Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Also, don't know what to read? Try this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

House Louse posted:

Ugh, five minutes after I post and I realise how to make up for the picture's size issue. I suck.

I figured it was a small oversight :cheers:

Rythe posted:

Wow OP thanks for that amazing picture to the NPR top 100 sci-fi/fantasy books, I have read a ton of books on there already but that picture just opened up 6 more series I need to download and get reading. That was perfect timing too, I just finished the Mistborn trilogy and was in the mood for another series. I am going to start with Iain Banks Culture series or Joe Haldeman The forever War series, any recommendations on what one I should read first?

I have Consider Phlebas queue'd up for my next read. Working on Fall of Hyperion now, and really enjoying it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Sounds good. The Player of Games is also only 250something pages so it should be pretty quick either way.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Azathoth posted:

Take a look at Monument by Ian Graham. It's pretty dark, but succeeds in telling a self-contained story in a single book. It isn't well-known, but the author tells a story that most other authors would stretch to a trilogy and does so without feeling like it was compressed.

I was going to recommend this when I read that post. I picked it up on a whim at Borders solely based on the cover and loved the whole thing. Ballas is a very memorable character (it's been about 8+ years since I read it). I really want more and almost wish the author would make it into a trilogy.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

systran posted:

I'm like halfway through book 2 of Hyperion and am not much feeling it any more. Should I keep going?

I really was into the first book, especially the beginning. The whole "world" always felt a bit thin, but I hugely enjoyed the narrative structure of essentially five short stories. The first short story with the people of the cruciform being my favorite.

Everything relating to the cybercore feels totally fake and stupid to me. The whole Keats thing is feeling like the author's favorite poet shoe-horned into the story. It was somewhat bearable in the first book but now he's pushing it further in the second along with more cybercore stuff.

Everything happening now with the shrike, tree, and the timetombs is starting to strain plausibility and I'm doubting the author's capacity to come up with anything satisfying to bring the plot back to something that isn't just weird for the sake of weirdness.

Am I off base or should I just stop while I'm ahead?

I'm probably about where you are and almost feeling the same way. I tore through book 1 and I agree the narrative structure was highly enjoyable. It made for a nice variety in story telling. But I am showing down immensely in book 2.

To anybody who finished book 2: does it continue in the same narrative style throughout the rest of the book? (awake cybrid / dreaming cybrid)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Finished Hyperion last week following a spell of Simmons-induced ennui.

After the god-awful detective's tale it was odds-on to suffer the same fate as Stranger in a Libertarian Lecture Hall Strange Land and remain on the shelf, unfinished. Not the worst book I've ever read by any means but wholly underwhelming. Can't be arsed to go into specifics on why I didn't like it but suffice to say I find myself sympathetic to the 2-3 star Amazon reviews.

I'm currently halfway through Wuthering Heights which is completely loving ace and Hyperion is all but a dim memory.

I liked Hyperion enough. I enjoyed the short story aspect of each of the pilgrim's tales (The priests being my favorite, I agree the detectives was the worst). I got about halfway through Fall of Hyperion about a year ago and decided to re-start at the beginning, realized I don't remember much at all about it, and am having trouble making my way through it.

I'm finding 2001 A Space Odyssey to be more interesting at the moment.

On the other hand, the last story I finished was Leviathan Wakes which was amazing. Is Caliban's War worth reading?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yes -- Caliban's War is definitely worth reading.

I would have a hard time recommending the third book though, and still haven't gotten up the energy to read the fourth.

Awesome thanks!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nuclear Tourist posted:

While still good, I didn't think Caliban's War quite lived up to the high standards of awesomeness set in Leviathan Wakes. And I really didn't care much for Abaddon's Gate, which leaves me a little worried for the future of the series since they're contracted to write, what, nine more books in this universe?

I enjoyed Leviathan's Wake immensely, but was a little thrown off by the direction it took at the end with the whole Julie thing. Does it continue in that direction?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

systran posted:

I'm reading FOREVER WAR...

It's AMAZING how fast we used to think our space travel technology would advance. The stuff he has going on in this novel is something that--today--authors would probably project to be two-hundred years from now, and Haldeman predicted it 25 years out.

I know prediction isn't the point of sci-fi, but it's really interesting to see how we just assumed things would keep going. It seems like a rather reasonable assumption since we went from zero to the moon so quickly.

I know what you mean. I'm at the last few chapters of 2001: A Space Odyssey (finishing tonight), and what you say holds true here as well. I like how Clark maintained a sense of reality (the mission to the outer belts, taking a seemingly realistically approachable length of time).

One of the main themes that impressed me was Clark's prediction of Big Data (as it relates to my job). Discovery One sends back mass amounts of data to be analyzed by scientists later. This is a very simplified explanation of how big data works in today's world. I never heard anybody mention this before, and it really wasn't focused on in the book.

If you haven't read 2001 yet, I highly recommend it.

edit:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I'm reading 2001 right now and am finding the same thing, it's pretty funny. The book is amazing though so I can look past the fact that it's 2014 and we're no where near the stuff Clarke was positing we could be at 13 years ago.

:cheers: What chapter are you on?

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 22, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Just finished 34 - The Orbiting Ice and am probably not terribly far from where you are since I also expect I'll be finishing it tonight :)

e; actually you're probably further along than me since I just checked and I still have like 12 chapters to go

Just a bit further. Halfway through Part Six. Can't wait to finish it tonight and hear your thoughts.

edit: about a part we've both read, I really liked HAL in the book. It just seemed more cold and calculated. The opening of the air lock doors gave me chills. And then HAL's begging, and eventual regression. Reading this has really sparked new understanding of the film, despite the differences.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 22, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Yeah, opening the airlock was a huge "oh poo poo" moment.

I'm also impressed with how claustrophobic the book feels. The thought of being millions and millions of miles from Earth, with no direct communication link and no one for company except a psychopathic AI is really chilling and Clarke conveys it so well.

You're right. Bowman handles the isolation spectacularly well. I appreciated the monotony was described in the book, how Bowman and Poole worked together as professionals, how they grew to know each other, and how Bowman had to deal with HAL's mutiny (carefully calculating each response, knowing every tiny detail of his communication was being dissected at the most intricate level).

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

savinhill posted:

Can people identify what book they're posting the blocks of black lines for?

Sorry. Didn't think it was necessary since that conversation started about 3 posts prior within a 2 hour time period.

systran posted:

2001: A Space Odyssey, which you DEFINITELY don't want spoiled... lol

In fairness, the closer to the end of the book you get the more it diverges from the movie. I started reading the book knowing this, but am happy I didn't actually read anything that directly gave away some of the moments that surprised me, so I figured others might feel the same way.

edit: finished it, then skipped through the movie and watched the different parts, and the end. I'm going to try to not annoy the hell out of everyone I know ranting all day how amazing 2001 is.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 23, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

House Louse posted:

Actually most dinosaurs, not just theropods, may have had feathers. I like to imagine ceratopsians with long flowing quills on their frills. Or perhaps hadrosaurs.

totally not as cool, stop raining on the dino-knight parade

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

House Louse posted:

I bet you hate griffins too. And giant eagles. And rocs. Although the main problem that guy has is that he's sitting on his bird's neck.

I don't mind all of those things because they're not trying to change dinosaurs.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

mallamp posted:

Do we even know if Dinosaur Lords takes place on earth? I doubt it's historical fantasy.

It probably takes place on planet Pluto.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Are there any goon scifi book club things? I mean besides this thread. Something where chapters are set each week and discussed? I stuck with it through the first few books back when we read Wheel of Time and enjoyed it quite a bit and would like to do that again. Looked the TBB but didn't find one. If not, anybody feel like doing that?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We have the Book of the Month and right now someone's running a mystery read-along but there's no current let's read for SF or F. I am going to make Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October next month's book of the month.

That sounds interesting, might get in on that. I'd be down for a let's read of some good SF.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Amberskin posted:

I liked the second book more than the first one. And yes, it is about a different person, indirectly related to Perry.

Edit:

I've just finished The Martian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_(Andy_Weir)). It is a hard SF novel about a guy who gets stranded in Mars when his fellow astronauts have to evacuate their landing site, thinking he is dead.

The good: it is difficult to put down the book. Most of it is written diary-style, in a very plain language (lots of 'gently caress', 'crap', 'yay' and similar) but with plenty of numbers to digest for the nerdy readers (you'll learn how many poatatoes you need to survive for more than a year, and how many water you will need to keep them alive, for instance). The technical details _seem_ to be accurate, and the writer has clearly done his research.

The bad: The writing is sometimes sloppy (perhaps it is intended, I'm not sure), and the structure of the book is quite irregular.

It is not a "world building" book. The world is our world. NASA still runs the american space program, the chinese are trying to keep pace with it, ESA astronauts fly in american spaceships. The technology is completely current-time. No magic devices anywhere. So it is somewhere in the border between a techno-thriller and a science fiction book.

I have liked it a lot.

I "read" this one in audiobook from audible, and it was fantastic.

The book wasn't originally expected to be such a success as it was. The author was simply an astrophysics nerd writing as a hobby. He published serialized chapters on his blog for free. People then asked him to convert it to ebook formats for ease of reading, and then asked him to put it on amazon for an even easier method of putting on a kindle, it got tons of downloads, got noticed, got published, got on the NY Times best seller list, and is now going to be made into a movie directed by Ridley Scott.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Kraps posted:

Holy crap, have a link?

No but basically just google the martian ridley scott

Amberskin posted:

Yeah, I felt the same. The interactions between the earth characters are quite awful and cliche. You have all the usual suspects: the risk-averse beaurocrat, the brilliant-but-socially-inept geek, the not-so-shy-but-charming female and so on. Somehow it recalls also some Arthur C. Clarke writings. Zero character development, lots of pretty ideas-science-engineering stuff.

I don't think this book even needed character development. It was simply about a well-rounded and intelligent person that has to think themselves out of a situation.

Everybody in the book was professional. You're right about a few of the cliche's, but I felt that's just the way it is in that environment. I can see how some people may not like that. Regarding Watney, the author specifically stated in an interview that he didn't want to focus on the emotional impact that level of solitude would create. I guess there was some sort of emotional journey, but it isn't talked about much, at least until the end, and only regarding the protagonist.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Kraps posted:

I put that up to training and the need to survive. IIRC I think Watney sometimes loses it but immediately recovers because of that.

Log Entry: Sol X
I am hosed and I'm gonna die! (explains situation)

Log Entry: Sol X 2
Well, I'm not dead! (explains how situation was solved)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

mallamp posted:

Martian? Yes, but people* will say it's Gravity ripoff and it'll flop.

*People who haven't read the book

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Good to hear positive things about The Peripheral. Just listened to the first 5 or 6 chapters on audible driving home from the holidays. I wanted to get some clarity so if anybody who has read it can help clear it up I get what's going on with Flynne and Burton. But what the hell is up with this skydiving tattooed performance artist or whatever-the-gently caress? As usual, Gibson's prose is leaving me a little confused here.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Kesper North posted:

You're not supposed to know yet. That confusion is intentional on Gibson's part.

:argh: yeah I figured.

Re-listened to just those chapters now (on 8 now) at 1.5x (which is, laughably, normal speed for this narrator - I'll probably do it for the rest of the book) and she just landed on the patcher's island thing

edit: and they were apparently shredded to bits. Interested to see where this goes!

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 2, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Junkenstein posted:

Talking about the Goodread awards, anything, erm, good in there? I see City of Stairs, which I'm currently enjoying, but there also seems to be some questionable stuff in there as well.

I couldn't get into City of Stairs. It felt too political. I might try it again because I keep seeing good things being said about it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

systran posted:

I'm halfway through City of Stairs and the present tense is still irking me. It just feels like they are not making actual use of the present tense and that it was done for no real reason. I strongly feel that third-person past is the default, and unless you have a good reason to deviate from that, don't. First-person present is also another form of a default, but third-person present is just really weird to me.

I have some other weird aversions to the writing style in general, but I'm enjoying the story itself so far. I'm reading it very slowly though and rarely feel a big urge to keep reading it, though I will finish it.

This was another thing. It didn't keep my attention very well and there are too many books on my reading list to waste time on one that doesn't grip me.

Now that I'm a little further into the The Peripheral, things are starting to make sense and I'm really like it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Mark Watney is man's man. A steely eyed missile man.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm reading The Martian now and enjoying it in general, but I'm not too impressed with the diary writing. It feels sort of lazy to me, I guess. It could've been written in 3rd person with lots of internal monologue from Mark and then had much better writing about the scenery and stuff. I haven't read them, but if I remember correctly there were other Mars books that basically had Mars as a well-described character, which some people found boring. I think that would've been a better format for this book, as then I think things like Mark's utter isolation and Mars' desolation could've come through a lot better.

I think this is partly because the author originally wrote it as a serialized blog, in which he challenged himself with overcoming technical problems. It wasn't intended as a book until fans of the blog encouraged him to make it available in ebook format, then he put it out as a novel and it was a huge success. It's actually very interesting how it came to be.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I'm neck deep in a few books right now (Caliban's War, The Quantum Thief, Fall of Hyperion, The Children of Hurin) but I'm looking for a recommendation for my wife, who wants to get into something good. She was asking me for recommendations but I didn't really know what to recommend as I'm into different stuff.

She's looking for:
- Less than 500 pages (not exact, but she's seen me reading Wheel of Time paperbacks...)
- Fairytale fantasy - mythology may include but is not limited to magic, dragons, other folklore creatures
- She mentioned she likes Stardust (Gaiman) in terms of its fairytale stuff (She also likes Ever After, Grim, and Into the Woods so there's that)
- Not Game of Thrones level violence or sex stuff (although we enjoy GoT together)
- Not vampires (past her Sookie phase)
- She didn't specifically state, but I'm sure the strong female protagonist would be great

Also, last book I finished was City of Stairs, and that poo poo was good. I didn't like it at first - thought it was too political/religion-centric (read first chapter, put it down for a few weeks, picked it up on a whim and powered through). I told her she'd probably like that a lot so she may pick it up too.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 2, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Those are some great sounding recommendations! Thanks!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

andrew smash posted:

Mythago wood, Robert holdstock. Excellent especially in the "fairytale fantasy" sense.

Dang I want to read that one. I put these suggestions on an amazon wishlist for her. Can't wait to see what she picks. I'll probably read along.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Jedit posted:

The Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner sounds almost perfect.

If she can stand a longer story with shorter instalments, I'd also recommend the Indigo Saga by Louise Cooper. Eight books, but all around the 300-page mark. The protagonist is not only strong female but also female female.

Nice, I've added those to the list.

I'm adding all of these to an amazon wishlist for her kindle. We'll probably end up hunting for those without a kindle edition at the local book store.

I also added The Windup Girl, as I've read good things about it (I know it's not exactly what I described, but I think she'll like it)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Snuffman posted:

As much as I loved the story and setting, the brutal and graphic rape scene mid way through the book always makes Windup Girl a tricky recommendation.

Hm, good to know. I thought I remembered reading a spoiler about that while back. I'll probably just warn her.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Blood of Elves: I'm a fan of the Witcher games. I snuck this on the list to see if she'll read it and like it, then I can gloat that she read a book based on a video game I like.

Jonathan Strange and Mr.Norrell: Added for later. Probably not one to get her going, but sounds like something she might like later on.

Auntie Mame series: Haha, she might really like that a lot. Sounds like Dresden Files but an older lady?

Seanan Mcquire's Indexing: Sounds good, added (bonus points for kindle unlimited).

I'm adding these all to an amazon wishlist. I got her a kindle for her as an early birthday present (should arrive today), so she's probably just going to go to that list and get a few. Books that aren't on kindle are added to the list so maybe we can find it at the local bookstore. She's also probably going to pick the one that she can get her friends to read as sort of a book club, but they're all into such different stuff that they can't even decide on what tv show to watch together.

In other news: I'm loving the gently caress out of The Quantum Thief (although I had to start it over after visiting wikipedia to figure out what the hell was going on. It makes so much more sense now that I know what all this technology is, and it's amazing.)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Forgall posted:

Games are based on books, not other way around actually.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The Witcher games are based on the books, not the other way around.

:aaaaa: Mind. Blown.

That's actually what I meant. That I can gloat that she liked a book that a video game I like was based on. Too much coffee. But thanks for quoting my oversight for posterity!

Megazver posted:

If she doesn't know, he can still gloat about it. :D

And gloat I will. Rest assured.

Seriously nobody wants to talk about The Quantum Thief? I love this poo poo and that thread is dead.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

withak posted:

The secret to reading Dune is read in the order they were written, and to stop as soon as you finish a book that you don't like that much. They only get worse from there.

This goes hand in hand with the quote posted

quote:

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: "Now it’s complete because it’s ended here."

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Just finished The Quantum Thief. Man, that was good. I didn't want it to end. Does The Fractal Prince just pick up where TQT left off?

I had to stop reading the Hannu thread at page 3 to avoid TFP spoilers.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Antti posted:

So these days buying books in dead tree is more a question of collecting and loaning to others than actually buying to read. What a time to be alive.

Printed books are the new vinyl records.

edit: speaking of grim-dark fantasy - I'm looking for some quick reading, dark, visceral high fantasy current / ongoing series to get into to balance out complexity and confusion of The Quantum Thief trilogy. I like to balance my sci-fi with fantasy, and heavy reading with casual reading. I normally trog through the Wheel of Time or Game of Thrones, and I was about halfway through The Children of Hurin, but I'm looking for something more casual and also current (so I'm reading what others are actively reading and want to converse about, instead of reading through the classics). I want something that's less about historical lineage and keeping up with houses and alliances, and more about kicking rear end, but I don't want to read a straight up D&D campaign or something I would've thought was rad in high school (I'm looking at you, Drizzt). I was thinking that The Black Company might fill that hole - is that really what I'm looking for?

tl;dr: I'm looking for a current Conan-type series to get into

edit 2: The Fractal Prince: gently caress this is good.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 19, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

the JJ posted:

The Black Company is great and basically what you describe. The Lies of Locke Lamorra are basically that plus a really good heist movie, so that'd be cool too.

Nice. Figured I was on the right path.

I just signed up for goodreads - is there a goodreads group? nvm found it (but there should just be one for sf-f.)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
A while back there was a thread for reading through the WoT as a group, with designated chapters for each week. (A "let's read"?)

Anybody feel like doing something like that some sci-fi/space opera series? (Or should this go in the space opera thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Ani posted:

I thought Three Parts Dead was pretty lighthearted and read very quickly, whereas City of Stairs was relatively slower going, and felt a bit more "literary". If you like it (I did!) the author has written two other books in the same universe, but with different characters.

I read City of Stairs immediately after William Gibson's The Peripheral, and it felt like such an easy quick read. Now that I'm reading The Causal Angel, CoS feels like a children's book.

Basically what I'm saying is gently caress, this poo poo is confusing and hard to process but it's so goddamn good