Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is that that first Lunars rape sidebar or the second? Because there were two, one sensible and the other terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mexcillent posted:

Ethan Skemp also had a hand in that book, but I'm not sure who wrote that sidebar.

Malcolm wrote the first (good) one, and Ethan Skemp wrote the other one.

He meant well, I am told, but as I understand it he was extremely uncomfortable with the topic, and I've heard his approach to dealing with sensitive issues in this case described as "Okay! Gonna be sensitive now! Gotta be sensitive! Sensitive! RAAAAAAAAGH!" and then running at the topic screaming with his eyes shut.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oligopsony posted:

The Lunars book was more sophisticated than it's often given credit for, but "civilization is bad" is a very inapt way of expressing it. It's natural for the Dragon-Blooded and their allies to do the "civilization" talk because that evokes the moral framework imperialists have always operated within. Their victims tend to see themselves as just as civilized - which I think was an advantage of the 2e treatment.

I think you could describe the take on Lunars in 3e by saying "Okay, we're doing Lunars from 1e again; we just won't assume they actually believe the stuff they say themselves."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oligopsony posted:

What's the current policy on the, uh, other stuff.

I could not say except that clearly the way they did it in 1e didn't work. So probably something different!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

BDSM-fu aside, I'm honestly surprised to see that some people are pushing for Dreaming Pearl Courtesan style to make a corebook appearance. That's the one where the ultimate technique is turning into a seahorse-monster, right? That one always made me wonder who in the world looked at that and went "Yes! Finally the answer to all my character creation prayers!"

Well, if you ignore that particular Charm, it's a fairly useful martial art for courtesans or scholars or basically anybody who wears scarves or long sleeves.

Which is what I pretty much figure they'll do: remove the gazelle-carp, resulting in a broadly-applicable martial art for many character types, perfectly suitable for the corebook.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

QuintessenceX posted:

Man, you and I don't have the same tastes at all. I dug alot of the Ink Monkeys poo poo and so far I've really enjoyed most of the books put out by the new group. Who is Neph, just out of curiosity?

Neph is Nephilpal, aka Michael Goodwin, who wrote, among other things, the Charms for 1e Alchemicals, 2e Infernals, and Abyssals of all editions so far.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

As far as mechanics previews go, it seems pretty obvious to me that there are no mechanics previews because the book isn't done yet. I mean, it's not really even a secret, so I don't know why people aren't jumping to what seems to me to be the obvious conclusion—that Holden and hatewheel have no intention of showing anybody anything that could be criticized until the whole rules draft is ready to be sent to the playtesters.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Solars would probably look a bit more unique if Lunars and Dragon-Blooded, the other two most "core" Exalted, got a decent Charmset that wasn't essentially a color-coded and slightly worse version of what Solars do.

"I am the best at Abilities" is more meaningful when other people get "I am a shapeshifter" and "I am a soldier of the elements" than it is when they get "I am best at Attributes" and "I am good at abilities, plus fire!"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, that's not really "a weird obsession," that's "doesn't want to see a core tenet of the game changed."

If you wanted to make the Solars not the mightiest Exalts, you would have to rewrite pretty much the entire game setting.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dodge Charms posted:

Giving the Solars some better themes could help fix this. "Better themes" means the themes must restrict their power-set in some way, to leave room for other splats to be best at something.

I don't think you actually have to be the best at anything to be a fun splat, even in mixed games. You just have to be unique.

In support of this, I note that people mostly make these complaints about Lunars and Dragon-Blooded. They don't often make them about Sidereals, because even in the broken state 2e left them in, they were appreciably different from the other splats, even the other Ability-based splats and had their own tricks.

If you were playing in the West, one player could be a Sail-using Solar and another could be a Sail-using Sidereal, and both of them would have the opportunity to contribute and would feel meaningfully distinct.

You don't need to change Solars to fix this problem; you just need to make it so that the other splats aren't trying to chase after them by using Charms that are trying to accomplish the same things using a bit less raw dice and a coat of silver paint.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't know why people always play cross-splat, but I do know that they do. A very large percentage of games are either all-Solar, all-Terrestrial, or Solars-plus-some-other-things. A game of everybody-is-the-same-splat-and-they-aren't-Solars-or-Dynasts is quite rare!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Solars don't have to be the mighiest Exalts any more than Sidereals have to be viziers. They just are, because that's how they were written, and nobody has come up with an argument for changing it that was good enough to convince the people who would have to be convinced.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Niche" is probably the wrong word, because the game isn't actually designed to give any particular group a guaranteed mechanical niche. Splats are designed around methodologies and ways of doing things rather than having a specific thing they all do.

The best place to see this where it's actually working is Alchemicals. Alchemicals don't really have any particular niche or a specific Thing Alchemicals Do, but they do have a way of doing things (modularity providing facility with many tasks but only one at a given time) which determines the shape of their Charmset.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile, in an effort to leave this hopeless, unresolvable tangent behind forever, I will note that the quickstarter adventure has been revealed to be called Tomb of Dreams.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't see any point in expecting it during 2013.

I mean, if they decide to give out the .doc draft like Chuubo or other games did, we might see that this year? Maybe? But probably not.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Swagger Dagger posted:

Not really. The printed copies are late because the printer royally screwed up the embossing on the covers and they had to be completely redone, but the PDFs went out a long time ago.

Pretty sure even the PDF was a lot later than it was supposed to be. This caused some additional problems because the God-Machine Chronicles came out very shortly afterward and Mummy wasn't built to work with the God-Machine (as it probably would have been if they'd realized it would come out just a month or two before).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'd sooner see something equivalent to the Great Game from Weapons of the Gods. We just need to get Jenna writing for Exalted again!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

BryanChavez posted:

Oh god, gently caress you for even making me think of that. I would legitimately kill another human being to see the Great Game in Exalted. And also to see Jenna Moran writing for the line.

Once it's actually possible to buy Chuubo I'm going to have to start considering whether it's in good taste to sell it via "Would you like to see Jenna writing for other games again? Buy this book!"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Four Legs Good, Two Legs Bad."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Calde posted:

The artists (thankfully!) forgot that Princess Mnemon is an eternally 16 red-headed beauty. She actually gets older and older in the art as the game moves on, actually. Oddly it wasn't retconned out of the fluff; I just looked and it's still in the text about the fall of the Versino in the Black & White Treatise.

It is really quite difficult to get artists to follow changes to a character's look in the text when they have pictures to go on.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Shardix posted:

I could have ignored and excised all the terrible/gross setting details but if combat is still a pain in the rear end, why bother? Slightly less awful is still awful.

He didn't say it was awful, just that it was fiddly. Wouldn't you expect a combat-heavy game to be mildly fiddly? The question is whether it's fun.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I tend to assume that the Loom gives you vast amounts of almost meaningless raw data that requires either specialized magic (Sidereal Lore Charms) or a vast team of highly-trained number-crunchers to make sense of.

Basically, it gives you a copy of every receipt printed in the world and using those to figure out a nation's GDP is your problem. In theory you could use that economic data to pinpoint the location of a famous criminal or to determine what city President Obama is visiting, but it's harder than just looking it up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mendrian posted:

I'm not saying I think Exalted 3 will have these things. I don't think it's happened before. I'm just saying I would pay money to lock out the possibility.

Exalted 2e actually did have Homestuck references.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mendrian posted:

You have to tell me now. I have to know, so I can then go back in time and stop it.

You would fail, and yourself become a Homestuck reference.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I've never been super-fond of Limit. It seems to exist as a result of the confluence of two factors:

1) the writers wanted a mechanic to insure that your character occasionally flips out and does something dumb
2) the writers thought that people would flip out if they were forced to use personality mechanics without some kind of "evil mojo made me do it" excuse

I would as soon be rid of the lampshade and have rules that include occasionally doing stupid things.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Holden doesn't actually have anything to do with the comics.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Ignoring the whole cheesecake angle, I kind of wish they weren't doing comics again period because the ones in 2E were almost uniformly awful. I'd rather have just about anything else, up to and including blank pages.

The books have fiction. This comic is a stretch goal.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Speaking as somebody who's become involved in the creation of RPGs, I think people don't appreciate how terrified writers and developers are of those austere and majestic creatures, artists. Talking to artists always makes me nervous. What if they scorn our project as unworthy? What if they get offended and refuse to continue spinning our straw into gold? We just can't take that risk!

(I have no idea why artists are socially privileged above writers, but they are. Which is kind of saying something, actually. Well, no, I do know why it is: everybody here thinks they could write if they worked at it but only some of us can draw.)

So, yeah, there are social factors that tend to mean that artists often are not prevented from doing things they definitely want to do, and nerds are not exempted from them when they start making their own games.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ettin posted:

I came here to post this ironically and now I can't tell if you stole my thunder.

It's ironic but not actually false.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

xiw posted:

Is this a new preview?

No.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

It has and supposedly the game drops in June.

Where did anybody say that? Getting the game in June doesn't sound remotely realistic even if they gave the whole thing to layout today.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I guess I cannot blame somebody for believing the Onyx Path official schedule since it is in fact right there. I am sorry.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Sending out KS surveys is awful and probably will take until tomorrow night to finish.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Punting posted:

As far as specific books go, here is some advice:

Step 1: Acquire Infernals.

Step 2: Open book to the first page of Chapter Three.

Step 3: Apply power saw.

Step 4: Burn Chapters 1 & 2 without reading, no regrets.

You can probably skip chapters 3 and 4 as well, although reading them won't actually sear your eyes or get you arrested.

Honestly you should probably just read the Charms and skip straight to the Broken-Winged Crane.

Or just not read them at all, since 3e is going to use a whole new paradigm anyway.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Bardlebee posted:

I'm glad he got the funding. But why start the second if you aren't done of the first?

Well, they probably finished writing everything the first time and now want to give it all more playtesting before the next round of editing, so the writers have free time that can go to Arms of the Chosen.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Stephenls posted:

Wushu, too, I think. Nobody ever says Wushu is incoherently designed.

People have been pretty nice about Chuubo but maybe they just didn't feel like hate-reading a 1,000 page draft manuscript or buying a Kindle.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

RPZip posted:

Where's his big essay again? I remember reading it, but I can't remember where.

Here.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Even if there's no copyright or other disclaimer in the file itself, which isn't otherwise for sale or something, and even if I haven't signed any kind of NDA? Note I'm just talking about finding and reading it here, not distributing it.

There doesn't have to be. Any material that's written down in concrete form is copyrighted without the need to say so or register it anywhere.

It's not surprising that most forums aren't permitting discussion, becuase it they did it would create a months-long disparity between people who had read it and the people who didn't want to go against the writers' request and no longer knew what anybody was talking about.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

YES WRITERS, I PLEDGE MYSELF TO THY REQUEST, I SHALL TURNETH AWAY MINE EYES FROM THE VILE LEAK LEST I BE CORRUPTED

It's not surprising that a lot of people ignore the request!

But it also isn't surprising that a lot of fans accede to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

HOW DARE YOU, YOU CRIMINAL

Copyright violation is a civil offense, not a criminal one.

/themoreyouknow

• Locked thread