Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm pretty sure the Montreal one is somewhere in Fletcher's Field or at the base of Mount Royal if its paired with Verse 2. The image has the Montreal Flower in it, refers to Pie IX station (the square with PX1), and if you count that to the end of the green line (21 stops) you get off basically at Mount Royal. The Mount Stephen club has the same weird statue as on the pope dude as well which is right outside the same station. The three stand watch could refer to the three peaks, and the sound of friends in the afternoon would be the tam tam players that surround the George Etienne Cartier statue. The palace could refer to the Crystal Palace that was in Fletcher's Field. I just can't figure out what the gnomes and fays are about but its been a while since I've been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Quebec doesn't have a significant celtic heritage, at least outside of the Irish-Canadian group.

I'd also be curious to know if the tam-tam groups were around 30 years back, they seem like a more recent phenomenon to me.

According to wikipedia they started in 78.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Verse 5 also refers to a sovereign people where Quebec had just recently had a vote on sovereignty.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Here's an album with some help for the montreal pics:

http://imgur.com/a/4o2yk

and here are my thoughts on it.

The "music note" on the flower seems to be 67, so referencing the expo.

The P1X thing could be a flag of some sort not a P, like a golf flag, racing flag something like that. Perhaps where two roads meet? A major and minor road. Could be something with the namesakes?

Outline of the three peaks of Mont Royal perhaps? I can't find a could source image online.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 5, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Montreal

So why the checkered pattern everywhere? Well maybe it has something to do with this?

Finishing first gets you the checkered flag?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

PunkNickel posted:

Cask 9

It may just be the starting point of the search. I also found that another notable St. Stephen member was Pierre Trudeau, who is known for campaigning for civil rights, liberty and notwithstanding clause. In a nutshell, he was all about human rights of Canadians.

Somewhere in the thread the books content was talked about, and it's about immigration. If that's true, then Pierre Trudeau would fall in with that. So, we have 2 noteable people hanging out at the same place, that have to do with the context of the book in some fashion, with the very obvious legeater. It would make sense that this may be where you start the search, imo.

The Canadian constitution/bill of rights came after the book.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Montreal

Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!

I thought before that this part could refer to the Crystal Palace that was near McGill and then moved to Fletcher's Field before it burned down, but it might also have to do with the ice palaces that Montreal built during the late 19th centure during its Winter Carnival. They were erected in Dorchester Square which is two blocks from the Mount Stephen club.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Le Monstre wasn't built until 85.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I was already planning to do.

The question is where do you get the metal?

You can get lengths of metal rod at home depot.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Unicode was developed in 1991.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Of course they were but that particular language set with all three symbols wasn't.

I think the runes may simply be a marker in the end.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I still think its possibly nearby the legeater and as I stated earlier it may have something to do with Dominion/Dorchester square and I have a few more reasons for that aside from the Ice Palaces that used to be built there. I can tie the namesakes meeting to that square as well. Sir John A Macdonald and Wilfred Laurier both have statues in this square that face each other in a sort of stare down as though they are meeting once again. There's also a statue for the Boer War, perhaps linking to the dutch. 67 in the flower could refer to the founding of the Dominion of Canada, not the Expo itself, thus Dominion square.

Oh yeah and during WWII, the British Crown Jewels were held at the Sun Life Building in Montreal, adjacent to the square.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 9, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hi nose.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Merlot Brougham posted:

I like the Boer War angle.

And this:

That building was built in the 90's sadly.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I really hope its not in the square cause it was renovated over the last 4 years, but like I think it is.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

stab posted:

some pics of dorchester square

the interesting one is the fountain...look at the hollow part of it and compare it to the hat.

as well, its part of a statue of a lion lying down, dedicated to her SOVEREIGN queen victoria...does that fit a verse?

thanks tia

Cool pics, but that info on the plaque that adds to 15 won't help since a lot of those buildings were built after '81-'82 and the plaque itself is from 2004.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Something I just noticed....

Saint Patricks Basillica, a few blocks north of Dorchester/Dominion square.

And it definitely has a bell tower.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah I'd be willing to read through all the Montreal stuff if I can get access to the Q4T threads.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

So I'm reading through the q4T Montreal/St.Louis thread. Nothing interesting so far, until I got to this which is pretty hillarious:

quote:

Wrll, here is the present status of St. Louis. I suspect the Friedrich Jahn sculpture, in Forest Park, as the site of the treasure. It is U-shaped (verse 2: in the middle of 21=U from end to end), and there ius a recebtly renovated boathouse with a waterway leading up in the direction of the sculpture (verse 2: 15[O???] rows down to the ground.) That last line coukd be a reach; I am puzzled. The plaques on the sculpture are appropriately black and gold, and there is a large center-plaque with two torches in a large X-pattern.
The sculpture features a stern bust with a gymnast to eack side. One of the hands on one of the gymnast's resembles the pointing hand in the pic. Behind the sculpture woukld be a very well hidden place to dig.
So, I decided to dig and . . .
I found something. A glass/plastic vial with a rolled up message inside (1' below surface). You can imagine my excitement when I unrolled the handwritten, photocopied parchment, which reads:
We are many countanances [misspelling], some happy, others severe. We are surrounded by our naturally shapen brothers. Your next clue lays beneath the eastern most of our number.

What?! Huh?! Could I have stumbled on another treasure hunt? One of the gymnasts is more eastern, and I tried to dig a little there, but the ground was too hard.
What in the Fair-Folkin' world?
***I am considering sonar.*** Any advice, Willhouse?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

11 is in the middle of 21 though. 1-10, 12-21.

The Q4T thread seems to think that the middle of 21 end to end refers to a U shape, as if you join the two ends of 11 you get a U.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Guuse posted:

Montreal

I'm really beginning to lean more to the cask being at the foot (or near) the Victoria Monument in Victoria Square. Has that changed at all since the early 80s? It's pretty close by and you can definitely read "giant step" and "giant pole" into her statue! Also, I'm having a hard time finding decent pictures but it looks like her hands might match the ones in the puzzle-picture! So with Verse 7 we start in Dorchester Square/Place du Canada, go to St. Patrick's Basilica and end up in Victoria Square.

Coincidentally, it's been mentioned that the solved puzzles had the names of nearby streets hidden in the pictures. The lapel has P, X, and 7. If you flipped it upside down you can get B (lower case), X and V. Beaver Hall Rd and Viger Ave. intersect (X) right at Victoria Square!

Furthermore, while I think that we've only tied 67 to the 1967 Expo, 1867 is also an important date. Apparently, this is when the Dominion was formed and that was one of the steps in Canada's road to independence. That ties Dominion Square (Dorchester Square and Place du Canada, ya?) with Victoria Square, too, since she was queen at the time!

Very exciting! When I get home tonight I'll try to see if I can find some decent images of Victoria's statue to try and figure out how her fingers are actually positioned compared to the puzzle-pic.

I previously tied 67 to the Dominion of Canada, its how we started talking about that square.

If we're going with the giant pole theory its more likely imo that that would refer to Nelson's monument since its a giant column. Also her hands don't look anything like the guy in Cask 9's photo.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

What park is that?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I walked all through the Boston Public Library, Copley Square, Commonwealth Avenue Mall, Public Gardens, and Boston Commons. Nothing really stood out. I took a few pictures but nothing really matches. So much detail on all the buildings that some are bound to be similar but no perfect matches. I did find legeaters on lamps all through the Public library entrance though they are not as well matched as the "Montreal" one. Just shows that it may have been a common thing at some point and that calls into question whether the one in Montreal is one of a kind.

I walked all around the library and Xenophon/Thucydides are only on the front.

I have been toying with the idea that, if the verse is matched to Boston, steps might mean "stops" on the green line (a stretch with the green light and metal walls) which would take you to Haymarket north/east and one of many points south/west. Haymarket is near the North End where the Italians are but I think that this line of thinking is not the right way to go. I like what has been done with "New York" recently in this thread and it might be nice to do with other pictures.

In Q4T thread they found both this legeater statue as well as one in NYC, though they were never to identify one with a hoof like in Montreal, always with a claw. They looked into manufacturers and such but were never able to find where the Montreal leageater actually came from.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Uhhh I dunno what you're seeing but I don't see it like at all.

Its not going to be nearly that obscure and weird to make out.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Ah, haven't read the thread for that image.

It doesn't mean that that legeater statue doesn't exist elsewhere though. The problem with cask 9 is that the only thing at all that ties it to Montreal is that foot and the fact that there is supposed to be a cask in Canada. Therefore, cask 9 could or should be Montreal. But there's not really much in the way of actual evidence (long lat is fuzzy at best, the collar sorta looks like the St. Lawrence near Montreal). They tried in the Q4T thread to find something else to either tie it to Montreal or to place that legeater elsewhere and I actually think that's not without value. They were able to find lightposts that were exact in every detail but the foot, so its not impossible that the feet could exist elsewhere as well.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 13, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its not going to be in 12 inch deep planters in a parking lot lol.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Anyone disputing the 4 doesn't understand perspective and foreshortening or thinks they do but doesn't. Like it may not actually BE a match, but I mean that would be because of coincidence not because its not a visual match between object and image.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm waiting on an email from an instructor at OCADU where I am a student. He wrote a book on Tutin Thomas and its possible he has information on the lamp.

NM, he returned my email and he wrote about his father.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That's awesome work.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

What does Vancouver have to do with Alaska?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Geographical proximity. He mentions in the story about the Russians encountering the Mohicans (page 23, from here):

Preiss was well versed in mythology and the creation myths of the various indigenous tribes. The whole book is basically him showing off about what he knew of mythology and tales of both the Old World and the New. He certainly knew this:

In 1980, the Bering Strait hypothesis was the only one going so it's undoubtedly what Preiss would have understood it to mean. Since he's got most of the ethnic groups moving to where they are most traditionally associated, the Russian fairies would head for Alaska.

Out of all of that, I get that he's implying the Russian fairies met the Mohicans before they had reached New York state, but after they had crossed the Bering Strait. The fairies were headed north and west the Mohicans were heading south and east. Elsewhere in the story Vancouver features prominently, so Vancouver as their meeting-place seems a reasonable deduction.

That is how I get a possible connection between the Russian image and Vancouver. It's an educated guess, but not a bad one IMO.

Except that that part of the book has nothing to do with the puzzle because he didn't write it and its been made pretty clear that its just filler and not to do with the treasure hunt.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The only problem with the square is how exactly does that tie into the legeater?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oh poo poo, I forgot about this. I was in Chicago in the middle of July and came across a copy of the leg eater in a design store. I forgot to email the store to find out if they knew the origin of that particular feature. I'm gonna do that.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'll be in Montreal at the end of the month and would take photos.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Is this thing like 10 hours away or something? Just drive your car or rent a car and take a shovel and dig a hole. I'm not sure why there's so much hemming and hawwing about doing it at the precise right time. The right time is now cause you can take the evening to dig a hole.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

HMMMMM, I've spent enough time to write a novella about this other novella and am sure where this prize is and I really really want to do it. Better post about it then re read my novella and alter the syntax and check out amazon for a camo shovel cause my other 4 shovels may break. Welp, bedtime, gonna dream about maybe digging and maybe post about maybe digging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'd just like to remind you all that I have seen a legeater statue replica in a store in Chicago. Just because one was stumbled upon in Montreal, doesn't mean that it is definitely the same thing.