Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think the Windows 8.1? Whatever the newest one is hosed touchpad stuff up because Microsoft is apparently loving incompetent/trying to force companies to update their drivers. My Samsung has the same problem and I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I think the Ativ 9 from Samsung is the only other one at that resolution that isn't a Mac.

It starts at lower specs, but I don't know about the price.

Don't give Samsung money those fuckers can go gently caress themselves. HEY GUYS LETS PUT IN AN ECO FEATURE THAT YOU CANNOT TURN OFF (well you can if your smart enough to find and delete lcdmodechecker or was it ledmodechecker.... whatever). Also I'm enjoying the touchpad update that took away features. Good hardware, I want to stab someone software.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I like my Ativ Book 9 plus foot long edition but Samsung tries it's damnedest with lovely software to make it suck. I'd get it from the microsoft store if you do get it since they don't allow most crapware. Oh and find and delete lcdmodechecker.exe it'll muck with your colors when on battery.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 19, 2013

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Here's the thing about the Samsung Ativa Plus Waffle Cut Edition. It comes with a nasty little program that will make your colors look terrible and desaturated on battery. Oh but Duck and Cover that's just an easy energy saving fix the options right here see? WRONG while there are options that you may think will turn it off they do not. You'll need to find LCDmodechecker and delete it I think it's in the settings program folder. Stupid piece of poo poo company can't just give honest battery life numbers so they add lovely software that makes your display look terrible just to inflate the numbers. Also trying to get rid of the settings program messes up your sound controls.

To long didn't read? Fine. Samsung Ativa Plus is good hardware poo poo software.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 30, 2014

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

We're complaining about crappy software? Samsung wins. My laptop came with a lovely as gently caress energy saving program that made my colors look terrible when on battery. (LCDModeChecker.exe) Oh and if you try updating through Samsung Update it will change your power settings back to their plan, and probably reinstall that lovely display software that you deleted.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 29, 2015

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Totally getting me that Surface Book. The question is dedicated graphics card or not. I'm leaning towards not because any game that would want/need it I'd probably just play on a desktop.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

No laptop with an off center trackpad is worth owning. I have spoken, so shall it be.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Surface Book 2 report here; OMG I HAVE A KEYBOARD how I missed you friend. I'm not sure I need the whole being a tablet thing, what with still having a Surface but hey whatever.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Animal posted:

Anyone has any experience/thoughts on the new Microsoft Surface Book 2? I'm considering selling my 2017 Razer Blade and my 2013 rMBP 15" to fund one, but would like some opinions.

Background: I own a Razer Blade 2017, because I'm constantly traveling for work and want something I can game on that doesn't look like it was designed by a 12 year old pro-gamer wannabe. I've had it for over six months now and I'm still not used to the large bezels and I can't get over the lovely trackpad. Owners online usually claim you won't mind the bezels after a while, but for me it has been the opposite, as time passes my revulsion for them only increases. It feels like I'm using a laptop from 2007. The bad trackpad with tiny buttons is another UI annoyance. So when I'm home I never use it. Instead, I divide my time between my gaming desktop and my old 2013 15" Macbook Pro, which I was supposed to sell to fund the Razer but I just can't bring myself to because I actually enjoying using the Mac and hate using the Razer for anything other than gaming.

Now this Surface Book 2 looks like the holy grail trifecta of design, UI, and performance. It packs a Geforce 1060, a sweet 3:2 screen with normal sized bezels, and what is supposed to be a very good trackpad and keyboard. Plus the insane battery life, and the detachable screen gimmick. BUT, its expensive AF. And it looks like it packs a 15w CPU instead of a 40w CPU, is this gonna make it slower than the Razer Blade? The lack of Thunderbolt 3 is unfortunate but not a deal breaker. I've also read some disturbing reviews that while gaming the battery will discharge fully even with the power brick connected.

So yeah, anyone else on the same boat of trying to justify the extravagant expense but nervous that it tries to do too much and will be a dud?

I got the basic one. I'd believe those reviews about the power brick the one that came with mine is 44w. I believe they make a bigger one. The machine feels well built and is a real answer to the Mac Pro. Oh well it's better than the new macs since those have a lovely keyboard because apparently being slightly thinner is what matters.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 19, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Upon further review and the SB2-15" arriving, I'm gonna swap down to the 13". The 1050 will handle the games I play fine, and I don't mind turning down settings to ensure that. The 15" is just *big* when I've used the 13" for so long.
Plus my GF was like "its bigger and the 13" already took up too much of your chest while we're laying in bed". So there's that.

The 13" no dGPU is that power brick. The dGPU gets you a bigger brick and the 15" gets an even bigger one. But yeah, on the 15"/dGPU the surface connector is maxed out and it can't quite power the CPU and GPU when they are both maxing out.

That makes sense but seriously give me a bigger brick! That's pretty drat dumb that they wouldn't give you a brick big enough to power even a maxed out laptop. I think 13"-14" is the right size with laptops bigger really feels too big to me. Most importantly though it doesn't have garbage unique drivers. It does however have annoying intel screen (hold on got to look this up...) intel display saving technology which I I dislike very much. It dims the computer when the display is displaying something dark. It does however beat Samsungs battery saving technique which was to make colors murky and look like trash on battery.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 19, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh dear what has this world come to, I'm considering getting that updated Razer Blade Stealth.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bull3964 posted:

So am I. I'm just waiting to see what the Surface event shakes out and waiting to seem some actual reviews of the dGPU model to see what the thermals and performance are.

It's likely going to be a tossup between the 1650 stealth and the MAG-15 unless MS surprises us all with a thunderbolt port on one of the new Surfaces.

Yeah I'm hoping they update the Surface Book I like mine well enough but I want to upgrade as it sometimes decides there's no keyboard/mouse connected. That chin on the Razer Blade Stealth is fairly ugly and the battery is smaller. I wish more companies did 14 inch laptops I think that might be my favorite size.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 24, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DrDork posted:

They all have something wrong with them, yeah. It's more a question of what sort of wrong-ness you're willing to accept at a given price point. The Helios, for example, has always had bad QC issues, but it's so cheap for what you get that it's still worth a recommendation. If you want less QC issues but more kinda confusing design issues, Dell and Lenovo have you covered. If you want sky-high prices and slick hardware with basically no customer support and almost a guarantee of suspiciously early mortality, Razor has a line of laptops with your name on it.

Honestly, Dell and Lenovo's laptops are probably the best for simple "it's not dead" reliability. They might have random other issues, but they'll at least turn on.

My Surface Book sometimes doesn't think the keyboard/mouse is connected. (I'll forgive it though it's fallen from my foot rest to the rugged floor multiple times). It cheats with power consumption thanks to Intel dimming the display on battery. FeatureTestControl if you want to know what to properly google it's different then adaptive brightness/contrast which clutters up the google results. Updates sometimes bring it back. Magsafe power cords suck, I switched to using an Apple usb c power adapter. There was my Samsung Ativ Book pro who cheated the power numbers by turning the display into complete garbage. (as I recall murky colors). You could fix it but if I'm remembering correctly updates sometimes brought the issue back. I bought a Thinkpad and people were like oh it totally doesn't have a poo poo display. Well the one I had used two different display manufacturers (one of which was worse, although I'm not convince they weren't both bad). I destroyed numerous magsafe power cords when I had a Macbook Pro. Oh and the display developed bright spots where the spacers were. (Oh what's that? It's my fault having it in a backpack? Rad) The Dell Inspiron was plasticky garbage that my college "required". I don't think the Dell failed me though just felt cheap. Maybe it did fail me I don't remember.

Edit 1: Oh yeah I had a Sony Vaio at some point I assume it was bad too. Bad touchpad maybe?
Edit 2: Did I have an Asus I think I might have.... ahh yeah a zenbook.
Edit 3: So many laptops I'd just like to point out the only one of these brands I've considered seriously buying another has been the Microsoft Surface Book.

So yeah laptops are terrible.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 3, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ilkhan posted:

GPU comparisons on the 22nd are going to be insane. Ice Lake vs Navi APU. That will be an interesting day.

The 13" 16GB/256GB is probably my SB1 replacement, with an upgraded SSD (because their SSD upgrades are still insanely priced).

I'm going to go either with Surface Laptop or the Razer Stealth to replace my SB1. I get the feeling the Stealth is going to have pretty bad battery life, and I'm concerned by how hot it may get.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DrDork posted:

I also use my 1080Ti and 100Hz 3440p screen to play a 6 year old MMO and Stardew Valley, so :shrug:

Even most modern games aren't all that taxing. Do you need a high refresh rate with high fps for X game? No you do not. I mean even for a FPS which their is a benefit you don't really need it to be effective. I also think going for a smaller ssd on a laptop is a great way to save money when it's an option.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 4, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Okay everyone talk me out of getting the 4k Razer Blade Stealth. Yes yes I know 4k is overkill for 13 inches but I want the glossy display.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Are you the guy who literally only played engineer on payload maps in TF2 for six years straight

I'm probably who you are thinking of but I did play other classes. I also played plenty of Torbjorn in Overwatch.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's a big improvement, but there are still big problems here:

- If you ever remove and replace those rubber feet to open the laptop, they're gonna disappear in your bag because they'll never stick properly again. I'm not convinced that won't happen with general use anyway.
- Half-size SSD. Not the biggest deal in the world, but cuts down a lot of options for replacement.
- Battery is effectively not replaceable. This is the dealbreaker. Even if you could find reasonably priced replacement cells for this laptop, it's just not a good idea to try and rip that poo poo out of the bottom case. The only safe way to do it is a total bottom case replacement, which is expensive, wasteful and stupid.

They did so many good things here, and then shat their pants and fumbled the ball at the 10 yard line. It's so cute that they made the headphone jack modular! Somebody was trying!

You're such a limited segment of the market they don't care. People do not take apart their laptops to repair them. I'd bet those changes were mainly done to make it easier for Microsoft to repair the computers and maybe slightly to lessen the whole "OMG Micro$oft didn't make it ezy for me to repair this is an OUTRAGE!" (which does damage, even to those who aren't going to repair it themselves).

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I miss swappable batteries but I'm not sure when the last time I would have had use out of a swappable battery.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 26, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Apparently you can get a 15" Surface Laptop 3 with Intel chips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F0WDu0_tn0

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

etalian posted:

The surface book 3 concept just sinks
-Worse battery life than the competition (only 48.5 Watt/Hr even for larger 15")
-Worse part replacement or upgrades due to using a weird SSD form factor / soldered RAM
-EMI foil/shielding on the inside which can easily get torn
-Worse video/gaming performance since it doesn't use Nvidia 1050/1060 GPU
-Negligible weight / footprint advantage vs similar 15" general use competition (XPS, Thinkpad, HP Envy)

Stop this. Stop shopping by metrics it makes the quality for things worse since it can't be easily measured.

1. Okay sure, but I imagine most people don't need more battery. Easy to measure that though. I like when companies just lie/ruin the experience to get run time numbers.
2. It isn't worse, Microsoft has stores most people aren't going to take apart their laptops.
3. Can it? Okay. I assume it's their for a reason but I don't care enough to look it up.
4. Yeah it isn't trying to be a gaming machine/heavy video editing machine.
5. Sure. Except that XPS is a Dell and I find Dells to be garbage relying on being so cheap people forgive the bad build quality.

I've had a Lenovo Thinkpad, and a Dell they weren't as nice as my Surface Book so, so yeah there's a reason you might want the Microsoft laptop. Just because a computer isn't designed for you doesn't mean it "just stinks".

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 27, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Demostrs posted:

it’s also not even the surface book 3 it’s from an entirely different line of products

I just kind of assumed he was talking abut the Surface laptop 3. I've totally made that mistake before, and think companies should learn to name there poo poo reasonably. Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus! Yeah okay.

Statutory Ape posted:

The notoriously poorly built xps series by dell

I'm assuming this is sarcasm. That's another thing you get people comparing the cheapest garbage to something that's ok and fawning over how great the build quality is. No it isn't great it's just not complete poo poo. Okay maybe it's amazing but my experience with Dell has been a lovely laptop ages ago for college, and my brother complaining about noise (I think it might have been an xps). Oh and I think I briefly fiddled with an XPS in a Costco.

Things may have changed, but I'm certainly not rushing out to buy an xps no matter what the specs may or may not say.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 27, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DrDork posted:

So you're basically admitting you have no idea what you're talking about in terms of the XPS, but are happy to spit opinions based on a completely different product line from years ago.

The XPS has pretty good build quality full stop. It may not quite be on par with the MBP in some aspects, but they keyboard also isn't total poo poo, so maybe that ends up being about a wash. There are only a very small number of laptops that one could say are actually higher quality, and even then it's not by much.

Basically: are you high, man?

Here's the thing I'm use to the Macs (I haven't bought one in awhile and they sure have their issues). I'm use to the Surface. The Surface (at least the book and the tablet) is comparable to the Macs, the XPS from my brief experience with it in Costco isn't. Could my opinion change if I gave it more time maybe but doubtfully. That's all there is too it. Like my original post was pretty much saying the surface is a premium machine like the Macs and feels as such while the XPS not so much. The XPS is indeed cheaper, but there's a reason for that.

Oh and have you been to the Dell/Lenovo sites? Having sales all the time is tacky as gently caress and lowers my trust in a brand.

Here's Linus not being impressed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0XCn3HhNo&t=722s.

Basically gently caress off I'm sorry (I'm not really) I didn't do oodles of research because what I saw matched my expectations and saw no reason to dig deeper.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 28, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Thanks! Was the 15” using a 4K screen too? I’ve read the complaints about how in general it reduces battery life and people’s frustration with UI scaling, but I haven’t had to do 4K scaling on Windows 10 so I’m not sure whether it’d impact me or not.

I think people vastly overestimate how much battery life they really need. Plug it in. Get a power bank. UI scaling issues are kind of rare these days, at least in my experience. I think poorly programmed games are the biggest offender.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

isndl posted:

While you're right in that most people don't actually need the full 12 hours or whatever battery life is advertised on a laptop, it does give you leeway two or three years down the line when the battery life has degraded so you can continue using the laptop as normal. I dislike power banks personally but mostly because it's another device to keep track of and keep charged, if you're already in the habit of using one then go for it.

UI scaling for 4k should indeed be a non-issue unless you're gaming or reliant on software over a decade old.

I get that but I also remember using cigarette to ac to power my laptop on car trips. Car trips that weren't 5 hours. My point wasn't that you'd need a power bank often, so much that you'd rarely even need a power bank if ever. The rare times you would need it you'd probably know ahead of time so it's really just an inconvenience those times you need it. They make them with pass through charging so keeping it charged shouldn't be too difficult. They also make ones that are chargers like [url]https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Portable-Charger-Foldable/dp/B01K702S66/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=powercore+fusion&qid=1573967846&s=electronics&sr=1-1/url].

It reminds me of people wanting really high range on their electric cars for trips they may possibly take rarely in the future. Sure you want some buffer for battery degradation, and cold weather but in the end people simply think they need more then they really do.

Oh yeah I also assume any stated battery life from a company is bullshit except for Apple. Apple seems pretty on the money while everyone else seems to cheat/lie.

Edit: oopsies wrong link fixed it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 17, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

isndl posted:

Even knowing ahead of time that I'd need a power bank, I'm just annoyed that I'll have to make sure it's plugged in after use or there's a chance that I'll forget to have it charged for the next time; I've already run into that problem a couple times with my bluetooth headset where if I don't remember to plug it in early I might run out of charge during a trip. A combination charging brick/power bank would probably neatly sort things but the tech isn't quite there yet with most laptops falling back to lowest common denominator charging profiles, perhaps in a couple more generations it'll be good. Right now all those devices seem targeted towards phones.

I don't think it's quite fair to compare electric car range and laptop battery life, because a dead laptop battery is mostly an inconvenience and you can plug in most anywhere and use it while charging, whereas a dead car is leaving you stranded while you call for assistance or spend significant time waiting on whatever charging station you can find.

e: also now that I'm looking at your linked charger, you're probably thinking of something else because that one is not a power bank at all, just a wall wart charging brick.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...ps%2C155&sr=8-3 or if your dumb with money that same thing for much more https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMQD2ZM/A/anker-powercore-fusion-power-delivery-battery-and-charger

Was what I was thinking it's only 5000mah though. I thought it was more.

There's multiple 100w ubc pass through power banks. By multiple I mean like 4-5 not exactly super common but they do exist. You still need a power charger for them and they're typically around $150-200.

Yep exactly like EV cars. People get so wrapped up in creating unlikely hypotheticals. Well it's less insane than EV hypotheticals. You can have a dead car with gas too. Seriously though the requirements people put on EV cars is nuts. Oh yeah 200 miles isn't enough because once a year I might take a trip that's 300 miles uphill in the snow and I don't want to stop to recharge.

Sure maybe for you a high capacity laptop is good but for most people? Well it doesn't hurt but it's certainly not all that important. I myself am probably going to buy a Razer Blade Stealth 4k and get one of the pass through powerbanks just in case but I know I'll probably never even need it. Maybe I won't bother.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 17, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That Amazon anker link isn't going to do jack for a notebook. It's USBA only. That's why the one on the apple store is more expensive.

Even still, the one on the apple store is only 30w output which can be hit or miss with many Windows notebooks.

It also only does 30w output when connected to AC outlet. It's only 15w when its running off battery which isn't going to charge a notebook.

I didn't pay attention however it wasn't really a good solution anyway at 5000mah or even at 10000 mah like this one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1484764-REG/anker_a1623011_powercore_fusion_10000mm2_in_1_hybrid.html isn't all that much. Really the solution is one of the 100w (or maybe one of the 60w depending) power banks with pass through but I knew the response to that is "I don't want usb c cords and a charger for the power bank and power bank that's too much" had I suggested just that. Again though this doesn't really matter most of the people being so concerned over battery life can just plug it into an outlet.

Statutory Ape posted:

People who are talking about acceptably large laptop batteries seem to have minimal understanding of how average people treat equipment imo.

Like yeah they don't need 12 hours of usage....if they ever charged their poo poo. Or had a charger.

The 12h of battery isn't bc they need continuous use, it's bc they need a parachute

A 12h battery is an insane buffer but I suppose this could be right.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 17, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Here's my like 10ish minute review of the Razer Blade Stealth. No Candy Crush. It can tell when it isn't receiving enough power and will complain. The baby shift key is annoying and I keep hitting the up arrow. It has stickers on it, seriously companies please stop doing that.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You know how I commented on companies cheating to get their battery life numbers? /.... that's weird the Razer has the opposite symbol on top for a keycap with an alternative shift. So the ? is underneath /. The 1 is on top of !.

Anyway as I was saying before I got distracted. Intels display power saving stuff can gently caress right off, it makes the display darker when you have dark stuff on the display.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Here's my like 10ish minute review of the Razer Blade Stealth. No Candy Crush. It can tell when it isn't receiving enough power and will complain. The baby shift key is annoying and I keep hitting the up arrow. It has stickers on it, seriously companies please stop doing that.

Day 1ish. Shift key still sucks. Synapse doesn't make permanent changes and so has to be running for the changes to take effect. This is noticeable when you sleep the computer and it decides to when you wake your computer make your keyboard glow/revert fn keys to being fn keys until synapse takes effect. I noticed this yesterday and isn't really a big problem but where I use my laptop most has a 2 prong outlet, it comes with a 3 prong power cord. It has a white led that pulses when sleeping.

I could have sworn there was a 100w with pass through power bank but apparently I was mistaken and at best you can get like 60w pass through.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh I know, there's probably many of those floating around the house I'm just not sure where. The Apple charger I'm using now is sufficient to barely charge it if I'm just surfing the internet/watching videos.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 22, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Whats the gestalt here on the Razer Blade laptops? They're obviously expensive, but hows performance/build quality?

I have a Blade Stealth and put it on the same level as Microsoft and Apple hardware by feel but I do not hear good things about the customer service. Who knows how well it'll age though. I don't like how you need to have synapse running for keyboard color/brightness and media fn key settings to take effect. I imagine I could dig deeper and find a way to set those things permanently but I'm lazy.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 5, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I think he looks better now than 12 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBryEqAosKs

I don't know why he thought looking blurry was a good look.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ashrik posted:

This is the segment of the market I'm interested in. I figure if Razer can stick this in a 13.3" screen, other can do it in a 14" one.

I think 14" is my favorite size unfortunately it's uncommon.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I liked my Surface, and Surface Book. They're nice computers with the added bonus of no weird software. Yes Razer you should totally require me to have your lovely software to keep the keyboard lights off and change the fn to media controls, brilliant idea.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 26, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

oliveoil posted:

Wow, so many helpful responses! Thank you all so much!

It sounds like the Surface line really would fit my mom better.

I know her previous laptop was a 15inch one and that she has a separate touch-screen monitor for drawing, so a 2-in-1 like the Surface 7 might not be necessary if it only comes in 13 inches while something like the Surface book 3 comes in 15. It looks like the 15inch surface book 3 also comes with much more powerful hardware.

What do you folks think of the Surface book line vs the Surface pro? Seems like the Surface book 3 is also a touch device but I'm not sure how pleasant it is to use a touch-screen laptop or if it is as good for drawing as the surface pro.

If she can hook up her big-rear end drawing monitor from some Chinese manufacturer though then maybe the touchscreen on the laptop doesn't matter at all.

Surface Book is due for a refresh and I hate the idea of buying something in that state.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3538392/will-microsoft-launch-surface-book-3-surface-go-2-and-surface-dock-2-soon-heres-what-we-know.html

Sounds like maybe May.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Eldred posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on the Razer Blade 15 Advanced? I'm debating it against the ASUS ROG Zephyrus 15, the cost difference is a bit ridiculous for similar components but the build quality looks to be better on the Razer. There seem to be stock issues with the Zephyrus 15 too if I'm not mistaken, though maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

This was the Zephyrus config I was looking at: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6448848

Vs the Razer model, which is $750 more expensive: https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/Razer-Blade-15/RZ09-0409BEA3-R3U1.

I don't have a strict budget here but the idea of paying an extra $750 for pretty similar components stings a bit. I'm leaning towards waiting for the Zephyrus to come back in stock, just wanted to get a second opinion. If anyone has ideas on similar laptops too I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Razer wouldn't sell me a speaker grill sticker (13 in stealth)for my laptop. Yeah gently caress them. I am so sick of companies competing to have the shittiest customer service.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 16, 2021

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hmmmmm HMMMMMMMM hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Do I go with the Frameworks laptop or do I decide that yes I do "need' a dedicated graphics card and go with the G14. The G14 has a matte screen though which is bad. HMMMMMMMMMmmmm.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Got my Asus Zephyrus G14 today. Matte screens are bad. They are hazy. Please stop making laptops (which at least makes some sense unlike monitors) with it. Thank you.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sorry matte screen fans but I like the chance of having something look good as opposed to just always looking bad. While I'm sure I could get use to it I imagine the second I switch to something without a grainy matte coating I'll be like "oh poo poo this is much nicer". I'm also kind of convinced that my laptop looks warmer the further right on the screen I look. It's subtle but I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining it.