Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vinlaen posted:

I've asked this in the previous thread right before it was closed so I'll ask again...

What is a good clamshell case for the iPad 4?

I want something I can use on my lap (or on a pillow which is on my lap), and support the screen at a laptop-like viewing angle.

Somebody suggested the "New Trent Airbender" which looks nice...
I know you said clamshell but IMO nothing beats a BeanPad for lap or bed use. It's way more stable and flexible in terms of angles and positions, and more comfy. They're like $50 on Amazon but you can get them as low as $20 if you keep an eye out.

Also their customer service is incredible -- they replaced 2 for free that we broke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Torka posted:

Just ordered from the Apple store, based almost entirely on somebody linking me to a video demonstrating the GarageBand app. Holy poo poo that thing looks like criminal amounts of fun.
That's just the beginning:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364734

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

japtor posted:

Re: screen protectors, matte ones screw with retina display clarity, wet application (soft?) ones feel bad, while the glossy static cling thin/hard plastic sheet ones seem alright, from the ones I've seen/used before at least. They do have their own drawback in that the plastic is relatively easy to scratch vs the glass, so it can end up getting all scratched up with stuff that might not have affected the glass at all in the first place, so your screen looks like poo poo anyway because the protector itself isn't scratch resistant.

...well another option is a glass protector but they're relatively costly, like $20-30? Basically just a thin sheet of glass that sticks on and supposedly looks and feels fine since it's glass like the screen (although I don't remember if they have an oleophobic coating, so they might get more fingerprinty).

Do they even make glass screen protectors in iPad size?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Do you mean the act of changing the wallpaper is slow, and it goes back to normal after the change? Or that changing from the default makes it slow forever?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Strolled into my local fruit stand and walked out with a space grey 64GB tmobile air after 5 minutes. Goddamn apple makes it so easy for me to give them money. Yes please email me my receipt thank you have a nice weekend see ya later!

First impression: How is this thing so loving light?

It also feels ultra small with the new narrow bezel, so much so that my wife had to get out a tape measure to prove to herself it's the same screen as our iPad3 and iPad2.

Also, it's motherfucking fast as hell. Best iPad yet. Is there some new wifi something going on because it's hammering the 3 and 2 at loading webpages. Still reloads tabs if you have a bunch of heavy sites loaded, but does it so fast it's not as noticeable as on the 3 or even 2.

I put the 3 and the 2 on craigslist and will maybe let one go if the offer is right, but more likely I'll dedicate one to home automation control and wifey will claim the other.

Man this thing is fast. And 200MB/mo of free LTE from tmobile is nice. AT&T wants $15 for 250MB so gently caress them and good for tmobile -- their coverage in my area is pretty decent these days, especially for free. Of course I can always swap out the sim for an AT&T sim if necessary (unlikely.)

Very happy with this new pad. No more 30pins and all lightning cables at home and work is a bonus too.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

k-spar posted:

I've seen a couple people ask but no answers: which screen protector should I buy for the air? Just the cheapest I can find of amazon or is there a brand or style that is worth paying a little extra for?

This seems popular and cheap http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FDXLSL4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit: asked in the iphone thread but will do here too in case it's different on pad: where did the "find in page" option go in ios7 safari?

randyest fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 2, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

This plus this http://www.mattberube.com/software/ituneskeys/ and now I can finally rate the current song playing without bringing up itunes (or even being near my pc)

Thanks!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Something else I just noticed about the air -- the speaker is loud as hell. On our pads 1, 2, and 3 without using headphones I'd max the volume and cup my hand to project the sound forward. With the air 75% loudness is plenty loud without hand-cupping.

It's just too loud at 100%.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

eddiewalker posted:

I may peel the front off eventually, but I guess I have to keep the used film in case I ever want a replacement rear film, since their anything-warranty requires you send back the original films in their original packaging.
You sure about that? I just filled out the form at http://www.skinomi.com/warranty.html and it didn't say anything about mailing the old one back. Then again it didn't say much of anything so maybe they'll now email me with the replacement instructions?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

3) I don't like the way Skinomi cut their corners -- it requires part of the skin to bend all around the corner, which is doable but a pain. BSE's V cut seems a lot more practical.
Yeah those corners are a bitch and are sure to come unstuck and start to attract dirt, get more unstuck, etc.

eddiewalker posted:

The FAQ says if you don't send back your first skin after they send you a replacement you're not eligible for further warranty.
That's reasonable. But they also just emailed and asked for a picture of the damage. Macro lens time I guess.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

obi_ant posted:

I have a question about having carrier service for the iPad. How do I tell when I'm about to go over my allotted data? 200MB from T-Mobile seems very easy to go over and I don't want to have to pay any extra charges for the data. Because of this, I was also looking at a hot spot from Freedompop (Free 500MB Data Plan, and you can manage the data online). I mean the prices sort of offset each other, the only inconvenience I can see is having to carry around the hot spot.
I didn't even enter a payment method so I don't know how they'd charge me for going over 200MB. My guess is it just shuts of at 200MB and you have to purchase one of their data packages to get more that month. I think you can see current usage from settings -> cellular data

Also I tried Freedompop and YMMV but it sucked rear end in Boston area and they charge you for not using at least a certain amount of data each month :wtf:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Hahaha

Qualcomm’s CMO Anand Chandrasekher reassigned, censured following A7 “gimmick” lambasting

Probably not a good idea to cry sour grapes when your own company is working on doing the exact same thing. "32-bits should be enough for anything!"

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Starhawk64 posted:

Just got an iPad Air, holy crap this thing is amazing. It's like one of those things from Star Trek TNG. Can anyone recommend some good apps for it? I like games such as Doom and Carmageddon, which are awesome on iOS.

Games thread

Apps thread

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Haggins posted:

I have a Verizon LTE ipad 4. I was doing the prepaid data but I just canceled it because now I'm on a share data Att iphone plan which allows me to tether.

Can I switch the ipad to att? It may be worth it to me if it's only $10 a month to throw it on the share plan.
Yeah I think you should be able to get an AT&T sim for it. At least that's true of the Air I assume same is true for the older versions, but radios maybe different?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

It's all the 64-bit iOS devices, seemingly, since the iPhone 5s is also having these problems. The 7.1 betas supposedly fix it, though.
I haven't had one crash on my air or 5s, but I have had them both fail to show embedded youtube videos on some websites in safari. The space for the vid is there, but it's empty. Youtube links are fine though. Weird.

v:shobon:v

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dirk Funk posted:

Just got an iPad Air.

The guy at the T-Mobile store said I could do multiple user accounts on it and it turns out that isn't true.

Is there any way I can set up some types of restrictions that can be turned on and off?

Why wouldn't Apple support multiple accounts? I figured it being 2014 and all that this would be a given. I can't return it now without a restocking fee if I wanted something else instead.
You may already have a workable solution but if you jailbreak you can set up multiple accounts.

http://lifehacker.com/5873412/how-to-set-up-multiple-user-accounts-on-your-jailbroken-ipad-iphone-or-ipod-touch

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/

I haven't tried it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mang Tomas posted:

Anything in the rumor mill about a possible better Ipad display for the next update? My dad is buying my Ipad 3 retina so I might be getting an Ipad Air soon.
How would you improve the display? I mean, unless you plan to look at it under a microscope?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yeah that looks like a solution in search of a problem. $65 to avoid installing iTunes or iFunbox or Dropbox or SpiderOak or Boxx or ... ? Really?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

eddiewalker posted:

VLC is kind of a joke on iOS.
Well don't leave us hanging. What's the joke?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Rated PG-34 posted:

Yes, but the difference is that with android, I can easily downgrade.
If you changed to an android anything you already did.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

hypersleep posted:

I really want Apple to drop the 16 GB model and make 32 the base model. It's preposterous that it's almost 2015 and not only does Apple persist in offering a paltry 16 GB of flash memory in a $499 tablet, but also charges $100 for 16 more.
If the iPhone 6 situation is anything to go by then it may be $100 for 48GB more. Which is nice.

hypersleep posted:

16 GB just doesn't cut it
Agreed. Buy more.

hypersleep posted:

My biggest space eaters right now are 22 GB of movies, 11 GB of music, 10 GB of music production apps and audio files, and about 3 GB of photos/videos/drawings and their associated apps (VSCO, Snapseed, Filterstorm, iMovie, Procreate and a few others).

I assume most people who buy the 64 GB (or even the 32) model do so to have enough room for games, right?
I have 64G pads and phones and it's mostly so I don't have to give a poo poo about storage. For the phones it's all pics and vids, for the pads it's pics, vids, and games.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tacier posted:

I didn't realize they had shrunk the battery for the Air 2. I guess I can't rightfully complain since it's still an improvement over my iPad 2 and bests nearly all the android competition.
The battery life is the same. What does "shrunk" mean?

revengeanceful posted:

Ordered a refurb 32GB Mini 2 today. $299 feels like exactly the right price point for something that I'll do some gaming and web browsing on. The form factor seems just right as well based on my experience with my wife's Mini 1. Looking forward to picking it up next week.
OK!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bobfather posted:

They just need the iPad. I also gave them the cable, but kept the charger as an extra. And I gave them the box, because well, why do I need it?

For me, they took my driver's license, collected information about where I worked, took a fingerprint, and had me sign a few times. It was more of an invasion of privacy than I expected, but I'm not trying to game their system so I guess it doesn't matter. The whole process took about 15 minutes to complete with a CSR that was familiar with the process.

I've also heard it's not certain that all CSR's will accept both the $50 iPad Air 2 coupon and the 10% USPS mover's coupon, but mine did with no problem.
They fingerprinted you to trade in an iPad? :raise: I don't think I'd be comfortable with that.

randyest fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 26, 2014

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tuyop posted:

But I really think a crappy $500 laptop is the way to go. It's familiar, cheap, repairable on the hardware side, and the learning curve won't be a problem for them since they probably access everything through a browser anyway instead of a bunch of apps. The iPad has the advantage of being nearly impossible to break on the software side, v. a windows laptop that will need constant janitoring from someone who knows how (read: you).
I gave my octogenarian mom an iPad 2 years ago; she figured it out in minutes and I don't think she even knows where the (not lovely, much >> $500) laptop I gave her before that is. She used it every day so I got her an air 2 and now she's even happier ("it's so fast and light and thin!")

v:shobon:v anecdotes! I know, but don't cheap out on your mom. Also lol at "change in interaction logic" -- it's a loving ipad, you press the button or icon with your finger. Good lord.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Thorn may be the best hand cannon in the game now. It does 60+ damage in PvE with the Dot damage plus the already high damage. I took down a yellow bar acolyte in one shot.
What?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dirtyfrog posted:

Great looking deal on the Air 2, Space Gray 64Gb, £430. http://www.rakuten.co.uk/shop/pixelelectronics/product/Apple_Ipad_Air_2/?l-id=gb_cart_product_1_1&sku=Apple_Ipad_Air_2_64gb_Space_Grey

I just picked one up today, are there any downsides to registering all ten fingers (and my wang) for Touch ID?
I registered each thumb twice and each index finger twice. Seems to make it super reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Amber Alert posted:

I recall seeing a video where some guys made moulds of their fingers trying to get into their iPhone 5s and they all failed, but went and used it on whatever generation of Samsung phone came out around that time that had touch ID and one of the prints that was rejected on the iPhone had no problem getting into whatever poo poo Samsung taped onto their phone
Samsung has a touch ID phone?