wars like raised levies?

Mercenaries do not prevent declaring wars, just like Retinues. They are exceedingly useful for Blitzkrieg landgrabs.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Piell posted:

You don't have to be Catholic - I've gotten it as a Miaphysite.

You know she's celibate right?

Random events causing pregnancy can fire even if the concerned character is celibate. It's better NOT to marry Jeanne d'Arc and hope one of your unwed sons bones her.

...that sounded so wrong.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait, after searching about it on google does the dishonorable penalty for someone blabbing about an assassination mission ever go away? That's bullshit if it stays forever.

Assassination plot cause a dishonorable malus that goes away after 5 years (everyone) or 20 years (the victim, if you give up the plot)

Straight-up assassins are forever. They are meant to be much more dangerous (see also : free revenge stabs) and to trigger the AI to attempt to stab you.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What are the penalties for destroying a kingdom title? I know revoking it is a -40 vassal opinion so is there anything else?

This is all due to the fact that this little underage prick somehow inherited a second duchy and created the title of Kingdom of Serbia all by himself before I could stop him. (I am super super strict about all duchies being in their de-jur borders and no single person gets more than one). I'm trying to figure out how much damage this is gonna cost me to undo this. There are no kingdoms in the Roman Empire! I'm on an Ironman game so I can't do trial and error.

-50 to all vassals that are part of the title De Jure. 10 years.

e: the wiki tells me this only applies to the highest-level vassals under said title, but I never care about Counts (as King) or Dukes (as Emperor) so I couldn't say.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 29, 2013

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Mali will be following their own Crown Laws if they are outside your empire's de jure borders until you drift them in. If their CA is too low then you cannot revoke titles in that realm. I think. I don't usually continue playing big empires, but that's what I remember from my Roman Empire game.

e : Misunderstood. If you gave your vassal the title, he now controls the laws until the kingdom drifts into your empire and knuc is correct.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

You pay them with Piety though don't you? Having them conquer a duchy to collect on their bill would be a bit odd.

Their initial cost is Piety; their upkeep is gold.

• Locked thread