Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

CaptCommy posted:

This may be a really dumb question, but how do you pick a bishop? I've always just let that happen automatically, didn't know I could do it myself.

If you click the religion button it'll bring up a list of your vassal bishops and the option to designate their successors. You could also revoke that bishop's title and give it to someone else if you need to do it right then and there for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I'm gradually absorbing England into my Irish empire, but one of my vassal dukes decided to jump the gun and start swiping English counties for himself. This is a problem because he's turning my realm into this ugly hodgepodge of dark lines as he destroys the de jure English duchies (not literally) and adds their counties to his own little fiefdom. Assuming I can get the counties back from him (he'll probably rebel the next time the crown changes hands), is there a way I can reconstitute the original duchies? Do I have to destroy the claims and then reform them?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

How good/bad are the Arab camel warrior retinues? I've seen a lot of people in this thread saying that cultural retinues are usually the best, but also that light cavalry is kind of crummy. The +60% defensive bonus that camels get sounds pretty unappealing, though right now my retinue consists of two camel warrior units and they seem to be doing pretty well against Viking raiders and any enemy armies of equal size. I'm assuming it'd be a bad idea to have nothing but camels in my retinue, but is there a good ratio of camels:other troops?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Torrannor posted:

Defensive light cavalry are rather bad. You want light cavalry to hunt down enemy troops when they are routing, and that is where they have their best combat ratings. The defense is totally useless, and if you count on your light cavalry being even more resilient when they are fleeing is not a good tactic.

That said, having a certain number of light cavalry to hunt down fleeing enemies is generally a good idea. I would go with 2 camel retinues per 10.000 men you can field.

Great, thanks a lot!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I'd kill to have the religious conversion system from EUIV ported into CK2, maybe have its speed tied to your religion's moral authority. For some reason I'm fine with all the other councilor activities firing at random, but with religious conversion I wish you were at least making some progress towards converting rather than waiting decades with nothing to show for it.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Is there any advantage to creating a theocracy within your kingdom? Merchant republics bring in more gold than a county or duchy might, but do theocracies do anything special? I created one in a previous game but didn't seem to be getting anything good out of it.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

In my current game I won Jerusalem in a crusade and I'm trying to turn it into a king-level theocracy, but when I try to grant the prince-bishop the title it doesn't even show up in the list. Can the player not create king-level theocracies, or is there something else at work here? I know there's the 10% limit on republics/theocracies, but I've got all of Brittania and considerable chunks of the Iberian peninsula and Italy in my empire, so the 10% rule shouldn't be an issue. Within the duchy I gave the two non-Jerusalem counties to bishops as well, if that matters.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Balls. Thanks!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

When I snag a bunch of land via holy wars, is it worth it to install people (not family members, just randos generated through inviting holy men) in the baronies, cities, and bishoprics? If I give a county to someone along with all of the unassigned holdings, will they fill it with people of their culture or will it autogenerate courtiers from the local culture? And do the barons, bishops and mayors have any effect on cultural conversion, or does that only involve the count? Up to this point I've been generating people to fill in every holding before turning it over to a count, but after winning Jerusalem in a crusade, conquering all of the Iberian peninsula from the Muslims, and gradually claiming chunks of Arabia, generating people and marrying them off is getting really tedious.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It will stay within the culture you originally assign the main title to.

Oh god, so much time wasted. Thanks for the heads up, you saved me several hours of pointlessly doling out titles.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Charlz Guybon posted:

The money I borrowed from the Jews. Is there interest on that or a due date like in EU?

There's a flat 50g fee (so you owe them 350g when you pay it back) and you get a -10 penalty with your church vassals until the loan is repaid, but there is no interest or due date. Later you'll be able to borrow money from the Templars if you're Christian, which carries the same fees/penalties.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

A minor gripe, but something I've seen sprinkled throughout CK2 and its associated materials: "Arabic" is often used as an adjective, but this word is generally only used to refer to the language; in nearly all cases, it should be "Arab."

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Today I decided to try my very first ironman game as the Byzantines with the goal of reforming the Roman Empire. My starting emperor got nicknamed "the Cruel" although "the Undying" would've been more accurate because that fucker lived into his late eighties and was cranking out kids up until he died. During his reign I expanded the empire in pretty much every direction, retaking Anatolia and then chunks of the Middle East before the Muslims coalesced into big blobs, with the occasional swipes at Hungary, Bulgaria, and the Italian states.

By the time the emperor kicked the bucket, I think I'd about doubled the size of the empire. His son takes over (or rather, one of the few sons that he didn't outlive) and everything seems to be going alright, but then a bunch of dickbag dukes decide someone else would make a better emperor and depose my character. I managed to take back the throne a short while later thanks to the retention of my retinues, but by that point crown authority had been dropped to nothing (taking away my ability to revoke duchies) and the succession laws were somehow changed to gavelkind.

Continuing past this point seems like it's going to be a loving nightmare. I had based my playing around some advice I'd seen in this thread that it's better to forgo creating kingdoms because you get free duchy revocations, but do people really play the whole game with no kingdoms? I couldn't have been playing longer than a century and the amount of dukes I had to deal with was already daunting. Even with the free revocations, I think I'd still rather deal with a handful of kings.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

monster on a stick posted:

I was thinking about Ireland, mostly because (assuming I won holy wars against neighbors, which I think I can declare as a heretic?) it would help knock down Catholic MA and hopefully make things a bit easier. Plus no Karling clown car to deal with, at least right away, and everyone else would be too busy dealing with Ivar the Boneless.

I never did this in the game, but I remember that if I won a holy war, I'd take over whatever county/duchy was contested. One thing I never tried was changing succession laws for those areas before dishing out the titles, but this would be possible right? Would I have to wait 10 years for that particular holding to change to enatic?

Yeah, playing as a Cathar you can definitely declare holy wars against regular Catholics. If you're going with one of the Irish counties, immediately borrow money from the Jews and use it to hire one of the 75g mercenary companies, then use the mercenaries to holy war everyone around you. You should be able to get a considerable chunk of the island under your control before your money runs out. Once you've unified Ireland the game becomes almost boringly easy since you'll be able to holy war everyone to snag the remainder of the isles and few countries seem interested in trying to stop you. Those that do try to stop you usually don't have navies large enough to ferry their entire army over to you at once, so even if they outnumber you by a wide margin you'll be able to fight their armies piecemeal.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Farecoal posted:

There's been some other bugs, such as merchant republics being able to place trade posts anywhere on the map. Anyway, if you're doing the Old Gods start your only options would be the Byzantines or the Abbasids (Arabian empire). 1066 would have the Holy Roman Empire.

What's the normal distance limit on trade posts? I'd never played a merchant republic before so I created one in Ireland, and while I've kept my trade posts confined to the British Isles, I noticed that the other houses in my republic have some as far away as Alexandria (possibly even further, though that one most readily leaps to mind).

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Any tips for surviving the early game as Semien? Staying independent usually ends with one or more of my neighbors stomping my guts in after a year or two, and holy wars are out of the question for the same reason. Swearing fealty to a bigger kingdom seems to result in my character getting converted in short order, which kind of defeats the purpose of playing Semien. I'm pretty bad at playing tiny non-Irish rulers, basically.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I just started a game as one of the Irish provinces in 769. It's now 901, and I've noticed that all the Irish provinces that I don't own, as well as the provinces in the remainder of the British Isles, have changed from their 769 names to the usual ones they have in the Old Gods start. However, my provinces are still stuck with the old-style names (i.e. Desmond is still Deasmhumhain). Is there a way to get province names to convert automatically, or is it something I have to go in and change myself?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

How exactly does passing on traits like genius, quick, etc. work? If two genius parents have a kid who doesn't inherit the genius trait, will that kid's children be more likely to have it or am I basically restarting from zero? Is my Bene Gesserit breeding program going to eventually result in a race of Irish supermen?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

I could use a few pointers. I've turned my Irish chiefdom into a republic, but now I'm stuck with a couple of tribal vassals who don't like me much, and even if they did, they wouldn't give me more than a couple dozen troops. I have the opportunity to form the de jure kingdom of Ireland, but what'd be the point? Unless, would it make sense to start paying for my vassals' market villages to help them become grand mayors, too? I don't know what to do.

You can wait for them to upgrade the holdings themselves, but it'll likely take awhile. Better to do it yourself and be rid of the -30 wrong government type relations penalty.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I was playing as a merchant republic and noticed I had a -10 relations penalty with my vassals for holding too many duchies, despite only having two of them (or so I thought). After going through my titles, I noticed that I had a third titular duchy title. I ended up destroying it to get under the duchy limit, but now I'm seeing that that title apparently prevents kings from wanting to lead the republic if I ever turn it into an empire. Did I gently caress up, or will I be alright if I never have any king-level feudal vassals?

E: Regarding trade zones, does it matter which family controls each zone, or only which republic? Will I still get a bonus to trade income if I have a post in a zone controlled by my republic, or do I have to be the one with the most posts to see any benefit?

FeculentWizardTits fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 21, 2014

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Volkerball posted:

If you're the doge, I think you get a bonus. It doesn't really matter, because your entire objective is to build as many trade posts for your family as you possibly can. I play a lot of merchant republics and I have no idea what you're talking about. What was the name of the title?

The titular title was the Republic of Dubhlinn, which I assume was created when I went from tribal to republic. It didn't have any territories/vassals assigned to it.

I was already building as many posts as possible, I just wasn't sure how much the location mattered. I noticed the AI was building multiple posts in the same sea tile, but the CKII wiki mentions that it's supposed to be better to have one post in adjacent tiles forming a contiguous series of zones. I wasn't sure if family ownership for a particular tile mattered; the AI seems to be building posts like it does.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I learned a valuable lesson today: creating an Irish merchant republic is an exercise in frustration. Dealing with the constant Viking raids is obnoxious enough when you're feudal, but now you have to worry about them razing your trade posts and setting you back hundreds of gold. I think I've developed a Pavlovian response where my blood pressure rises every time I hear the jingling bell notification noise.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

UrbicaMortis posted:

Man, Spy On is fun but a little silly. I was using it to try and assassinate the heir to West Francia since the next in line is matrilineally married to my daughter. Instead I kidnapped him and just got away with keeping the king's son in prison for a few years until he died. I kind of feel there should be more consequences for that.

So you're like a more competent version of this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY41eD4lS28

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

My heir was imprisoned (I don't know when or why it happened), how do I get him out of here? He was imprisoned by the King of Norway.

Sounds like he got captured in a Viking raid. You can wait until they try to ransom him back to you, or you can take the intrigue focus (if you have Way of Life), then right click on your son's portrait and select the option that lets you bust him out of prison.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

Thanks, that makes sense since I'm in Ireland, do Norwegians still do raids even if they're Christians?

I thought they stopped raiding once they converted to Christianity, though it might also be a function of whether they're still tribal; I remember that in the Charlemagne start you can still raid people as any of the Irish counties even though they all start off as Catholic. Maybe someone else can fill you in on this, as I've never played any of the Scandinavian countries.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

As a merchant republic, should I be granting lands to the men of my dynasty? I remember reading here a long time ago that landed people generate more children, but doling out lands seems to lower the number of trade posts I can build (unless something else worked to lower it at the same time) since the men leave my court, and my dynasty never seems to stay in power for very long in the vassal counties/duchies that I dole out.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Thanks guys!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

What do Viking raids actually do? I only now realise I've been spending a horrifying amount of effort hunting the bastards down and I don't know why. Do they reduce the amount of tax income I can collect?

They steal money from your pocketbook if you let them siege the province all the way down, which also carries the risk of having some of your family members taken prisoner and possibly made into concubines or sacrificed to the gods. The looted province gets a modifier that lowers its tax income (and levy reinforcement rate?) for a period of time, as well. If you're a merchant republic, they can also completely destroy trade posts, setting you back at least 90 gold.

If they're going after provinces in your personal demesne then it's in your best interest to scare them off, but if they're raiding your vassals then I think you can ignore it with few repercussions (it may even be to your benefit, as it'll leave your vassals weaker).

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I decided to take advantage of a lower crown authority revolt in England to swipe a city in York from the revolting faction. While fighting off the English army to ensure the revolt kept going, I managed to capture about half of the English court, including a prince who became king when his dad kicked the bucket. Now I've got the king of England sitting in my dungeon, but I'm not at war with him (just hostile since we're competing for the same turf); is there anything useful I can do with him besides ransoming him?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Sky Shadowing posted:

If you're Germanic religion, hold onto him then hold a blot when you can. If you're not, you can plot to kill him, or just toss him in the oubliette.

Unfortunately I'm playing an Irish merchant republic, so sacrificing him wasn't an option. I ended up hanging onto him for a bit, then executing him and immediately declaring war on his heir (who had zero allies) so I could seize York.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The CKII wiki says that having contiguous trade zones is supposed to provide a boost to your income. I've got a 15-province trade zone running from Iceland along the west coast of Ireland and down to the Straits of Gibraltar, but I can't figure out what I'm getting from this, if anything. My trade posts' income appears to be unaffected; is there some way to see what I'm getting out of it?

E: Derp, never mind. Right after I posted this I was hovering over some of the numbers on one of my trade posts and found the bonus there.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

What's the reasoning behind merchant republics not being able to usurp kingdom-level titles? It's a big pain having to completely dismantle a kingdom just to swipe the crown so you can lower the number of direct vassals you have.

Also, what's the balance reason for boats costing so much upkeep-wise? Playing as Ireland I have to use boats to get my retinue places in a timely manner (or onto the continent) and calling up my own boats ends up dropping my income to -30. I know you can call up vassals' boats and not pay the upkeep, but then you have to go through the extra steps of lumping the disparate fleets together. Would having a perma-fleet really break the game?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Strudel Man posted:

It's the holy orders. I really think they need some toning down, because 10,000 man stacks of heavy infantry and cavalry can wreck anyone less than empire-sized, or at least double-kingdom, and catholics have like five or six of the things available.

On a related note, something definitely seems a bit off when the Knights of Calatrava can almost singlehandedly boot the Umayyads from Andalusia during a crusade. They eventually got some help from other European powers, but most of the crusade was the Knights' doomstack trouncing the Muslim armies as they tried to group up. I'm mostly mad because they won practically the entire Iberian peninsula right before I could snag some territory there and holy war the heck out of the place.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Right now I'm Doge, but I'm pretty old. When I die, another family will take over as Doge (which is fine by me; it means I can cement my family's monopoly on the Adriatic trade zone) which means I will no longer be a Duke-level ruler, and I will no longer have ownership of the city of Venezia.

As was already mentioned, it's in your best interest to not let the AI take over the republic, ever. You'll lose out on a significant amount of income and the AI will probably do a lot of stupid poo poo once it's in charge. Dump money into the campaign fund in the republic menu so your son will be elected as the next doge. You can also designate someone else from your dynasty to succeed you by awarding them the honorary title of Designated Heir, which can be revoked later if someone better comes along. Bear in mind that age counts for a fair bit when determining how many election points (or prestige, or whatever it's called) someone has, which is why you'll see the other houses in the republic fielding a bunch of old farts as their candidates. Early on when you don't have that much money you may need to rely on older and crappier candidates just to stay in power, but pretty soon you'll be swimming in money and can nominate 16-year olds to succeed you and drop a grand in their campaign fund to make up for their young age.

On the subject of merchant republics, is it a good or bad idea to give other patricians cities/holdings? I've been avoiding it under the assumption that it'd make them more powerful and a thorn in my side later, though now I'm a Grand Prince and I doubt it matters anymore. Does it create problems with vassalage? Like, can a patrician be a vassal under one of my vassals? I seem to recall running into a problem with this when I tried to give a duchy title to someone but couldn't because one of the county holders was a patrician.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I've hit a bit of a snag that I haven't had much luck finding a solution for. I currently own all of England, and personally hold the county of Middlesex. For some reason I can't grant anyone else the county of Middlesex; it doesn't even show up in the list of possible titles I could grant. England (the faction) doesn't exist anymore, so the county isn't the goal of any wars, and I'm not at war with anyone. Since I started out in Ireland, my capital is not and has never been London. Any ideas why I can't give it away?

E: After a little more poking around, I think I may have figured out what the problem might be. This lady:

Even though her liege is my vassal, I'm not able to retract her vassalage.

FeculentWizardTits fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 16, 2015

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Torrannor posted:

I noticed this change in WoL, apparently you can't give away the de jure capital of your primary kindom, even if it isn't your actual capital. Is your primary title the Kingdom of England or Empire of Britain?

The Empire of Britain. Up until a few minutes ago I didn't have the Kingdom of England since I'm playing as a merchant republic and couldn't usurp it.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Volkerball posted:

Why on earth would you want to give away the best county in Britannia?

Because I care more about pretty internal borders than levies or income at this point.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Is there any way to view bride prices without having to select them as a match for the groom? Also sorry Karlings, your imbecile courtier with no titles or claims to her name isn't worth 305g+.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

When a barracks says it's adding x number of heavy infantry and pikemen, what exactly is it adding that number to? Are these added directly to the levy and then further boosted by the walls and keeps that increase levy size by a percentage? I just realized that I've been building everything based on more = better but don't have a clear picture as to what these buildings are really doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

One of the Pope's barons in Rome has set up an Antipope. Since I can't declare war on the Pope to depose the Antipope, do I have to get stabby if I want to pull Catholicism's moral authority out of the shitter?

• Locked thread