Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

None of the deals have a 128 4g though. Can't find it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

e.pilot posted:

At $349 the 32gb iPad mini 2 is the best deal you can get right now on an iPad imo. Same internals as the mini 3, and just a few months ago it used to cost $499.

Disagree. The 2 gig and extra core of the air 2 is. Huge game changer around lifetime of the device and resell value. Plus the best buy sale off 100$ off. I'd not consider anything else

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

I bought the iPhone6 when it first came out (got the 64GB version) and then later was given an iPad Air 16GB as a work bonus.

I've quickly found that 16GB doesn't amount to diddly squat when storing TV shows and was wondering if there was a way for me to transfer files from one device to the other without iTunes/a wifi network?

If you use plex, it will see the other iDevice as a plex server and you can stream from it. Getting it there requires plex pass though.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

withak posted:

Go to any touristy place around San Francisco to see people taking vacation photos with iPads.

Coworkers and I have a game where the first person to call out the selfie stick gets a point. iPad on selfie is 5 points. Pro on a stick is 25 (unclaimed...so far)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

What features have been less useful than 3D Touch?

Parallax effect introduced in iOS 7

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Definitely the best iOS device until the next big pro drops.

And I can't loving wait for it. I didn't really believe we'd hit Q2 without that rumored 10.5" Pro.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

At least as of a couple versions ago, Samsung included color presets you could choose from. They all defaulted to the ultra-saturated colors, though, and no one actually switched them to the more accurate settings.

Art director at my company kept trying to cancel the android version of the game because of that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Dropped my iPad Air 2 earlier and thought everything was fine until a few hours later where I notice that the screen is a bit dark. Looking more I can clearly see there are several 'spotlights' of the back lighting from the edge going to the center of the screen. I think that 50% of them are on and 50% of them are off. I have a feeling any long use is going to give me one hell of a headache.

What am I looking at cost wise for possible repair at an Apple Store? The unit is from Nov 2014 so isn't under Apple Care anymore. I was going to give it to wife or kid when the 10.5 comes out in hopefully 3 weeks but not sure that I can last that long or that they'd want to use it unless repaired.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Yeast posted:

The 32Gb entry is good, but the next tier being 8 times the capacity is a bit :what:

I guess there's 0 chance of me running out of space with the higher capacity.

At work we always talk about just buying the highest capacity iOS device because you'll regret it later. It's an incremental increase in cost and your only chance to do so is when you buy it. I asked someone to talk me into the 512 for the 10.5" and the comparison was with my current Air2... At the time the Air2 was released they had just doubled the storage from the previous generation. I never thought it'd be filled when I got it. Over the 30 months I've had it, I've constantly hit the size limit and have 6 GB free now.

I expect in the next 3 years that I'd keep the 10.5 512GB will seem the same way.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Barry posted:

What are you using so much storage for, work?

My iPad 3 is a 16GB (I believe) and it's a little tight but I'm otherwise fine, but the only things I store locally are games and apps. So I generally lean towards the least storage possible and not paying the relatively large upcharge for more storage.

Photos. Music. Games. Plex videos. I travel internationally 25% of the time on BA with no wifi.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Any trip reports on the Smart Keyboard yet? Just saw the Logitech and apple one at the store. I like the pencil holder but don't like how thick it is. I wonder also if you can pop a Smart Cover on the Logitech when not using keyboard. And does the keyboard fold all the way back?

Surprised there's nothing for the pencil staying with they keyboard or iPad itself honestly.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Just got my 10.5 iPad Pro with pencil. I'm looking for two apps I've used when borrowing other people's pros but I can't remember. Both are for pencil.

The first was a drawing program. It had a shape converter. Draw a square a line and arrow push a button and it became perfect square straight line, imbedded arrow. The other thing I remember is if you scribbled over some writing it would be erased. edit this was Nebo

Second is a note taking program that did near instant OCR of written letters. As you'd write it would automatically scroll the 'page'. Other than that I don't recall anything about it.

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 18, 2017

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have an air and love it, but she's getting long in the tooth and my wife and kids need a trickle down refresh. Is a 10.5 Pro with the new keyboard cover really the bees knees? My Air has cellular and is grandfathered onto the ATT unlimited data iPad plan, and I assume I can move that over as well? I have been able to keep the plan moving between iPad hardware so far, and am worried st at some point they won't let me keep it on a new device...

I think so. I went from an air 2 to the 10.5 and it's pretty amazing. The screen is unreal and the 6+ style Touch ID is a huge step up.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

My kid broke the old Air 2 they were using, so I plugged it into my Catalina based mac, did a backup of it, got the new 7th gen iPad, turned it on, it did the 'restore settings via blutooth' thing, then asked for a restore from iCloud or local computer. I select it in finder and select restore, and it instantly dissappears from finder and the iPad goes to "Connect to Mac or to a PC with iTunes". If I remove and replug in the USB port, it switches to 'Connected to Computer', and then can select restore again.

I don't think that it's transferring anything. But I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

kri kri posted:

Use iCloud backup

That's what I did afterwards, but was annoyed that the wired one didn't work. Was shocked the old one wasn't already on iCloud backup honestly.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TheManWithNoName posted:

My 2018 ipad pro just won't charge...the red battery icon flashes no matter what combo of charger/cable I'm using. Googling seems to indicate Apple may have to replace - has anyone fixed this?

Compressed air and tweasers fixes that 9 times out of 10. Usually a small *something* has gotten in and is preventing things from making good contact.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

piratepilates posted:

I just got an iPad professional (the newer 11 inch) and I'm trying to figure out how to set up a good workflow for syncing media to it.

Here's the situation: I bought this for a bunch of reasons, one of those is to read books and comics, etc. I have an NAS on my network which stores the books and comics.

The comics are just cbr/cbz files organized in folders.

The books are managed by Calibre, but Calibre just stores them organized in folders. I don't particularly need the Calibre part of it, it's just a convenient way of managing them on OSX.

I've tried Chunky comics reader and that seems to work pretty well. I can download comics straight from my NAS and read them, and I'm sure there's something like Resilio Sync that I could do to just automatically sync all my comics to my iPad and have them all ready to read.

For the books situation I'm not sure. I think I can navigate to the NAS folder for books through the Files app, but the way Calibre laid them out on disk is really annoying to navigate (it's structured by authors and has subfolders you have to dig through).
I tried the Calibre Companion app but it seems kind of bad and finicky. I've had some success with opening a book on OSX through calibre (for PDFs it just opens it in preview) then using airdrop to send it to my iPad, but this also requires me to always start this process off with my laptop.

I guess what I'm looking for is just something like, use Resilio Sync to sync my whole books folder from my NAS to my iPad, and then having them show up automatically in whatever app for reading books on my iPad.
The resilio sync part is super easy but I'm not really sure what to do about the books reading part on the iPad, it didn't seem like the default Books app lets you add custom library locations (maybe it does?). I'm not married to the Books app so if there's something else out there that makes it easier I'd be fine with that.

So, what should I look at for doing something like that? i.e. a books app for the iPad that can read from a custom location and doesn't require manual syncing through Finder or whatever?

I actually thought Chunky had that built in. Keep the oldest 6 issues of X that I haven't read synced and it'd auto sync it when needed... Maybe it was https://apps.apple.com/us/app/yacreader-comic-reader/id635717885 ? I swear that I had that going.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Last Chance posted:

Who else could implement keyboard support in games if not the developers?

Apple could add an app guideline that every UI element needs to be mapped to a keyboard press. If they did so then Apple would not be leaving it up to developers.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

The thing I don't agree with is Apple won't even allow a direct link to open safari to the ebook on Safari (to go with the Kindle example).

My way of looking at this whole thing is basically: List product on amazon, at checkout say "Come to my website to finish purchase." List product on ebay, at checkout say, "To purchase send me a check." List product on App Store to purchase say "Visit my website to enter credit card" Are all 3 ok or are none of the 3 ok or what makes 1 of them ok and not the others?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Well one major difference is you can sell products on stores other than Amazon, auction items on sites other than eBay, but you can't distribute an app on iOS except through the app store. Secondly, in the first two instances you are bypassing the main function of the storefronts themselves, selling or auctioning items, while in the latter instance you might be selling a service to an ancillary subscription. Should Amazon be allowed to enforce payment via Amazon for all subscriptions for products sold via the Amazon storefront?

Except in this case that's not true at all. You can go and buy enter the Epic storefront through ways other than the iOS app and buy things not using the Apple App Store. Anything I buy on a PC or in Safari on a phone is not getting the Apple cut. So that's the case of you buying it from another auction site. And the main function of the app store that you're distributing your app is to make purchases on the app store isn't it?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

priznat posted:

Yeah logitech is a solid brand and usually what I'd go for but the price is a bit steep, and yeah I wouldn't go for the cheap ones, they're a little scary.

Something more like Anker would possibly be the price/quality point I'd like to go for.

Yep, I brought this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XB45W6C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for myself and then a few months later for my sister for X-Mas. 18 months later still use it every night

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

apple being incredibly antagonistic towards people trying to launch game streaming services on their storefront, and then having the safari team work directly with amazon so they can avoid the store entirely, is some real loving galaxy brain poo poo

can't help but notice that they have not helped stadia with a similar conundrum

ios safari supports the html5 gamepad api but i have no idea if it's actually usable. this is, uh, also something the safari team could help with, were they so inclined

Did google offer to rewrite their native app to be pure HTML5? Did amazon offer to use the html5 gamepad API?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Supposedly they worked with the Safari team to get it working correctly.

They being Amazon.

Google could have probably done the same but lol they wouldn’t bother. MS could though.

That basically was my point the post I quoted placed the blame at Apple for both not supporting the Gamepad and not helping Google without any indication that Google or Amazon (For the gamepad) asked for it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

once you see xcode for ipad you'll know the writing is on the wall for macos

We were talking about https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/22/22396449/apple-ipad-pro-macbook-air-macos-2021 at work today, and that was basically one of the main points in our discussion.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Apple's been adamant for years that's not going to happen

Same with a stylus.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

the story is that turtleneck man though the iphone calculator looked dumb on a 10" screen, which I guess would be fine if they had a curated list of non-dogshit, non-surveillance calculator apps on the app store.

PCalc has been in existence for like 25 years.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

I feel like my iPad Pro battery health has started taking a nose dive recently but I see there isn't a way to check battery health on iPads like on phones. I have AppleCare+ on it but apparently they won't do anything unless your battery health is under 80%. Is there any way to check this myself without making a genius appointment? I'm a ways away from an Apple Store.

One in a thousand thing but I had a Smart Cover / keyboard that was borjed and sucking battery from the pad like no tomorrow. Run it a few days with no cover and compare the battery. The parpherial drain doesn’t show up on the battery app.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Others to consider.

Notability (great for cross device synch of notebooks: iOS, iPadOS, macOS)
NoteShelf (this one has the best "inking" quality in my opinion).
The built in Notes.app is also a surprisingly powerful note keeping app.

Just for completion's sake I'll mention OneNote. But that PoS ate my notebooks not once, but twice. And I mean not just the local copy, but across all my devices. They may or may not have fixed the issue, but I won't trust it ever again.

Notability dropped their Mac OS version and I’m still salty about it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

There's actually a new version. I was confused too. It has a slightly different icon than the original version(s).

This is the latest (updated a month ago)

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/notability/id360593530

Ok so maybe my complaint then is I have to go buy multiple versions for something I don't use that often but is annoying when it's not there... Mostly all I used it for was to quickly make copies of a template 'cuz the on device evernote to notability export was a bit jank in ways I no longer remember.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I haven't looked into Apple pencil note taking apps for awhile to know what the latest tech is. My current work flow is I write the note in Notability, it gets backed up to gdrive, and evernote maps the gdrive folder to an evernote notebook where i can then OCR search for things I wrote if I wrote decently well.

Anything better than that for a busy note taker in TYOOL 2022?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Flyndre posted:

If they add USB C to the iPhone I’ll still be stuck with lightning on my AirPods anyhow :(

Have you considered the all new AirPod pro 2.0 now with USB C? https://bgr.com/tech/airpods-pro-2-usb-c-port-leak/amp/

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

What’s the options for zooming content on the iPad. The three finger tap feels like it’s fighting me on my old 10.5 pro. I’m watching coding videos on YouTube and too many people just share their entire ide and 70% of the screen is poo poo that’s not the code they’re showing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Who does black friday sales with iPads? Years ago I know I got an Air 2 from Best Buy on black friday that was a good price. I want to pick up the new 12.9

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Criss-cross posted:

The 3rd generation Ipad (then "The new Ipad") has to be among the worst.

As an iOS developer at the time, absolutely this. It had the Retina display, but not the hardware to power it. We had to quickly find the legit ways to not include it in the product offering. Related the iPhone 4s because developers couldn't slice that out of the available apps without taking far better hardware out as well, so it got a lot of updates that it really shouldn't have.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

I do wonder for how long, 30pin cables vanished rather quickly once every apple device went lightning.

Almost every treadmill at every gym I go to his a 30 pin plug. Some also have usb a but…

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

My old iPad 12.9 Pro's battery is starting to feel awful and for some reason Apple doesn't have battery health details in the iPad, but looking at the support website, they're showing it's only $99 to get the battery replaced? This things like 4 or so years old now, but it still works great. That's almost worth it just to get a basically refurbed iPad... Something about this doesn't seem right. Especially considering they want to charge me $500 to replace the glass on my 1 year old Apple Watch that isn't even worth $500 now.

Anytime I buy a new apple device with Apple Care + I send a calendar reminder for 23 months and 15 days to get the battery changed. So totally worth it.

Speaking of, I just got a new 12.9" iPad, what's the recommended screen protector if I'm going to do light pencil work with it? I picked up a highly rated Paperlike one and absolutely hate the way it feels on my finger, doubly so because the lack of touch ID means I'm constantly swiping from the edge and feeling where the protector begins. I'm ready to just order a new one and make sure that I align it better with the 'bottom' edge.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I always use my left hand to unlock it for some reason so it just yells at me everytime that I’m covering the camera

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Has notability’s draw shape always been hot garbage? It got defaulted to on when I set up my new iPad and would add random straight lines to the end of my cursive words.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

buglord posted:

Stage manager is finally not intentionally hobbled on iPadOS 17. Wonder how this will work on an external display.

What's the change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

buglord posted:

Sorry that was a dumb post of mine. You can resize windows now with Stage Manager and there aren’t (as few) arbitrary sizes. There’s still some snapping regions but it’s far easier to use now. I really wonder why this wasn’t there in the first place.

Because the feature was rushed out before it was fully baked. Aka an Apple 1.0