Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

r0ck0 posted:

You know what a boat is? Its a hole in the water you throw money in.

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Have you thought about just buying a duplex and renting out one side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Going back to AI chat briefly, I just got into a huge argument with my sister over the fact that her car mechanic told her to come back in 3 months to get her brake pads replaced, when she was in having her brake rotors replaced. Apparently "pads are cheap, they could have put the new ones in when reassembling everything" and "now you'll have to just pay more for extra labor" is totally crazy how dare I question the mechanic and we don't have the kind of money you do Sirotan!! Spending $20 to save $60 three months in the future is just to hard a concept to grasp I guess.

Then my mom chimes in about how her premium luxury car costs premium dollars to repair and how she just "doesn't get why".

This all came about while I was telling them I was gonna buy a jack, jack stands, and a creeper this week to do my brakes. My mom: "Couldn't you just take it in instead?"

Meanwhile, sister's boyfriend is off buying a used car. He calls after we're done arguing and says the dealership told him if he wanted it today he had to lock in his 9% ARP rate by signing right now otherwise it would go up tomorrow. Oh and he asks my sister if he should buy the warranty, on the 10yo minivan, at 9%.

ayyyyy

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 31, 2016

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just for reference, a cooking magazine I just got had a page with figures on grocery store spending, and states the following (sourced from the USDA, Census, a couple other groups):

Average spent in a month on groceries for:
Family of 4: $989
Family of 2: $625
Family of 1: $284

And spending by region per month per person:
Easterners: $444
Westerners: $420
Southerners: $370
Midwesterners: $348

Groceries account for 6% of the family spending, and prices have risen 55% over the past 15 years.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Subjunctive posted:

How can those be the average person when the per-person divisions of the family average are all less?

I think it's based on a family of 4. Maybe. It doesn't really specify beyond it being per person per month. :iiam:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bhodi posted:

Careful with statements like this because it means the complete opposite if it's not inflation adjusted dollars.

Literally just quoting what the article said:

Btw Allrecipes.com Magazine is pretty GWM at $5/yr. Good recipes that cost reasonable amounts of money to make!!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Senf posted:

I save $5 a year by looking up the same recipes online :smug:

You're missing out bro

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

RheaConfused posted:

In Texas it's two years. Still sucks.

And then you have colleges like the University of Michigan:

quote:

The University of Michigan has autonomous, constitutional authority to establish residency guidelines that apply to the University. The University’s residency guidelines are independent of other state rules or regulations governing residency for other purposes, including income and property tax liability or eligibility to vote or drive.

To qualify for in-state tuition at the University of Michigan on the basis of being a Michigan resident, you must establish that Michigan is your permanent legal residence. In other words, you must establish that the State of Michigan is your home and that you intend to remain in the State permanently. This will depend on, among other things, where you live, work, and attend school; where you have lived, worked, and attended school; where your parents or guardians live; and other evidence that you intend to make Michigan your permanent home.

They denied residency to a friend's husband after they'd lived in Ann Arbor for three years so he had to pay out of state tuition the entire time. Tuition went up 4% this year, and Michigan's endowment is around $11 billion right now. gently caress them.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Weatherman posted:

In other words, "I saw a 'limited time special' to glorious Nippon and well, who could blame me for blowing the entirety of my savings on such a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?"

If anyone else needs to make a BWM trip to Tokyo, there is a totally :krad: deal on LA-Tokyo for <$500 rt right now: http://ow.ly/psRK302LCHN I want to impulse buy this so bad.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nitrox posted:

Civilized places only. Detroit don't count

lol, living in Detroit is pretty BWM unless you're gonna buy a house to rehab (and even then, yeah wouldn't recommend it). Rent downtown is north of $2/sqft these days.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

canyoneer posted:

Yeah Tokyo is mega expensive.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/tokyo?currency=USD

If you skip a meal every day, buy no souvenirs, and walk everywhere you may be able to make it work for $300!

You could definitely do a week in Tokyo on $300 if your housing was already taken care of. Assuming you stay in the city itself, subways are fairly cheap, lots of temples and poo poo you can stroll through that are free, the city is very safe and walkable. Plenty of cheap izakayas and food stands or noodle joints to get a meal in at <$5 USD.

I mean, it would be a challenge and a waste to go to Tokyo and be stuck on a budget of that amount because you'll miss out on a ton of cool stuff, and you'd really have to do your research, but you *could* do it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Considering the one and only Kickstarter I ever bought in to, the guy ran away with all the cash and gently caress-all could be done about it (KS refused to step in and a participant even went to the attorney general of the state the guy lived in and they declined to prosecute), I would say they are pretty GWM if you're the one collecting the dough. If it doesn't work out just defraud everyone!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

And now he's back home. :3: Spending money on medical care for your pets is only BWM if you can't afford it. And if you can't afford it, you shouldn't have pets. I spent close to $1k on a guinea pig surgery and aftercare once, and I'd do it again if I had to.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Solice Kirsk posted:

It'll live out the remainder of its 2 week lifespan in comfort.

I know you're being sarcastic here but

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Lady Gaza posted:

I feel like this fits the thread title very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-55nwoXHG-w

That was really loving funny. The lawyer having a Dutch name was a great authentic touch. I grew up in Grand Rapids and didn't know until I was about 20 that Amway/Alticor/Quixtar was just a huge MLM. They even trucked my middle school class out to the HQ for a 'field trip' once and all I can remember is them attempting to market Amway brand shampoo to a bunch of 13 year olds.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Moneyball posted:

Not to mention, you get to call yourself a Rad tech. :c00lbert:

Still not as good as a Penetration Tester.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ate all the Oreos posted:

I got most of my underwear free from my mommy for christmas :smug:

There was a time in my life where I hated getting socks for Christmas. Now I'm ecstatic if I get socks for Christmas. I.....I think that means I'm an adult now. 😟

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^^ don't be dissin the mitten

Zero One posted:

Sharing my cork pics

Hi fellow Michigander, I would happily take some of those off your hands if you don't want them all.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 5, 2016

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

froglet posted:

I paid $80 to have somebody use a special heavy duty vacuum thingy and anti-goon spray on my mattress.

I dunno, I think it's money well spent although there's a pretty good chance it's all placebo. Even if it's done nothing, I feel like I've done everything possible to manage my hayfever and asthma.

Just get a dust cover man, then you can take it off periodically and wash it.

I had to get a new mattress last year after my 10 year-old one develop a noticeable dip in the middle. Buying a mattress sucks, most department/mattress stores all sell the exact same product that has just been rebranded, trying to buy one based on reviews seems fraught with peril, and laying on one in a store for 5 minutes never feels adequate. I ended up getting one at Sears and it worked out fine I guess. Now I'm just on a never-ending quest to find some pillows that don't turn to poo poo after ~4 months.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

In Boston there's a company that does this called "Deathwish Piano Movers" that also moves all sorts of giant heavy expensive stuff. I can only imagine how much that it costs to hoist a piano out of one apartment and into another.

*triggered*

If you live in an apartment and own a piano, you are an rear end in a top hat. My first apartment living experience, my downstairs neighbor not only had a piano, but was a piano teacher. She'd have students in on the weekends and they would play the same pieces over and over and over and over and over, this would go on for 6-8 hours a day depending on how many students she had. You really can't escape or muffle the sound of a piano in an apartment building, either. Earplug didn't help. Saddest thing is, of the half dozen or so apartments I've lived in, she was still one of my least obnoxious neighbors.

BWL: apartment living in a college town

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

sparkmaster posted:

34k worth of car is... a lot of car.

Or a very average truck.

I just spent two weeks driving around in $60k worth of brand new SUV due to a work project, then came home to my 16yo (in great shape and paid off since I drove it home) Toyota. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have intense new car envy now. I think it was the heated seats.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

JohnGalt posted:

Did it have the AC blowers on your butt?

Possibly, but I was up in the northern LP and middle UP of Michigan so didn't have much use for AC. Lane Assist tho was some almost magical poo poo.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

meatpotato posted:

I've got a friend who is probably bad with money but earns a lot. He just bought a $50k Ford Focus RS. I won't lie, that thing is extremely fun to ride in. But gently caress paying $50k +insurance for a daily driver unless you're making multiple hundreds of thousands a of dollars a year. I'll be rocking my 1990s car and a bicycle until they fall apart.

E: He had a 2014 WRX for two years before the RS. The man likes fast AWD cars.

How do you even pay $50k for any style of Ford Focus, let alone a hatchback? I just checked and the base model price is $37k. :psyduck:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I work at a 501(c)(3) and am basically banking on PSLF to unsuck my financial life in about 4 years so thanks for the momentary panic attack I guess.

Edit: :hf: Tyro :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Residency Evil posted:

Huh, you too? Geico has been the cheapest car insurance company for me, almost to a ridiculous level. When I had my GTI I paid $200/6 months for comprehensive/enough liability to drive through a preschool during recess.

I also have Geico, liability-only coverage on my 16yo Camry is $272/6 months. BWM: living in Michigan, which has the highest car insurance rates in the nation. Subsidizing lifetime medical coverage for the uninsured, aww yeahhhhh.

(Luckily I don't live in Detroit, I'd be paying another 50% on top of that.)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I can't remember the name, but I got stuck watching one of those really bad low-rent home flipping shows (not fancy like Property Brothers). The manufactured drama on this episode was the home they were flipping had been flipped by one of their team members just five years before. They even found a time capsule he put in the wall! And it looked horrible. Like there's no way any a recently renovated home should look like this unless you do terrible work.

They really didn't address the home's condition except to make fun of some of his design choices. But it was a pretty good PSA on why you shouldn't buy flipped houses.

Zombie House Flipping, because I watch way too many of these goddamn things. Also yeah that one is particularly terrible.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You can usually get gas from Costco stations for $.10-.15/gal less than other stations as well, at least that's the normal spread I've seen here in Michigan. Takes a whole year maybe but I usually get my memberships value just from that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

baquerd posted:

I have unfailingly gotten alerts from CreditKarma in real-time when my credit is pulled. Helped me call out a car salesman as a liar (redundant, I know) when they said it would just be a soft pull. Not quite as good as a freeze, but I like the feature.

Same. Because of the OPM breach I've got actual credit monitoring paid for by the government, but that takes sometimes 1-2 weeks before they let me know there's been a change on my credit report. As an added bonus, the majority of the notifications I get from them are about sex offenders in my area. :confused: Past couple of months I've been dealing with someone trying to steal my identity through unemployment fraud and opening cards in my name, I don't mind a little data mining on CreditKarma's behalf in exchange for the ~30sec notification to changes in my report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Having to settle on a week's vacation to debt-laden Puerto Rico :qq:

• Locked thread