Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Never count on stock to be worth poo poo. I never did. My stock paid out over the years, not a life changing amount but I paid some bills and bought some toys and a small down payment on a house.

I work with quite a few folks who were promised the loving MOON in stock options and they never were in the money on them. They all wish they would have focused more on cash compensation than gambling about stock. (see Motive Inc IPO)

Personally that vesting schedule is poo poo for a start up. You should be looking at 25% for the first year and then monthly vest through year 4 with 100% vesting at month 48.

When you say startup, what exactly are you talking about? Like 15 to 20 employees sitting on couches in SF? Or cashflow positive VC backed company with many employees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

movax posted:

Yeah, it's an entirely new company, entirely new industry, only thing that gives me pause is them being a start-up.

Definitely use your position to establish your pay at market rate. Starting a new job is the best time to get every penny that you're worth out of the company.

From a company perspective it's HARD to find the right candidate you want to hire. We spent 6 months replacing a guy who left last year before we found someone we liked. We weren't letting that guy walk away over 5,000 dollars a year. If the market is hot, and you're in demand, stick to your guns and get paid. 5K is nothing to a company but can have a major cumulative effect on your earnings over the course of your career.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU GOT PAID AT YOUR LAST JOB. If you made 25K a year as the only IT guy for a 40 person company, who gives a gently caress. You should be compensated appropriately for the work you are going to be doing. If you're going to be doing 80K a year work, you should be making 80K a year. The market goes both ways, if they have 50 qualified people to choose from, they can low ball the hell out of folks. If they take 6 months find a qualified candidate, well that person can demand top salary. Sometimes cash is limited, negotiate other benefits for yourself. Extra PTO, or extra stock, or even a specific workstation. We had one developer that wouldn't start unless we bought him a top of the line MBP. We had another who wanted an extra week of vacation. If the company wants you bad enough they'll accommodate within reason.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Chalets the Baka posted:

Do the rules for negotiating salary and benefits change when you're dealing with a public/government institution, rather than a private business? Is there any room to negotiate at all in those cases?

I've never worked public sector, but benefits/time off are usually set in stone by policy. If they pay on a a grade/step level chart you can negotiate to start at a higher step than what they might want to start you at.

Just a random example, but say you're getting hired by the State of Kansas as a Machinist. Machinist are Pay Grade 20, and they want to start you at Step 6, well you could probably negotiate up to Step 10 if they wanted you bad enough, a difference of 15.03 and hour vs. 16.56 an hour. But that snowballs as you get your step/grade increases as you work there. It can make a big difference, especially with retirement contributions and whatnot.

http://www.da.ks.gov/ps/documents/payplan0614hrly.pdf

Spend a little time and figure out how the department is run and the payscale/grade/step for the position and see what you can do.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FrozenVent posted:

I'm not an hiring person, but really? Once you hit the real world, nobody gives a flying gently caress what your GPA ever was.

Bingo. Your GPA matters once, after that you're judged on your workplace accomplishments. No one in the real world gives a poo poo about your grades. Good grades don't have poo poo to do with being a good employee. Hell after 5 years work experience I don't even care where you went to school. Stanford or Lower Arkansas River Institute of Redneckery, makes no difference to me. Can you do the job? Do you fit in with the team? What have you accomplished?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

neogeo0823 posted:

Not to sound impatient, but I'd really like it if someone could do a quick read-through on my resume and tell me what they think of it. I'm trying to get out of my current job and into something better asap, and there's a job posting I've been eyeing that I'm worried will be taken down soon.

Rough critique

- Jobs don't need addresses or phone numbers listed on a resume. Save that for the formal paper application they may have you fill out.

change 'Job History' to 'Experience' Remove the 'Position'

- The first sentence of your resume says your an IT professional with 10 years of experience, but then I read your resume and I see nothing to do with IT. I see Mechanic, Lawn and Garden, Paint, Appliances, almost no IT at all. I'm confused and I've already stopped looking at your resume and you didn't get a job.

Depending on the job you are applying for you should tailor each resume to the job. Make sure you have keywords on there they list in the job description. If you're applying for a mechanic job, play up the mechanic stuff and lay off the stuff that has nothing to do with being a mechanic. Same thing for anything else you're going after. Plan on writing a new resume for every job you apply for basically.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FrozenVent posted:

Agreed on the address, but a phone number and email address is pretty standard, isn't it? I mean they don't want to have to look trough a stack of paperwork to find how to reach you, and some jobs don't do the application thing.

Sorry, I meant he should remove the address and phone number for each job he worked.

neogeo0823 posted:

Thanks for the advice. As far as the IT =/= job experience thing, I've been doing freelance IT work for years. Mostly basic stuff, building systems, antivirus, maintenance work, etc, with a bit of networking and such thrown in here and there. My actual official jobs that pay me a weekly paycheck have nothing to do with IT, sadly, and it's a field I'm looking to get into now.

How would I go about adding that to my resume, if I should do so at all? In fact, in a more general sense, how does one even go about tailoring a resume to a career field they have no formal experience in?

Are you getting paid to do IT stuff on the side?

If I was you, and putting together an IT resume the first job entry would be something like

Freelance Computer Repair or Local IT Consultant and then list some skills you gained doing that work, then list your other jobs on it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It depends. We are terrible about it. Someone in HR or in the hiring chain goes on vacation, and things get ground to a halt. It can take a week or so for us to get the offer paperwork together for someone we want to hire. Today is a little early to be worrying. Maybe worry if you haven't heard by Friday.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You can't take that personally dude. It often comes down to two or three candidates and sometimes one is just a little bit more qualified than the others and that's who you go with. Don't get discouraged, there's a chance they might call you back if things don't work out with candidate #1.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CelestialScribe posted:

I think I may have screwed up on salary.

I had an interview yesterday, went great. I was asked for my expectation on salary. I gave a figure.

I now regret that figure, I think it's too low. If they offer me the job, is it rude for me to then say, "btw I thought it over and I want more?" Have I blown my chances here?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Let me qualify that though, in my personal experience with midsized companies that question is used to make sure the interviewee and the company are in the same ballpark when it comes to salary. We already have an idea of what we're going to pay the person we hire, there's some room to negotiate, but we're not going low ball them because they threw a low number out.

When we open a requisition to hire a new person the hiring manager works with our HR department to figure out title, and a corresponding pay band according to Radford and other HR specific data. If we're hiring a Sr. Basket Weaver, HR will pull salary data for what Sr. Basket Weavers make in this area and give us a pay band. Then that pay band gets sent to Finance and they'll pre-approve a max salary of the position. Our pay bands usually run from 25% to 75% of the data HR pulls. So the hiring manager will say you can offer your Sr. Basket Weaver anywhere from 60 to 75K depending on experience with say a midpoint of 68.5K or so. If we find the best Basket Weaver in the world and they want 80K we can always try to get the extra 5K authorized, and for the right candidate it isn't a problem usually as 5K is a drop in the bucket for some unfilled positions. But if you're throwing out 90K+ at the interview it's going to be pretty clear we're not going to agree on compensation so we'll go ahead and move on to a different candidate.

Smaller companies might take advantage of you, but a larger company with a real HR department probably works like I described above.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

johnny sack posted:

Does that happen? I always hear that thrown around but I would think the benefits package was even more set in stone than the pay grades. ie earning 4 hours per pay period.

In my experience its rare but can be negotiated. I think it's getting more common for hard to fill skill positions. I know of two people that negotiated an extra week when they started.

I know after getting 4 weeks at my current job going somewhere with only 2 would be difficult and I would try to negotiate a 3rd week. Yes I sound like a spoiled man-baby.

I even recall seeing a municipal job offering prior work credit for computing time off accruals.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sataere posted:

So I've been with my company for almost eight years, and watched it get progressively worse. At this point, I am just sick of it. Moreover, I know that I am seriously underpaid for my knowledge and experience. I've started preparing my resume, but I had a couple of questions.

1) What is the consensus on one to two page resumes? It seems like most of the resume's I've seen are one page. When I showed one of my friends my resume, he laughed and said if I've been working for eight years, I should have more than one pages worth of experience. Is it a bad thing to be over one page if it is filled with solid content?

2) When I was in college, I won a bunch of public speaking awards. (Like gold medal winner in persuasive speaking) Even though it was years ago, is that still worth mentioning on a resume? It seems like a pretty solid skill, but I don't know if I am just kidding myself and it is like putting my GPA or some National Honors Society member bullshit on my resume.

3) Do I even bother to put computer skills? I mention in my description creating Power Point presentations for training purposes, so it seems to me that it is just redundant and removing it would save space.

It's been 8 years since I've done a resume, and I got that job because my mom is friends with my old boss anyway. It is an unsettling thought.

P.S. When it comes to the interview process, I assume that asking questions is a good thing? I am in no hurry to work, and I want to make sure that if I do leave, it is a good fit. Does that sound right? I'm kind of an intense guy in real life, and I like having a clear understanding of how things work.

My opinions on these qustions:

1- Two pages is fine if it's full of relevant content. If you're applying to be a sandwich artist at Subway listing 5 bullets about how good you are working the fryers is pointless because subway has no fryers. Relevant accomplishments should be listed, not a list of job duties.

2- If the job requires public speaking, throw it on there. Corporate Trainer, Salesperson, whatever. If you're not going to be speaking, I would probably leave it off. You've been working for 8 years, your college degree and experience carries no value anymore to be honest.

3- Some computer skills are just assumed for certain positions. If you're going into a training job or something that requires lots of presentations list it, if not, it doesn't matter. If using the computer software is part of the job, put it on, but listing that you know 4 kinds of linux, 3 browsers and 2 office suites is not necessary.

Interview questions. Before you go to an interview you should do your homework on the company. Who are they? What do they do? What markets do they serve? What team would you be joining? Things like that. Asking questions and showing interest is a good thing. Don't interrogate, but knowing a little bit about things is very good. What can you tell me about the team I would be joining?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'll take a look at it, but I'm not good at entry level/first job resumes and I work in the IT field so I'm not good with creative/artistic resumes.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

dur posted:

they already knew who they wanted to hire and just posted the job as a formality or something.

You get a prize sir.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Trying not to be a dick, but that thing needs a lot of work, it has almost no content, and just needs to really be started over.

Have you done any internships at all? Explored college grad programs with Petroleum companies?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Check your sharing, I don't see anything.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

angus725 posted:

If I'm not applying for a position, but handing it to some connections in management, should the objective stay?

No. The Objective is implied. A resume is a tool to get a job. No need to tell them your objective is to get a job.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not a terribly aggressive person so I usually go with a 48 hour rule on following up. Just because after 10 years of corporate work I know how the inside of most companies work. Things take time to setup, people get busy and don't communicate as often as they should, and sometimes people just forget.

For all you know the VP has reached out to HR to arrange travel arrangements for you to come interview but he's waiting on them, so he can get back to you. The last guy we hired on my team it took a week and a half for all the paperwork to get through before we could officially offer him the job.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Xandu posted:

If a company approaches me for an interview, is it acceptable to ask their salary range early on?

I don't want to have to name a number, but I have a feeling they aren't going to offer a competitive salary, so I don't want to waste anyone's time. Is there a good way to do this?

Are you getting cold called by a recruiter? A recruiter I have no qualms asking about the salary range, they usually won't say much other than "competitive" or "in like with market".

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

C-Euro posted:

When do you all feel is the turning point from listing education at the top of your resume to listing professional work experience at the top? My last stint in school was graduating with a Master's in 2013 and I am currently in my second job since graduating, so my Work Experience is my current job, my previous job, and my graduate assistant role during my Master's. I'm updating my resume right now for a leadership development award through the American Chemical Society, which favors academics so I think for this I would leave Education at the top. But in general, when do I start putting Work Experience first?

I'm not an expert or anything, but generally I put whatever qualifications I'm using to hopefully get the job first.

If I'm a fresh MBA looking for a job that wants fresh MBA's, I would put the MBA education above my prior work history. I've I'm qualifying for the job based on work experience, that's what I would put first.

Rules might be different for highly skilled positions you're probably applying for and Academia

Generally though my rule of thumb is if you have professional experience in the field, the work experience goes first.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Pillowpants posted:

The reason I keep arguing it is that I AM in HR and none of the people In my company HR have ever seen anyone get nixed over bankruptcy. I work in a 1600 person company, and the most anyone has seen is a special form that the hiree has to fill out - and this was at a wealth management company.

I’ve also reached out to my many contacts in other places I’ve worked for and it’s never prevented them either.

I know that HR is garbage but the recruiter who rescinded my first offer told me that company policy prevented them from telling my potential manager why - just that it was something on the credit report.

It’s easy to pull a background check, but I’m pretty sure a credit report is something you have to sign off on, and that was the first time in my career anyone has pulled one on me.

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure my total lack of charisma is loving me at the end every single time

It's not a charisma thing if you're repeatedly getting multiple interviews for a job. Now if you'd tell us that you've been on 7 first interviews and can't make it to round 2, then maybe it could be a charisma issue.

I really think having the active BK on your record is what's killing these jobs for you. It'd be one thing if it was a closed/discharged Chapter 7 from 3 years ago, but it sounds like it's an active Chapter 13 you still have 18ish months of payments left on. I can 100% understand why companies don't want to hire a payroll manager, with direct access to company funds, with an active Chapter 13.

I'm very sympathetic to your situation. All I can tell you is it'll get better over time. My wife filed Chapter 7 over 15 years ago, and she worked her way up to a bank manager position at one of the countries largest credit unions. I have a record from doing something really stupid when I was 18. It has affected my career options almost my entire life. I've been fortunate to find employers who understood mistakes were made and I'm a different person than when I was 18, and I've been very fortunate to have what I consider to be a great career so far.

If this BK was discharged and 3 years old, I think things would be different. With it being active, I think it's a risk many employers are not willing to take.

Is there another area of HR you could bounce to instead of payroll? Maybe be an HR business partner or something else? I know you want out of your current job badly, so I'm just spitballing ideas. Give it a few years, get the BK closed out/discharged, and head back to payroll if you want.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vegetable posted:

One of the tech companies I'm interviewing for will have a decision for me by tomorrow and if it's a yes, it'll apparently take them up to two more weeks to churn out an offer. This is one of the biggest names in the world. What the gently caress kinda shop are they running.

I got my contingent offer Oct 30th last year, and didn't start until Jan 4th. Fortune 100 company that I consider to generally have their poo poo together. I'll admit I slow played the process just a bit though as I didn't want to start until after the first of the year anyway, but that kind of bit me in the rear end. A couple things depend here on your hire date, and having a Jan 4th hire date means I have to wait until a full 1 year of service to be eligible for a couple things.

But yeah, things can move slow at big companies.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

John Cenas Jorts posted:

From what I've seen, Internal Only posted jobs are usually opened with a very specific person already in mind. Sure, other people can apply, but unless you're that guy then chances are low

Pretty much this. We’re converting 2 of our contract to hire guys on my team, and HR requires that we post the job internally for a week and give full consideration to anyone that applies.

The positions are already filled, unless someone better applies (which is rare but can happen), it’s just an HR formality/process thing we have to do.

Networking is so important these days, even inside your own company. I’ve gotten offers to switch teams out of the blue from people I’ve worked with once they realize I know what I’m doing and do good work. Make friends and doors will open. Also keep in touch with former coworkers. I’ve had people I haven’t work with in years reach out before about jobs in their new orgs.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Wait until you have the formal final offer in hand. They expect 2 weeks from that date at least and it shouldn't be a problem. The company I work for uses a 3rd party Hire Right to do the background check, and it can take a couple weeks for everything to come though. Mine took almost a month I think.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Leon Sumbitches posted:

They called me just to tell me that they went with someone else.

What an emotional rollercoaster.

At least they told you. Way too many people on both sides are just ghosting people these days.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Off my meds I tend to ramble a lot. I do prefer to communicate via email whenever possible as it allows me to lay out my thoughts in a better order and not ramble/jump around too much.

I know how much it sucks, the only thing I adjust is make sure my interview was at a time my meds are going to be working. I also have some 5mg "homework" pills I could take if needed my psychiatrist is good with my using from time to time.

Some things that helped last time I interviewed.

I knew the interview was using the STAR method, so I prepped in advance with a couple answers to the common "tell me a time" questions common in a STAR interview. I also had some key accomplishments, and things to discuss written down ahead of time. Being able to reference this instead of having to come up with stuff on the fly was a big help and helped reduce the rambling.

I wish I had better advice, but all I can offer is take your medication (if you're on meds) so you're hitting peak dose during the interview, and utilize your coping mechanisms

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

George H.W. oval office posted:

The company I work for is quickly circling the drain. Not only was it near bankruptcy after our peak season but our private equity owners are very obviously positioning for a sale. During my interviews and the "why are you looking?" question I tend to go with the growth of the company was too much and ultimately we weren't able to meet our agreed upon SLAs, customers dropped, and now we are showing financial distress so I'm looking out for my family and future. It feels okay but surely there is a better way to say "company sucks and the rats are leaving the ship"

Way too much information. A bullshit question deserves a bullshit answer. Give them a generic, "looking for new challenges" line of bullshit in return.

I would never give specifics about what's going on inside the company.

I left my last company due to PE bringing in a new hatchet man CEO, and my new boss being a huge rear end in a top hat, but I never said that. I was "looking for new challenges"

Always avoid any sort of negativity in an interview. Give them the bs answer and then redirect the interview by asking them a question

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

carnassials posted:

What's the etiquette for interview attire now? I'm planning on some in person interviews for Senior QA positions soon, and I lost my old suit to an ex. Would a crisp button down and dress pants and shoes pull it off? I feel like thats a solid match for what people in QA wear during FDA audits and fresher than a suit, but maybe interviews are still considered more formal.

I can def grab a suit between now and then, but not some perfectly tailored outfit.

CarForumPoster posted:

I like to be "one step nicer than the person making the decision"

This has always been my rule of thumb when it comes to interview attire.

In my experience, what part of the country matters more than a lot of things even inside the same org. My last org had multiple large offices across the country, and there was a big difference in how people dressed day to day between East Coast, West Coast, Austin etc.

East coast was more formal than the west coast for sure. East coast was mostly slacks/khaki's and collared shirts. West coast was mostly jeans and t-shirts/polo shirts. Austin was a free for all with most developers wearing tshirts/shorts/birkenstocks. I never went to our Chicago area office, but I'm just guessing it would be more east coast than west coast there.

Definitely don't be afraid to ask the recruiter though on what dress code is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

So I'm not a regular poster in this thread, and I'm not sure how the regulars feel about this, but at the top of my resume where you have skills and competencies, I have a "Professional Summary"

Just a couple sentences with some keywords from the job posting highlighting my experience with what they were looking for. Nothing too much, just trying to set a "hook" so the reader keeps reading. I find keywords important because they'll help your score with the ATS system, and also catch the eye of whoever is screening the resume before it gets to the hiring manager. The HR clerk looking at it will see keywords from the job posting on your resume and hopefully send it off to the hiring manager.

I found this example online for a data analyst.

quote:

Motivated and analytical professional with experience in evaluating dashboards and developing KPI reports. Certified Excel Specialist proficient in SQL, Python, and Tableau. Additional growing fluency in artificial intelligence and product life cycle analytics. Focused collaborator dedicated to interdisciplinary communication

I'd put something like that at the top.