Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

This isn't where I parked my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Killsion posted:

True story, I was the first to find and report his existence back in beta. Same with the prototype in CF.

I was the first person ever to successfully assemble all three region bosses and kill them. :dong:

Now I play Swordsman Online and miss my duelies and shotguns.

Why isn't this game and thread dead yet?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

prefect posted:

I just looked this up, and I still prefer being Illuminati, but I am feeling some envy. :doom:

TEMPLAR SUPREMACY.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

For the twelve minutes a year any of us are online at least. :v:

What are you talking about? We are always online. We are just more secret than the other two. Templars you could say are MEGASECRETSOCIETY.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Is Tokyo done yet?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Killsion posted:

Crimson Theater makes me miss the old days of multi-hit proc/affliction builds.

CT, in addition to hitting for tons of damage, also used to proc procs, on every hit, so did every shot of a multi-hit attack. Queue insanity.

The devs ignored the CT move in beta for a long time after holding the pvp Stonehenge matches with us nailing them to the wall with one thors hammer. They submitted to the chaos that was there is just too many loving abilities.

Go figure out how to gently caress up Agartha like the pros.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

prefect posted:

Gimme details. :D

In probably-unrelated news, is there another game that uses emotes and decorative character clothing as actual game-affecting things? In one of the Tyler Freeborn missions, you have to put on a gas mask, and you have to do this in the dressing room -- right-clicking on the quest item doesn't do anything. And in the bank heist mission, you have to emote your way past a few obstacles.

You used to be able to cartwheel though the lockout invisible wall when you die in a boss battle. It allowed you to cartwheel back into the fight after releasing. It was the only way you could clear one of the Hell Dungeon's for awhile due to the boss being impossibly tuned. Funcom later said the boss fight was fine because people were clearing it and not knowing we were all cartwheeling back into the fight to kill it. They fixed that poo poo later on.

I forgot which boss it was called but it was the one where you drop into the room and there is two hell tyrants that are linked or something.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 6, 2015

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

guppy posted:

Machine Tyrants. I had no idea that was fixed.

They fixed the cartwheels. Not the boss. Yall can get hosed as far as they are concerned with that one.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

KetTarma posted:

Would it make me terrible if I filled the inner skill circle to try out all of the weapons before I start specializing in the ones I like?

Dual Pistols and a Shotgun. All you loving need when dealing with the insanity.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I totally just approved a years worth of applications to the everything is goon site. What happened to all the Aussies I left in charge.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

HughGRect posted:

Did the number of people who applied exceed double digits?

Hell No. What are you crazy?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Len posted:

It's not a TSW Christmas if the Dev team didn't gently caress off to leave the game burn.

Perhaps you haven't been keeping up with things. Funcom got butchered. There is no dev team. They are literally 3rd party contracting out their 3 MMOs. Complete damage control mode for the whole company. Perhaps if they hired a loving marketing team for TSW when it came out like all of us were loving screaming at them they might have not imploded.

Age of Conan was not nearly as fire and brimstone as everyone said it was. I mean come on you can tear a player's head off and throw it at a crowd. The Secret World is still in my mind the single best Theme Park style MMO there is hands down.

I said it very early on in TSW that this game was the last bastion of hope to see us pulled out of the Fantasy hellhole the MMO market is in and if it failed then the whole market goes with it.Look at that. It failed to catch any eyes and we are left with loving Elves and Sci Fi games that are trying to be fantasy with swords and shields for everyone.

Settings in MMOs will never diviate from Fantasy or Sci-fi for anyone with a wallet now. The only hope is something rises from the ashes of the kickstarter hellhole and even that is bleak as gently caress. Every major Game company on the loving planet has gone toe to toe with World of Warcraft in their own backyard thinking they can do the game better then people with a 10 year headstart. There is only one super dev that comes to mind that hasn't thrown in their hat to the pile and its because they are not loving retarded. I am looking at you Valve.

Funcom was one of very few MMO companies that took a shot at something new and missed. The worst part is they didn't miss because their game was bad but because no one loving heard about it.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

HughGRect posted:

How much influence did Ragnar have on this game? Was it one of his babies or was he just helping Funcom flesh out someone else's project?

He loving wrote it and then when poo poo started to slow down he realized he overwrote the game and now there is piles of this game's story that will never see the light of day. When the game was in beta the devs in the global chat were talking about how the man had already written 12 years worth of stuff for the lore of the game. We are never going to see the Lost World in the center of the earth or Atlantis which were the big ones we were told about. You probably remember me goading a GM into spawning that Filth Infested T Rex in London because I kept making fun of them for wasting such an awesome art asset that no remembered existed from the really early E3 tech demos and trailers.

So Ragnar upon realizing that he literally planned out the next decade of the game and seeing that they didn't have the resources to reach it, he left Funcom main and formed Red Thread Games to work on the new Dreamfall games for Funcom. Probably because the name Funcom is toxic in the industry right now and Ragnar is too good a writer to go down with that ship.

Even with all that in mind and working at a separate company he is still the Creative Director of The Secret World.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I am coming back to this game for a bit to clear all the new poo poo and take Bad games crew for a ride. Come in CTS mumble and join "The Angry Dome" and shoot the poo poo with us.

Camping the Stairs Mumble
Port 64738

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I need some of my old TSW goons back because Grithok and Boat are driving me loving nuts with this loving complaining.

They hit the Transition from Savage coast to Blue Mountain and are pissed at the game because a pure Blood Magic with no secondary weapons build isn't "Killing things fast enough" and Hammers don't play well with anything.

I suggested Assault Rifles to hammers and Elemental to Blood and these fucks said the game is poo poo and I am poo poo.

Listen here motherfuckers. If you use a walk though to clear the investigations and then tell me they are too easy then you can gently caress right off. If you don't want to put on a second weapon you can eat my dick.

The Secret World is a loving great game you shitlords. Someone get in this mumble to help me argue.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Drinkfist posted:

I need some of my old TSW goons back because Grithok and Boat are driving me loving nuts with this loving complaining.

They hit the Transition from Savage coast to Blue Mountain and are pissed at the game because a pure Blood Magic with no secondary weapons build isn't "Killing things fast enough" and Hammers don't play well with anything.

I suggested Assault Rifles to hammers and Elemental to Blood and these fucks said the game is poo poo and I am poo poo.

Listen here motherfuckers. If you use a walk though to clear the investigations and then tell me they are too easy then you can gently caress right off. If you don't want to put on a second weapon you can eat my dick.

The Secret World is a loving great game you shitlords. Someone get in this mumble to help me argue.

http://youtu.be/H_TwsXhsq90

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

drinkfist is indeed lazy for not fulling explaining he said it was a good idea and both people have two weapons as per his advice

he just is really lazy with words

I am going to go to sleep dreaming of drowning you in a toilet that I haven't flushed for weeks.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I can only clear up to darkness war solo. Then I need some roles to be filled for the remaining dungeons but I can manage if I can go solid DPS.

I have been managing just fined in Tokyo with my Pistol Shotgun builds and Pistol Rifle builds. Just make sure you got two builders going in a spec so you can use secondary weapon Aigis attacks on poo poo. My critical poo poo is holding up fine with the heal procs. All I really need is for a handful of you fucks to come back so I can clear some trendy group scenarios.

Oh yeah and putting your skill points into Efficiency in Aigis really makes a world of difference. When you start following the main story quest they start dropping the Aigis gear on you and it just gets easier until it isn't even a problem at all. Most targets I am dealing with now I can knock out their shield in a single consumer or elite attack. The only ones that are dicey still are the named mobs that are drifting around Tokyo. Those guys do not gently caress around with the shielding. Probably should duo those guys.

As for Reggin(Grithok) and Boat(Fuckface).

I told them to grab whatever they liked at the start because Kingsmouth was a shoe in for easy and then they started this trend of actively resisting the game. They are literally trying their hardest to make builds that do not work and get gear that they don't loving need just to drive me up the loving wall. I swear to Christ I don't remember having to put effort into finding a loving toolkit or fighting in blue mountain with full hell dungeon gear.

What I do remember is that Blue Mountain is hard because of the QL jump and more punishing for not using sustaining builds. The loving Akab are rampant assholes and that some areas have some serious mob density. But you didn't see me break down into a full blown child just trying to get though there like these two fucks.

The answer is yes to anyone coming on mumble. They are doing this to piss me off. And yes it is working. Doesn't mean I am gonna stop yelling at them none the less. Even if it is pointless.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

orcane posted:

Even my very first terrible ele-something build was okay in BM, people need to harden up :smug:

Don't do scenarios, it's a trap.

I sold my birds for 10 million each so now I can just buy the Augments. I told you fucks the Myan event bird would be big money down the road.

The only problem with the augments is that you loving need them and a pile of poo poo in order to spend you AP else you are wasting xp. I just want to keep some on hand to make sure I dont waste the AP because I don't have any of the Scenario items. Motherfuckers in Tokyo should drop the aug items too but they don't.

Ill need to get some heal pots are a build together just to make a real attempt at solo nightmares because that jump in difficulty from the elite solo is nuts. They expect a single player to handle way too much for that poo poo.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

subhuman filth posted:

Also i never talk to people, skip dialogue and ignore lore because I wanted to play a video game, not watch a loving movie.

True to his name gents.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

You likely don't even know what the filth is! Also, could any Goon in the Templar cabal throw an invite my way? I'm curious how lively it is, since I know the Illumi cabal is dead and nobody's ever on it. My Templar character is named Clibanarya.

Believe me. Templar are dead too. Just get on Camping the Stairs Mumble and into "The Angry Dome" channel wayyyy at the bottom of the list of channels and shoot the poo poo with us while you are playing TSW. We are bad games crew down here so expect us to be playing all kinds of terrible games. This month just happened to land on revisiting The Secret World.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

To all you shitlords in this thread.

The game is dead. Its a single player game that only updates once every two years now.

Play the game by yourself and enjoy the story. This is a single player game that just happens to be multiplayer.

All 4 or 5 of the goons still playing this game have Stockholm Syndrome.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

KetTarma posted:

How true is this?
I'm still new enough to have no clue :(

To be honest, I think the game is pretty good so far... :unsmith:

I never said the game was bad. The Secret World is a great game. Its just not strong with the multiplayer aspects.

The dungeons are great for a few runs and have some great mechanics but other than the dungeons you have almost no incentive to play with other people in this game.

It is a fun challenging single player game that somehow ended up as an mmo.

Funcom is treading deep water and is in full damage control mode. They have no more resources to make any new games for any platform higher than the mobile market. All that is holding that company together is their three MMOs and they no longer have the teams to keep the content flowing. The Tokyo play area was all mapped out and had a rough art pass when the first issue dropped. But when their company took massive hits the whole zone took years to finish. And even with the release of Tokyo issue they still have left out the other half of the zone with the Orachi Tower.

I bought a Lifetime sub day one of this game and still consider it a good investment because I love the loving game. I will still pop back in when there is more storyline to play but as it stands it is a long way away before we see anything in terms of big content patches come from them when they spent a few years doing cheap recycled poo poo events and some 1 to 2 hour long mission packs. We are never gonna see the Lost World, Atlantis, or any of the odd ended art assets they made for other cool poo poo unless they somehow recover. They already dropped some of the art assets from the previously mentioned in Tokyo for terrible tie ins. (That loving gorilla was supposed to be in the Lost World(We are never gonna see that T Rex)).

So yeah but it and play it but expect nothing past what is already there.

The reason I made that post is because Scud/TheRat donated to the offsite that is totally loving dead and should be removed from the first post. I left some Aussies in charge because they buy one game as if they paid for a car over there and play it till death. Apparently they just let it sit there hoping it worked like geocities.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Why is this thread active? Everyone knows Funcom ran off to recreate AO in their "new" engine.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/19/anarchy-onlines-long-awaited-engine-upgrade-looks-to-be-coming-soon/

http://massivelyop.com/2015/03/15/the-daily-grind-whats-funcoms-secret-project/

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Whats going on in here?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

I'll make a new op with all the info.

I feel like we did this before.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

Who let you out of your cage?

I'm a locksmith.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Exmond posted:

Real Answer:
To modify their game to appeal to new comers and make things more generic so that new players can follow along. The aim of the relaunch is to attract new players to the game, even at the cost of alienating our older players. Also funcom are not smart (TM)

Hot take answer:
They are dumbing down their game for the casuals and funcom are idiots.

The Niche crowd they had wasn't paying the bills. We had our fun. Let the bumbling idiots flood in and pay for the next book worth of story they have on the shelf.

You forget how we legit had players needing build guides and videos to clear the gatekeeper.

I for one look forward to going into mumble and listening to people trying to understand why the Orachi have gently caress with everything they find. There is also the dungeon runs with bosses that are aware of your immortality and make fun of you for wiping and coming back for more. The game was a great single player game that happened to be multiplayer. I am a huge fan of the writing.

Game was fun and dead. Fiddling with the corpse can only produce an entertaining Frankenstein at this point. Which appears appropriate given the game's story and setting. The only real issue is did they put enough time into the revamp like FFXIV did or is this totally a two man mod crew bastardization style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Len posted:

Feels like a two man crew with the forum support team to shut down dissident

Yeah I had a feeling. Welp.

I have a lifetime sub to TSW and got my 200 dollars of enjoyment in the form of playing the drat game for about two years. Everything past this is just bonus.

Can't wait for posts like this gem in here.

• Locked thread